main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RJ Trilogy Who Should Score Rian Johnson's New Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Chained Prometheus, Dec 28, 2017.

?

Who Should Score Rian Johnson's Trilogy?

1. John Powell

9 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. Michael Giacchino

23 vote(s)
    31.1%
  3. Alexandre Desplat

4 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. Howard Shore

4 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. Other

32 vote(s)
    43.2%
  6. A Different Composer for Each Film

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, we couldn't do better than someone with the breadth of your musical taste and background. Btw, have you learned who the Beatles are yet?:)

Bor Mullet likes this.
  2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Of course. They're the ones that James Bond makes fun of in Goldfinger. ;)

Bor Mullet and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  3. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Somebody should just trick Ennio Morricone into doing it.

indydefense and Bor Mullet like this.
  4. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Yep, Chiznuk playing the kazoo. I approve.

Bor Mullet and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Chiznuk doesn’t play the kazoo. The kazoo plays Chiznuk.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  6. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    "You say tomato, I say potato." - Ali G.

7. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    They should totally hire Daft Punk for this gig.

8. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Well, they've got the robot suits down already, so... :p

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    Lulu Mars likes this.
  9. Jesta'

Jesta' Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2017
    The bad recorder player, yeah him. That'd be great.

10. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Justin Hurwitz

11. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Dave Mustaine. Symphony Of Destruction with, you know, an actual symphony.

Dammit, all jokes aside, yeah, let's Megadeth this ****. :D

Bor Mullet likes this.
  12. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Has "whoever can do the best rendition of Taps" been taken yet?

13. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I am surprised no one has made the "Do you mean who should score RJ's new trilogy if he gets fired?" joke yet :p
    (A joke that could have come from both sides I feel)

But in all seriousness, I voted for other because I would like Hans Zimmer to score anything and everything Star Wars. I think that could be magnificent.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  14. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    That would have been a really funny joke.

15. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Yes, it would have, but maybe not for the too sensitive.

zackm likes this.
  16. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    I'm virtually at the point where even seeing Zimmer's name in print makes me throw up in my mouth a little. :p

Calm yourself, Aximili.

17. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Regardless on how people feel on the last season of GoT but I feel that most can agree the accompanying music has been steller.

Would love to see Ramin Djawadi get a chance at making Star Wars music and I think he’d work well with Rian’s direction.

18. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Djawadi's totally of that Zimmer school, unfortunately, but gotta say he's hands-down the best of those bunch. Way above the Jackmans etc of the world.

The Iron Man 1 score was fine, pretty fun, but his Person Of Interest stuff was seriously bananas. Really damn cool. Still, probably wouldn't want him for Star Wars unless he can prove he's capable of that "thick" old-fashioned orchestral stuff. He's done classical-sounding stuff like the Thrones theme, yeah, but overall he tends to mix it with other approaches. He's a talented dude, just not sure I'd lump him in with that traditional Williams thing that all of the new anthology movie composers have had so far, he's pretty clearly been educated on things in a totally different way than Giacchino or Powell. Those dudes are completely of that 80s Amblin/Lucasilm Williams-acolyte mindset.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    No need to maintain the traditional “thick” orchestral approach. If Star Wars can chart new courses in the visual and narrative arena, it can do so on the musical front as well. I’d like to see some more minimalist approaches, for example. Less emotionally manipulative.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  20. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    I dunno about that. Tonally, sure, I like the idea of Star Wars branching out into different flavors, but there are limits to how far. Like I wouldn't want a full-on R-rated SW flick for example, or something that's pure comedy and ditching the action/adventure thing entirely.

Same goes for the music. Twists on what Williams has done is fine, and very welcome, but like...I don't ever want to hear an electric guitar or a dubstep synth or an overly-digital feel in a Star Wars movie. Which plenty of modern Zimmer-school composers employ. Composers can bring their own thing to it, but it's all gotta be through that John Williams lens I feel - they've nailed that so far with Giacchino and Powell. You wouldn't mistake their scores for something written by the Big Man, but they're clearly operating in his general wheelhouse. No different to how you can have fun with your own style with the movie but it should still feel like it's through a Lucasfilm lens.

For example, I love the hell out of Trent Reznor and have for 20 years. He's scoring movies now. I don't want that MFer within a thousand miles of Star Wars, ever. Thankfully it's probably not the type of thing he'd pursue anyway.

But yeah, overall, just keep the Zimmer guys (Junkie, Jablonsky, Jackman, Rabin, Badelt, probably even Bates - who I kinda like) away. There are exceptions, the aforementioned Djawadi has done some nice orchestral stuff even if he does tend to mix it with the whole wiki-wiki-wakka-wakka-bop-bop-boorrrrppp Zimmer thing. Newton-Howard's awesome, Powell's been associated with Zimmer's Remote Control Productions too, even Elfman a little bit, Gregson-Williams is serviceable/okay.

Just really strongly feel they conflict with that classic oldschool Williams thing. Giacchino's no Williams, but he's clearly been worshipping the guy forever and aspires to it. Powell too, even though he was taught by Zimmer. The majority of these Zimmer acolytes seem to straight-up look to Zimmer and nothing prior though. That's a problem in terms of big, thick, sweeping traditional orchestral stuff, that's a dying art in a movie sense.

Minimalism is fine, though. Williams can do minimalism in his quiter moments. I would have loved to see what Desplat would have done with Rogue One. Thing is, Desplat's not one of these Zimmer-lite raaaooowwrrr-wiki-wiki-bop-bop-bop tech freaks, so while he's lighter on the memorable-melody stuff you can see how it'd square with a general Williams tone. Someone like Jackman or whoever, they're totally going to get all trigger-happy with their laptop like they do on every score, add a bunch of random digital clicking & trailer-music-esque BS.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Bor Mullet and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m with you on Desplat. He’s one of the best modern film score composers, in my view. Hope he’s given another go.

22. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I'm currently listening to the Noah soundtrack, with The Fountain next in the queue. Really good stuff.
    Clint Mansell and the Kronos Quartet working on a Star Wars film would be great, IMO.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    John Carpenter

:cool:

24. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    After Aladdin I definitely want Menken to do a Star Wars at some point. I think his style would fit the traditional Star Wars tone well.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  25. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    It will be scored by a committee of millennial Disney/Lucasfilm interns.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.