main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How would you feel if George Lucas bought back the franchise?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Jesta', May 18, 2019.

?

Do you think there is any chance he would buy it back?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    9.0%
  2. No

71 vote(s)
    91.0%
  1. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    I don't know that any other event in pop culture could ever have the potential to make me happier than the occurrence of this impossibility.

2. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Realistically never going to happen, I think the most you could ever hope for would be Lucas being rehired as CEO of Lucasfilm.

3. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    oh god no he would never buy it back. He was pretty depressed after the hate he got for the PT so much so that he vowed never to do the ST.

Not to mention I doubt if some how he did decided to do the ST the fan reception woudlnt' be any better then it was with the PT.

edit; Remember prior to Disney buying Star Wars this was the big project and the directon Lucas saw for Star Wars

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Emperor Ferus likes this.
  4. Jesta'

Jesta' Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2017
    It's in the same vein the as Robot Chicken and Family Guy specials. Remember The Clone Wars was a big project, and the direction Lucas saw for Star Wars.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  5. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    yes it is in the same vein as those the difference is this was 100% funded and made by Lucasflim. Lucas was heavily involved in Star Wars detours Lucas himself even made the anoucment as this and said this was the 5th animated Star Wars series.

Lucas was more involved with Detours then Clone Wars. He even sat in on the writing room

https://screencrush.com/lost-star-wars-tv-show-detours/

6. Sephiroth1335

Sephiroth1335 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2019
    I defintiely wouldn't feel bad if he were involved again on some deeper level but it's also entirely up to him I suppose.

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I'd be sad. George put in a lifetime's worth of work for our enjoyment, and is as deserving of a peaceful and pleasant retirement as anyone. A large contingent of this fanbase is neither of those things, and that wouldn't magically change if he took on a larger role again.

KyleKartan and Sarge like this.
  8. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    I was really looking forward to Detours, it looks great. Were the episodes ever released anywhere?

9. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    People tend to forget that George Lucas sold the franchise partially because of the bashing he received. I don't see any reasons why the fans' reaction to the new films would cause him to change his mind even if he had the power to reclaim ownership of Star Wars.

George is a human being, and as others have said on here, he is 75. He deserves to enjoy his retirement the way he wants to.

Iron_lord, Red23, oierem and 3 others like this.
  10. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Yep...and in the end it showed that it wasnt about him. I remember back in 2012 when the company was sold and the people who hated so much on Lucas said: "now comes a golden time for SW, now that bad Lucas is finally gone!" Many of those now hate the new Disney SW as much as they hated anything SW since 1997. Ironic...

Lets have GL have his retirement. He has a wife, he as a kid. I think he really deserves it!

Red23, oierem, TheMoldyCrow and 2 others like this.
  11. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Had a good laugh with that. It's about celebrating the legacy at this point.

christophero30 likes this.
  12. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I would love to see a KOTOR trilogy directed by George.

Luna2112, Tython Awakening and Jesta' like this.
  13. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I don't really care which direction they go after tRoS TBH. One new trilogy is enough to satisfy my Star Wars craving for the next decade or two.
    Lucas can do his Star Wars Detours trilogy or whatever and I might see it if I hear it's good

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  14. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Let him live happily in retirement. Not like the lot of you would end up caring about whatever he'd put out anyway.

KyleKartan likes this.
  15. Merric

Merric Jedi Master star 3

Jan 26, 2013
    Honestly... I would prefer it if he did buy it back someday. I love star wars but I don't need a movie every other year for the rest of my life like disney thinks I do. I don't even need multiple tv shows going on at once like Disney is planning to do in the future. I was just fine in between 2005 and the year that disney bought the franchise because of all the books, comics, games, ect. that we had.
    I do think it's safe to say though that he will never buy it back. He let go of the series because he didn't want to deal with it anymore.

Jesta' likes this.
  16. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    I don't think he has the capital even if he wanted to, and yeah, the dude's old. Sooner or later, the franchise needed new blood, one way or the other, even if he stuck around in the advisory role.

Not to mention, while I hardly think it's handled everything perfectly, Disney is still a better choice than some others out there--*cough*Sony*cough*.

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Unfortunately it's not going to happen. How would I feel if he did? Ecstatic.

Red23 and Jesta' like this.
  18. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Episode 9 is not bombing at the box office and Disney Is not selling Lucasfilm they are sitting on a goldmine here they would be crazy to sell it if anything may be hire some one else to run it in the future obviously Kathleen Kennedy Isn't in Disney's long term plans. I personally Love Disney and think George had his time in the sun but gave it up for good. I don't want to see George buy back the Company may be let George Direct a film though,

I have loved all the Disney Star Wars movies I don't get why people didn't like Solo A Star Wars Story It was a great film as were all the Disney Star Wars films. I know TLJ gets a lot of flack but I think most that saw TLJ loved it a Loud minority did not care for TLJ I think a big reason for Solos poor numbers was Star Wars overkill you had a film come out in December then 5 months later you have another star wars film in May a lot of people didn't even know Solo was out in the theater which brings us to the second reason Solo did poorly, poor Marketing not enough trailers. Doing some spacing of these films could be a good idea may be every 2 years. I also want to see a return of the spin off films and how about a Pixar Star Wars crossover A Star Wars themed Toy Story...

KyleKartan likes this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Lucas will buy back the rights to Star Wars only in a post-apocalyptic ruin where Bob Iger gives it back to him for more more blankets and a half a barrel of fuel.

20. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    Long ago, prior to Cele.3 in Indianapolis, we heard that the people putting on the con. were taking questions to ask George,who was appearing there for his first convention appearance. my husband and I brainstormed for a bit and came up with" Would you ever sell your franchise to somebody like,Disney?" of course, only little kids questions were accepted. when George sold it to Disney, I got very upset and depressed, I had a feeling he would regret the decision, I'm sure he did and has! he will be the only person who will deserve all those Oscars the first movie earned, I doubt the record will ever be broken-for anyone else who owns the franchise. MTFBW George!

Jesta' likes this.
  21. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I don't want another reboot, thanks(!)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    Let's not have the Trilogy remade-in Disney's image! I think I will not eagerly attend any new Star Wars-Disney movie after The Rise of Skywalker.it just won't be the same,after all these years,a couple generations worth of devotion by fans. I think Star wars as we know it and anything Disney makes is on the slow way out, it will have to live in our minds and hearts- no more new movies! Please.

23. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Yeah well, no one forces you to watch any movie that is being made. There are however plenty of fans who are very much interested in getting further Star Wars movies / stories. It was also what Lucas wanted to happen, which is why he sold his company in the first place.

24. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    But.... he had no idea that his suggestions or ideas may be disrespected. Did he? I think he wanted a "little" say in some matters. I'm of the old fans, from the beginning. The ones who want the new movies are more,a newer generation. As a dealer in Chicago said, Star Trek was losing fans until Discovery came on, now, these same fans are revitalizing the franchise by looking into the old shows and appreciating the Star Trek universe more, Maybe this will happen when this generation gets older, when Star Wars(if it makes it) turns 50 years old, greater appreciation will return to the old school films. I wish expanded universe had been thought of as possible movies, that would've taken about 30 years to do-right. BUT.... As I heard from a Lucasfilm representative at Cele.Orlando .2, on the way to the airport, George does regret his decision. but, he would not buy it back.

Red23 likes this.
  25. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    To clarify my earlier comment (I know nobody asked), if George Lucas regained Star Wars and he was clearly emotionally invested in the franchise, I would be delighted beyond belief. However, this would only be if he wanted it rather than was trying to please the fans. Otherwise, I would feel guilty for Lucas's sake that he was dedicating the fourth quarter of his life to something he only half-heartedly wanted, no matter what new content followed.

Iron_lord, Red23 and Jesta' like this.