main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Denver Pop Culture Con 2019

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by he-guy, Apr 21, 2019.

1. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    While our traditional and tremendously popular Friday night trivia panel did not get selected for the first time ever, we finally got confirmation today (less than 6 weeks until the 5/31-6/2 show).. the Star Wars groups are IN for exhibit space!! No real details yet, but expect it to operate similar to previous years in terms of space and volunteer commitment. :)

Sent from my Power Sword using the Force

2. Scotticus

Scotticus Jedi Padawan

May 13, 2017
    Oh man that stinks about the Trivia. But excited that Star Wars groups still get to be apart of the exhibit!

I assume the Star Wars Auction is still on for Make-A-Wish?

3. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    I don't know if the auction has been approved yet. Last I heard, they were still waiting..

4. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    Any word about the Star Wars Experience area?

5. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    We're still waiting on an official email from DPCC, but have been told we are in the same location and badges should be the same price. We'll take that with a grain of salt until we have that email.

We're holding off on the signup sheet Google doc and taking money until we get that info.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  6. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    Dale, have you heard from Patrick? I talked to him last week at Starfest and he mentioned something about having us man the van at DCC.

I have my own regular ticket this year, but I'll be happy to do a shift for RMFF.

corran_r9 and he-guy like this.
  7. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    "Come closer, I have good news"!!

DPCC sign-up is here! Same requirements as last year. $60 and a four hour commitment to staffing the Star Wars Experience gets you an exhibitor badge. :)

We'll have trivia at the table and be promoting the Make-a-wish auction which is approved for Saturday night. We don't have the exact layout of the area yet, but we may have the Fanboys van as part of our area since we won't likely have any other large scale props or displays.

Sign-up to get invited to the spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...AZb0qMhH2lnGM4MJCiNNTG0Q/viewform?usp=sf_link

8. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Sorry, sign-up and payment are not ready yet. I'll post here when its fixed.

DieWompRatDie likes this.
  9. Wes Thornton

Wes Thornton Jedi Padawan

Nov 22, 2017
    So the 501st isn't doing any photo drop backgrounds like last year? Also good to hear the exhibitor badges will be available. Is the entry point the same as the vendors.

10. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Undetermined. I think they will have some. I'll share the booth layout as soon as I can. :)

11. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Well, it's good to know that our space was approved since everything seems to be up in the air this year! I'm looking forward to helping out.

12. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Ok, now we're officially ready to share. Sorry for jumping the gun:

All,

PLEASE READ ALL INFO!!!!

Below is the link to the Sign ups for the Denver Pop Culture Con Star Wars booth and vendor badges. But before you get to the link, there are a few things you must know and abide by:

1. Badges are again $60 each, and you MUST sign up and work 2 shifts
    2. Funds are due NO Later than Wednesday 5/29.
    3. You may work ANY booth or table area
    4. Set up will be Thursday afternoon and evening, but DOES NOT COUNT towards your 2 shifts worked
    5. NO PROXY SIGN UPS. Each member must have their own sign up and register for shifts (payments can be consolidated, just include on your notes)
    6. Paypal needs to be sent as a GIFT
    7. Failure to work your two shifts will result in a ban from DCC vendor badges in 2020
    8. Badge distribution will be near DPCC the week of the event: Stout Street Social on Thursday evening. It is at 14th and Stout, Scott will be there between 5 and 7:30 Thursday night, and be at the northeast entrance across from Which Wich on Friday morning from 8:00 to 10:00 am.

BOOTH RULES

1. NO BLASTERS. The Con is not allowing much, and we as a collective are going blaster free this year. Lightsabers are OK
    2. NO MUSIC. The Con has been warned that any copyrighted music may be captured (via a listening device) and the Convention will be billed
    3. NO LOITERING ABOUT. If you are not working a shift, try to minimize any slacking behind the tables
    4. BE ON TIME. Please be there for your shift, so others do not have to cover you.
    5. HAVE FUN. Remember, this is a convention.
    6. HARD BINS ONLY. We do not have a separate changing area, so one will be built into our space.
    7. NO OVERNIGHT STORAGE. Bins MUST go home with you each night.

Once you register on the form, the spreadsheet will be shared with you. You will get notification of the sharing and then you can sign up for shifts. Please do NOT change anyone elses' sign up. We are tracking all changes, so we can and will know if anyone deletes signups.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...AZb0qMhH2lnGM4MJCiNNTG0Q/viewform?usp=sf_link

Feel free to post questions here, will do my best to answer ASAP.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  13. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I hope that you all have a lot of fun at the convention next weekend! One of these years I hope to make it out for this con and have a wonderful visit with you all.

corran_r9 likes this.
  14. corran_r9

corran_r9 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 3, 2009
    Is there any update on setup? Times, entrances, temp stickers needed? What about Booth layout. Specifically I'm trying to figure out if there will be enough room to stack the totes for the auction like last year?

15. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Load in:
    You may enter the building at 12:00pm on Thursday May 30th for the purpose of loading in. Some rules do apply to the building because of the house labor union rules. All items should be hand carried by a single person. Use of handtrucks and dollys are not allowed at the convention center. Should your load in require dock space for large or heavy materials you may use the Welton Street docks if needed.

We'll use the doors we typically use for load in between the Bellco theater and the ticket booth.

corran_r9 likes this.
  16. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Got the answer you're looking for.. "Costumes need to go nightly. Booth supply bins can stay but need to be stack able bins. Please dont bring suitcase, cardboard boxes or bags."

:)

corran_r9 likes this.
  17. corran_r9

Dec 3, 2009
    I have all the items in totes. If we are gonna display items like normal, I don't want to be packing all this stuff around. Thanks man!

he-guy and DieWompRatDie like this.
  18. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    The booth is set and it is huge! Come fill the space with your prescence this weekend.

No Death Star Prize Wheel or Trivia Panel this year. Just trivia and prizes at the table.
    • Donation box supports:
    o Friday - Peter Mayhew Foundation
    o Saturday – Make-A-Wish foundation at the R2-KT auction. Auction items will be showcased at the booth Fri/Sat.
    o Sunday - Pop Culture Classroom

19. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Would love to see photos of the booth sometime!

20. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
  21. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    A huge THANK YOU to everyone that came out and helped with the booth this year! The entire Star Wars area continues to be a big draw for young and old alike at this show (despite the name change and the variety of content).

The R2-KT auction was a big success as well funding multiple Wishes. I'm sure the exact total will be announced soon!

22. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Was anybody else a bit letdown by the con this year? It seems like they had downsized it in terms of space and programming. It didn't have the same exciting vibe it has had in previous years.
    I heard this same sentiment from others, too, so I don't think it was just me.

Maybe part of it was the lack of SW content... ;) Perhaps it was just an off year? Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky?!? "Back in my day, I recognized more than 25% of the costumes people walked around in..."

23. corran_r9

Dec 3, 2009
  24. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Wow, that article is poorly written...

The layout not using the front entrance and blocking off certain areas of the convention center was strange. Panels in the last hallway (700s) were blocked by the southwest entrance. The main cosplay stage for photo ops and such was in another hallway.

Besides the Shakespeare, there were only three other panels to mention Star Wars (out of over a reported 600 hours of programming).

I had a great time and had no issues with the rebranded con enjoying a good amount of non-comic related properties at the show.

I do hope next year has more Star Wars guests and content (like the return of our panel).

25. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    I think banking on a Youtube show only die hard fans would know as their #1 draw was a mistake. I think that lead to the overall down attendance, etc. They didn't have that one star Celebrity that they could advertise and get people on board/ build a theme around.

Not having the front of the CC available was weird and dumb. I hope they don't do that again. Ingress/Egress continues to be an issue. For one year, it was perfect, and then they instituted security. Still, they could've found a way to have another entrance - all those security folks used to keep people 'outside the pylons' on Welton street could've been used as security for another entrance.

That being said, I rather enjoyed the weekend. The panels were good, the crowds not terrible, and the guests were top notch save for that one bankable star. There were celebrity panels I didn't get to see because of conflicts.

he-guy likes this.