main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RJ Trilogy Who Should Score Rian Johnson's New Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Chained Prometheus, Dec 28, 2017.

?

Who Should Score Rian Johnson's Trilogy?

1. John Powell

9 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. Michael Giacchino

23 vote(s)
    31.1%
  3. Alexandre Desplat

4 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. Howard Shore

4 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. Other

32 vote(s)
    43.2%
  6. A Different Composer for Each Film

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Ramin Djawadi is probably more likely to work on the Weiss/Benioff series, what with the GoT connection. But that man absolutely has to score a Star Wars film.

ohms and Darth_Accipiter like this.
  2. Ralphis

Ralphis Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2018
    I'd love James Horner, but he's unfortunately no longer with us.

I haven't seen Brian Tyler mentioned yet, so I'm going to throw his name in there.

3. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    They should give it to young Michael Kramer. His tracks for the Freemaker Adventures was very impressive. Give him a bigger stage.

teamhansolo likes this.
  4. xoubara

xoubara Jedi Master star 2

Mar 4, 2003
    My picks:

Dario Marianelli:

Carter Burwell:

James Newton Howard

I used to think Giacchino could be the new John Williams, but I think he has on his hands far more projects than he is capable of handling adequately. If he was to compose the music for RJ's new trilogy, he should focus entirely on it, rejecting other works.

teamhansolo likes this.
  5. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Enya.
    Pan pipes and violins, and choir voices sounding like they are floating over the misty moors.

6. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    John Carpenter.

GregMcP likes this.
  7. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    John Powell did an amazing job on Solo, but if Rian's trilogy involves weird new characters on weird new worlds, then this could be a perfect opportunity to drift even further away from JW's musical template. I agree that Nathan Johnson seems like a good bet...and a good choice.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    teamhansolo likes this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I’d like to hear a non-orchestral soundtrack for this. Or at least, a much more dissonant one.

9. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Jed Kurzel would be a good choice for a more dissonant score, orchestral or otherwise. If you haven't heard them yet, check out his work for Macbeth, Assassin's Creed, Son of a Gun, Alien: Covenant, The Babadook.

Bor Mullet and xoubara like this.
  10. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Absolutely.
    In some space slasher thriller about an unstoppable reanimated zombie Sith Lord.

Siphonophore likes this.
  11. King Maul

King Maul Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2016
    Ramin Djawadi no doubt

12. Gräfin Zeppelin

Gräfin Zeppelin Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 14, 2019
    I really find Rogue Ones OST the best of the new films.

13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm going to parrot what I said last year on the previous page, but Nathan Johnson. 1) He's less well known than a lot of other go-to names like Hans Zimmer, so we'll get a score that could sound a bit "fresher" than we're used to from big blockbusters, and 2) he has done the music for every other film Rian Johnson has directed. Nathan knows what Rian needs from the score, they work well together and trust each other, and that comfort and prior collaborative relationship is important.

indydefense and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  14. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    Yanni! (Just kidding.) How about Clint Mansell (Moon) for the job?

15. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I'd like Ludwig Goransson to totally take the reins for Lucasfilm. Black Panther score was incredible. What we heard in that Madalorian snippet was incredible. All the work he's done for Gambino is incredible.

scuiggefest and Bor Mullet like this.
  16. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I know video game soundtrack-making and film soundtrack-making are different processes, but IMO nobody has come as close to the heart and soul (no pun intended) of John Williams’ work than Jeremy Soule did with Knights of the Old Republic. If he were to do a soundtrack as good as that one... RJ’s trilogy would be the best scored of the new movies...

He’d also be a good pick for the inevitable Episodes 10-12.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  17. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Desplat. I always thought it was a shame we never got to hear his Rogue One score. He’s a much better composer than most of the current crop, in my view.

Goransson (Mandalorian) and Djawadi (Game of Thrones) would also be great choices.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  18. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Not too many oldschool composers out there left, in that Williams mold.

But yeah, I've been curious to see what Desplat might do with SW since R1 didn't pan out, he's certainly different and of that modern generation, but kind of feel he might do something interesting. Different but still deferential and feeling right.

As for those of the "Williams school" vibe, I dunno. We've had Giacchino & Powell already...Horner's not around anymore...Silvestri maybe? He's not at his best these days, but even middling Silvestri's still better than most of the stuff out there in movies now. Enjoyed his Cap & Avengers/Infinity War/Endgame stuff a bunch, even if mostly the themes rather than the whole score.

Just...yeah, no people from Zimmer's company. **** that bleepity-blorp-bop-bop-bop-WAAAOORRGHH stuff, all sounds the same no matter the composer. They're all just Zimmer's students doing Zimmer, and even Zimmer himself sucks now.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    ChrisLyne and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  19. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    Joel McNeely. I love his soundtrack for Shadows of the Empire. Lucas clearly liked him as well, because he hired him to work on Young Indy and Radioland Murders.

20. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Yeah, McNeely would be rad. Seems like he's mostly doing animated stuff these days, think as a company they might want someone a bit more high-profile than McNeely for a SW project (film anyway), but I'd love to see him get a gig.

21. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    I'd love to see Alan Menken score an SW movie some day.

22. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Does Menken do full actual scores though, or more just write the big musical numbers?

23. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    He does the scores as well. Definitely underappreciated in that regard. It's rare for him to do a score where he's not also doing songs but he's done a few.

24. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Ah, cool. Yeah, I always just thought of him as the Disney Renaissance-era "songs with lyrics" guy, kinda just assumed someone else did the scene-to-scene orchestral stuff.

But yeah, he might be interesting in that sort of Mark Mothersbaugh out-of-left-field type of way.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Me. I'm pretty good. I wouldn't say I'm John Williams yet but I'm definitely close.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.