main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph HBO's Watchmen

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, May 8, 2019.

1. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012

I have no idea if this is going to be good, but right now I'm definitely intrigued.

Darth Punk and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Jeremy Irons +1
    No nude Dr. Manhattan in teaser -1

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Isn't it a sequel? Which means there is no Doctor Manhattan, right? I'm not entirely sure how it's working. But I'll probably watch it regardless.

Luke02 likes this.
  4. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    I'm interested. I really can't wait to see Irons as Ozy,

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Luke02 likes this.
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It's going to go one of two ways; crap from the start, or fantastic at the start before turning to crap.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
  7. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm a little intrigued; if only because I did like the movie and would like to see Silk Spectre in some new stories.

8. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    After the Leftovers, Lindelof has my trust

9. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Don Johnson is in it, must be cool

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I've liked everything Lindeolf has worked on aside from Nash Bridges which I never saw but then he brought back Don Johnson who is Nash Bridges (and I saw Johnson in Brawl in Cell Block 99 and he was great there) so that's a pass. Also it's gat-damn Watchmen and Linedolf basically implied it's a decades-later sequel after the comic so Ozzy got away with some realllly bad stuff. I think DC's Doomsday Clock also touched upon that so maybe the same deal. No Rorschach cuz he's bloody paste but a whole bunch of them instead. And the cult apocalyptic vibe is very Lindelof esp. after Leftovers but that's sort of in everything he does. And if it's a sequel, Doc Manhattan left to make other realities, maybe this is one of them (he's definitely a season finale return kind of character)

Also, as mentioned, it's Gat-Damn Watchmen.

11. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Beyond it taking place after the established Watchmen story I have no idea what it's supposed to be about but from that teaser it looks like maybe Rorschach's journal ended up getting published and inspired a cult or some sort of underground movement. Maybe this is the second iteration of it after it was thought to have been stamped out. I dunno. What I do know is that a world in which Rorschach is seen as an inspirational martyr is a scary thought.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I just want to know why Nite Owl isn't in it :( He's my favorite.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    "Excuse me, I just have to visit the men's room."

The Krynoid Man likes this.
  14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I bet you do

epic and Diggy like this.
  15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I just saw in an analysis from the trailer that there was a glimpse of the Owl Ship in one part... if they have secretly cast someone awesome as Dan, I'm gonna fangirl out.

16. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Lindelof has been the only bright spot in the entire season tbh.

17. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    I would have preferred a new adaptation of the comic (I do really like the film but I think the story would work better as a TV series where running time isn't as much of an issue), but this does look interesting.

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I also would have preferred just an adaptation of the comic in long form. Could have been really cool. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore the film (especially the Director's cut). But I would have taken more of it anyway.

We'll see how this goes.

19. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Conspiracies and superheroes, definitely Watchmen. I do like that they're straight up stating that Roarsarch was an extremist nutjob so his followers would probably be worse without even his small redeeming values (like his exit, sob!). Don't know how this will play to people who don't know the source materiel but I'm down with a TeeVee sequel (With probably a few tonal/plot things adapted from the book), seems less sacrilegious than the comic book sequel Doomsday Clock somehow. Life on Mars song at the end with chaos was dope.

I guess that's also why Jean Smart was only in about 3 minutes of Legion so far this season.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Doctor Manhattan said that he was going to leave this universe and explore others, perhaps even create one of his own. That doesn't mean that he couldn't return to his universe and settle on Mars again.

In "Doomsday Clock", Viedt's actions were exposed by 1992 and set events into motion for his going to Earth-0. In this series, it seems as if no one knows what he did and he's once again manipulating events.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    hah, if the whole thing turns out to be Adrian Viedt "I'ma gonna fake another alien squid invasion for world peace!" that would be kinda funny for the smartest man in the world.

Oh, we might actually see the squid, dangit! As literal as the Watchmen movie was, I still missed the squid (but read they didn't include it because it's basically another subplot in the film when they just sort of did "Doctor Manhattan did it." but you'd figure people would be ticked at the US for that)

Yah, I agree that Doctor Manhattan living on Mars is awesome shout out from the book (and the song) but it doesn't quite square with him leaving to create other life but maybe he did and is doing it while hanging out on Mars. Cool how he can be not Doctor Manhattan, though, speaking through another guy, is there anything in his powerset that indicates he could do that? Well he can make matter out of nothing so maybe he made an avatar.

23. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Not sure if this has been brought before, but I assume it's not just a strange coincidence that the FBI agent's name is Blake in this new series, and The Comedian's real name from the movie was Eddie Blake.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    it's really hard to tell from a trailer because they always concentrate on banging and crashing which is very much not Watchmen .

25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Note that the name of the agent is Laurie Blake.