main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Diary Challenge 2019 - Voting for 2018 Diaries Now Through 1-25

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Diary_Challenge_Sock, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Diary_Challenge_Sock Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2007
    Hi everyone, just a couple of announcements to make in the midst of new diary season! :)

1) Since we've had relatively few PM's, Pandora and I have decided to push back the due date on voting. Votes are now due on the 25th of January.

Here is the voting list. You can also find this link at the top of the first page now.

2) As noted above, voting for 2018 diaries is now live, and though it's early yet we wanted to remind everyone. As always, you do not have to have read every diary to vote and you do not have to be a diary writer to vote. You also do not have to vote in every one of the three categories.

3) In the past, we've had the rule that writers could miss three updates throughout the year as long as they make them up later. Needless to say, this can be hard to track over a whole or even half year, though we try.

For 2018 and 2019, we're going go by the rule that you can have three missed updates out of your total 12 (for half-year) or 24 (full-year) at the end of the writing period. However diaries that do not update for three turns in a row will still be disqualified from competition.

So if you miss a whole month, and then do not update within one week from the one-month anniversary of the last post, then the diary will be out of competition.

We're hoping that this works out, but will review how things went at the end of next year. You won't be penalized for missing three updates in 2018 or 2019 regardless of the decision. But keep an eye on this thread at the year's end because things might change for 2020. It really depends on how this goes. Let us know in the thread or by PM if you have questions.

- Kahara

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  2. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    It's eleven past midnight in the mountain time zone, and that means that voting is now over.

We'll have a post up with the winners soon, so keep watching this thread.

-------

It's too late to stop it once it is in your head: it's twelve past midnight! don't close your eyes!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  3. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Diary_Challenge_Sock Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2007
    2018 Diary Challenge Results

The votes are in, and--with an apology for the delay--we have some winners to announce.

--------

Full Year Diaries

First Place: Memory Logs by @Lady_Misty
    Second Place: Team guy by @earlybird-obi-wan

January-June Half Marathon

First Place: "Raising the enemy" by @AzureAngel2
    Second Place: Sibling Snark & Sweetness and Long & Winding Path by @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

July-December Half Marathon:

First Place: Shaman, Traveler, Oracle: Journal of an Exile of Lasan by @Findswoman
    Second Place: Crisis of Faith by @TheRynJedi and (Not) The Ballad of Ronen Syndulla-Jarrus (and Noemi Bridger) by @Raissa Baiard

Congratulations to the winners--and to everyone who participated in some way in last year's challenge.

4. TheRynJedi

TheRynJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 20, 2018
    I guess it shows how crazy this month has been, I completely missed voting in this
    Oh, well, the ones I would have voted for did well enough without me. Congrats everyone.

No idea if I’m going to do another one this year, this last one was kind of a fluke because I was already writing a story in a journal format and joined JCF just after the half year challenge began.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Congratulations to the winners, =D= and thanks for my wins too. @};-

6. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Congrats! Great entries all around.

7. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Wow, thank you for the votes and congratulations to the other winners! :)

Sent from my iPod touch from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

8. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh my! This is quite an honor indeed, both for me and this little story of mine. Thank you, thank you so much. @};- Congratulations too to @Lady_Misty , @earlybird-obi-wan , @AzureAngel2 , @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha , @Raissa Baiard , and @TheRynJedi on your very well-deserved wins—what a wonderful cohort of diaries we had this past year, and how fantastic to see so much writing talent recognized! And kudos to all the participants in this challenge—you are all what keeps it going. =D=

9. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  10. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    This year's diaries made for wonderful reading in a variety of different genres. I really loved getting to know the characters and worlds contained in these stories, both those drawn from canon and the OC's. Thank you to everyone who participated! =D=

Congratulations to @Lady_Misty, @earlybird-obi-wan, @AzureAngel2, @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, @Findswoman, @TheRynJedi, and @Raissa Baiard for their wins. [face_dancing] You've all given us the gift of hours of happy reading and I'm always stunned by the creativity that can be found here.

I'd also like to congratulate @Mira_Jade, @Jedi_Lover, and @RX_Sith for making it to the end and doing a fantastic job too. @};- And thanks also to those who wrote for any length of time and to those who reviewed someone else's diary; you all helped make it a great year and we hope to see you again. =D=

11. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    Congratulations to all the winners!

12. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Wow, I nearly missed that. I have rather exciting days behind me, including my birthday and a very long day at the International Green Week. (Still feeling a bit stuffed like a turkey after 7 hours at that food fair.)

Sorry that I also did not vote. I did not have it on my radar, since I was busy with so many work related and private matters since October really.

Congrats to all the winners. [face_party]@};-

And a special thanks to my dear husband @DarthUncle, healing after his kidney transplant in his mother´s new place, and to @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha for being a quick, efficient beta. And we also should not forget Orson Krennic himself who helped me immensely to embrace my darker side.

[​IMG]

13. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    There were some AMAZING diaries this year all around - I was very happy as a reader and hard pressed to pick a favourite when voting, there were so many wonderful stories who made it the entire way! =D= [face_dancing]

But a special congratulations for @Lady Misty, @earlybird-obi-wan , @AzureAngel2 , @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha , @Findswoman , @Raissa Baiard - your wins were much deserved!! [face_party]

And thank you, everyone else, who helped make this a wonderful year of diaries! It's great to see this classic challenge still going strong!! =D= [:D]

14. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Congrats to all the winners, and kudos to even those who finished!

15. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    And suddenly, it is now June 28th. How did that happen?

(I know, I know--time and tide.)

But that means that there are only four days left before July 1, the start of another month, and of the Second Half-Marathon Challenge for this year. If you have any questions, the details you seek are likely to be found in the opening post.

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  16. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Currently thinking about joining the second Half Marathon this year. Might have a few questions though.

Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  17. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    @Anedon: If you have any questions, just ask away.

(The reason I included that one bit about finding the answers to some of one's questions in the opening post is because it is oftentimes the case that we have already answered them there. But it doesn't have the answers to every possible question someone might have, so don't worry about posing questions here in the thread.)

Kahara likes this.
  18. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Okay so, the diary is to be completly written from one person not several, right?

Can there be something of a framework outside of that one character?

Kahara likes this.
  19. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    You can have more than one narrator, but you have to have the required number of entries for each one. For example, last year my half-marathon diary was written from both Ronen Syndulla-Jarrus and Noemi Brodger’s perspectives, so I had to write at least 12 entries for Ronen and 12 for Noemi. Not sure about the outside framework.

Kahara likes this.
  20. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    So my idea was kind of a horror story, with starts with a letter from a character who has aquired the diary and is now sending it sto his superiors. Then its entry by entry the diary ending with another note by the character who found it with some additional informations.

Kahara likes this.
  21. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    @Anedon: That structure sounds fine to me--and in fact, I think we have had several diaries in the past with similar set-ups. I actually started one myself several years ago that, like your idea, started with a letter from the character who had discovered the diary, and was going to end with some kind of coda. (I never did write more than that opening letter, as I decided to go with writing another diary and there was not a way I could write two of them, but I do still think the idea is sound.)

So yes, I'll bring this up with Kahara and see what she says, but I don't see there being any problems.

Kahara and Anedon like this.
  22. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Okay great, Thanks :)

Kahara likes this.
  23. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    @Anedon, it sounds fine to me! The only time we generally require a full posting schedule for each character is if the diary is pretty evenly split between them -- prefaces and comments by additional characters on the "manuscript" or what have you is fine and lots of writers here have used that kind of technique to flesh out the context for their diaries.

TheRynJedi, Findswoman and Anedon like this.
  24. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
  25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004