main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Brands you have banned and the reasons why...

Discussion in 'Community' started by vin, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Chick-Fil-A, but that's an easy one since there aren't any near me.

2. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I haven't had Domino's in forever. But that's because they're a couple miles farther from me than several other local "New York style" places and the other chains. Typically I'm torn between Pizza Hut (because they usually have great deals on their app--and I'm a sucker for stuffed crust) and one of the local NY-inspired places, which is really good but more expensive than Pizza Hut.

When I lived in a different city, I used order Papa John's regularly because it was the closest pizza place (besides a fairly expensive local place, it was good but I couldn't justify that expense regularly). Plus, Papa John's usually has those 25% off promo codes.

But I haven't ordered PJ's since I moved to my new place, in the middle of dozens of pizza restaurants (locals and chains both). I don't usually patronize them not because of the aforementioned reasons (I mean, hasn't the company since distanced themselves from John and his racism?), but because they just aren't as good as the others.

I hear good things about Marco's Pizza, but haven't really given them a fair shot.

I never go to Jimmy John's, because of the game hunting nonsense. I live near one, but much prefer Firehouse or Jersey Mike's (though those have consistently gotten more expensive--so now if I want a sub, it's Wawa for me).

I don't usually do KFC either. There's a grocery store chain here, Publix, that does fried chicken so much better than the dedicated fried chicken chains. So much better than both KFC and Popeye's. And much cheaper.

Having been doing more projects, studying, and minor work in tech/programming these past couple years has cemented my personal ban against Apple. It seems to me that their products are never really the best, premium devices equivalent to dining on the blood of Gods, but just mediocre tech with a marketing powerhouse behind it to convince people that it's better than everything else. I cannot stand using their products either, but like so many of you, my employer also has a contract with Apple and we must use Apple devices.

I also avoid Walmart. I could probably claim that it's because of ethical values or whatnot, but it's largely because I cannot stand being in the presence of their stores. The sheer amount of stress I feel when being inside one just isn't worth any deals, imo.

Oh, speaking of ethics--that's largely why I avoid Apple in my personal life. I remember reading about the sweatshop labor conditions way before CNN and mainstream US news (briefly) reported about it.

heels1785 likes this.
  3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Papa John's is also terrible, sweet, disgusting "pizza".

Ezio Skywalker and heels1785 like this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    a girl i used to know generally avoided wal-mart for their reputation of wrecking small town economies and ridding them of small businesses. i've found that i've continued that stance for many years, myself. there are also many, many other companies that could be similarly categorized, i'm sure.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I haven't really banned any brands but I prefer some over others (McDonalds over BK, Windows over Apple - for example).

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  6. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I stopped liking McDonald's when I was 12. But when I was 25ish I stopped at one on a road trip mainly to use the restroom and there were stacks of hamburger buns sitting just outside the men's room. Haven't eaten at McDonald's since.

7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Any hotels, facilities, resorts, etc., with the Trump name on it.

8. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    One could make a similar argument against patronizing Amazon.

Their sauce is definitely sweeter than the others. IIRC, they also aren't as generous with their toppings as, say, Pizza Hut and Domino's.

9. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I just started to make an effort not to shop at Amazon. I doubt my one person boycott will matter much. Most people swear by it :(

10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Sorry, I am one who swears by Amazon. As someone with little time to go places to shop and less motivation yet to do so thanks to depression, being able to just get things sent to me is really helpful.

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I recognize the negative side effects of large corporations like Walmart and Amazon on the mom & pop shops. It's terrible. I've seen many downtown shops close as such. However, I'm a fan of paying cheaper prices and love the convenience of online shopping and front door delivery. So, while I'm not going to boycott Walmart, Amazon or others in the like, I do appreciate and applaud those that do in support of small business. My hat off you.

Juliet316 and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I do still support small businesses as well. But many of them post their stuff on Amazon now.

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    That's true. My wife buys things from third parties/small businesses from Amazon and wonders why the package doesn't always arrive in two days. I have to remind her that it has to be a "prime" item.

I support small business on Small Business Saturday (I think that's what it's called), the day after Black Friday.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  14. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Much like going vegan, I just don't have it in me to avoid Amazon. They make it so convenient. Target has definitely stepped up in the convenience competition though. Target delivery is free for Redcard members, usually as fast as Prime delivery, and you get those Redcard discounts and Cartwheel discounts. And if things aren't available for delivery, you can always do Drive By pick up. Between the two, it's usually a toss up. Both are super competitive, though Amazon does have a much larger catalog of goodies.

15. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    It's fairly easy for me to not use Amazon, because I am boring and responsible. A good way to stay within your budget and out of debt is to not sit at home and mindlessly click "buy". If you have to make the effort to go out and buy something you might think twice ;). I have all sorts of these strategies.

16. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I guess some people are better at restraint. I don’t need to remove something completely from my life to avoid abusing it.

Your strategy reminds me of VP Pence not having dinner business or pleasure with any woman other than his wife.

17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It has nothing to do with being responsible. I literally said I don't go shopping because of mental illness.

18. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The drive by pick up thing at Target is a huge annoyance, because whenever a customer shows up for an order, everyone’s device (well, those who have one) each make a honking sound... sometimes it can be a break room/floor full of honking sounds, because most folks have the volume on their device.

:p

19. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
  20. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    @vin Just don't eat Taco Bell because it's gross as ****.

Runjedirun and DarthIntegral like this.
  21. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  22. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Wasabröd - they might be the world's largest producer of crisp bread, but I never buy or eat them since they closed down their factory in Falun that made Falu Rågrut, but they kept the name and still produces it but now in Filipstad. Crisp bread is serious.

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    What is crisp bread?

24. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Filipstad is only 45 minutes away from where I live. A friend of mine used to work with cleaning out all the dough that gets stuck in pipes at the factory there. He's boycotting them now too, because apparently it's quite nasty.

Swedish bread; dry and hard as a rock. Also delicious.

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I've been to Sweden so I'm sure I've had it... But I can't recall.