main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Engage!" - Star Trek: Picard Discussion Thread [Paramount+/CraveTV]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Voider, May 16, 2019.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Like Discovery, I won't be able to watch this Pichard series because it's on CBS All Access. I don't want to take on another paid subscription streaming service.

Irony, but...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    In a few months I’m cutting the cable and going full on sub streaming. I’m finally tired of going through 300 channels, and finding nothing in particular I want to watch. I will have an antenna for local stations, although I have my doubts about it.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    There's always the "buy at the end of the season pay for 1 month and cancel" option

TX-20 and Sarge like this.
  4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    My brother cut the cable cord like four years ago and never looked back. My brother-in-law cut the cord two years ago and one of my friends last year. I won't be able to do it because my wife says no, for now.

I'm hoping that at some point these CBS All Access shows will make it onto Netflix or Amazon Prime. I'm not sure if CBS is getting a good return on their streaming service as I having heard any buzz for them. I mean, (IIRC) The Twilight Zone came on out their service but I haven't heard any buzz from it.

5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The fact that they're selling it in international markets (Amazon and Bell for Picard) probably mitigates the cost a bit. Like they could have put Picard on CBSAA in Canada as an exclusive, which CBSAA wasn't available when Discovery launched but now it is, but they probably sold it to Bell Media in Canada cuz they'd make more cash.

6. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Star Trek: Discovery Season 1 came out on Blu-Ray and DVD so you can just buy that instead of subscribing to CBSAA. That's what I did(which I need to get around to actually watching).

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Jesus. It's actually a lot cheaper to just wait until the season is over, subscribe for a month and then watch the episodes over the course of the month.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Spiner reported to be returning as Data.

No details yet as far as to what extent or in what capacity.

Also, we glimpse the visual in the teaser but there was a full poster version released as well:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Of course, this is what Spiner said on Twitter (that retweet is in reply to Jonathan Frakes who is like 1000% directing an episode at minimum, let's not kid ourselves):

And the article your article sources has been conspicuously deleted. So I'm not saying "no way" but I am saying "I have some doubts."

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  10. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Episode synopsis: "Picard visits Riker in the hospital after his former first officer broke his hip trying to mount a chair. Also Data is old and fat for some reason."

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, that would undercut the likelihood.

12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Anyone think Doctor Crusher died which made Admiral Picard leave Starfleet? Wouldn't be that sad if him and Beverly were an item. Wait, he kissed Lilly and hooked up with that lady when fighting the So'na, didn't he? Argh, I keep getting the All Good Things continuity in my head (Which the teaser isn't helping dispel!)

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's still possible -- Picard was Ambassador to Vulcan in Star Trek: Countdown which supposedly "counts" as canon, which keeps the Ambassador bit in canon, as well as "All Good Things..." indicating that timeline was changed -- so Picard may have been an Admiral, retired due to Beverly dying, but still become an Ambassador by 2387 (Countdown)... so Quest can tell us if that timeline works, given the proposed timing of Picard being after Admiral / retirement and before Romulus exploding...

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  14. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Opening shot:

Wesley appears in the Vineyard, carrying a padd with a lost log. His back facing, an elderly man snips the growth along the vine, only to be interrupted by the middle-aged man, albeit with his youthful buzz, who holds out the padd to the elderly man. The man takes the padd and tosses it over his shoulder to then retreat to the barn to drink milk directly from a cow's breast.

15. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Countdown is not canon.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's quasi-canon. The story is by Orci & Kurtzman, the latter of whom is producing Picard. So there's an above average likelihood of him taking it as canon, at least in part. Orci once talked about Countdown and said that while it's not up to him to declare it canon or not, there are stories he takes as character canon until a movie or something contradicts it.

So, until Picard states otherwise, it's a pretty good starting point for speculation. But PIC could change details if it wanted to.

I don't think Countdown mentions Crusher, so I suppose it could work.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    Iron_lord likes this.
  17. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I really hope to god they dont fridge Beverly

BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, they can motivate Picard without having to off a TNG crew member offscreeen. Especially after how underused she was in the films.

19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Say goodbye to the books, nerds, because Kansas is going bye bye.

Sad to say, but yeah, this is the way it's looking. Kind of a shame as the books were in a healthy position too.

20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Star Trek has never made it a secret that those books don’t matter once it’s time to make a new show. Honestly it’s maybe a better approach than the one Star Wars took where they lied and said they did count. Twice.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    True, and generally, I much prefer Trek's honesty over Wars's smokescreens and games.

But it has this weird rule where, because they are deemed 'tie in material', it can't just continue as alternate continuity. If there wasn't a good amount of fuel left in the tank, it wouldn't matter, but on this occasion, it does have that. It's a shame to have to jettison it all.

If the last 20 years proved anything it's that you can, sometimes, have continuity without canon. If it had been? I doubt it'd would have taken the risks it did.

(Let's not discuss the unholy mess that is Hobus.)

22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    If the Picard that’s been portrayed in seven series and four films suddenly went wah wah, Bev died, I’m peacing out...

Well, just Seinfeld gif me.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Could stop there. The books were never canon, other than (I had thought) explicit material like Countdown which even then apparently doesn't count.

25. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I didn't think the tornadoes were that bad.