main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Who Should Direct the Next/Future Star Wars Film(s)?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 14, 2019.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    This topic deserves it's own thread now that we know the first film will be released in 2022 and that it will be from the GoT guys. So who should it be? A veteran like Ron Howard or a newer talent? Maybe someone from the Game of Thrones family like Miguel Sapochnik or Michelle MacLaren?

Speculate away! We probably have a while before we find out who it is.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I would love Howard back with a chance to be at the controls from the actual start. SOLO is about as "Star Wars" a Star Wars film as imaginable.

3. avcpl

avcpl Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2016
    Is it possible they direct it/them? They've done Thrones episodes and are directing the finale together..

4. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    In a perfect world? I bring in the Russo Brothers but them directing a Star Wars trilogy would be like having Christopher Nolan direct a bond film. It makes so much sense it will never happen!

And I think more then likely either they direct it themselves or they bring someone off the GoT tree like @Darth Chiznuk suggested. I really don't see them getting a big name to direct it if they are writing/producing. They would really want as much control as possible since it's their names that are being attach to this.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  5. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Anything's possible at this point. Although the announcement only said they would be writing and producing. I'm hoping they get someone else to direct though as it's much more collaborative that way and I don't think they're particularly strong directors.

6. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Miguel Sapochnik would get my one and only vote. I think that would be a perfect time to make a transition into the world of Hollywood. His episodes for GoT are already a lot more grande and ambitious than most Hollywood movies out there. I think he is one of the best out there when it comes to the portrayal of dramatic developments for characters during a war scenario, when all hell breaks loose. Which would be pretty ideal for Star Wars, if you ask me.

7. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    This would be the opposite of a perfect world. This would be an end-times world. I don't want the Russo brother anywhere near a Star Wars movie.

8. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I'd love the Russo brothers but I'm sure they'd prefer to have their own project to develop rather than simply direct someone else's.

9. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I wasn't familiar with Michelle MacLaren by name but IMDB tells me she's directed episodes of some of my favorite shows so I'd be on board with her directing.

10. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    The pre battle tension/build up of all the troops/pieces getting into order have all been masterful IMO....You know some of these people are legendary heroes, yet even they start to feel small and vulnerable once all of these war pieces get set into motion. Like even though they have plans and some military discipline, everything just feels like it could just spin out of control just like that.

I really want that feeling in at least one SW battle.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  11. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Werner Herzog

VaderBoyee and Darth Smurf like this.
  12. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    Ryan Coogler or Patty Jenkins plz thx

ganymede2010 likes this.
  13. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Directing. Each ten-episode season of Game of Thrones has four to six directors, who usually direct back-to-back episodes. Alan Taylor has directed seven episodes, the most episodes of the series. Alex Graves, David Nutter, Mark Mylod, and Jeremy Podeswa have directed six each.

Some of the above directors would be good at least Benioff & Weiss know these guys and they have done a good job for them on thrones.......

14. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Ok, but seriously: Gore Verbinski

15. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Timo Vuorensola

16. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Last week, Bob Iger invited Steven Spielberg, J.J., and KK to tour Galaxy's Edge. I think Spielberg will direct one of these trilogy films.

17. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    YES PLEASE

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    RokurGepta, Darth Smurf and ChrisLyne like this.
  18. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Spielberg would be amazing!

19. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    Rian Johnson.

20. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    Hope they announce the status of his trilogy soon. Very sure it'll happen in some way or form, he's an amazing storyteller. You know what, maybe JJ will come back for a film or become a Guest Director on some films / Disney+ Episodes. He has contributed so much to Star Wars in the modern era and happy to see them succeeding in creating their mark into the Galaxy Far, Far Away.

Siphonophore and indydefense like this.
  21. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    My theory is that, since he signed a contract for a trilogy, Disney has consolidated it into the Benioff & Weiss trilogy. I think they're waiting for the right moment to announce his involvement, when they think it'll cause the least uproar.

22. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Jordan Peele.

23. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Preach ACoD.

24. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    The title of this thread loses me again:
    1) There is not a new trilogy.
    1.5) We should not assume there is going to be another SW trilogy :D
    2) Planning a trilogy presupposes there is a new SW film that is successfull
    3) JJ Abrams wiith Lucas:ben: :boba: as consulting director:yoda:

25. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    Michael Bay! He would make the most bad ass movie of all time. Force powers would definitely be expanded. Explosion proof Jedi and Sith. Lightsaber clash shockwaves! Force push soul crush! Knock someone out with the bottom of a speeder! Slow motion space battle crashes with flags waving in the background while a half naked oiled up lady bends over to pick up a blaster then shooting while doing a backflip thru sparks landing then standing up for a circle slow motion shot igniting her pink lightsaber while the wind blows in her hair! Badass! Then she talks.... Then a alien with gold teeth talks.... Then a room full of generals talk.... Then more bombs, half naked oily women, Jedi and Sith fights then Optimus Prime shows up with the matrix lightsaber saves the day then talks, the end. Nobody would be let down because it would be badaaaaassssss! Actually, I would love to see Denis Villeneauve direct a Star Wars film eventually. He probably would do a excellent spin off.