main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Original trilogy theatrical version

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Vader fan 99, May 16, 2019.

1. Vader fan 99

Vader fan 99 Jedi Knight star 1

May 6, 2019
    The aspect ratio really doesn't bother me that much. I've been reliving my childhood watching the theatrical version. I grew up on the 1995 vhs tapes. I must have watched those tapes hundreds of times as a Kid. While I really don't mind some changes of the later various special editions the OOT will always be the best versions of the original trilogy

2. Jango723

Jango723 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 16, 2011
    Hahaha

Hernalt likes this.
  3. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    I'm a bit of a nut, I have so many VHS copies jic one of the VCRs (we have 3 and we use them, I guess I'm more than just a bit of a nut!) eats a tape. The only one that's been eaten so far was my son's RotJ SE, which wasn't even slightly painful. I do get nervous though. I won't play my taped-off-Sci-fi with BDW commentary, and idk what happened to my CF commentary copies (and that is painful :().

4. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I have to echo some sentiments from the previous page - back in 97 when I first watched the SE, I was certainly amazed with some of the CGI scene expansions, especially Mos Eisley. I still enjoy those cuts in the current version of the movie on BR. As I grow older, I do crave to see a crisp HD version of the originals I saw as a kid. We were limited to VHS, so it would be a treat to see it in all its glory. I'd honestly be happy to see every version of the OT put on BR - they have the technology to do it, why not restore & upgrade everything and give the viewer the option...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  5. Vader fan 99

May 6, 2019
    Yes, give us deluxe editions of the theatrical, 97, 04 and 11 versions of the original trilogy on DVD and blue ray

6. C.Roach

C.Roach Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    I would be happy with just the original versions completely restored. I am sick of seeing the SE trilogy, with their trashy CGI and messed up colour grading.

7. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    In terms of film history, preserving both the original theatrical versions and the various SEs is the right thing to do. But the originals should probably get priority, being the first and most important versions.

darklordoftech, Doompup, T-R- and 6 others like this.
  8. C.Roach

May 3, 2018
    I will be very interested in seeing whether the original versions will be part of the 4K set - or not?

Vader fan 99 likes this.
  9. Vader fan 99

May 6, 2019
    4K sets?

10. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    They are rumored to be coming in 2020. Yes, I know. Rumors are a dime a dozen when it comes to a release of the theatrical versions, but releasing the saga on 4K seems like the natural next step after Blu-ray.

[ EDITOR'S NOTE ] We've been asked about the 'original negatives' statement above. These were the words our contact used, but as many will know, George Lucas previously claimed that the original negatives had been used/altered in the creation of his 'special editions'. We are attempting to clarify this part of the story to confirm whether this release will contain a) the original films, b) the special editions, or c) both/something in between!

Update (22:20 on 11/04/19): Following a second conversation our contact helped clarify that Disney are working towards delivering something that will "please fans" and that the original material has come from a "variety of source ... much of the original film and negative stock was in poor condition even before George worked on the Special Editions" and the restoration team sought out the "best possible version" of each scene within the LucasFilm and Fox archives. The original trilogy 4K remaster was started way back in 2014 and has been through a number of iterations as new alternative/better copies of some scenes have come to light. The print watched by Gareth Edwards has had some improvement since he viewed it but everything other than Episodes II and III has been locked in now.
    https://www.thedigitalfix.com/film/...-saga-4k/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

sith_rhino likes this.
  11. Sephiroth1335

Sephiroth1335 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2019
    That's interesting I'm curious about the upgrades... I realize this series and the originals is like constantly undergoing renovatinons and improvements...

I myself have never really seen an early raw version... already having seen some kinda remaster... I think it's good though I guess...

I'm curious if they release yet another one what that might be like... kinda cool potentially.

Vader fan 99 likes this.
  12. sith_rhino

sith_rhino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 9, 2007
    No, my VHS tapes are widescreen. Most VHS tapes were probably 4:3, but they did have widescreen as well. I agree - I too hope that the 2006 theatrical version DVDs will some day soon become obsolete!

Vader fan 99 and Encuentro like this.
  13. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    I'm not really an edition purist as mentioned, but if that 4K release comes with all versions then I'm definitely interested. Might have to splash out for the right player!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    whostheBossk and Vader fan 99 like this.
  14. ForScience

ForScience Jedi Padawan

Apr 8, 2019

This gives me so much hope. I think that Lucas finally has gotten enough distance that he can be at peace with the original versions.

whostheBossk and christophero30 like this.
  15. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    If Disney releases restorations of the unaltered original trilogy on 4K, it'll be the best thing they've done since purchasing Lucasfilm, and I've loved (TFA/TLJ) or liked (RO/Solo) all four films they've made so far so far.

16. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    As pointed out in the past it's not like he didn't release the "original" versions (which can be interpreted in many ways as to what that is) because he did as the bonus discs. He simply didn't want to spend anything in funds to do so. IIRC was it Roffman who wanted to work from prints but then they ended up with the laser disc masters?

What is seemingly inevitable will be 4K releases of I-VI (all of which are different in some way from their original theatrical releases even if it's like 2 shots or whatever in the case of ROTS) so the possibility of some versions of the OOT seems more likely than not.

17. Vader fan 99

May 6, 2019
    Are these discs sourced from the 1995 VHS edition? I'm courius what the source for the theatrical versions

whostheBossk likes this.
  18. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    For those into this kind of thing - I like the "semi-specialized" versions put together by kk650. Many of the color grading issues are improved and some of the more egregious SE additions are as well. However, they aren't all removed and I think that for the most part good choices were made on which ones to remove.

For example - Han shoots first, but we have the new effects in the Yavin battle. (granted I haven't seen the original Yavin battle in many years... so maybe I would be fine with a properly restored version... the CGI ships honestly don't bother me though. It's the older organic CGI that I find more off putting).

FWIW, I don't blame Lucas for not spending his own money to restore/re-release the original editions. Take the 4 billion from Disney and let them do it if they want to.

I don't know the guy, but I'm guessing he probably wouldn't care that much if they were restored and re-released. He just doesn't want to spend the time/money/effort to do it because it's not his definitive edition. I'm sure the work would pay for itself, but it's still work and it's not cheap or easy.

I will say that it would be awesome to have most/all the various editions in a set. Would be cool to have them to compare and see how things were changed. It would also be interesting to read a retrospective on why various changes were made (my understanding is that some changes were made because of degradation... like the original audio track was in bad shape, but they had an alternate in better shape with slightly different dialogue).

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  19. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I really want the OOT now. But I don’t expect it.

20. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    The entire Skywalker Saga is being released in March. There has been no official announcement as of yet and no word as to whether or not the set will contain the theatrical cuts.

Vader fan 99 likes this.
  21. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I doubt we will see the OOT - they’re just going to double down on the ‘official’ versions.

Vader fan 99 likes this.
  22. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Boy, that would sure give fans a reason to buy the most expensive set. Remember, Lucasfilm potentially has Mike Verta's painstaking 4k restoration to use (it was his intention to pitch it to Disney/Lucasfilm for them to sell before he went silent). As for the other two in the trilogy? I doubt there's a presentable transfer available, and it's even more doubtful they'd do one as a bonus feature.

23. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    OOT or another skipped purchase.

Doompup and C.Roach like this.
  24. C.Roach

May 3, 2018
    Easy pass if the originals are not included.

Doompup likes this.
  25. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    As much as I want to see the OOT, I've given up on it being released. Disney-Lucasfilm is clearly unwilling or unable to do so for reasons pertaining to Lucas' wishes, and that's just the way it is. I'm not going to dwell on it.

More likely than not, this 27-disc set is going to include: the nine Skywalker saga films on 4K UHD (9 discs), the nine Skywalker saga films on Blu-ray (18 discs), and an additional nine discs of bonus features, one for each film (27 discs).