main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Original trilogy theatrical version

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Vader fan 99, May 16, 2019.

1. Vader fan 99

Vader fan 99 Jedi Knight star 1

May 6, 2019
    I orderd the DVD set of the original trilogy theatrical versions on DVD a week ago. They arrived today. I haven't seen these versions since I was a kid on VHS. I'm looking forward to rewatching these versions.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Ah the original Boba Fett's voice and Han shooting first. :) Enjoy. Greedo missing Han from 2 feet away makes him look like the stupidest bounty hunter in the galaxy.

3. Vader fan 99

May 6, 2019
    Thanks, I'm very excited to rewatch these for the first time in years!

Encuentro and christophero30 like this.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    How do they look? The ones I have are letterboxed way too much, and the image is about half the size of the screen.

christophero30 likes this.
  5. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Like the rest of the scene doesn't already? That he didn't get Han to put his hands up or on the table confirms Greedo's stupidity.

Playing them on the 4K screen and with the right zoom it's watchable enough with the poor VHS quality they are.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  6. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    Two wrongs don't make a right. While it's improved a bit over time, the change never looked right. The idea behind the change is understandable, although it seems a bit inconsistent given that Lucas apparently thinks Darth Vader, who's caused the death of millions is redeemable, but Han shooting a guy who was obviously about to shoot him somehow makes him a cold blooded killer. So, the change is both unnecessary, and poorly executed (although I don't see how it could have been well executed without reshooting the scene).

Ps. I guess this allways happens when the OOT and the SE are compared, and am actually kind of sorry I responded. So, I'll leave it at this, such that we won't get another OOT vs SE debate. Both versions have their strengths and weaknesses. Let's just celebrate these movies in all their guises, and turn this into a positive thread, where the theatrical versions can be discussed.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  7. Vader fan 99

May 6, 2019
    The quality is not so great! I Actually preffer the quality of the special editions overall even if they are lesser versions of the films

Sarge and christophero30 like this.
  8. Vader fan 99

May 6, 2019
    The quality actually reminds me of my old VHS

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I envy you so much.

Vader fan 99 likes this.
  10. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    If Lucas hadn't perceived the overwhelming reaction that the audience got (that Han was a "cold blooded killer") then he probably wouldn't have changed it but he did. As he said not that long ago people got upset when he added 7 frames to show that he wasn't one.

The actual scene doesn't really play that way in complete context but his major mistake was thinking people would take the subtitles into consideration. While a nice idea rather than having everyone speak "english" he, somewhat understandably at the time, forgot that with no actual dialogue and his silent movie set-up that it just looked like he shot a guy for no great reason (even if he had a gun out).

Agreed. If he'd made it the current version the first time then I don't think it'd be anywhere as near a problem.

As I've said before if they would have reconstituted the scene from the original elements (presuming they could) and edited it to the original version of the scene shot where Greedo is very specific that he's going to kill Han right then and there it could have worked.

Taking out the dialogue that was pulled from the then unseen Jabba encounter would help both this scene and the Jabba one which while nice enough is completely redundant. In this case Lucas didn't change it enough.

KyleKartan and Vader fan 99 like this.
  11. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    At least you get to sing (and dance, if so inclined) to Lapti Nek and Yub Nub

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  12. Vader fan 99

May 6, 2019
    Yep!

Bob Effette likes this.
  13. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    ANH benefitted the most from the special edition. The final Death Star battle was improved. I don't really care for the prolonged landspeeder approach to Mos Eisley. But seeing the Falcon take off was awesome.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    whostheBossk and Vader fan 99 like this.
  14. s_heffley

s_heffley Chosen One star 7

Jun 7, 2015
    To be fair, I actually like this :p All of Star Wars's bounty hunters are basically the same. They're all, for lack of a better word, bad*** dudes. Having a bounty hunter who's just an idiot is a lot more fun ;)

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Iron_lord and Doompup like this.
  15. The One Above All

The One Above All Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 11, 2017
    Which editions did you get? Was it the ones released in 2006, as in the ones with the letterbox format?

16. Vader fan 99

May 6, 2019
    Yes, 2006

17. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I haven't seen the OOT in years, so I rented a copy of the limited edition DVD of ANH, and suffice it so say, I'm waiting for a BR release. I've been wanting to see the unedited originals, considering I only own the special edition DVDs, but I don't plan on purchasing the old versions until they're cleaned up. I don't believe for a second that better copies don't exist. When the DVDs and BRs were released, surely the originals were all digitized to then be edited and altered, right? Somewhere at LFL, full HD versions of the OOT surely exist.

Vader fan 99 and Sarge like this.
  18. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    I'm still waiting to find a cheap laserdisc player (I know, not gonna happen), so I usually just go for my old VHS copies. It's part of the charm for me, but I'd definitely be down for some cleaned up Blu-ray copies!

19. Vader fan 99

May 6, 2019
    I agree! The blueray special edition looks better. My dream is that Disney remasters the OOT on blue ray and DVD.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Mother_Talzin likes this.
  20. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    My home video collection has been all over the place and I was previously accustomed to the theatrical trilogy on VHS simply out of habit. I thought it'd be worth it to upgrade to digital with the OOT DVD release, but just looking at the price gouging going on gave me a headache. I hope you found a fair price, most sellers just take advantage of the fan demand for the OOT and charge ridiculous rates trying to sucker in anyone out of the loop (these aren't that rare fyi).

Between the current Blu Ray and the OOT on VHS, I'm fine with what I've got.

21. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    Not to mention that weird little CG "neck dodge" move from Han lol.

Vader fan 99 and christophero30 like this.
  22. Vader fan 99

May 6, 2019
    I was able to find them for only 25 dollars on ebay. So that was an offer I couldn't refuse! Ioved my old VHS but I no longer have VHS capability

SlashMan likes this.
  23. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    That's my biggest issue with the scene. It's not whether it does or doesn't do anything to Han's character arc, it's the fact that it looks awful. The blaster bolt comes out of Greedo's gun (which is pointed directly at Han) at a ridiculous angle, Han's little photoshopped neck jerk looks like he's a marionette on strings, and it completely disrupts the organic pacing of the scene.

StarYogi likes this.
  24. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Yes. The scene was much better when Han shot solo.

StarYogi likes this.
  25. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Han Solo CGI of climbing up over Jabba's tail.

Vader fan 99 and StarYogi like this.