main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
  2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Once again, proof that gun laws don't apply to black people: Man Narrowly Avoids Being Shot By Police Officer On FB Live

I daresay that the ONLY reason this young man is still alive is precisely because he live streamed it to social media. From the article:

The video shows the officer repeatedly screaming at Truitt to “shut your car off!” as the befuddled driver asks what he did wrong. When Truitt tells the cop that he is afraid to turn the car off because “you gon’ shoot me,” the officer yells “he’s got a gun!” followed by: “Gun!”

“Where? Truitt responds. “My hands [are] in the air.”

Truitt tells someone out of frame to shut the car off, explaining: “I ain’t moving my hands. He’s trying to shoot me,” repeatedly assuring the officer: “My hands are in the air.” The cop calls for backup while still pointing the firearm at Truitt, whose hands are still showing. After instructing Truitt numerous times to “shut the car off,” the cop tells Truitt, that he failed to comply with a “lawful order.”

Authorities now say they found a gun in the back seat, which Truitt doesn’t deny. On the video, he can be heard calmly telling the officers about the gun.

“It’s in my name. It’s registered,” Truitt explains, even though Arkansas law(pdf) allows for open-carry without a permit. A recent Arkansas Supreme Court ruling also affirmed the fact that Arkansas citizens are allowed to carry firearms in a vehicle without a permit...

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Take care of yourself, Juliet. Remember how spooked I got after the Charleston shooting, it impacts everyone.

5. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Just so senseless and it is preventable.

6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Death toll is at 12 now as apparently some died at the hospital.

I'm just in shock right now.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    ****er used a .45 with a silencer and extended magazines.

8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    X-posted from the US Politics thread:

The names of the victims have been released.

All but one of the victims were city employees. The one that wasn't was a contractor at the public utilities building trying to get a permit.

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Knowing people from this site that live all over has made these mass-shooting related news stories carry a lot more weight with me. I mean, I get that this is shallow, but it's just easy to become numb to "another shooting in a random place where some people died." But this kind of thing brings it home a lot more.

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    From the Beeb: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48483618

"At the scene

Harry Low, BBC News, Virginia Beach

In the pouring Saturday morning rain, witnesses and well-wishers came together for what has become a customary vigil to remember those killed.

Jayme Rivera, who works in the same complex and had gone home for the day, said her heart sank when she heard news of the shooting. "It doesn't even seem real," she said. "It's a tragedy, a senseless act of evil."

What is striking is the reluctance among those here to talk about tighter gun controls, an issue which will continue to divide this country even after 2019's largest mass shooting has been forgotten.

"We too often look to our leaders for answers on this and the answers are what you see here," says Eric whose friend saw his co-workers killed. "It's got to be community." "

Really? The same community that refuses to consider how this could have been stopped? That prefers to just invoke 'senseless evil' instead? This was planned. It had rationality combined with utter contempt for morality, with a view that other lives were of no value. This is horrible true, but it is very, very comprehensible. It's not hard to follow the steps, the chain of reasoning - if anything it could be argued that the victims are owed this if the society they were part of values them.

"According to US tracking website Gun Violence Archive, the incident is the 150th mass shooting in the US so far in 2019 - and the deadliest.

The site defines a mass shooting as a gun attack in which at least four people are either killed or wounded.

It is the worst such shooting in the US since November 2018, when 12 people were killed at a bar and grill near Los Angeles, California."

Not even halfway through the year and the US has nearly managed a mass shooting a day!

appleseed likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The US gun homicide rate is 25 times that of other developed countries.

58 percent of American adults or someone they care about have experienced gun violence in their lifetime. (I’m among that 58 percent.)

And people who like to pass along blame to “society” instead of doing Occam’s Razor and placing blame where it belongs—on the prevalence of guns, easy access to guns, and the John Wayne Cosplay culture—are doing just that—deflecting blame. “I should be able to shoot people who break into my house or look at me funny if I want to! It’s not my fault that some people decide to shoot people for other reasons!”

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    More Americans were shot to death by March of this year than died on D-Day

The population growth in the past 75 years cannot explain this away.

And of course Trump’s reaction is “What are you going to do, take guns away from hunters?” :rolleyes:

I’m pretty sure other first world democracies have hunters with guns, and manage to not have this problem.

Until the “what are you going to do” types are willing to try any of the measures that other first world democracies have successfully implemented, they can stop pretending they care.

15. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I'm guessing you would find a quite small percentage of deaths in the US are due to hunting riffles as well.

I personally tend to think that the Second Amendment is often viewed as a bit of an easy counter to criticism of government corruption as well, the idea of a population able to resist a potentially oppressive government that's arguably no longer the case given the massive resources of that government. In that situation. These days really pushing for greater governmental accountability/openness would be a far more effective way to go.

You could argue that plays especially well with Trump's appeal as well I spose.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  18. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    No, no, no - it's "purpose" is self-defense and standing up to government tyranny! :rolleyes:

Rew and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    ...via murder.

Of course it’s not murder if the person killed by a gun “deserved it” or something.

20. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
  21. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    It’s a violent world. I’ll keep the families of the victims in my thoughts.

22. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    A 6 year old among the victims. And when people ask me how I'm doing today I can't tell them Fing awful. Cause they'd ask why and politics are a bad topic especially at work. This is so wrong. We need to talk about this. There need to be stricter gun laws. You know but that's just my opinion, as a mother who wants a safer world for her children.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Getting involved in my local Moms Demand Action chapter has helped me a lot, as well as contributing monthly to Everytown for Gun Safety. The North Carolina chapter of Moms Demand Action (or maybe the Raleigh-Durham local) showed up at the legislative building in Raleigh and successfully got taken off the table this ridiculous bill that would arm teachers. (Considering that we protested two years in a row and the bat**** crazy General Assembly still had the audacity to pass a **** You Budget, I find it hilarious that they would consider arming us, but that’s another topic. “You can’t have a cost-of-living raise, adequate resources, and we’re cutting your health care, but here, have a gun.”)

I look forward to getting into Shannon Watts’ book Fight Like A Mother, which is currently sitting on my Kindle. Watts has been credited for single-handedly weakening the NRA.

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Had a wife and a kid. Hard to imagine who would take the plunge with a murderer of five, and then bring a child into that nightmare.

appleseed and Juliet316 like this.