main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Who Should Direct the Next/Future Star Wars Film(s)?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 14, 2019.

1. Cal Kestis

Cal Kestis Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2019
    Sir Peter Jackson!

Darkslayer likes this.
  2. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Would totally be on the Raimi train personally. Nice call.

Jackson, ehh, not sure I'd be into a 3-and-a-half Star Wars story he could tell in 110 minutes if he was familiar with basic concepts like editors. :) Watched Kong again recently, and damn, you could slice a third of that flick and not lose anything important.

cwustudent, Dandelo and Bor Mullet like this.
  3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    She hired JJ Abrams twice.

topgoalscorer_no11 likes this.
  4. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    I know he hasn't done anything decent for decades, but I do feel that Ridley Scott loves Star Wars and might make a beautiful looking Star Wars film. Let's be honest, it sticks in my craw, but Nolan would knock it out of the park. He's perfect for Star Wars. Give him the damn trilogy, and see how good a modern Star Wars film might actually be.

5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I love the fact that the man who directed Dead Alive is a knight.

Bor Mullet and Cal Kestis like this.
  6. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Does Ridley love Star Wars though?

Probably does, he came up about the same time as Lucas and Alien took that "lived-in" feel to another level, just never seen a quote from him about it.

7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    "Dead Alive"? Pfft, it's called Braindead. [face_shame_on_you]

:p

He has stated many times that he loves Star Wars and that the used-universe aesthetics inspired him a lot when he made Alien. However, he seems to only like the original film.

8. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Yeah, that sort of makes sense. The influence on Alien is definitely documented, but as you say, he probably holds the original heads-and-shoulders above all that's come after, seems like that type of purist.

He's into all the classic fairytale mythology stuff too, as evident by Legend. Good god do I love that movie.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes, Legend is brilliant. One of the best fantasy movies of the 80s.

10. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Going a couple of posts up though, Nolan? I dunno. Love the guy's early work, but for some reason I think I might be over Nolan. Dunkirk did absolutely nothing for me, which was sort of shocking - Nolan telling the Dunkirk story? A decade ago that would have had me so unbelievably psyched for it.

Just kind of feel like he's doing schtick at this point, he has his nonlinear formula and Zimmer scores and cast regulars and just runs with it. Which is...fine, but I kinda feel like he's wearing his Pretentious Pants a whole lot lately too. I kind of get the sense the original Spielberg take on Interstellar would have been something more special than what we got, and Inception's pretty much Donnie Darko levels of "not as smart as it thinks it is". It's a fine movie, but way overrated too if that makes sense.

The nonlinear approach to Dunkirk just didn't work either, not every movie needs that.

Still, guess we'll always have Memento & The Prestige. Stunning flicks. Really love Begins as well, nitpicks aside.

I dunno, just feel his stuff is a little "cold" for Star Wars in a whole lot of ways. He's in that cerebral spot which is fine, but he doesn't do so great with the heart.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    EHT and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  11. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I still want to see a James Mangold movie in the GFFA at some point.

12. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Yeah, Mangold's just genetically built for this stuff. The next time a story with a western flair pops up, throw it his way. 3:10 To Yuma & Logan are both total beasts.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  13. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    If Ridley makes a Star Wars film, I want another song by Bryan Ferry and David Gilmour. Am I asking too much?

14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Amen. I’m still a little bitter that he’s not doing Fett. Though the Mando TV show looks like a more than adequate replacement.

Krueger likes this.
  15. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Reminder to keep an eye on Niki Caro if the live action Mulan turns out to be a big hit.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Surely Kathleen must have approached Cuaron by now?

17. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Love Cuaron bigtime, but is he much of a team player? As someone who never got on the Harry Potter train, books or movies alike, I'm still pretty sure he only directed the one, right? Do we know much of how smoothly that went, like did he feel constrained or start whineing about the oversight/lack of final cut or whatever?

Seems his heart's just kinda more in his own films, somehow, like he's better suited to non-franchise types of things? Then again, guess I would have said the same about Rian before getting the TLJ gig too, so who knows.

Children Of Men is one goddamn stunning movie though, probably in my top 5 ever. Alfonso's the man.

18. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Cuaron would be a great pick for a spin-off film. I can see it being about the savior of the proletariat on Nar Shaddaa or Coruscant already ;)

IlhamKamaruddin and Bor Mullet like this.
  19. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Cuaron would be great. I like Sam Mendes too. Or even Denis Villenueve, after his amazing work with Blade Runner.

IlhamKamaruddin and Bor Mullet like this.
  20. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Villeneuve's about the best guy working right now, love him, but can't see him ever setting foot within a thousand miles of SW. Cuaron's sorta benefit-of-the-doubt on whether he plays well with others, but kinda seems like Villeneuve's a definite "no" on that. He kinda got lucky with Blade Runner in terms of being basically left alone with a blank check, that's not gonna happen at Lucasfilm. It'd likely be a Danny Boyle on Bond situation, "whaa, I don't get to approach a 150 million dollar movie the same as a smaller art film!".

BR2049 also bombed, great as it was. Dune's probably gonna too.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think directors like Cuaron or Villeneuve are more likely to get a SW project of their own than they are to work on D&D's trilogy. I think it's more likely we'll see a director who has already worked with them on GoT like a MacLaren or Sapochnik.

22. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    I'd totally be up for MacLaren for one of Rian's movies too, keep that whole Breaking Bad thing going. She's seriously talented and has the connections with both groups, D&W & Johnson alike. A good fit for either project.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Amen. Children of Men is astoundingly good, as are all his films.

Most people consider his Prisoners of Azkaban to be the best of the Potter films, by far, and that production was smooth, so I don’t see an issue with him working with the Lucasfilm team.

TCF-1138 and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  24. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Ah, cool. Yeah, just didn't know much about how that went production-wise, having never got into the series personally. But I mean, yeah, if he's happy working on something where he's not granted a total dictatorship over the film and has to color within certain lines, he'd be a great way to go.

Kinda just can't see him willingly inserting himself below someone like Rian or D&W on the totem pole personally, but he just might be.

25. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I don't even know what is B&W role on this. The are surely in charge of it all, kind of like LFL wanted Abrams to be for the ST. But are writters expected to be hired? Are B&W themselves expected to direct of write one of tje movies?

I believe these sort of questions will be answered in 2020.