main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Time Period/Era For New Film Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Feb 21, 2018.

?

When do you think the new films will be set

1. Before ANH and after ROTS - Weiss/Benioff

6 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. Before TPM- Weiss/Benioff

100 vote(s)
    64.9%
  3. After ROTJ and before TFA- Weiss/Benioff

6 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. After IX- Weiss/Benioff

12 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Before ANH and after ROTS- RJ trilogy

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  6. Before TPM- RJ Trilogy

29 vote(s)
    18.8%
  7. After ROTJ and before TFA- RJ trilogy

11 vote(s)
    7.1%
  8. After IX- RJ trilogy

68 vote(s)
    44.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I think it’s an absolute strength, as it is in Middle Earth. I love the sense that these films are historical period pieces. Rogue One and Solo, for example, are clearly set during that distinct dark times era, with oppressive Imperial presence and that dintinct architecture, etc. And they also have that late 70s vibe which places them in the OT historical mode. I’d like for them to keep that up. Make us feel when the stories are set simply by how everything looks. Even if the stories themselves are only lightly connected.

2. CaptainEO

CaptainEO Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    Many Years from Now, In a Galaxy Far Far Away.

3. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    A Really ****ing Long Time Ago, In a Galaxy Far Far Away

Lee_ and darklordoftech like this.
  4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Weiss/Benioff timeline: The beginning of the Old Republic, the Jedi Order, etc.

Green_Destiny_Sword likes this.
  5. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    RJ Trilogy - In the future 100s or 1000s of years after episode IX. There'll be a huge time gap to clear the slate so that everything in the film is new. It'll kind of be a reboot, even more than TFA was.

Weiss/Benioff - The Old Republic. I think they are suited to it and there's a lot of demand for Old Republic films.

black_saber likes this.
  6. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    Right now in a Galaxy Far Far Away

7. Kliff Veylander

Kliff Veylander Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2018
    Long time lurker here, Since shortly after Lucas severed his ties, and sold to Disney. Personally I have enjoyed pretty much everything up until TLJ.
    Since the title announcement I've been cautious.
    Since all the film titles in each previous trilogy had a "wording" pattern.
    (There was a thread about that somewhere.)
    I don't agree with some (major) aspects of TLJ.
    Although I enjoyed SOLO, I did not like L3....(dialogue, mannerisms)
    Anyway,
    I've played SW:TOR for years a while back, then couldn't afford subscriptions. Can't REALLY play it free/non-subscribed. It gets you hooked and takes all your money. (lol)
    Got thru all 8 Main storylines to lvl 50. 1 to 55.
    I had like 14 characters running thru every story up to until ROTHC expansion.
    Love the game.
    Anyway (again!)
    I did like L3's head. Somewhat similar to some of the droids in SWTOR.
    To the point.
    I KNOW SOME OF YOU WANT TO SEE SWTOR/KOTOR on the big screen, but...

If whoever wants to do 'IN THE PAST' film, series or trilogy.
    Since SWTOR is not "actual" canon, I personally DO NOT believe LF/Disney will ever use the SAME/EXACT major characters (and their stories) and unique planets set in the game.
    They will not do the same stories either.

If they do do it, they will take major characters and write "their own" stories. The game and KOTOR games will have a rewritten history from the "official" people.
    I am aware of "Darth Bane" from TCW.
    I am aware of George changing KORRIBAN to MORABAND to not confuse with Coruscant. (I prefer Korriban) sounds more 'dark" - with good reason..

I think it would be TOTALLY RADICAL to see the major characters and factions fighting on film.
    IF IT WAS THE SAME STORIES ALREADY WRITTEN!!!!

Or they will totally disregard everything the producers/writers of those games did, and do their own thing.
    Which will mess everything all up.
    Before TFA, there were rumors of Luke finding an ancient Jedi temple was tossed around, I initially thought of TYTHON.. but no..

Besides, they cant copy everything from KOTOR/TOR and put it on film and not credit/pay the REAL writers from the games. Although That would be cool in my book.
    I do like Mandalorians.
    Some stories on them would be nice.
    Not a rant, I just don't see how they can do it (at the exact times of the games) and not take already established stories/settings/planets/ vehicles, and copy them for film/live action.
    They will either adapt the stuff or make more ( and more, and more, and more" new" stuff.

kalzeth likes this.
  8. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Rian Johnson has said his trilogy is not based in any timeline in the old republic, only time will if the benioff and weiss will base there star wars series in that era.

kalzeth likes this.
  9. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    We have a thread that's already addressing the possible time period(s) of both these series, so I'm going to merge this thread with that one.

10. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Big news. Though she didn't say there was going to be a KOTOR movie. Only that they are developing something in the Old Republic timeline "to look at," and that they talk about it all the time.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    The GoT guys will make The Old Republic/Past movies. RJ will make the after the ST/Future movies. However, they will be linked together through the Worlds Between Worlds. The Worlds Between Worlds Saga.

Hey, that WBW thing exists might as well use it right? 8-}[face_clown]

13. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Please, please, please. Just give them that timeline, $200M per episode and leave them alone.

14. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    A majority voted that Weiss and Benioff will set their trilogy before TPM, and RJ will set his trilogy after TROS. Me I voted RJ trilogy will be before TPM.

15. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I really liked the idea that this would be a six part saga and they would all work on 3 movies (not stoked Rian is working on one part of the saga but I’m hoping it’s before the TPM way before like first Jedi and Sith, because anything in the future one wonders where Rey and everyone is. Which we won’t see for awhile depending on what happens. So a past saga would be awesome. I hope they take some ideas from marvel in the sense that planning is good.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I want two separate trilogies that are only loosely connected and very distant in terms of time and place.

DarthRosie and PymParticles like this.
  17. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I've wanted this since before either of the new trilogies/series were announced, since it seemed to be the best way to explore Star Wars' history while also pushing it forward. I also think the narrative density implicit with exploring the history of this series will appeal more to hardcore fans while still maintaining a ton of mainstream appeal, while the lighter tone that can come with just having a fun adventure set far in the future to separate it from anything recognizable could be the perfect way to give younger fans "their Star Wars." It's the best of both worlds.

I called it the "Star Wars Alpha" and "Star Wars Omega" sagas in my head those years ago [face_blush]

Bor Mullet likes this.
  18. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm hoping the new saga is like 1000 years after the Skywalker Saga. I'd like for the events we've watched unfold over the past 40 years to be part of their distance history. So they're still known, but not intimately relevant to society.

19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    This is the truth.

PymParticles likes this.
  20. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Technology would likely have to be mad advanced by that time though....

21. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    Why? Seems like SW tech is pretty stagnant over the previous thousands of years.

22. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    It wouldn't strike you as at least odd that technology would not have developed really over the course of say...a couple thousand years?? It would for me. It does strike me a little odd that the KOTOR era looks very similar in tech (as far as I know-I've never played them) to the Skywalker saga. Comparing the 50 or so years across the Skywalker saga though doesn't really count IMO since it's only a matter of several decades. Besides, there are minor things that had advanced over that time: the smaller starfighters having their own mini hyperdrives, advances in medical tech (like skin grafting) etc.

23. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    There should obviously be some advances, but it wouldn't need to be "mad advanced." Once you've developed FTL travel, there really isn't a ton of advancement left.

24. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    I guess I'm really just saying I'd hope that any films they do that far into the future have some sort of development/advancement either technologically or even aesthetically-rather than simply more of the same. I'd want it to FEEL like it's 1000 years after the Skywalker Saga. Now, if they set it more like only 100 years after, then I agree-it would make sense for it to look pretty much the same.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  25. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Technological advancement in the Galaxy is weird. It seems to be a development in Style rather than fundamental tech.

The Astromechs go from exposed wheels to R2 garbage bins, to bowling balls. Not much different in functionality.

Trooper armor is still useless, but it looks like it was designed by Apple now.

In a thousand years time?
    Same stuff, but glossier?
    Astromechs get to hover (like probe droids)? Get a more futuristic bleepy sound?