main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Brands you have banned and the reasons why...

Discussion in 'Community' started by vin, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    This.

Regarding Chick Fil A, I understand the boycott. My gay friends are usually torn on this, as many do enjoy the food. I used to as well, before I got an airfryer. No need to go out for fries and nuggets now when you can make them at home with less calories and great taste.

But if I do want some chicken meal on the fly, I tend to prefer PDQ anyway.

2. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    • Yates - My sister got her first job serving behind the bar at the branch in Reading. During her first Saturday night shift she was sexually abused by a gang of customers. When she went to the manager, instead of giving the customers a warning, he told her that she knew what she was getting into when she joined up for the job and that she could either go back on the bar or walk away. When she decided to walk away he then told her that she wasn't going anywhere while wearing the company uniform, trying to pressure her into either leaving half naked or working the rest of the shift. Thankfully she had a coat to cover up, because she took the shirt off and went home. Ever since then I've refused to eat or drink in any of their establishments.
    • Nestle - They have a CEO who has campaigned in the US to prevent access to drinking water as being recognised as a basic human right, and here in the UK they have also campaigned to have exclusive access to the historic well of spring water in Buxton, a public heritage site and a treasured attraction by the locals. All so that they can profit further from selling bottled water.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't know what Yates is but now I hate them.

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Any company I find out is owned by Stewart and Lynda Resnick - The Wonderful Company, POM Wonderful, Fiji water.

They Enron’d California water for the sake of their pistachio tree farms, and do even worse to Fiji.

5. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    It's a chain of pubs. They're normally pretty popular with students because in the evenings they adopt more of a nightclub atmosphere and the drinks are cheap.

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Wait let me look them up... Ooooh yeah, definitely went to some of those as a student when I was in the UK.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Not avoiding Amazon. Among other reasons, I like having cat food and vitamins delivered to my door once a month via Prime subscription, I like having Whole Foods groceries (including wine as long as I’m home to sign for it) delivered to me in two hours via Prime Now, and I like the music and video streaming services.

There are a lot of morning markets around here on weekends where we can shop small businesses though, and I try to support them as much as possible.

On pizza—if I want a cheap pizza I’ll get Little Caesar’s, since their CEO paid Rosa Parks’ rent for years.

I avoid Wal-Mart just because they won’t hire enough people to run their registers and are trying to move to self-service checkout. Target is more pleasant and has better store brands.

CT-867-5309 and Runjedirun like this.
  8. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Pretty soon Amazon will own everything anyways and we'll no longer have to worry about weather or not to buy from Amazon.

Sauntaero likes this.
  9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Maybe. :p

10. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Sabra Hummus since I don't support the IDF.

I've been told this makes me an anti-Semite, by certain politicians and Fox News.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Elton.

He knows what he did.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't use Facebook stuff, though I use Chrome and GMail and Google Docs.

I don't shop at Wal-Mart, though I shop at Amazon and Target.

I don't buy Nestle, though I buy ConAgra and probably a bunch of other evil food companies.

I don't use rideshares, though that's mostly because I have my own damn environmental black hole.

I don't eat at Chik-Fil-A or however stupid way it's spelled, but I'm a vegetarian anyway and I became one around the time they started showing up around here.

I don't use the big banks, but I use MasterCard and American Express.

I don't buy Apple products.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah but they own Hot Pockets. :(

14. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Disney might beat them to that ;)

I forgot to add this brand--perhaps my most hated brand. A brand I despise with every fiber of my soul that I deliberately forget it even exists: Landry's. If you don't know of Landry's, you might have heard of the various other companies that fall under this restaurant/hospitality giant: Rainforest Cafe, Ocean Aire, Bubba Gump Shrimp, Morton's Steakhouse, Golden Nugget, Saltgrass--jesus, there are just so many.

They are a terrible company that treats their employees and customers like orcs wanting to feast on hobbit flesh. Just so many unethical and morally repugnant practices abound in this awful hell hole of depravity and moral vacancy.

15. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  16. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Apple. I can't stand their marketing and their never ending fight for being different in every point - even if it makes no sense.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Not on Facebook or Twitter - they don't really interest me. I do use Amazon (both the US and UK sites) but if the book I want is current I will check the local bookstores first for it. Both stores (Waterstones and WH Smith) can be iffy for stuff like Star Wars books though.

18. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Yes, Facebook and WhatsApp is on my list too. Greets to Mr Sugarhill.

19. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I am annoyed at Apple for their build quality which stinks lately. Their luxury status is bs, I still use them at home because it’s what I know and I am still not ready for the jump to Windows. Just saying Microsoft and other OEMs are charging almost as much for some machines. Sadly, MS also keeps gimping their Surface Studio:( yet charges Apple prices for it. Some PC makers are also pushing luxury/cool designs (Asus and HP come to mind. FWIW, I think a lot of them are cool and if I was able to get used to keyboards etc, I would have stuck with that Razer). I am not anti-PC, right now I am Windows challenged.

Back on subject: Will not support Dell, Chick A Fil, Papa Johns, Dominos, AT&T, Kardashians and other fake “celebrities”, anything Trump (that was before he became the psychotic in chief), etc.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  20. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I saw at least one person on here, so...

Simon Pegg since he attacked ALL Prequel fans.

Subway - although I still get their food, I minimise purchasing their drinks, as the staff at mine refuse to pack them in the bag along with everything else.

Amazon - I refused to renew with them, as they signed me up for Prime without me knowing, and I only found out when my card expired.
    I have just thrown in the towel after a year, as I couldn't get the dvd series I wanted, any other way.

My favourite cafe (Alexanders or something)
    Expressed too much glee in telling me I couldn't come in, when I got there too close to their "stop taking orders" time.

some high-end cake shop - I distrusted their practices or they got an order wrong, to the point that in three months, I threw away £25 worth of cakes. Just too expensive.

21. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    So I’m adding Subway to the ban list because they won’t place the drink in the bag???? But I can still go sometimes?

22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You are really just banning them resting too many drinks.

On the upside, if Simon Pegg was on your ban list, he can now come off.

SuperWatto likes this.
  23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Never ban Simon Pegg. He's great.

Chewgumma and Darth Smurf like this.
  24. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I go to Subway but I don't get drinks there - I'm usually just getting the sandwich to eat for lunch when I get home. I also like their chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  25. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    My dessert was the raspberry type of cookies. I sort of allowed them to increase me from 2 to 4 - "Fourth one? It's the same price as if you just had three."

As of literally two weeks ago, Subway as a whole, discontinued that cookie. I'm playing the long game; I don't need to diet, just wait long enough, and a retailer will discontinue my favourite treat.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019