main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Potential remnants of Lord and Miller's vision

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Gamma626, May 25, 2018.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    They’re on location in the Dolomites, so it definitely was. Howard didn’t go back to the Dolomites.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Y'know how Vos with the original actor supposed to be a cat person? Vos in the (final) movie has, like, Cat people underlings, would that have been the Lord and Miller Vos?

It's interesting to go some of the movie's first leaks from TMZ of all places and back when Lord and Miller were shooting

http://www.tmz.com/2017/07/09/star-wars-han-solo-movie-new-set-photos-woody-harrelson/

white outfit for Qi'ra!
    [​IMG]
    (it looked like the floor descended too)

Vos' gear behind glass as opposed to exposed in the Howard reshoots
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    Glitterstimm and whostheBossk like this.
  3. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    If Vos’s cat people minions are what he would’ve looked like in the initial iteration, thank God that changed. Would have been a pretty lame villain.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I thought I understood the extent of the film's reshoots. Until I watched the BTS docs.

They discuss the "first day" like it was everyone's first day.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  5. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I'll be curious as to how much of Lord and Miller's involvement will be addressed in Rob Bredow's Making of Solo book.

6. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Anyone pick it up yet and have an answer for this?

7. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    Actually yes. I haven't read it yet, but looking through the photos, they're very visible in many facets of preproduction. Of course, Howard reshot the majority of the film, but it's instructive to remember that the overall look in conception and in production design came from Lord and Miller's involvement. And I believe we know for sure that the Han/Chewie fight and the location photography at the Dolomites came from the Lord/Miller shoot.

Bor Mullet, whostheBossk and Gamma626 like this.
  8. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I must admit I tend to think Lord and Miller were a big mistake right from the start, Abrams was already pushing it in terms of the parody approach but they were always likely to take it too far in this direction which is I suspect why they were fired.

9. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I'm gutted we never saw that Ewok.

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Kinda like that Ewok then? :p

Bor Mullet likes this.
  11. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    I wonder how far Miller And Lord pushed the humour. Lucasfilm liked and allowed TLJ to be released with humour ramped throughout the film what the hell they produced my mind can only boggle at!

12. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    It has to be the fact that they were slow and probably didn’t take orders very well.

13. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    I agree with you. That’s how I tend to lean.

whostheBossk likes this.
  14. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    Following up on Rob Bredow's Making Of book:

It's a pretty straightforward look at the making of the film with some good tidbits throughout, but it obviously doesn't get into any details regarding the director switch from Lord and Miller to Howard. That said, Lord and Miller aren't exactly hidden from the development process of the film. They're visible throughout preproduction, and also are seen in the exterior shoots at the Dolomites (for Vandor) and Fuerteventura (for Savareen), as well as the Kessel mine control room. So while Howard clearly guided the final execution of the film overall, the imprint of Lord and Miller on Solo can't be dismissed, especially because they cast every major role in it too, aside from Bettany.

There are also a couple of pretty candid moments, one in which Bredow recounts Kennedy asking him whether he thinks the film can still make its release date after Howard came on board. Later, Bredow asked Kennedy whether she thought it was a good idea to release a Making Of book for Solo given all of its production troubles, but she was completely supportive. Pretty indicative that not every troubled production results in a bad film.

wobbits, Bor Mullet and Sarge like this.
  15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Some of the best films of all time had troubled productions. Apocalypse Now, etc.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It's a Hollywood tradition. Lon Chaney's 1925 The Phantom of the Opera had 4 directors make final cuts.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  17. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    “Troubled Production” is probably too much of an understatement for Apocalypse Now, if anything.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  18. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Apoc Now was always in the hands of one director though and equally Rogue One you saw Tony Gilroy as someone Edwards had already worked with previously so I suspect there was more collaboration there than a lot of the talk makes it.

I wouldn't be supprised if the reshot Vos scenes went hand in hand with a shift in Qi'ra's character, I mean you do have a time shift but even besides that there seems like quite a difference in the character so perhaps pushing her in a more serious proactive direction was a movement in the Howard reshoots?

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    probably been posted before but I found Michael K Williams talking about his days as Dryden Vos, Howard said Vos needed to be reshot and Williams couldn't make the schedule. I honestly sounds like the same character as written just Williams and CGI creature. (Vos in the final film does have those CGI scars on his face, though). Be interesting but I love the Vos we got.

https://theplaylist.net/michael-k-williams-solo-20180309/
    Asked to describe his character, and what happened, Williams was very candid. He described the CGI character as half-man, half-mountain lion. “[Dryden Vos] was extremely sophisticated. Very rich. He’d been around the world, older guy, and it was sort of a love triangle between Emilia Clarke’scharacter, Qi’Ra and the young Han Solo,” Williams said.

“Not where it was overtly a love triangle but there was definitely a pissing contest going on for the girl’s attention,” Williams continued. “And [Vos] is old and [Han] is younger so it was that thing also going on, like ‘Young buck, I’ve been around the world.’ But he’s like ‘The young chick wants the young buck.’ So there was a little bit of that energy going on. But the relationship on paper was definitely with Qi’Ra and Han Solo.”

After giving background and context to his character, he then described what it was like hearing from Lucasfilm that Ron Howard was taking over the film. Williams said that Howard told the studio, “If you want me to save [Vos], we’re going to have to reshoot it, in it’s entirety.” This meant that Williams, who had already moved on to another production, would have to completely reshoot his role, which he was contractually unable to do. Of course, as we now know, his character was given a makeover, and Paul Bettany was hired to replace Williams.

Finally, Williams just took a second to describe the situation. “I’ve seen a lot of crazy ****,” he said. “But [the ‘Solo’ situation] was one for the textbooks.”

https://theplaylist.net/michael-k-williams-star-wars-20180910/
    So, the first question posed to the actor by Variety on a recent red carpet is simple — has he even seen the Williams-less finished product? “I have not had the chance to see ‘Solo’ but shout out to my castmates,” Williams said. “Even though I didn’t make the final cut, they’re still my cast mates. I love you guys.”
    However, on the positive side, this allows Williams the rare opportunity to give the “Star Wars” franchise a second shot, with a whole different character. And that’s an idea that appeals to him. When asked if he’s going to eventually see ‘Solo,’ he took the opportunity to drop a little hint for Lucasfilm, saying, “I’m quite sure I’ll get around to it but I’m more interested in getting another shot in being in that galaxy…I would love another opportunity to be in ‘Star Wars.’”

https://ew.com/movies/2018/03/06/solo-a-star-wars-story-michael-k-williams-dryden-vos/
    “There are some things in life, you just gotta laugh at it,” says Williams. “That was such an odd turn of events. That’s not the norm. As crazy a town as Hollywood is — I like to be the one that says I’ve seen a little bit of everything in this town — that was one for the textbooks. What are the odds of that happening? There comes a point, you just gotta throw your hands up and, you know what, it just wasn’t meant to be.”

Perhaps the hardest part for the actor is the fact that audiences won’t get a chance to see what he and his cast created together on the Millennium Falcon. “I will tell you this much though,” Williams adds. “What saddens me most is I was very proud of the work that I did. What I believe I have created with Emilia Clarke and Woody Harrelson and Alden [Ehrenreich, who plays Solo]… I thought it was some great work. We was on the spaceship, and we all had these amazing scenes together, and I thought it was a great opportunity, and I thought it was some great stuff. It’s unfortunate the world won’t get to see it.”

From this site, not sure if it is accurate but it does say Vos concept art. The Cat goons Vos had are probably a good indication of what he would have looked like
    https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-...-before-michael-k-williams-was-recast-a160982

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    whostheBossk likes this.
  20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Very glad Vos wasn’t a CGI werewolf. Would’ve loved to have MK Williams play the part, but as his human, badass self, not a hairy alien in a kimono.

21. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Chewie has noted your unreasonable hatred of hairy aliens in kimonos.

wobbits, PymParticles , EHT and 3 others like this.
  22. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Qi'ra's revealing white Japanese style outfit was filmed along with Dryden and his guards and this white clothed servant(also based on a Dryden concept) plus his jungle style original base was a set:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

According to Scanlan:

"Dryden Vos was both a dinosaur and bird, at one time. But the 'love triangle in Han's mind, that Qi'ra might have feelings for Dryden or that they may had a relationship, started to inform design. The idea of her going to bed with a reptilian bird[laughs] started to cross the line. Dryden became majestic, handsome, and more in line with someone that Han would feel some jealously,envy, or threat."

The cat-like concept above was born out of ideas that it was the same species as Zeb, a Lasat. The primate guards stuck all the way through but became more clothed and more fully helmeted.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think I'd probably prefer the Dryden we got. There's an underlying sense of menace in every scene Dryden is in and I don't think that would have translated as well with a CGI creature.

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    CGI creatures can be menacing, if they're done just right. I thought Smaug worked amazingly well in most of his scenes in The Hobbit. But there's plenty of examples of it not working, too.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Dryden as a full sized dragon would certainly have been menacing. Especially in such a tiny space.

11-4D and BigAl6ft6 like this.