main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Ships and Vehicles of The Mandalorian

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Django Fett, May 1, 2019.

1. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Seeing as nobody else has opened a thread on the ships and vehicles of the Mandalorian, here we go..

The Razorcrest
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It seems to be a very traditional design seen in spaceships of 1970/80s pop culture such as Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Blake's 7, Doctor Who etc...

2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Such a great design. Clearly and unmistakably from the GFFA (and really appropriate for a Mando bounty hunter in the conflict-ridden GFFA after the Empire's fall), but also new.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  3. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    It's a design good enough be a background ship. But as a main character's ship it just isn't special enough. There is nothing interesting about it and I feel I have seen every part of it many times before.

Sarge and guittarjedi like this.
  4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It looks fantastic. It might even challenge the U-Wing as my favorite new ship design of the Disney era.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    As a lover of that design, I’m with you. It rivals the U-wing! That’s a very rebellious thing for me to say.

6. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Rogue One is very upset with you! :p

Bor Mullet likes this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Don’t tell her.

8. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I'm definitely in the "eh, it's okay. It's no Slave One, no sir, but it does the job" camp.

9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That doesn’t sound like a fun camp. Do they at least have archery there?

10. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    It's very camp.
    We like our spaceships flamboyant.

LedReader, Sarge, B3 and 2 others like this.
  11. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Lets see what it's like on the inside before writing it off eh?

It does hark back to Slave IV, just a little leaner and looking more aggressive.
    [​IMG]

rumsmuggler likes this.
  12. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    And less over the top and ridiculous looking too. :p

That's taking a design so far it becomes cartoonish.

Sarge, Bor Mullet and Avnar like this.
  13. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Whoever designed that ship didn't do any research either. They based it on the Catalina flying boat but ignored the fact that flying boats have to have engines set as high as possible so they aren't near the water on take off or landing. Those GIANT engines hanging under the short wing area are a huge design flaw for a supposedly amphibious ship. Now other than the ridiculously oversized engines, I don't really see any similarities to the Razorcrest. I see the Razorcrest as a cross between the LAAT and Sugi's Halo.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Sarge likes this.
  14. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    'Cause, like, an X-Wing would work in the real world too.

Fairytale series - not aviation simulation, chief. None of this is supposed to be realistic, just very (very) broadly plausible in a "don't think too much about it" sense. This goes back to 1977.

15. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Is it any worse the Mist Hunter, The Punishing One, the Hounds Tooth or IG 2000?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

whostheBossk likes this.
  16. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    An X-wing? Yeah it does work. Of course for hovering and space flight it has magic technologies. But it has no real design flaws for real life thing (flying in air). Jaster's Legacy though has, and it is even worse when the design is based on a real life plane that doesn't have that flaw. It also looks stupid.

17. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    ^^^^
    WOOOOO!!!! YEAAAH!!!! THAT'S ONE HELL OF A PILOT!!!!

DarthKreVass and Bor Mullet like this.
  18. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I'm in the "it's pretty good but a little bit backgroundy for a hero ship" camp too. Felt similarly about The Ghost -- I loved it as the "family home" but it just never sang to me like a Falcon or Serenity. The much-derided Twilight actually did a bit more for me.
    I'm not EU-congnizant enough to know the sources of those, but the second one is actually potentially rather cool as a hybrid of the T-6 shuttle and some off-axis Corellian freighter tropes, although it lame greeblies come close to killing it. The rest of these are indeed atrocious.

Sarge likes this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    You’re wrong about the Razorcrest, of course, which is perfect :))), but why was the Twilight much-derided? That was my favorite ship design in TCW. A really great design.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  20. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    That's Jaster's Legacy from the Bounty Hunter game.

Personally i like the new ship, even though i wish it could have used a splash of color.

21. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    It is, but Slave IV was also of that ship type.

Because it is just an ATR-6 assault transport and B-wing smashed together.

The first one is Zuckuss and 4LOM's ship and is actually quite similar to the Razorcrest in its design and a little boring and generic.

2nd one is Dengar's ship which looks nice from some angles ...
    [​IMG]
    but terrible from others.

3rd ship is Bossk's and is an awesome spacebox. It is the space travelling version of the sandcrawler, originally built for the Corellia mining corporation I assume. It is instantly recognisable and is one of my favourite star wars ships. I love it.
    [​IMG] s

the 4th is IG-88's ship which is a bit weird with its pincer things and manoeuvring thruster arms , but it is still quite an interesting design. It makes me wonder how they would move while in space flight.

11-4D and whostheBossk like this.
  22. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    Oh! I did not know that they had retconned it to be that type of ship.

23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Bossk’s space box is really great until you get to the limp, curved wings at the bottom back, making it look like has a half-formed, dead torso or something. That space box needed a solid T-shaped back with big twin engines to be a perfect design. But yeah. I’m a fan of most of it.

24. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Interesting thing about the engine section at the back is how the design has been misunderstood, especially by TCW (they just put engines in the box section).
    You can see it quite well on this model. The whole rear was meant to rotate up the back of the box area (so the engine would, you know, push th ship forward not down lol)
    [​IMG]
    The fins would rotate 90° so they would be horizontal and level with the top of the ship.
    [​IMG]

Django Fett and Bor Mullet like this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Fair enough. But utility aside, the limp-looking fins just don’t fit the boxy design, and so it looks inconsistent or half-formed. It needed one or two more rounds of editing and refining to become a truly great Star Wars ship design.