main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Future Of The Force/Force Users Post TROS

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Ghost, Mar 25, 2018.

?

They should, whether still called "Jedi" or not... (see post for more detailed descriptions)

1. 1A- allow marriage/offspring/family

56.8%
  2. 1B- NOT allow marriage/offspring/family

9.6%
  3. 1C- multiple temples, some like 1A, some like 1B

24.0%
  4. 2A- be centralized, all accepting assignments obediently from a single council/leader

10.4%
  5. 2B- NOT be centralized, wandering do-gooders following the Force

31.2%
  6. 2C- multiple temples, some like 2A, some like 2B

36.8%
  7. 3A- affiliated with the (Newer?) Republic

14.4%
  8. 3B- NOT affiliated with any government

46.4%
  9. 3C- mutiple temples, some like 3A, some like 3B (and some even possibly serving other governments)

21.6%
  10. 4- Should be of all careers/cultures, not strictly "Jedi"... & even non-sensitives

21.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    Just making an observation. I think JJ has a neat opportunity to have parallels to the Reformation. IMO Luke was on to something with his disillusionment with the Jedi. The problem is that he threw the baby out with the bathwater. Structure is necessary for any belief system, but too much structure and concentrated authority can end up defeating the purpose. In the case of the Jedi, they had a good ole boys club that agreed to let Obi-Wan train Anakin merely to honor Qui-Gon. And as Palpatine rose to power, they couldn't see what was going on right under their nose.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    Mostly Handless likes this.
  2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003

Ah, gotcha!

BTW I totes agree with the highlighted. That's pretty much my stance on the whole thing as well. Which-yes, that "too much structure" idea does make the protestant reformation idea very similar, I see what you're getting at there now.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    Mostly Handless and indydefense like this.
  3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    You can have one Jedi organization that is structured. But not all of them need to be.

4. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed-and that's actually how I voted. Having some structure, but also the existence of Jedi on their own throughout the galaxy. I believe "wandering, do-gooders" is the term the poll used.

5. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Lightsabers should be featured very sparingly. Focus the story on something other than Jedi. It’s big galaxy

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Whatever they do, it’s critically important that they avoid the slippery slope that could lead to over-superheroization of the Jedi.

Mostly Handless and zackm like this.
  7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Capes. Jedi with capes. They can borrow some from Lando.

8. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The Jedi need those figure hugging onesies that somehow suck into the crevasses of your abs to make them more defined.

9. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'd go with multiple sects. One following the old Jedi ways, one or more newer interpretations. I even think a superhero-esque group could be interesting if done right--if SW can have train robberies and gunfighters I don't see why a different flavor of American mythology can't be incorporated as well.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s just that they have the unique quality of destroying legitimate tension and weight in stories. Unless you ramp up the powers of the antagonists. And then you have to ramp up the powers of a protagonist to match them. And it’s a slippery slope until you end up with hundreds of people flying around CGI landscapes for two hours. I think the grounded nature of Star Wars is an absolutely essential distinguishing feature of the franchise. And I think it would be a mistake to break that.

zackm likes this.
  11. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Capes!

Mostly Handless and Bor Mullet like this.
  12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    On the whole I've never considered SW "grounded." Especially in regards to the action scenes. Also I've seen frenetic, CGI-heavy superhero films that have me invested in the emotion and tension more so than a number of SW entries. So, agree to disagree. One fan's mistake is another's potential selling point.

13. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Ehh. CG-spectacle of the Marvel kind is a dangerous game for Star Wars.

Geoge at least kept it a little restrained and in-check with his time on the prequels, serving the actual story, but most directors (especially young directors, the under-50 crowd) ain't George, they're prone to just go nuts.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  14. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    It would be pretty cool to see more than 1 of them at a time. The mind boggles as to why we haven't had more Jedi in the ST. I guess we will have to wait for future movies. I thought for sure that a handful of Luke's students that survived Kylo's attack on the temple were in hiding in TFA and they'd all converge together at some point in episode 8 for the finale of that movie.

Going forward I do think Rey's Jedi academy will be Jedi of the Order of Skywalker or something like that. Explains the Episode 9 title and it's a nice ode to Luke and the Skywalker Saga.

A trilogy focusing on teens at this Jedi school (perhaps Rey is very old like 70 or 80 and has a cameo) could be fascinating.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  15. AdamQD

AdamQD Jedi Master

Apr 2, 2006
    My main issues with the ST, its missing that special ingredient to me.

16. Crimson_Guard975

Crimson_Guard975 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 17, 2014
    I would propose:

The Skywalkers: The light-sided group. Inspired by Luke and Rey, they take the teachings about the Force being "bigger" than what most PT era Jedi believed to heart. They're less of a monastic order and more along the lines of the Green Lantern Corps: there are Skywalkers assigned to different various sectors in the Galaxy, battling injustice in their jurisdiction.

The GenoHaradan: A secretive society of warriors trained in the Jedi arts who use their skills as assassins; the stealthy, duplicitous ninja contrast to the more samurai-esque Skywalkers. They operate in secrecy, and claim that their targets are threats to peace and stability in the Galaxy (like the Assassins from Assassin's Creed or the Weapons of Fate from Wanted), but the Skywalkers view them as criminals and suspect that the Dark Side has already started to corrupt them.

17. Sephiroth1335

Sephiroth1335 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2019
    Multiple Temples.. some like 2B, some like 2C

18. WayoftheJedi

WayoftheJedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2019
    Jedi order rebuild at Ahch-To not affiliated with any government.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They should be wandering puppet show entertainers and kazoo performers.

Mostly Handless and Bor Mullet like this.
  20. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Supposedly Luke was doing OK, he even had the Church of the Force to back him and his new generation of Jedi. Plus the safely net of the New Republic, which from can be observed, was he disconnected from it anyway. Any Jedi can go dark, not like they need much to drive them there or create a scenario that creates or sets off another Vader or galactic war. Thats basically why Luke wanted the Jedi to end, himself included although he lacked the will to kill himself and destroy the books much like he lacked the will to fight Kylo or Snoke(never mind "return of Palpatine").

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  21. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    I picked 4 but I also think there should be a traditional branch that wants to continue the old ways of the Jedi. Another branch that breaks traditional ways such as marriage and having families. Chirrut Imwe would be a perfect example of a non force user becoming a Jedi. Luke even said that believing the force is only for the Jedi is vanity and I agree. The Jedi way of life should be beneficial not just to force users. It’s like science and math some people have a natural spectacular understanding and application of knowledge of these subjects. Others don’t but still have some basic understanding that is necessary and beneficial to mankind. Then you have the pseudo scientist and mathematicians they are like dark side users perverting the balance of knowledge and mixing it with self professed ignorance disguised as knowledge. So I think anyone who wants to learn the ways of the force should be able to.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  22. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Rogue One worked (for the most part) without involving much in the way of Jedi vs. Sith.

Though it wasn’t a success, Solo told its own story with non-dark side villains (except for Maul, who only interacts with one character).

Mostly Handless and Iron_lord like this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    No need for a focus. It’s a massive, rich, textured world. Do all kinds of stuff with it. Force, politics, war, religion, underworld, family, etc.

24. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    For the trilogies and sagas I think it always has to be in there to some extent even if it's not the focus. For stand alones and Disney+ series they can explore a much broader canvas in more detail.

25. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Hi.
    First off, dear Mullet, Rogue One was heavily about The Force, of course. Just not about Jedi.

I think The Force is a core part of this Fantasy World. It needs it's Wizards and Magic. That can be bypassed now and again, but any future Sagas has to have their Magic.

Whatever they choose to call it. But I think "Jedi" is a pretty core name and idea. They'll be back and central to it all.

Mostly Handless and Darth Smurf like this.