main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Darth Zack

Darth Zack Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    I actually had a fleet junkie themed dream last night, where I was reading a book that included descriptions of Star Wars vehicles and battlestations as well. There was one in particular I remember that was shaped much like the Darksaber, but had the armament of a dedicated siege platform, like a torpedo sphere. I can't really remember much more, but there were two other weapons or vehicles described on that page.

Nom von Anor and Fire Dog like this.
  2. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    For anyone interested:

@AdmiralNick22 :D

@jasonfry you interested? Or could you pass on to Pablo Hidalgo and the Star Wars Story Group please?

3. NCISliar

NCISliar Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2013
    Huh, I could have sworn that last ship looked somewhat like the Dreadnaught from X-Wing vs TIE Fighter.

4. chris1982

chris1982 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2015
    That's a pretty cool video. Love the high detailed models of those old Background ships. I really wish those models got more Attention like the Dornean gunship rececently.

Chris0013 likes this.
  5. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    His Mon Cal corvette looks amazing.[face_love]

6. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I would have made those last 2 bigger. The 2nd one I would have made a heavy cruiser at maybe 600-700m...the 3rd I would have done maybe 900-950m as a light destroyer. The Rebel Fleet just seems to me to be about big Mon Cal cruisers and then a bunch of smaller frigate and corvette support ships. Needs some stuff in between,

Fire Dog likes this.
  7. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    But he used logic to gauge the size of those two ships which is much better than just making up a size like you have there. Going with the real life size of the Saturn V parts used is a great touch and estimating the size of the Mon Cal corvette through the cockpit size makes a lot of sense.

Daneira and vncredleader like this.
  8. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Just because that would be based on the size of the Saturn V does not mean that is the size in universe. I get the logic used in in his decisions...but this is sci fi. Anything could have been done with it. But like I said...that is just my opinion based on what I feel is missing from the Rebel Fleet.

Fire Dog likes this.
  9. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Of course it could be any size in universe. This was his way of paying respect to the original kitbashers and acknowledging the parts they used. I think that is very cool.

Let's have an MC40a or something like that to fill your gap;)

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    Fire Dog likes this.
  10. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I also want to get away from Mon Cals being the only big ships in the Rebel Fleet.

Fire Dog likes this.
  11. Pons

Pons Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 11, 2019
    Well, there is the ISD-1 in the teaser. Although I don't expect to see any new cap ship that's not an MC design, it's quite likely a few ISDs and maybe Venators will be reused for the finale.

나의 SM-G960N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

12. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000
    Just came here to post this. Nice

Noash_Retrac likes this.
  13. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I am talking about in the Rebel Fleet in the OT. The Rebel Fleet looks like a bunch or 1200m and bigger Mon Cal ships...and then some guys showed up in their 120-150m corvettes and said "were here to help." I want to see other ships that would be in the Dreadnaught/Vindicator class to the VicStar class size range and power.

14. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    In the video they say there are pictures of the actual models out there somewhere? Anyone have a link?

15. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    Based on the movement of the Dornean Gunship's movement in the foreground and the background, wherein our lonely ships lie, each pixel in the background is, if all the ships are taken to be at the same distance, about 3.1x the length of the pixels in the foreground. Thus judged against our Dornean Gunship flanking Home One, at 90 meters and about 90 pixels, and the Mon Cala Corvette, at 117 pixels, the latter is about 360 meters long while the "Dread-like" ship would be about 210 meters, at 68 pixels or so. That actually holds up well against the Neb-B above them, which moves in the same plane. However, given artistic license, it also seems to me that the lighting and greater detail on the corvette make it seem closer to the camera than the "Dread-like", which is dimmer and less clear in its lines, and thus the latter may be longer than 210m. The Blocky-CR90 look-alike seems closer too, while the bluish oval ship, which looks Calamarian, seems even more blurry and perhaps farther from the camera, 500-600m?

16. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I was with it until the Mon Cala overlay on the last one (which just looks like a BSG fleet castoff to me and I would've just as soon have it stay that way)... but whoa, that info on the actual miniatures! And in a sense the fact that they're so low-detail and blatantly kitbashed explains why they've languished in obscurity. They must make the Dornean look like the TMP Enterprise by comparison!

17. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    The Gauvian Death Gang ship that briefly appears on the monitor in TFA made an appearance in the Star Wars Adventures: Flight of the Falcon one-shot that just came out last week. I don't have the comic in front of me but I can post a picture of it later if anyone is interested.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Starship combat I think is more like the Age of Sail naval combat than WWII naval combat. Battleships in WWII would fire a salvo at their target, then adjust their aim, then fire again...whereas Age of Sail vessels would just try to pull up alongside the enemy and start blazing away.

As for missiles/torpedoes, I dunno. I guess it depends on how powerful proton torpedoes are compared to turbolaser blasts. My inclination is to think they're not that powerful, but where they might be handy is in cramming a lot of missile tubes onto smaller ships like corvettes to give them a much bigger punch relative to their size...similar to WWII destroyers carrying torpedoes. So the way you'd use this "torpedo boat" would be either on raids, or in a fleet engagement you'd just get in, fire off your entire barrage, and then get the hell out of dodge.

19. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Sounds more like PT boats. Load up a corvette with 1/2 a dozen proton torpedo launchers and have them get in close and rain hate down on the enemy and get out.

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I would suggest that proton torpedoes are, first and foremost, shield-busters. I think they're described as depleting shield via dumping extremely high energy particles into the shield.

21. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I forget where the K-wing 'eggs' fit in the proton torpedo and concussion missile discussion.

22. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    They are plasma torpedoes used to take out ray shields. They have little effect on armour.
    Proton torpedoes are a jack of all trades, master of none.

23. VitorPraza

VitorPraza Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 29, 2017
    [​IMG] my concept of mon calamari cruiser)) and First order Light cruiser [​IMG]

24. DB 2310

DB 2310 Jedi Knight

Sep 18, 2018
    Nice!How big are they supposed to be?

25. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    TIE Fighter Haynes manual arrived this morning...

As expected, it recanonises the TIE Boarding Craft (and confirms that they're seen in Rogue One boarding the Profundity) and the TIE Command Shuttle (as seen in The Empire Strikes Back). But brand new illustrations of them are featured, plus schematics.

The TIE Defender and TIE Defender Elite have separate entries, as they're different ships. The Elite has longer wings and features more heavy weapons emplacements.

Senator Wan, Outsourced and Daneira like this.