main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Engage!" - Star Trek: Picard Discussion Thread [Paramount+/CraveTV]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Voider, May 16, 2019.

1. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Kinda bummed that Netflix isn't getting the International Distribution Rights. I get Discovery eps on Netflix International three weeks late, but I don't much feel like getting Amazon Prime. Oh well! There are other ways.

2. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    It'll be a "wait for blu-ray" affair for me.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    if that is a cadet behind Picard how come every other few years Starfleet gets a uniform upgrade but the cadets are stuck wearing the same damn thing for decades?

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Because apparently Starfleet Academy dosn't change their uniforms that often. Could have become traditional.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There was an official video that was taken down, but this tweet still has a valid embed:

So, we still get Picard and the vineyard, but more clean shaven ;).

The "rescue armada", I wonder, could it be in the wake of the destruction of Romulus? She says "15 years ago" but that wouldn't line-up exactly with that event (it was 11 years from the supposed date of this series), but perhaps there's a timejump or the setting is a few years later than we were told (or they're retconning the Romulus event timing).

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Juliet316 likes this.
  6. jedisor

jedisor Jedi Master star 2

Apr 22, 2011
    Ooh, that TNG theme played on the flute. Chills!

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    What is the tagline supposed to mean?

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm assuming it refers to either the destruction of Romulus or Picard retiring from/leaving Starfleet. Those ends are now the beginning of this story.

EDIT- Youtube embed:

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    My thoughts when I saw the trailer

[​IMG]

10. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I kinda wish they'd retcon the death of his nephew in Generations, but I'm really psyched that he's on the vineyard having a nice, peaceful life. I cannot wait to see the ST Galaxy this far in the future, and more than anything I can't wait to see new Picard content.

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    First thought...
    [​IMG]

Second thought...
    [​IMG]

Third thought...
    [​IMG]

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I hope this Picard isn't broken. I think it's a concept that works for Star Wars re: Luke, but Trek is supposed to be optimistic.

Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  13. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    That teaser kind of makes me want to replicate a bottle of Chateau Picard. I hear 2365 is a very good year. :p

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    15 Years Ago I'm thinking the Rescue Armada that defeated Shinzon's invasion with the co-operation of the Romulans "And then..." (boom noise) which indicates the destruction of Romulus. So things got good with the Rommies and then they got bad. (Of note, I am thinking this will be Romulan heavy and I am very okay if they ditch the Romulan forehead ridges even though it's TNG but c'mon now, they just bugged me)

Also of note notice this quote from an interview with Bob Orci about the 2009 Star Trek movie and his former writing partner / current Trek-verse runner Alex Kurztman

And because the film takes place partially after Star Trek: Nemesis, that’s why you see it as a sequel.

Correct. Part of why it worked is that if you don’t know those ten films, you don’t need to know that it is a sequel, but if you know those ten films, you know it is a sequel.

And now Alex is going to pick up on some of those elements for the new Picard series.

I didn’t know that. Remind me to ask him for a check. [laughs]

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Bob Orci and Alex Kurztman? It's no story CBS/Paramount would tell. But Orci was the big Trekkie yet Kurztman is now running Star Trek.

trailer 25 Years to the date of All Good Things! And the first shot was the Vineyard!! Great tie in anyway.

Canadian version with Space channel logos and stuff

16. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I will probably get this on Blu-ray like I did Discovery...

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Not impossible but a pretty difficult retcon because his nephew's death kinda runs through Picard's emotional arc in Generations. Maybe someone effed up when sending the subspace transmission?

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh no, not the emotional arc in Generations.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The Trekkie who didn't understand Star Trek? Yeah, I heard of him. He was the one who put the 9/11 was an inside job and Starfleet false flags into the NuCanon. Thanks, Bob!

So, supposedly Nemesis was nineteen years before the show -- so I'm wondering what happened fifteen years ago.

Nemesis was in 2379, and Star Trek 2009 begins from the destruction of Romulus in 2387 -- so this show is after the destruction of Romulus but whatever happened to PIcard was before that (2384). So what unimaginable thing happened in 2384? Beverly died? He theoretically wasn't commanding a ship (if he left as an Admiral), but maybe he was responsible?

BigAl6ft6, Juliet316 and vncredleader like this.
  20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    He got promoted to admiral. Horrified by the prospect of being wrong all the time (the way admirals in Star Trek are), he immediately retired.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I had read 18 years after Nemesis. Either way:

2379- Nemesis
    2383- Unknown Retirement Event
    2387- Destruction of Romulus
    2395- TNG All Good Things... Alt-Future
    2397 (or 2398)- Picard
    2404: VOY Endgame Alt-Future

Also possible that the rescue fleet is a separate thing from what caused him to leave.

22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I don’t have as much faith the creators will care that it’s nineteen years and not fifteen years since Romulus got destroyed.

Wiki says this is 20 years after Nemesis. I think 18 years has been said because it’s Coming out 18 years after the film...assuming this comes out next year.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I wouldn't be surprised if they're retconning the date from Countdown. Also possible, as you point out, that the show itself could be set later and they were just ballparking timeframes.

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    There must be something in the water at Starfleet HQ.

25. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Or he remembered Kirk's advice from Star Trek: Generations.

Juliet316, BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.