main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fan Films Catch-all Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by TCF-1138 , Jan 13, 2018.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    This thread is for discussing all things Fan Films, including, but not limited to:

• Any Fan Films that don't currently have their own threads. If you want to start a thread for your own fan film, that's of course perfectly fine - but if the creator of a fan film you wish to discuss is not a member here, or has chosen not to start a thread, this is the place to post about it.
    • Classic fan films. Want to talk about Duality? KnightQuest? Ryan vs Dorkman? Iron Fist of the Obsidian Sith? Here's your thread!
    • What you would like to see more or less of in Fan Films, or which kinds of fan films you prefer to watch - as well as lists of favorite fan films and the likes.
    • Fan Films as a phenomenon, their history, impact on pop culture, in the media, etc.
    • Fan filmmaking in general. Have a question for people who have made fan films? Are you thinking about making your own fan film? Questions, tips and tricks - anything you can think of is welcome here.
    Videos and pictures are of course allowed in this thread.

Please note, though, that while I hope we can have some pleasant conversations in this thread, this is not a social thread (we have one of those right here). Try to keep discussions on topic.

Also note, that while this is first and foremost a Star Wars forum, we of course allow discussions about other kinds of Fan Films, such as Star Trek, Batman, Ghostbusters, etc.

Ananta Chetan likes this.
  2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, since no one has posted yet, I might as well try to start a discussion. :p

I just saw this amazing fan film on Youtube, and wanted to share it with everyone here. As far as I know, the people who made it are not members here.

It's a nice, emotional film, that doesn't rely on special effects or action. Among the best acting I've seen in a fan film as well.

EDIT: Adding the title, and name of the director: Days Past by Aaron Kunkel.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Very nice!

TCF-1138 likes this.
  4. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I haven't seen any discussion yet about the new fan film, Birth of a Monster - A Star Wars Story. It really is excellent and could easily be mistaken for being an official Star Wars production. It absolutely nails the look, feel and sound of the OT movies. This should be in everybodys head canon.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    CernStormrunner and TCF-1138 like this.
  5. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I meant to watch that the other day, but I forgot about it. Thanks for posting it! :)

6. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    The only problem I have with the film is the clone trooper helmet. Why did they add that? It forces the film to be taking place during or after the clone wars, 22 BBY or more probably (from the look of the helmet) a number of years later. The kid is 6 or 7 in this film? In Return of the Jedi he clearly isn't almost 30, he looks more like 40-45. Tatooine must age humans so fast.

Oh and the cantina band has also had a long old career.

7. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    This one was good . The acting is very good for fan films . The effects were decent . The story was a pretty interesting look at a possible introduction to Mara Jade in nu canon . The girl who plays her was decent . I think how soft spoken she was actually added to the scenes where she uses the dark side training. The scene at the end where she talks to palpatine was heart breaking in my opinion. The guy who plays Kanan was decent but I still missed the official voice . Its post rebels season 1 so I liked him kinda being a mentor to her . I my one nitpick was that they shoulda set it after Ezra dabbled in the dark side then kanan probably coulda talked Mara down quicker

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  8. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
  9. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    This is just awesome work.

10. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Holy Sith, that's amazing!
    Great effects work (face replacement is almost flawless), great choreography, great cinematography, fantastic sound design. Absolutely incredible work.

My one very, very small "complaint" is the aspect ratio. Should have gone for the original 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Other than that, it's perfect.

Deliveranze and Darth Smurf like this.
  11. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    We should do a petition to get this amazing stuff reworked into the original movie! =D==D==D=

Green_Destiny_Sword likes this.
  12. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000
    Maybe they are like Menudo? They just replace members every few years?

13. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    What a phenomenal job. I'm so impressed with the whole look and emotion. And the fight choreography is excellent! They took Vader to a whole new level.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  14. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Thread merge.

15. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    My only slight niggle is the lightsabre lens flares. Don't do it.

16. Green_Destiny_Sword

Jun 20, 2001
    Dare I say the choreography is better than the ST? I mean in almost 5 hours of film we’ve barely had any lightsaber action. This duel tops all of it.

17. SunnyNelson

SunnyNelson Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2013
    I really find this dreadful. Whoever made this totally missed the point of the original scene in the first place.

18. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Why? The original duel had very little action in it due to the props breaking easily. This still contains the emotions behind the original scene, but made somewhat less subtle, now with the prequels in mind, and, of course, with modern technology. I don't see how it misses the point, as the point seems to be pretty much the same. :confused:

19. Green_Destiny_Sword

Jun 20, 2001
    Couldn't disagree more. Loved it!

Darth Smurf likes this.
  20. SunnyNelson

Dec 23, 2013
    In this version, Obi-Wan ends up getting his butt royally kicked, and seems to give up because he's going to die anyway. He's a chump in this version, whereas before he and Vader were sizing each other up, taking their time, and then Obi-Wan quite calmly and intentionally lets Vader strike him down after he sees Luke. It played that way just fine and was very powerful in 1977, regardless of any behind-the-scenes fact about how they were careful so the props wouldn't break. Also the timing is all out of wack in this version, as our heroes make their way to the hanger while Obi-Wan and Vader duke it out. And the music choices don't work. And why add and remove dialogue? And just imagine if George Lucas had done anything at all like this in the Special Editions. The poodoo would have hit the fan like never before.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  21. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    Lucas did a lot more in the Special editions. (Boba Fett in Ep1, Han stepping on Jabba, etc.)
    For the music: My guess is that John Williams had no time to join the project so the cousin's nephew of the creator had to step in with his old Roland sound engine.

22. SunnyNelson

Dec 23, 2013
    I meant for this particular scene.

23. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    It isn't intended to be a full replacement scene though. It is a parallel scene that purposely focuses on the lightsabre fight with overlaps to what we see in the movie. We don't know what Vader and Ben were doing while we were watching Luke and Leia swinging across the missing bridge in the movie, for example. This fan film gives us a look at what could have been happening.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Darth Smurf likes this.
  24. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    Too fanboy service for me. Not my cup of team. Really corny. Much prefer the clumsy original in this case.

SunnyNelson likes this.
  25. Green_Destiny_Sword

Jun 20, 2001
    Vader’s movements and power level are more accurate in this one. He wasn’t washed up in ANH. And he should have been significantly stronger than Kenobi.