main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Utterly Awful Completely Contemptible Please God Make The Suffering Stop Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 7, 2019.

1. DarthRosie

DarthRosie Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2014
    Not much cooking in here on this new rumor, I thought this would get this thread hopping. Not only a new KoToR rumor but verified by 3 different sources before buzzfeed went with it, but also seems to be unrelated to D&D and RJ trilogies.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    So, here are my thoughts: first, yes, the fact that Buzzfeed is reporting three independent sources is encouraging. I don’t necessarily trust them without a probable track record, and there’s still many ways this could end up being completely false.

But all skepticism aside, let’s assume it’s true, or at least part of it is. The article says it’s separate from the RJ and B&W films. Presuming that’s accurate, and that those films are still separate entities, Kalogridis is said in the report to have been hired spring 2018. That’d place it before the slate rethinking and reshuffling that ensued as a result of Solo’s underperformance, so maybe at the time there were plans for three separate trilogies. There’s no way that’s still true, it doesn’t line up at all with what we’ve been hearing from Kennedy and Iger the last few months, nor does it correspond with the slate of three films from 2022-2026 that we currently have.

If I have to guess what the reality of the situation is, presuming this is true: B&W were hired early 2018. This states Kalogridis was hired spring 2018. Could be she was hired to take a first pass at the screenplay for B&W’s first film while they finished Game of Thrones, based off their outline and story ideas, and they’ll tweak the screenplay as need be for their purposes. As showrunners, they’d be more than used to working with various screenwriting collaborators to actualize their vision, it’s not like they wrote every episode of GoT themselves. It feels plausible, at least to me, and at least in theory.

3. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Although I'd personally love to see a trilogy about the formation of the Jedi order and the schism that led to the Sith, I know that such "core lore" is very risky territory to mess with. By contrast, Benioff & Weiss adapting KOTOR with collaborators like Laeta Kalogridis is a much safer play.

In the end, all I care about is getting a good movie -- whether or not it's the specific project I would greenlight.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Darth Nave likes this.
  4. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I usually don't make predictions or proclamations because I don't have any horses in any of the races, but I feel really confident that these either ARE the B&W films, or they will never exist... either because they were commissioned and canceled post-SOLO, or the story itself is bunk.

5. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    I mean, Buzzfeed.

It might be true, but it's not like Buzzfeed has anything in the way of credibility, on anything. Wait for Variety and stuff.

6. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
  7. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    I will say this is an interesting development (if it ends up being even that).

It immediately begs the question "is this for the B&W movies"? The writer of that article has said it isn't. A lot of people immediately ran on the assumption that their movies would be set in the Old Republic era. Perhaps they're not. Particularly if Lucasfilm is having them powwow with Rian Johnson. If their movies were set in a completely different era than his, how necessary would such coordination be?

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    BuzzFeed News is a very legitimate and credible news source. Some of their reporters have made mistakes, of course, but that’s common across all legitimate news sources.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  9. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Me: Excited by this rumour because of Laeta Kalogridis' previous work on Shutter Island, Altered Carbon, and Alita: Battle Angel. And because I love KotOR and would want it adapted well.

Buzzfeed's Kate Aurthur : Excited by this because Laeta Kalogridis is a woman. :rolleyes:

Tython Awakening likes this.
  10. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    \

*Stifles a giggle*

Yeah, Fox & MSNBC are too.

Loved Shutter Island & Alita personally, but wait for the tried-and-true trades. Buzzfeed's basically the National Enquirer.

11. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    If this supposed KotOR trilogy does pan out, I’m hoping for one of the following:

1. A trilogy that somehow manages to combine the characters and storylines from KotOR 1 and 2 (this could also include stuff from the Revan novel and the Revan expansion of TOR, if need be).

2. A TOR trilogy with fresh characters that starts off with thousands of Jedi and Sith at war with one another and then at some point introduces Darth Bane, who then reduces the Sith down to just The Rule of Two by the end of the trilogy.

3. A TotJ trilogy that reinvents the Sith as mysterious creatures rather than simply “dark jedi with a different name.” Maybe even have Nagga Sadow as the main villain, idk.

4. A trilogy that reveals the origins of the very first Jedi, Sith, lightsabers, etc. (but don’t make it anything like the DotJ comics, as I was not a fan of that series).

12. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I have a gut feeling this is either the same as the D&D trilogy, or another Disney+ series. If they are straight up adapting the KOTOR duology, then I think that lends itself better to television and plus it creates the unique opportunity to continue the storyline past KOTOR2, a story we never got to see in a potential KOTOR3.

13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Someone call LucasFilm so they can put all 4 of these ideas into production immediately.

14. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Thanks for the positive feedback there!

Quick additional note: If Bane really does show up in one of these things, I think he should have his Vader-like look from TCW.

Darkslayer likes this.
  15. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    More evidence that this scoop is legit (whether or not KOTOR is actually going to happen). The date of this tweet is around the reported time Kalogridis was supposedly hired.

Kunka is an up-and-coming screenwriter who's sold a bunch of big projects and been on the annual Blacklist etc. Although he doesn't have a produced credit yet, he would be well-connected and know these things.

16. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    if they were really going to jump in and use the Kotor games story....I would absolutely love a Clone Wars Sized animated show about Revan and Malek fighting in the Mando Wars somewhere down the line. [face_praying]

KSennia likes this.
  17. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    The SW Expanded Universe will provide the roadmap if we get a Kotor trilogy. Seriously.

18. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Your information is seriously outdated. Buzzfeed News is considered a legitimate news source by journalists and has a number of respected and experienced journalists on staff. It’s not just the pop culture clickbait website it once was. Things have changed over there these past few years.

19. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Of course they can film the video games or the Darth Bane books. They don't do remakes.

I will suggest that the don't touch Bane or Revan. They are too delicate to fans.

New characters... either a secret "They are always two" Darth, or go with all out Sith Empire, but set in a time not so much written about.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  20. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    As someone who has read the books and played the game, I would hate to think Lucasfilm would stay away from Bane or Revan because they were afraid of disaproving fans. That would be a real indication of cowardice and lack of confidence in their own abilties. If they can't figure out a way to make a good Old Republic movie with all the characters fans expect to see, then they need to quit and bring in some people who can. When they do make a film that disappoints fans, they need to figure out what they did wrong, as opposed to denying it or blaming it on other factors. I mean, for God's sake, what's the point in buying the SW franchise if you're afraid to try and put it on screen?

21. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    The comics and novels we have from the Old Republic Era suggest there are many gaps to fill in with new films without duplicating stories already in print. There will always be some discrepancies, just as there have been with the older films.

22. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I think the problem is more the open hostility "fans" can exhibit.

RokurGepta and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  23. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Fans: Don't disappoint us, or else.

Fans: Use Legends characters that we love, or else.

In other words, paint by numbers and do exact as we say, or else.

cwustudent, Bilbo Fett and Bor Mullet like this.
  24. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    It really should not be that difficult to read the KOTOR novels, play the games, and then start planning a trilogy that is respectful to the source material. And if it is difficult, well that's life. Star Wars fans should have high expectations if Disney is going to dive into this territory. If they don't want to explore the KOTOR timeframe at all, that's fine. But if they do, they should make it RIGHT.

I don't think people should expect a perfect and flawless trilogy, and it is impossible to please every single fan, but also it shouldn't be impossible to please the majority. All it requires is good planning, hiring of people who understand the Star Wars universe, and devoted crews that will make the films consistent with the novels, the games, and what other Star Wars fans expect to see.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    KSennia and eko32eko7 like this.
  25. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Except something that is "respectful" is highly subjective. There's also the fact that, as great and as fun as some Legends stuff is, it's not exactly up to the standard/type of narrative where it can almost be adapted verbatim, meaning a fair bit of alternations will be needed for the big screen. Every time something is adapted, I'd imagine, the creatives believe they are being respectful. Their balance should be between being respectful and doing what is required to tell a good on-screen narrative. That is a balance that is always going to be tricky. What you don't want to do is for the creative to be so conservative that it doesn't work on screen and follows the source material too closely.

In short, it's easier said than done.

rocknroll41 and Bor Mullet like this.