main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC22 Anaheim Hotels

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Jedi Older Code, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    It'll be my first trip to Anaheim! For those that have been or know the area what are some of the best hotels near the Convention Center. I'm going to start making a list now for when the dates are announced.

2. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    Anaheim is well set up hotel-wise. There is a Hilton and Marriott right next to the convention center. The three buildings form a plaza where last time they had food trucks during the day and into the evening. Besides those two, there are a ton of hotels around because the CC is just a block south of Disneyland.

3. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    I stayed at the Marriott within the hotel lane, I could just walk out and the con. center was a short walk away! yes, the gut trucks were a novel idea, prices sort of high, but a good variety of food, sprinkled with exhaust from the trucks-delicious! If I get to go, no Disneyland for me, we are trying to recover from Chicago!

teamhansolo likes this.
  4. groove790

groove790 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 16, 2010
    I stayed at the convention center Hilton and it was great. Very close to the action. Food trucks were fantastice. I really liked the convention center there are as well. I thought Anaheim was expensive until Chicago. I look forward to saving money in Anaheim now.

teamhansolo likes this.
  5. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Marriot Anaheim hotels are currently a grand a night in April 2020. Is that uh... normal? 0.o

6. JonSB

JonSB Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 20, 2018
    It was $119 plus tax ($140) per night when I had a Wondercon rate in April 18-20th 2015

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    teamhansolo likes this.
  7. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    Lol yeah a lot of hotels near by are that price. Sooo... no idea why I'm getting 995.99 a night at the moment. I'll look more into it once it gets closer.

darthvader88 and teamhansolo like this.
  8. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    Do you think this has anything to do with Galaxies Edge?

9. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Within only a few block radius of the convention center are a number of hotel options that you can't go wrong with. Anything from higher end hotels to cheaper motels. All within walking distance. And the whole area is filled with people attending whichever convention is going on at the time.

The Hilton and Marriot are located directly across from the convention center, but I wouldn't say it's an absolute necessity to have to be in either. Unless your a cosplayer or exhibitor who would greatly benefit from being in such close proximity.

I live fairly close to Anaheim and am very familiar with the area. I go to Disneyland regularly and have attended several events at the Anaheim Convention Center. So if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

That's odd, maybe at the moment only a few rooms are available. Perhaps in a week or two the regular rates will show up. The Hilton currently has rooms available for the first weekend of April at regular rates.

However, we still have no idea if Celebration will even be in April.

10. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    Frankly at the rates of the hotel, even with my flight, it's still cheaper than Chicago, and that's with me being able to drive there, lol. We'll see on tickets but I should be able to budget for this relatively easily.

11. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    Yeah for Chicago my wife and I stayed at the Hyatt McCormick Place. For the cost, I'm not sure I would need to have a hotel connected to the convention as a necessity. I'm hoping the area for hotels aren't jacked up because of the demand for celebration and galaxys edge.

darthvader88 likes this.
  12. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    I am looking myself.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

13. darthvader88

Apr 29, 2005
    What month/w3ek did you plug in for example to look for prices?

14. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    It was first week of April.

darthvader88 likes this.
  15. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    As much as I loved having a connected hotel in Chicago, I'll probably look at something midway between the convention centre and Disney for Anaheim. Probably go with the one I had booked for this year before they announced Chicago as the location and then see what comes up in the official hotel block in case there's a better offer.

MotivateR5D4 and darthvader88 like this.
  16. darthvader88

Apr 29, 2005
    What was the convention rate for Anaheim last time?

17. superstardestroyer-1

superstardestroyer-1 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 20, 2002
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. Whichever week it ends up being, it's likely that Reed (or whoever will be running it) already have blocks of rooms at these hotels through their On Peak system. It's a convention block. So, those rooms are technically still available, but not to the general public. The few, if any, rooms left for the general public will naturally be really high right now as most of the hotel is booked through the convention block.

I used to work in the hotel business. This is a rare chance for me to feel useful in these threads.

18. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Rates for flights and hotels are usually much higher when you're months or a year out, don't sweat it too much right now. And yes, as SSD1 said, non block rooms will be exorbitantly high right now.

I have stayed at the Anaheim Hilton about 4-5 times including SWCA 2015. It's a good place with excellent rooms and staff. I should add that it is massive with lots and lots of rooms. Check it out on Google Maps street view for perspective. I have been through the Marriott a few times but never stayed there, it looks nice too. The Sheraton a block away is OK, but looks sort of dated on the exterior, but the inside is good enough. Marriott has also built a Residence Inn within the last few years that is adjacent to the Hilton, so I would assume that it will be part of the hotel block too. There is a small, independent motel called The Alpine Inn that is on Katella Ave that faces Hotel Way and is just north of the Hilton. It is likely to be an option for budget travelers and will likely fill up quickly although I don't recall it being on the last official hotel block. There are other smaller hotels nearby due to the Disneyland proximity, nearly all of which are within walking distance to both the park and the ACC.

Anaheim has an advantage over Chicago in that the hotels aren't nearly as spread out and will likely cost less due to their location to Disneyland which gives them year round business. I seem to recall that some of the hotels participate in a shuttle to the park which can save you and your feet some time and grief.

darthvader88 and ChrisLyne like this.
  19. darthvader88

Apr 29, 2005
    Most are gonna book the hotel rooms within walking distance to the center..

20. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    If you're in walking distance of Disney then you're within walking distance of the convention centre. They're really close together. Disney in Anaheim is a lot smaller than in Orlando and way less spread out.

Kyle Katarn and darthvader88 like this.
  21. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Yes. The difference is maybe a block or two. The neighborhood is mostly hotels, parking lots, shops, and restaurants.They've had since the 1950s to turn that area into a tourist magnet and they have done a damn good job of it.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It's been quite some time since I was in Anaheim (I think it was the late 90s for a work convention). We had shuttle buses available but how safe is the area at night for those who might be walking back to hotels?

23. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    The area is perfectly safe to walk around at night in. Disneyland and Downtown Disney are literally right across the street from the convention center. And immediately surrounding that are all the hotels and restaurants. As long as you are in the obviously touristy area, which in itself is pretty big, it's perfectly safe to walk around in. And on a weekend when there is a big convention going on there will be plenty of activity all around well into the night.

That's not to imply that beyond that is a bad area. Just that if you're not familiar with it, it might be best to just stick to the touristy areas at night, as would be the case anywhere else you might go that you are unfamiliar with.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Kyle Katarn and ChrisLyne like this.
  24. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Pretty much that. When I was there for SWCA 2015, I was able to walk from the Hilton to Disneyland without any trouble. Most of the streets have a lot of traffic and there are almost always people about, so if you're in the area near the hotels then you're going to be just fine.

ChrisLyne and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  25. EnviousSerious-Rue

EnviousSerious-Rue Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2009
    In 2015 I stayed at the Marriott Anaheim and really enjoyed my stay there. Staff was more
    than accommodating. Walked to Disneyland first two days of my stay and it's closer than
    you think. Within walking distance of the convention center and that was very convenient. Also,
    I've added in previous post that the food trucks, IMO, were right on the convention center property.
    Many selections. Didn't take long to receive your meal. Each day, i went to the longest line for a
    different type of meal and I was never disappointed.
    Safe, clean, great SW fans, one of the best convention experiences ever.

ChrisLyne and MotivateR5D4 like this.