main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - OT [DDC 2019] Written in Sand

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by CaraJinn, Dec 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Scribble 19: Dannar's Claim

Force, I'd postponed the trip to Dannar's Claim long enough but if I'd knew this morning what I know now, I'd not gone there. At least not today. On the other hand - if I'd already knew there wouldn't have been any reason for not going.

Kriff it! I just wish I hadn't known. This is too much.

I set out early in the morning after an evening of lectures from Master Qui-Gon on how he managed to become a Force ghost. Obviously that was more difficult for him than it will be for me, unless I get myself killed before the time has come. In this climate it's good to utilise as much as possible of the night chill for travelling.

The trip was uneventful. I could find Emphie waiting for me down in the valley and despite it's been a few days since we arrived she made no objections when I put the saddle on her back again. Which is a good thing. It would been a long walk and difficult for me to carry all the things I need by myself.

On my way there I could see traces of feet in the sand. Obviously a group of Tuskens have passed by during the night. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. They seem to leave me alone but to be sure they don't wreak havoc on my, admittedly sparse, belongings I made a very solid rock my door. Force lifting has it's advantages. If they want to break in they really have to work for it.

I came to Dannar's Claim before noon and it's really a…hole. A few scattered buildings around the general store and that's it. There were no people to see, and I'm not sure if that is good or bad. I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb, but on the other hand there were nobody there to actually see me, I hope.

Well, none except the lady behind the counter. She was friendly enough though, and very efficient. While she was looking for all the bits and pieces I needed (and in particular the much anticipated sleeping mat) I watched holonet on a screen on the wall in the cantina part of the store. I'm not quite sure of how new the 'news' are out here but I really got a shock. The Empire (oh, it still hurts just thinking about 'Empire' instead of 'The Republic' ) is hunting down escaping jedi and in charge of that task is a frightening…droid? Or something. I have no idea what it is, but it's scary as a Sith. The Emperor presented it as 'Lord Vader' so one should believe it's one sentient being, but on the other hand it seems to be some kind of an overgrown droid. It's all black and carries a black cloak. It's just…weird.

But it wasn't the appearance that scared me. I've seen scary beings before. No, the scary part was that for a moment I felt like a pang of something familiar, something I've lived with for years. I felt….Anakin. Or, maybe not Anakin, but the being he'd been transformed into on that horrible last encounter on Mustafar.

Could it be that he has survived? Or rather what's left of him has survived? Could that black monstrosity actually be a body armour to…well….keep him together after what happened? No, after what I did. Have I, involuntarily, created this…horror on two legs? Oh…Force. I should have had the courage to kill him. Truly kill him. It would have been a mercy towards him, and if what I suspect now is true also to the rest of the galaxy.

Force help me. What have I done?

Kahara and AzureAngel2 like this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb - reading about Obi-Wan's discovery of Lord Vader and connecting that to all to Anakin. [face_thinking]

It's only natural that he'd wonder about Mustafar in the aftermath of that, as well.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  3. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Scribble 20: Musings

Ouch, I must have fallen asleep while writing last evening. It took me the rest of the day to get back home (how weird is it to call this place 'home'?) and I managed to carry my supplies up here and tuck away Emphie's saddle. I had more than enough time to think on my way back. Is it really possible that the figure, the Jedi Hunter, I saw on the holo could have been Anakin? Can he have survived the burns from the lava and the damage I did to his body during the fight? He's always been stubborn so I assume there is a very faint possibility.

And if so, what do I do about it? It's my responsibility, after all. I was his mentor, and I guess I still am in some ways. I have a bad feeling that he wouldn't be happy about more mentoring from my side now, though, not even if he's alive. But what if Padmé was right? What if there still is good in him? He is the one from the prophecy, after all, and even though I cannot see how it is possible now he would still be the one to bring balance to the Force.

Some balance that would be!

Could it be that the Jedi became too big and that the entire matter of bringing balance actually is 'getting rid of the Jedi'? But then again, if so the balance would shift and make the Sith alone, which wouldn't be balance at all. I need to talk to Master Qui-Gon about this when he turns up again. After all he was the one who first got the impression that Anakin was the 'Chosen One'. I never got the time to discuss it with him when he was alive. There should be more time for that now, with me sitting here and him…well…quite eternal, and ethereal as well.

I hope he will turn up this evening. I had partly expected him to be here now, but it's just as quiet as it were when I came home yesterday evening. Maybe ghosts cannot keep track of time? Or maybe he was otherwise occupied?

When that is said, I'm quite happy that I managed to make a very solid door. I saw footprints after several beings, who I assume must have been Tuskens outside the valley when I came back. They seem to be curious about me, but so far they haven't got any closer. I wonder why? They're not known for being timid and shy so it surprises me that they haven't appeared at my doorstep already, with weapons drawn and their gaderffii ready for combat. I'm happy as long as they don't. They are known as fierce warriors and I would really prefer a quiet neighbourhood, but I assume I won't have that wish fulfilled for all eternity. I can probably put up a fight yet, but there will be more of them than of me.

Came to think of it, I will have to start practicing the katas again. I can use the plateau outside as a training ground. I need to keep fit and have my skills with the lightsaber honed as much as possible in case I have to defend the Lars' family or myself. I must not allow myself to weaken.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Great musings and very natural questions. Sensible strategy to take up the katas and physical training.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  5. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Scribble 21: Anyone out There?

The holonews have really made an impact. When the thought struck me that there was a faint possibility that the armoured man actually is, or rather was, Anakin my brain went into overload. There is no better way to describe it.

What if Anakin is alive?

What if there are other Jedi, real Jedi, alive out there too?

I know what happened in the Temple. I saw the…result with my own eyes in the horrible holo recording, but what about the Jedi who were outside the Temple? Are they all gone too? Can I be certain of that?

What if there really are survivors and they need help? Can I just sit here and… do nothing, not even try to help them. Whoever and wherever 'they' might be? Can I live with that? I'm not sure I can.

I spoke to Qui-Gon about it this evening and he agreed with me. If there are someone, Anakin or others, hunting down surviving Jedi it must mean that there actually are someone out there. Or at least the Empire believe so.

I think they must be right. As efficient as Order 66 was, they cannot have killed all of us. Yoda survived and I did too. Admittedly Master Yoda is extremely strong in the Force and he had help from the wookiees but I'm not that strong and I survived. I had help from Boga, though, but still…. Others may have gotten help too.

There must be someone. It has to be.

And if so I need to help them, or at least try. But how?

There is no way I can get off this dustball unrecognised. I managed to get here but everything was so chaotic then and I had help from Luke. Nobody was looking for a widower with an infant, but if I'm travelling alone - that's an entirely different matter. They will catch me before I get on a klick's distance from the spaceport. Which must not happen. Then they will ask why I'm here, and not anywhere else in the galaxy. I must not put Luke in any danger.

An even if I were to get away, where should I go? I have no idea where other survivors may be and the fundings from Bail aren't sufficient that I can roam the galaxy just hoping to find Jedi. I surely need a better plan than that.

I simply have to do like Qui-Gon told me: wait for a solution to present itself.

If I'm meant to go searching, then the Force will give me the possibility of doing so.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Great musings and definitely a struggle of whether to leave or not. I can understand how hard it is to "wait and see" when others might need help.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  7. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Scribble 22: Visitors

Today I met my first pair of Tuskens face to face, or rather face to mask as they do not show any skin at all. In their culture it's prohibited. I remember the stories A'Sharad Hett could tell about their culture back in the Temple. They are fierce warriors and proud beings but if you are able to win their respect and keep it they are also faithful allies, if not friends.

This evening when I went down to see to Emphie they stood outside the entrance of the valley as if they were waiting for something or someone. I decided to meet them instead of trying to avoid them. I better get along with the neighbours out here and it's not like they're going to run and gossip to the Empire any time.

They were waiting patiently when I approached and they did not present any clear hostility at first. I literally kept my lightsaber at hand, though, hoping fervently that I would not need it. I didn't. When I was on about 10 steps distance I nodded to them to show respect but not fear. I just hoped they didn't misunderstand the human body language and took if for hostile.

They didn't. Instead they began talking to me.

Which was not good at all. Their language is mostly made up from consonants so it sounds like some kind of growling. I must admit that despite the broad language training I've had, I didn't understand a word - if they have words at all. It took all I have of negotiating skills and then some more to get a clue about what they wanted.

Finally I understood. Or…I think I understood. They sort of invited me to come with them.

To say I was astonished would not be to exaggerate. The Tuskens aren't really known for hospitality. But my curiosity (and maybe loneliness) got the better of me because I decided to follow them.

I don't know what I had expected would happen when we arrived at their camp, but what did happen was absolutely nothing. They gestured me towards a small hut and made it clear that it was mine to use so I thanked them as politely I could in my own language (guess basic will do as good as any other) and withdrew to 'my' cabin.

I don't feel any sheer hostility from them, but nevertheless I'm curious of what is going to happen tomorrow. This will be interesting indeed.

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wow, that was a startling encounter, and puzzling, since the reason for the contact isn't clear yet. [face_thinking]

AzureAngel2 and CaraJinn like this.
  9. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    great entries and the Tusken encounter (just like Revan?)

10. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    It will soon be revealed, beginning...tadaaaa....now.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  11. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Scribble 23: Tusken Entertainment

I woke early in the morning together with the rest of the camp. I guess I'm not used to have other living beings so close anymore. In the Temple I could sleep through almost anything, especially in the morning.

I waited a bit before I stepped out and I immediately got a bad feeling about the rest of the day. During the night they had created some kind of an arena, square in shape and encircled by leather bands and I could hear them snickering when I appeared. Obviously something was going to happen and I was to be a part of it.

My suspicions were confirmed when two of their elders came to meet me. They obviously tried to explain something to me and from their gestures towards the arena I got my bad feelings confirmed. I was obviously to be the main attraction of the day. Still I could feel no direct hostility from them, more like an eager anticipation.

I was invited to stand at the first row. I assume it's an honor. At least it's an improvement compared to the arena at Geonosis because I wasn't handcuffed or tied up. Thank the Force for small blessings.

The battles began early with younglings fighting each other with their bare hands. Every time a winner was pronounced, the winner went to the next battle. After a while I could see the combatants growing older and more sophisticated in their fighting style. Hadn't it been for my still gnawing bad feeling I would almost have enjoyed it as I did with the lightsaber tournaments back home.

Almost.

As the level of the fights increased the combatants began fighting with their gaderffi sticks and I could see them becoming older, bigger and more adept with their fighting. Did I mention that tuskens are in general larger of stature than humans?

The winner was a giant, or as close to any as I've ever seen. By the time the final battle had been fought I was applauding like everyone else. Then the crowd quieted and I my creeping suspicion became true when my hosts gestured me towards the arena.

The newcomer would have to fight for his status in the society. Too bad the newcomer was me, and too bad I wouldn't be allowed to use my 'saber. That wouldn't have been fair.

I bowed towards the elders and entered the ring.

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    :eek: Uh, oh. The Tuskens probably have their own methods and rules of hand to hand, all of which Obi-Wan is unaware of naturally. [face_thinking]

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  13. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I'm sure he'll be okay. He has the Force.

14. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    You may have a valid point there.

15. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Scribble 24: The Contest

The giant was awaiting me patiently and the grin on his face didn't promise too well for my future health and wellbeing.

Someone threw a gaderffi towards me and I grabbed it. For the first time in my life I was almost grateful towards Maul for the battles we'd had. After the faithful battle on Naboo I had promised myself to be on top of things if I ever had to fight a light staff again. That decision had come in handy many times later and I was certain it would benefit my health today.

A signal was given and the giant came towards me with the gaderffi in attack position. I already knew that I couldn't fight him down with physical strength, I had to trust my agility in this battle so when he struck out for me I easily evaded the stroke and somersaulted over him. For the most recent years I've preferred Soresu, but right now my old skills in Ataru proved useful. He pivoted quickly for a being of his size but not quick enough. I managed to give him a blow over his back.

It was like hitting a rock. My wrists almost hurt from the impact.

Well, then I had to find another way. I continued evasive manoeuvres varying between Soresu and Ataru inspired movements and I could feel the frustration and anger welling up in him. Obviously he was the champion of the tribe and he would not give in willingly.

Given the Tusken culture I knew I had to win this fight, and I might even have to play dirty. My determination was strengthened when his gaderffi hit my ribs and I could feel one of the lower ribs giving in. Ow! That hurts just as much as it ever did before, and I would really not like to be confined to bacta treatment here - especially when the lack of such remedy was taken into consideration.

Time for dirty tricks had come. I needed to end this game before someone (mostly me) was seriously hurt. So when he came towards me and the next blow came I did not somersault over him as he had expected. Instead I crouched down rolled over and hit the gaderffi up - right between his legs assuming that that area of a Tusken would be just as vulnerable as for any human male.

I was right. He fell like a log, crouching on the ground and I assume only his pride kept him from whimpering loudly.

I took a defensive position and waited. There was no way I would attack a beaten being unless he rose and attacked me again. He didn't. After something that felt as an eternity, the leader of the games stepped forward and proclaimed something. I have no idea what he said but from the cheering of the crowd I assume he proclaimed me the winner.

My assumption was strengthened when my competitor finally rose from the ground, took his gaderffi and laid it down before me. I could feel shame and anger radiating from him - but also some kind of respect. The game leader gestured towards me and I understood that I was supposed to pick up the gaderffi and hand my own over to my competitor, so I did as I was told. When I entered the ring an elderly lady came towards me with something that resembled a mask and a couple of gloves, made of the same cloth that the Tuskens used in their clothes. Obviously I was supposed to wear it before I left the ring. Again I did as I was told. Anything to keep a friendly relationships with the neighbors.

The mask didn't smell good, that much was certain. Yet, when I had dressed in that which obviously appropriate Tusken clothing the cheering from the crowd increased even more and I was lead towards a huge campfire. The time had come for the post game banquet.

Their banquet definitely was a positive experience. I've eaten my fair share of 'interesting' meals on my missions throughout the years, but this one was one of the better. Their food was mostly based on meat and some kind of slightly spicy roots. The meat was really tender and had a smoky taste to it. They must have been using smoke and herbs for seasoning.

I can honestly say it was the best meal I'd had for weeks. And so was the company, simply because it was company. For once I wasn't alone with my thoughts and for a moment I felt as a part of …well, something. I had no illusions that the feeling would last but yet, I decided to live in the moment as Qui-Gon so often had told me and relish the feeling.

It was late night when the 'party' was over and my hosts and I withdrew to our respective quarters.

16. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Making friends with the Tuskens is a good thing. Now if he works on learning some of their language, it could help him stay friendly.

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I am relieved he got out of the combat situation without really grave injuries and am pleased that the banquet was delicious; you never know what you'll encounter in such a harsh environment--specifically the tender meat... ;)
    Looks like the foundation of a respectful, cooperative alliance has been established.

18. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    It wouldn't surprise me if they were eating roasted womp rat. :p

19. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Don't tell that to Obi-Wan please...

20. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Scribble 25: Who's Talking Now?

I'm back home again. I woke up the morning after the duel with the giant Tusken and expected nothing at all. Would they let me go? Would there be another fight? Would they kill me? I had no idea, but since I'd got my lightsaber back after all, I wasn't overly concerned about the last choice. If they intended to kill me, they'd have to work for it.

I expected everything and nothing, yet I didn't foresee what really happened.

I had got up and extracted myself from the hut and almost immediately a Tusken came towards me. I wasn't sure if I'd met him the evening before so I just stood still and waited patiently.

To my surprise he stretched a hand towards me.

I was surprised. To my, admittedly sparse, knowledge of Tuskens they usually weren't too eager to shake hands, but since I had the "gloves" on I copied the gesture assuming that it wouldn't be too offensive. We shook hands. His grip was firm but not crushing.

"Me..A'Khel," he said.

His voice was deep, almost growling, but the basic words were understandable.

"I am Ben Kenobi," I said.

For a moment I thought of presenting me by my real name but I managed to rein myself in just in time. I do not fear that the Tuskens are conspiring with Palpatine, but who knows how far words can go in this region.

He nodded thoughtfully.

"Ben… Now, that's easy name for Sharad Hett's brother."

I gaped, like a fish dropped upon the Tatooinian dune sea.

"Sharad Hett?" I repeated, rather unintelligently so.

"We seen….lightening staff. Like Sharad."

Oh. Not good. Obviously they had watched me from a distance and seen me practice the katas with the lightsaber.

I just nodded, -no reason for denying the obvious. He came quickly to the point.

"You watch…Tusken sacred valley. Tusken want…go there. Sacred place," he added for good measure.

I nodded again.

Obviously I had had my regular luck and settled somewhere near a sacred place for them. It was seemingly a miracle that they hadn't tried to kill me in my sleep to get access. Not that I sleep very much nowadays, but still… As they obviously knew about Sharad Hett they seemed to respect my 'lightening staff'. I could think of no other explanation.

"Leave my cabin and the eopie be and you're free to go to your sacred place," I confirmed.

Far be it from me to keep them from their sacred places, as long as they let me in peace.

"Sacred place…through valley," he explained.

I realised I had to make it simpler. His basic was rudimentary, to say the least.

"You go to sacred place," I said, "not kill me, not kill eopie."

This time he seemed to understand.

"Tusken go to sacred place…one cycle."

I wasn't sure if he meant a day or a month or maybe a year's cycle so I just nodded.

"Tusken can go to sacred place," I confirmed again.

And with that the matter was settled.

He nodded towards me, turned on his heels and left me, returning to the group of elders from which he had come. An eager discussion arose, but finally they seemed to agree.

He returned.

"Tusken go sacred place. Ben go home. No fight."

I nodded again (I had stopped counting my nods by now.)

I didn't expect anyone to follow me, but they did. A small group of warriors, not unlike those who had come to pick me up a couple of days earlier, followed me out of their camp and back home. When we came to the stairs I whistled and Emphie came running towards us. I put a hand on her neck and said firmly "mine" before I began ascending the stairs. Hopefully that would prevent her from being their next feast.

They continued further into the valley and I returned home.

21. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Despite being only vaguely aware of A'Sharad Hett, I did wonder if mention of him would be forthcoming when Obi-Wan met the Tuskens.

22. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Actually the Tusken didn't mention A'Sharad, but his father Sharad Hett ;) . I wanted to keep the Tusken's knowledge about Jedi a bit back in time.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  23. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Scribble 26: Observations

My training with Qui-Gon has continued and I spend some of my time on the plateau over my cabin meditating. I can, technically, do it everywhere but there is a spot up there which is in the shadow of the cliff so it's not as blasted hot as the rest of the plateau. Besides, it give me a fine view over the area.

Today I saw the Tusken tribe passing through the canyon. Obviously they were going to their sacred place. The two who followed me home a couple of days ago were probably only scouts, because today it must have been almost the entire tribe.

I did my best to stay out of sight. I really do intend to keep in good terms with the neighbours now that we have come to this understanding but I do also admit that I'm curious about this sacred place of theirs. When they have left again I may go there and at least see what it is. Hopefully I don't break a taboo by doing so. That would certainly not be good.

Yet, there's something pulling me towards that place. I've felt it before when I've been roaming the area but for some reason I have chosen not to respond to the urge. It feels like it would bring me sadness somehow. It's really weird. I know my background is a bit blurry since I was found nearby the Temple but Tahl did some good piece of investigation trying to find my ancestors and for sure there are no Tuskens there.

I will go there as soon as I see the Tuskens leave.

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Very natural curiosity about the "sacred place", and a very good idea it is to be discreet about looking it over. It's very interesting that there's a "sense of sadness" and a "tug" in that direction. [face_thinking]

25. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    There may come an answer to that. Or not. The desert holds many secrets and this may be one of them.