main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Who Should Direct the Next/Future Star Wars Film(s)?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 14, 2019.

1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
  2. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    How about Dean DeBlois, who just wrapped up helming the How to Train Your Dragon trilogy? No live action experience, but clearly a proven visual storyteller.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Better than them, IMO, are Miguel Sapochnik and Michelle McClaren, who have both directed a number of GoT episodes. Also Jack Bender.

4. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    i'd say it all depends on the tone of the movie and what they are going for.

5. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Ron Howard

6. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    I'd like to see Miguel Sapochnik get a crack at this.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  7. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    I’ve never heard of him, so it’s gonna be a no from me, guys

lol jk, I’d never heard of George Lucas before I saw SW and I’d say he did a pretty okay job

rocknroll41 and Bor Mullet like this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Dream team for the whole trilogy.

1. Alfonso Cuaron
    2. Miguel Sapochnik
    3. Denis Villeneuve

9. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Cuaron & Villeneuve are argually bigger/more established presences than Benioff & Weiss though, I kinda doubt they'd take a SW gig unless they're calling the shots over the script too. Denis has Dune too, doubt he'll be available for at least the first one, and kinda doesn't seem like much of a "team player" type to jump into a big established franchise anyway. Dune's a little different as it's been so long, and the general average-joe audience doesn't give a crap about Dune anyway. Keep in mind Blade Runner, awesome as it was, wasn't exactly a financial hit either.

10. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Terrence Malick

11. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Ditto.

12. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    That would be interesting to see him direct a movie he hasn't written. I put Malick in the same category as Johnson: A fantastic director, but an... awkward at best writer. Malick is also one of the greatest ciematographers in the history of movies.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Malick’s not an awkward writer. He just has a fundamentally different approach to film. He’s the polar opposite of the “filmed play” concept of cinema, and part of that involves the jettisoning of traditional scripts. His scripts mostly consist of pasted images, some quotations, and some basic words to describe situations. The rest is all actor (and cinematographer) improvisation. And his DP, Emmanuel Lubezki, also deserves a ton of credit for the cinematography of his films.

I’d love to see Malick tackle a one-off experimental Star Wars film for Disney+. Think of the imagery! But it’ll never happen.

14. indydefense

Jan 2, 2019
    But he has a distinct visual style that was present before Lubezki (i.e. Badlands, Days of Heaven and The Thin Red Line). I would describe it as like the perspective of a newborn child; Everything is magical and wondrous. BTW, my favorite sequence in a Malick film is the end of The New World, where Pocahontas is running through the garden, and the music is slowly swelling.

Absolutely. It's my understand that that was the original intention with the Anthology films. If Lucas were still I charge, I can definitely see filmmakers like Malick getting a chance. Lucas was doing all sorts of wild stuff near the end there with TCW, Underworld and even Detours.

15. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    The Thin Red Line's one of my favorite damn movies ever, but Terrence for Star Wars?

:p That'd kinda be like having Herzog direct The Mandalorian instead of act in it. It'd be awesome, but absolutely crazy and connect with like 3 people worldwide. Or Lynch or something.

Siphonophore likes this.
  16. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    A couple of weeks ago, I spotted a new-release Blu-ray at Target.... a film I hadn't heard of, but I was intrigued enough to read the back of it. One person's name made me put the set in my basket..... Douglas Trumbull. The film is The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then The Bigfoot, starring Sam Elliott. I've yet to even watch it, so I don't know if it's any good. What I thought was odd, though, are some of the time gaps between films he has provided visual effects or visual effects consultation. Malick's Tree of Life being the previous film.

The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then The Bigfoot (visual effects) -- 2018
    Tree of Life (visual effects consultant) -- 2011
    Blade Runner (special photographic effects director) -- 1982
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture (special photographic effects director) -- 1979
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind (special photographic effects) -- 1977
    Silent Running (special photographic effects) -- 1972
    The Andromeda Strain (special photographic effects) -- 1971
    Candy (opening and closing sequences) -- 1968
    2001: A Space Odyssey (special photographic effects supervisor) -- 1968
    To the Moon and Beyond (Documentary short) (special photographic effects) -- 1964

Now, Trumbull was not the cinematographer of Tree of Life (that was Emmanuel Lubezki), but if Malick were to do a one-off Star Wars film for Disney+, he might recruit Trumbull. Reportedly, Malick, a Trumbull fan, approached him about the effects work for Tree of Life and mentioned that he did not like the look of computer-generated effects.
    From his Wiki:
    Trumbull is working on a new science-fiction project that he claims is "way beyond anything that Peter Jackson and James Cameron have been doing", which will probably be shot with a camera capable of recording 120 frames per second, twice the speed of its ancestor, Showscan. In 2016, he told Science & Film, "I am planning on making a feature-length movie that will be almost entirely miniatures, but it will be photorealistic, full-scale, epic in quality, and have the kind of things that I like about Blade Runner and 2001.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Trumbull

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    IlhamKamaruddin and Bor Mullet like this.
  17. LittleDefel

LittleDefel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 17, 2012
    It will be the Russo Brothers. Makes all the marketing sense in the world.

18. indydefense

Jan 2, 2019

19. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Yeah, that's kind of it in a nutshell.

These guys are arty, and they have a hell of a lot of respect for George in his very specific way of being arty. But they, personally, just have a pretty different way of being arty. Spielberg's the exception. Guys like J.J. Abrams and Joe Johnston and Ron Howard and Rian Johnson I'd argue are exceptions, doing their own thing but very friggin' clearly with George as a primary inspiration for as long as they can remember.

Lynch...I figure respects Lucas in a very honest/genuine sense, that doesn't necessarily mean he's suited to a Lucas-concocted movie. Same with Fincher, or Villeneuve or whoever. Certain directors, Howard, Johnston etc, are a little different in that their own intrinsit tastes/inclinations kinda gel with that whole Lucas/Spielberg thing more intrinsically, naturally.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. Trumbull is a genius.

Boring.

Well, that’s why I said an experimental film on Disney+. Modest budget. It would likely be so visually unique and powerful that it’d be a cult classic. But still, it won’t happen.

Agreed complement, not least as the pre-Lubezki films are just as wondrously shot. Just wanted to give him a shoutout, as he’s probably the best DP in the business. Along with Greig Fraser.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Siphonophore and indydefense like this.
  21. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Rian Johnson. Our generation’s Irvin Kershner.

Better scenario: postpone the D&D trilogy and have Rian direct/write the one he was already developing.

22. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    If the film is more spectacle based then Miguel Sapochnik is the perfect guy to promote from the GOT crew. "The Battle of the Bastards" is probably the most exciting piece of epic fantasy this decade. I'd really be hesitant with Taylor despite the fact he directed the most episodes of the series, his film work has been disastrous.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Nah. D&D are much better writers and directors than RJ, in my view.

He’d be a dream come true.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    Steve Denson likes this.
  24. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I guess Paul W.S. Anderson. He's been a guilty pleasure favorite of mine since Mortal Kombat, and that's more how I view SW these days. I wouldn't really want one of my more "serious" favorites working on Star Wars.

25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’d love to see Bigelow’s take on Star Wars.