main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Engage!" - Star Trek: Picard Discussion Thread [Paramount+/CraveTV]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Voider, May 16, 2019.

1. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2019
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I was wondering when they would just end up at that working title as the final title. It's like, you have a series whose entire premise/appeal/marketability is centered around a single returning character- what else could you possibly call it (shy of adding a title in front of his name, like "Ambassador Picard" or some such.)?

And that uniform glimpse in the background kinda seems like it's a mix between the AGT uniforms and the STO uniforms.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT- Nevermind, i think that may just be the TNG Cadet uniform:

[​IMG]

Which, if so, would imply the image's location is at the Academy,

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ Sito Jaxa =((

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    ^Not Tom Paris :(

5. robert martins

robert martins Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2018
    I wished they would of make the Tom Paris character the same guy from the TNG episode the first duty. If your going to use the same actor why didn't they do that? Both characters where basically outcasts with starfleet.

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    They apparently wanted to but then, horror of horrors, the people who wrote "The First Duty" would have gotten royalties! So that had to get scrapped.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There's also slight creative differences in how the characters are portrayed but, yeah, they're the same character for all intents and purposes. At least when they made Ro into Kira they gave her a distinct backstory.

Sarge likes this.
  8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    If this is anything like Discovery, I expect some good elements strung together by the dumbest ****ing plot ever.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Wait til you see what happens when they go faster than Warp 10 in this series!

[​IMG]

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    And then ludicrously claimed that Locarno's actions were so heinous that no one would ever forgive him.

Like we forgot that Worf straight up murdered a High Council member in revenge. Technically correct according to Klingon law, but incompatible with his active duty as a Lieutenant in Starfleet at the time. At least during the Klingon Civil War he had the good grace to resign from Starfleet first, which was promptly undone but still.

Or we forgot that Geordi made a holographic simulation of a real person and fell in love with that idealized version and creeped the **** out of real-life version when she found the program, of course after Barclay is chastised for doing a lesser version of that same thing.

Or that Data was straight up gonna murder a dude for collecting him as a trophy and using an ancient disruptor on a woman.

Suuuuuuuuure, it totally wasn't the royalties...

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'm glad they didn't sign Ro. Kira was an awesome character.

Lord Vivec and CT-867-5309 like this.
  12. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Can someone explain to me what this show is going to be? I've seen scattered episodes of TNG (thanks Evan! :p). But I'm not sure where this fits in.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Ro takes over in the DS9 Relaunch after Sisko ascends and Kira takes command; Ro is Security Chief in Odo's absence. Then commander of the station and captain of the USS Defiant...

14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's a post-Nemesis (and presumably post-the bit of original universe stuff in the 2009 film where the Romulan empire gets ****ed up) series centered on the further adventures of Jean-Luc Picard. I think that's literally the extent of what anyone knows for sure at this point.

Those sequel books are all about to be even more non-canon than ST books already are. Which is like, double non-canon. None more apocryphal.

BigAl6ft6, dp4m and The2ndQuest like this.
  15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Okay, well I believe I've seen all the TNG era movies too. Although that was back when they first came out and I saw them in theatres... so I am sure I'm not up to speed. But since I do have CBS All Access, I will probably watch this. Need to watch Discovery, too. Just got CBCAA this month.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The supporting character breakdowns for casting did suggest this would involve Picard's archeologist background to some extent- and this is definitely after the destruction of Romulus. It's almost the same year as the future parts of All Good Things, although they've confirmed that this will not be featuring a Picard picking grapes in a vineyard suffering from a neurological disorder, as that was an alternate future.

(though I wouldn't be surprised if we see elements from that used here, ie: the uniforms or ships, since they've tended to use those for most "future characters" like Endgame Janeway, etc).

BigAl6ft6 and Ramza like this.
  17. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The rumors I've heard is that the licensees (the companies who make the stuff Trekkies buy to collect dust on their shelves) are adamantly against the designs and storyline the Picard show was initially going with. Since Amazon is not funding the Picard show to the extent Neflix funded Discovery season 1, CBS really wants the revenue from licensing. So the show hasn't started production yet even though it was scheduled for last month. There seems to be truth to the rumors. Notice how Stewart doesn't mention a release date in his Amazon promotional vid; it was originally set to premiere later this year.

I mean, I don't give a **** about toys and models and other plastic crap. But Discovery's original designs aren't very good (e.g., the bland uniforms and the horrible-looking Klingons) and their take on the original Enterprise and TOS uniforms went in a much better direction. So the licensees were right about that anyway.

With Kurtzman producing (running?) this one too I don't have much hope for an optimistic Trek that's not constantly dealing with a martial, existential threat to the Federation. Probably not even a coherent storyline. Hopefully at least we won't get an insufferable emotionally unstable arrogant dumbass everyone treats like Jesus for a main character like Michael Burnham. If only we got that Pike show instead.

18. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    Hi excuse me plz but what then is that picture of Picard if not Stewart in character on set surrounded by extras in costume?

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Quite possibly a promotional photo.

20. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    According to the rumor mill the whole cast and crew is assembled so that may be it. I dunno. Licensing was a big problem for Discovery and Netflix funded the first season so I have no trouble believing it's also a problem for Picard which is giving Stewart the biggest paycheck of his career.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Definitely not- it was apparently a clip from the CBS Upfronts, with a voice offscreen asking "May I have your name, please, sir?”

Additionally, there are some leaked set photos out in the wild as well from apparently that same sequence. So, it's definitely been in production.

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Ah gotcha. Interesting.

23. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I want this series to be like the Seinfeld reunion on Curb Your Enthusiasm.

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It’s being filmed by Sector 31.

PCCViking likes this.
  25. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    That's what I get for reading rumors. My opinions on Discovery and Kurtzman stand, though. :p

The2ndQuest likes this.