main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Disney] The Adventures of Milo Murphy

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Chancellor_Ewok, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    The sun started to come up during their fourth game of Skiddley Whiffers. Milo, Zack, Melissa, Amanda, Phineas and Ferb trooped downstairs to the kitchen amid a chorus of yawns, around 8:30. Milo was unsurprised to find his sister sitting at the far end of the table with Neal from the comic shop. They both looked tired but happy. Milo’s father was standing at the stove putting out a fire. Judging by the smell, Milo guessed that his father had tried cook everyone bacon and eggs and that Murphy’s Law had intervened somehow. His mother was pulling pancake flour and a mixing bowl out of a cupboard.
    “Morning, everyone,” said Milo’s father brightly, “everyone have fun last night?”
    “Yeah, Dad,” replied Milo. “We had a good time.”
    “Where’s Doof?” asked Sara, “he’s usually up bright and early for breakfast.”
    Milo suddenly remembered his encounter with Doofenshmritz in the kitchen at one AM. “Oh, I ran into him in the middle of the night making a pot of coffee.” Milo stopped talking. In spite of his tiredness, he could vividly remember the conversation that Doof had tried to have with him. He didn’t really want to talk about it in front of Phineas, Ferb and Neal. Something of his thoughts must have flickered across his face, because he distinctly saw Zack and Melissa trade a significant look. A prickling sensation in the back of his skull, like an electric current, told him to expect them to ask him about it later.
    “So, where do you and Ferb go to school?” asked Milo’s mother as she set a plate loaded with a stack of pancakes in front of Phineas.
    “We go to the Danville Academy for Gifted Children,” answered Ferb as Phineas slathered maple syrup on his pancakes.
    For a second, Milo was slightly startled. Ferb had barely said two words all night. Next to him, Phineas momentarily stopped attacking his breakfast and shot his stepbrother a sly look, “slow down chatterbox,” he said with a grin.
    Ferb continued as if Phineas hadn’t spoken. “The Danville Academy for Gifted Children is a school for children of unusual intelligence.”
    “Oh,” said Milo’s father, “so what subjects do you study?” he asked.
    As if in answer Phineas reached into the pocket of his cargo shorts and pulled out a sleek black cube about the size of a large rubiks cube. He placed it on the table in front of him.
    “Our studies are largely self-directed,” Ferb continued. He gestured to the device sitting in front of Phineas. “This is a holographic projector that we designed for our computer science class.”
    Phineas pushed a button on the device and several lights glowed blue and red on its face“Would you like to see a digital model of our quantum physics project?” he asked.
    Milo saw Zack, Melissa and Amanda trade astonished looks and then realized from the way they were looking at him that he was wearing the exact same expression. “Uhhhh……OK,” he said a little weakly.
    Phineas nodded and pulled out his phone. He tapped open an app and swiped through several menus, then tapped something on his screen. A grid of thin blue lines was laid over the kitchen. Phineas tapped something else and the kitchen was replaced by a room with completely blank white walls.
    Milo had to resist the urge pinch himself. He was still sitting at his own table with his half eaten stack of pancakes in front of him, but the rest of the house seemed to have disappeared. He opened his mouth to speak, but Zack beat him to the question.
    “Uhhhhh, Phineas, where are we?”
    “This is a digital clean room, Zack,” answered Phineas.
    “So, what do you need a clean room for?” asked Melissa.
    Phineas tapped and swiped on his phone again. The breakfast table disappeared and was replaced by a platform bearing a pair of upright carbon fibre panels.
    Milo looked at the holographic image hovering in front of him, then he looked at Phineas as Ferb rolled his eyes and said, “now you’re just showing off.”
    “So, what is this?” asked Milo gesturing to the hologram.
    “This is a model of an Einstein-Rosen Bridge,” answered Phineas.
    “And an Einstein-Rosenbridge would be-“ asked Zack, slightly confused.
    “More commonly referred to as a wormhole,” put in Ferb.
    “So, you designed an interactive model of a wormhole generator as a school science project,” said Melissa, clearly impressed. “Cool.”
    At that moment, the house, the kitchen, the table and Milo’s half eaten breakfast snapped back into existence courtesy of Murphy’s Law.
    Phineas laughed. “No, Melissa,” he said. “We built our digital model to test our theories before actually building a wormhole generator.”
    “Uhhhhh......aren’t you two a little young for a high energy quantum physics project?” asked Sara.
    “Yes. Yes we are,” said Phineas.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  2. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Episode Seven

As soon as the front door shut behind Phineas, Ferb and Neal, Amanda asked, “Milo, how do you know those two?”
    Milo, Zack and Melissa took turns telling Amanda about the Pistachion incident, which Milo realized, was a story none of them had ever told anyone before.
    “I think they do this sort of thing all the time,” said Milo.
    Melissa nodded. “Yeah, they knocked out the Murphy’s Law suit in no time flat.”
    “From the way Phineas talked last night,” said Zack, “you’d think a particle accelerator in the backyard was completely normal.”
    Milo shrugged. “Maybe, for Phineas and Ferb, it is.”
    “But how do they-“ began Amanda, when her phone buzzed. She had been about ask, “how do they afford all that stuff?” She pulled out her phone and began tapping and swiping through her schedule. “I’m sorry, Milo,” she said. “That was my Mom. She will be here to pick me up in five minutes.”
    “Oh, uh….OK,” said Milo. “I guess I’ll see you later then.”
    Amanda gave Milo a kiss on the cheek. “See you at school,” she said. Then she went out Milo’s front door.
    Milo flushed.

After Amanda left, Milo, Zack and Melissa trooped back up stairs to Milo’s bedroom, where they spent the rest of the morning cleaning up the mess the six of them had made during the night. It was only when they were almost finished, that Melissa asked, “so what was Doof doing in your kitchen last night?”
    “Making a pot of coffee,” replied Milo simply. Milo had expected this. For a second he wondered how much to tell them, or if he should even tell them anything at all. Then he pushed the idea away. Zack and Melissa were his closest friends.They deserved his honesty.
    “And that’s all?” asked Zack. “He was just making coffee?”
    “Well, yes, but-“ Milo’s voice trailed off.
    “But what?” asked Zack.
    Milo took a breath and slowly exhaled. “He talked to me, or at least he tried to.”
    “About what?”asked Melissa. She looked as if she already knew the answer.
    Milo felt the prickling sensation in the back of his skull again and he absentmindedly rubbed the rubbed the back of his scalp, as if to make it go away. “He tried ask me about Murphy’s Law,” Milo said at last.
    Zack and Melissa traded a look. Most of the people who knew Milo had heard the stories about the situations that Milo had gotten into and out of, moreover, they had often heard the stories of Milo’s misadventures directly from the hapless teenager himself. It was only natural that Milo’s friends would speculate about how Milo managed to navigate the unmitigated chaos that frequently beset him. As far as Zack and Melissa knew, no one ever openly asked Milo this question before.
    “So….what did he want to know?” asked Melissa.
    “Well,” amended Milo, “he didn’t ask me about Murphy’s Law or negative probability or anything like that.”
    Zack and Melissa traded another look. They were totally lost. They had both assumed that Doofenshmirtz, in his usual completely tactless way, had tried to ask Milo about his negative probability field for some reason related to his time travel research, as that was practically the only thing he thought about these days. Apparently that assumption was wrong and whatever conversation he had tried to have with Milo, had left Milo completely blindsided, which Melissa had to consider something of an achievement in an of itself, as Milo was usually very, very good at reading his surroundings.
    “So….what did he try to ask you?” asked Melissa a second time. Whatever question Doof had tactless tried to ask Milo, Melissa was quickly getting the impression that Milo had considered it a personal question and would have preferred to not to answer.
    “He tried to ask me how I live a normal life,” replied Milo at long last.
    “But you-“ Zack started to say. He had started to say, “but you don’t,” but had stopped. One of things that Zack had always admired most about Milo was his ability to put everyone before himself, especially when it came to shielding his friends from Murphy’s Law. Zack didn’t want to seem insensitive and hurt Milo’s feelings, when Milo clearly seemed to be vulnerable.
    Melissa, however, perhaps, as Milo’s oldest friend didn’t seem to be as concerned about unintentionalLy hurting Milo’s feelings. “Well, you don’t live a normal life,” she said. “You’re a Murphy.”
    “Yeah,” Zack nodded. “Maybe there are some things that just can’t be easily explained.”

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    “It’s time for danger, time for action, time for Dr. Zone!” Milo woke unexpectedly to the sound of his phone ringing early one morning a few weeks later. Blearily, he opened one eye, looking around for his ringing phone. “Chronological time is an abstraction, when you’re with Dr. Zone!” Milo groggily opened the other eye and looked at the alarm clock on the shelf next to his bed. It was broken. “He has one foot in the future and one foot in the past-“ Milo suddenly remembered that he had left his phone on his desk to recharge the night before. He pushed back the covers and climbed out of bed. He climbed down the ladder at the foot of the bed and straightened up. Milo clicked on his desk light and momentarily squinted in the sudden brightness. He picked up his phone and looked at the screen. Phineas Flynn-555-3141. Why would Phineas be calling him at, he checked the time, 6:30 in the morning? He tapped his screen, which cracked. “Phineas?” he asked trying to stifle a yawn, “what’s going? It’s 6:30. On the first day of summer vacation. What are you calling me for?”
    “Hi, Milo,” said the chipper voice on the other hand end. “Yeah, I know” said Phineas excitedly, “gotta make every minute count, anyway come by my house later today. I’ve got something to show you.” He hung up.
    No sooner had Phineas hung up than, Milo’s phone rang again. “Now what,” muttered Milo. He tapped his screen again. “Phineas-“ he began.
    Zack’s voice cut him off. “Hi, Milo,” he said, “did you just get a call from Phineas?”
    “Hi Zack,” replied Milo, “Yeah, I did.”
    “It’s the first day of summer action,” said Zack. “Does he not sleep or something?”
    “What did he want?” asked Milo.
    “To drop by his house,” answered Zack. “He said he wanted to show me something. You?”
    “He said the same thing to me too,” said Milo. As he spoke his phone pinged twice. Melissa and Amanda were trying to text him.
    “So, are you going to go over to his house?” asked Zack.
    Milo hesitated. “I don’t know,” he said, “I mean me and high energy physics…..” Milo let his voice trail off. He remembered the light show that Phineas had put on with his little tech toy. He could imagine the kinds of thing Phineas might want to show him.
    Zack seemed to sense Milo’s hesitation. “C’mon, Milo, you’ve been abducted by aliens-“
    “Twice,” Milo interjected, his voice edged with dry sarcasm.
    “-how dangerous can this be?”
    Milo decided that Zack had a point. Whatever Phineas and Ferb had cooked up couldn’t be worse than being asked to single handily save an alien planet. “I’ll see you there,” he said, and hung up. After Milo hung up, he pulled open a drawer in his desk and took out a new phone. He unwrapped it, took it out of the box and laid it in his desk. He quickly disassembled his old phone, took out the SIM card and slotted into his new one, which he left on his desk to charge. He got up and walked down the hall to the bathroom with the usual clatter in his wake to shower and brush his teeth before going downstairs for breakfast.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    After a quick breakfast, Milo walked out to the garage and took his bike down from the bike rack on the wally. He walked out to the driveway which was bathed in bright morning sunshine, hopped on his bike and peddled off in the direction of Phineas’ neighbourhood. The ride from Milo’s house to Phineas’ only took 20 minutes. Milo was only forced to detour by Murphy’s Law three times. Just a block from the end of his own street, Milo was forced to detour around a cement truck that had taken a corner too fast and overturned. Three blocks later, the ground collapsed beneath him and Milo ended up in the sewer, however, Milo had an excellent knowledge of the Danville sewer system and he was able to extricate himself with little difficulty. As he emerged from a storm drain, Milo dodged around a spilled load of structural steel. As he turned on to Phineas’ street, he was joined by Zack, Melissa and Amanda. He gave them a friendly wave.
    As the four of them turned onto Phineas’ street, they approached a large, rambling two storey house. The four of them dropped their bikes in the driveway and walked up to the front door. Milo rang the doorbell and a second later a tall man with half moon glasses opened the door. “Well, hello,” said Lawrence Fletcher brightly. Lawrence was Ferb’s father and Candace and Phineas’ stepfather. “Come in.You must be friends of Phineas and Ferb, they’re in the backyard.” They followed him through the house to the backyard. From somewhere upstairs, they heard a teenage girl say, “those two little brainiacs! They’ve built a clean room in the backyard! And a particle accelerator! They are so busted!”
    Zack leaned over and whispered in Milo’s ear. “What do they need a clean room and a particle accelerator for?”
    Milo shrugged. “I have no idea,” he said.
    Milo, Zack, Melissa and Amanda followed Mr. Fletcher into the large backyard. In the middle of the yard stood a tall, leafy tree. At one end a large white cube, like some kind of minimalist sculpture, stood as high as the second storey. Heavy power cables snakes across the yard to what appeared to be a large magnetic coil.
    “Boys,” called Mr. Fletcher, “your friends have arrived.”
    At this, Phineas pushed up a welding mask with a gloved hand. He spotted Milo at once and his face split into a big grin. “Hi, Milo.” Phineas shut off the blowtorch and dropped it into the grass.
    Milo walked across the yard to where Phineas was standing. The nine year old genius was clearly in his element. He looked like a kid on Christmas morning surrounded by a huge pile of presents. Ferb finished welding shut a panel on top of the magnetic coil, which was twenty feet in diameter, and climbed down to join his stepbrother and Milo. “Hi, guys.” Milo cast his gaze around the yard, which was littered with tools, spare parts and empty packing crates. “So, what is all this?”
    Phineas rubbed his hands with excited glee. “C’mon, I’ll show you.” Milo, Zack, Melissa and Amanda followed him from one end of the yard to the other, eventually stopping in front of the two storey clean room. Phineas opened a storage locker and began passing out white smocks. “You’ll need to put these on,” he said.
    As Milo shrugged off his backpack and pulled on the smock that Phineas had handed him, he thought he caught a slight look of apprehension on Zack’s face. Milo hadn’t seen that look in awhile and suddenly remembered that Zack was claustroavoidant. “Are you going to be OK?” he asked.
    Zack took a deep steadying breath. “Yeah, I’ll be fine,” he said. He sounded as if he was trying to reassure himself as much as Milo.
    “I’ve got a spare Kevlar vest in my backpack if you want to borrow it,” offered Milo.
    “Wait, why did you pack a second Kevlar vest?” asked Zack.
    Milo shrugged and shouldered his backpack. “In case of Murphy’s Law.” Milo finished zipping up his smock and prepared to go inside.

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Episode 8

Milo and Zack followed the others through the outer door, which closed behind them. They felt a blast of slightly cool air and the inner door opened. They stepped through the inner door, which closed behind them. The overhead lights made everything seem overly bright and Milo squinted against the glare. In the centre of the room, surrounded by thick cables and computers, stood a pair of black carbon fibre panels on a raised platform. Milo immediately recognized what he was seeing. It was the wormhole generator that he had shown them on the morning after Milo’s sleepover a few weeks ago. He sidled over to where Phineas.
    Melissa must have read the look on Milo’s face, because she was suddenly at his side. “Ummm…..Phineas,” said Milo and Melissa in unison.
    Phineas looked up from his computer. His eyes were alight. “So what do you think?” he asked excitedly.
    “Phineas, is this what I think it is?” asked Milo.
    Phineas nodded. “This was our final project for our quantum physics class.” He turned to Baljeet. “How are the ion emissions looking.”
    Baljeet typed a command into his computer. “Ion emissions are stable.”
    “Phineas, do you understand how dangerous it is to bring Milo here?” asked Melissa
    Phineas looked a little confused. It was not a look that he was accustomed to wearing, “I don’t understand,” he said at last.
    “Murphy’s Law is completely unpredictable,” said Milo. “Anything that can go wrong around me, will go wrong.”
    Phineas turned to Ferb. “Ferb, how is the muon output.”
    Ferb gave Phineas a thumbs up. He turned back to face Milo and Melissa. He looked slightly annoyed, as if he was unused to having his judgement questioned. “The machine is perfectly safe,” he said. “We have run hundreds of simulations,” he said. “We have detected no serious flaws in the machine, even accounting for the possibility of Murphy’s Law.”
    Milo blinked. “You did?” He suddenly felt slightly embarrassed.
    Phineas nodded. “Of course we did, well actually it was mostly Baljeet. This sort of thing is really more his area than mine.”
    Milo felt his face flush. “Oh, I’m sorry Phineas,” said Milo. “I didn’t mean to-“
    Phineas waved a dismissive hand. “It’s OK, Milo,” he said, “I should have explained myself more fully.” His computer chimed and he pulled up a data feed onto his screen. “Isabella,” he said, “how are the antiproton levels?”
    “Antiprotons are stable, Phineas,”called out Isabella.
    In anticipation of some unasked question, Ferb gave Phineas another thumbs up.
    Phineas nodded and entered a string of commands into his computer. “Looks like we’re ready,” he said.
    “Ready for what?” asked Zack.
    As if in answer klaxons blared loudly and the overhead lights flicked from fluorescent white to blue and a electric blue haze seemed to descend over everything.
    “Phineas, what is happening?” asked Melissa, with an edge of alarm in her voice.
    “We’re getting ready to open the wormhole,” replied Phineas.
    “Uhhhhhh……are we sure this is a good idea?” asked Zack nervously.
    “With Milo around?” asked Melissa, “are you kidding me?”
    As she spoke, Milo felt the hair on the back of neck stand up. In spite of Phineas’ assurances, a small part of him couldn’t help but agree with Melissa. He felt like he should leave, and yet he was rooted to the spot. As he watched Phineas, Ferb, Baljeet and Isabella calling out various readings, it was as if he was hearing them from a great distance, even though Phineas was standing right next to him. He suddenly felt a hand on his shoulder. Milo turned and saw Amanda standing next to him.
    “What’s happening, Milo?” she asked. “Is everything all right?”
    Milo was silent for a second or two and he wondered what to tell her. Finally he said, “well, I think Phineas and Ferb are trying to open a wormhole and-“
    “Around you?” interjected Amanda, “around Murphy’s Law? Is that safe?”
    “Well, Phineas thinks he can account for Murphy’s Law,” replied Milo.And yet a small voice in the back of his head said, Zack and Amanda could all see it, why can’t Phineas?
    Again, Amanda interrupted Milo’s thoughts. “I didn’t think it was possible to account for Murphy’s Law.”
    “That’s because it’s not,”replied Melissa. “Milo, this is a bad idea. We should leave.” She tried to pull on his arm. Milo didn’t move. She traded an alarmed look with Zack. This was totally out of character for Milo. She cast a glance at the wormhole generator. A pair of curved panels had risen up from under platform and were spinning rapidly. Tendrils of energy were writhing between between the carbon fibre panels. She cast another worried look at Milo, which Milo returned. “That does it,” she said. “Phineas,” she had to shout the be heard above the blaring alarms, “turn it off.” Melissa had a sudden feeling of disquiet. Milo was normally as a unflappable as a rock in the middle of the utter chaos that was his usual day to day existence. When Milo looked worried, thought Melissa, it was time to pay attention.
    “Milo,” asked Zack, reading the look on Melissa’s face, “what’s wrong?”
    “I don’t know,” said Milo, “but something feels very wrong.”
    “Murphy’s Law?” asked Melissa.
    Before Milo could answer, Baljeet piped up. “Phineas, we have a problem.”
    “What is it?” asked Phineas.
    “My sensors are registering a quantum anomaly,” said Baljeet.
    “That’s not possible,” said Phineas in alarm. “Where is it coming from?”
    Baljeet’s hands flew over his keyboard. “It is coming from Milo,” he said.
    “But how-“ began Melissa.
    “I do not know,” replied Baljeet, cutting her off. “I can only assume that this is the result of Murphy’s Law.”
    “Baljeet, turn it off,” said Zack.
    Baljeet began to input a string of commands into his computer, but before he could finish, several crackling tendrils of energy arced out across the room. Milo was suddenly lit in a ghostly blue white glow. He felt the hair on his arms stand up and he felt as though ants were crawling around under his skin. “I am trying but-“
    Milo suddenly felt Melissa take his hand. She was a afraid, he realized, and there wasn’t anything he could say to her that would make any of it better. “Milo,” she said, her voice was trembling, “we’re not leaving you.”
    No sooner had Melissa spoke than a pencil thin beam of green light shot down from the ceiling, where it contacted the spinning panels. It bent at a perfect right angle and shot across the room where it struck Milo square in the chest. There was a blinding flash of light which caused Phineas, Ferb, Isabella and Baljeet to throw their hands in front of their eyes. When it faded, Milo, Melissa, Zack and Amanda were gone.

6. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    What a wide range of knowledge he has.

Good buildup to the mystery upcoming. At least Milo isn't alone.

7. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Well, he has too since he ends up down there a lot. This sort of situation is precisely why he places such value on the few friendships that he has, since Murphy’s Law tends to make it hard for people to want get close to him, even though Milo is a pretty likeable person.I actually saw a piece of fan art yesterday that suggested that Milo has had to build up layers of psychological and emotional armour in order to protect his mental health from Murphy’s Law, which means I’ve created a bit of a problem, as Milo wants to like Phineas, but after this its probably going to be hard for Milo to trust him and I had the idea that Milo and Phineas eventually have a long term friendship.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  8. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Milo felt himself being pitched forward into darkness. For a brief moment he was weightless, then the breath was driven forcibly from his lungs as he hit the ground very hard. He estimated that he had fallen about ten or twelve feet. Before he could move several heavy objects were driven forcibly into him and he heard a succession of grunts. After a moment or two, when he was sure nothing else was going to fall on him, his addled brain told him that Melissa, Zack and Amanda had fallen on him. Milo groaned.
    “Milo?” said a worried and excited voice. It was Melissa. “Are you OK?” She sounded relieved.
    “No,” he said, wincing. “You all fell on me.” He suddenly felt a fiery pain in his chest and he thought he might have cracked a rib. He felt the others roll off of him and the only weight on his back was his backpack, which was pressing awkwardly against his shoulder blades. Slowly, Milo pushed himself up until he was on all fours, then trying to ignore his cracked rib, which throbbed with every breath, he sat back on his backside and shrugged off his backpack. “Zack, check my backpack,” said Milo. “I packed night vision goggles and bandages.”
    Wondering to himself, and not for the first time, just how Milo knew to pack exactly what he needed for the situation that he found himself in, Zack blindly felt through Milo’s backpack until he found four pairs of night vision goggles and several rolls of tensor bandages. He put one pair on and flicked the switch on the side. Everyone thing was suddenly painted vivid electronic green. “Whoa,” said Zack.
    “What do you see?” asked Amanda. Zack was suddenly a pair of glowing green orbs in the darkness.
    “It looks like Phineas’s wormhole generator,” said Zack.
    “What,” said Melissa sharply. “Zack do you have any more of those goggles?” she asked.
    “Huh-oh yeah.” He had momentarily forgotten the three other pairs of night vision goggles still in his hand. He quickly passed them out.
    Melissa pulled on her goggles and everything was suddenly bathed in ghostly green light. She could see Milo and knew at once by the way he was holding himself that he was in pain. “Where does it hurt?”she asked without preamble.
    “I think I cracked a rib,” replied Milo.
    Melissa nodded and began to help Milo take off his clothes. He needed no help shrugging off his clean room smock, but winced a little every time he had to lean forward to allow her pull his sweater vest and golf shirt over his head. She waited while he undid the Velcro straps of his body armour and started to slid it off. She took it from him and packed it in his backpack. The bandages would make wearing it too uncomfortable. Finally, Melissa helped Milo pull off his undershirt. Stripped to the waist, Melissa examined Milo’s chest. A large bruise was spreading across the right side of his chest, from his sternum almost to Milo’s armpit. “That looks bad,” she said.
    Milo tried to give her a characteristic causal shrug, but stopped. It hurt too much. “Its not that bad,” he said.
    Melissa took one of the rolls of tensor bandages and unrolled it. “Stop trying to make me feel better,” she said. Starting under Milo’s armpits, she pulled the bandage taught and began to wrap it around his chest.
    “How about you, Melissa?”asked Milo as she worked on him. “Are you OK?”
    She paused for a second. She didn’t know how to answer him. She wanted to tell him that she was fine, but she also knew that he would see through that. She had a sudden image of Milo floating in space without a space suit. She forcibly pushed the image away. She took a deep, steadying breath and resumed bandaging Milo’s ribs. “It’s just that-I-well, first Octalia, and now,” she gestured with her free hand, “whatever this is. I have no idea if I’m OK or not.”
    She had finished wrapping up Milo’s ribcage while they had been talking. She had suspected that he has downplayed the extent to which he had been injured at least a little, so she wouldn’t worry about him. As a result she had wrapped his entire upper body from his armpits to his diaphragm. Melissa handed Milo back his undershirt and he stiffly began to dress himself.
    Slowly Milo got to his feet. He could hear Zack and Amanda walking around and talking quietly. Evidently they had slipped away to give Milo and Melissa some privacy while she patched him up. He tried to straighten up and swooned slightly.Melissa took Milo by the upper arm to steady him. “I’m OK,” he said. “I think I may have a minor concussion, though.”
    “Maybe you should sit down,” suggested Melissa.
    Milo shook his head. “I’ll be fine, Melissa.”
    “Are you sure, Milo?” asked Melissa, “I mean after, well-“
    “Melissa?” asked Milo.
    “Yeah, Milo?”
    “Thanks.”

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    They pushed open the outer door and stepped into what appeared to be an ordinary corridor. It was brightly lit and painted hospital beige. Doors marched away down either side of the corridor, leading to various labs and workshops. The four of them looked around at each other, aside from the strange sign that Milo and Zack had found, everything looked normal. They turned right and started walking down the corridor, passing various closed doors as they went. They had gone about half way down the corridor when they heard they heard a door open, along with a voice, the sound of foot steps and a clopping sound like horseshoes.
    “Manny, can you take this box of parts to Dr. Gearloose.”
    Clop, clop, clop.
    “Oh, and when you’re done with that I need you take the sample of Fentonium and put it back in the vault. And be careful with it, it’s still not fully stabilized.”
    Clop-clop, clop, clop.
    Milo, Zack, Melissa and Amanda turned at as one at the sounds behind them in the corridor and saw one of the most bizarre sights any of them had ever seen. Coming down the corridor were what appeared to a horse walking on its hind legs. It had the head of what Milo could swear was the stone bust of a duck with spectacles. Its stone top hat almost brushed the ceiling. Next to it was a duck, but again something was wrong. It was as tall as Milo, and had brownish grey plumage. It was wearing a cream coloured button down shirt and a pale lavender tie.
    “Uhhh…..Milo?” said Melissa, in bewilderment.
    “Yeah, Melissa?” The tone in Milo’s voice said that he was as bewildered as she was.
    “Milo, where the hell are we?” asked Zack.
    Milo didn’t know what to say. He had thought that sentient plant monsters and shape shifting aliens had been weird. Until now.
    “What should we do?” asked Amanda. “Maybe they can tell us where we are.”
    For the first time in thirteen years of dealing with all the insanity that Murphy’s Law had thrown at him, Milo was uncertain of what to do. The two figures were still coming toward them. The brownish grey duck was still giving instructions to the horse, who was listening intently. Milo had almost made up his mind that he would go and talk to the duck, since it seemed to speak English, when the horse suddenly stopped walking. It gestured with one hoof and stamped rapidly on the ground with one of its hind legs. The duck stopped in its tracks and looked down the corridor toward where Milo, Zack, Melissa and Amanda were standing. It turned toward the wall and pressed a button. Milo had noticed several of them spaced at regular intervals on both walls. He had initially thought that they were fire alarms, but now realized that they must be some kind of security system.
    “Uh-oh,” said Zack.
    “Uhhh, yeah,” said Milo in agreement.
    “Anyone get the feeling that we’re not supposed to be here,” asked Melissa.
    Milo’s initial instinct was to run, but he didn’t think that his cracked rib would let him get very far. Instead he said, “hide!” The four of them immediately began trying doors, but they were all locked. From somewhere ahead of them, they heard the ding of an elevator door opening and the staccato tramp of heavy footsteps. A dozen large, burly security guards in grey uniforms appeared from around a corner at the opposite end of the corridor.
    A little Murphy’s Law would be nice about now, thought Milo, but nothing happened. The sound of pounding footsteps was getting closer and Milo heard shouting voices. The duck and the bipedal horse caught up to Milo, Zack, Melissa and Amanda just before the security guards did.
    “Don’t take another step,” it said.
    Milo, Zack, Melissa and Amanda all came to a stop. Zack turned to face the brownish grey duck. Its eyes were level were with his. “What are you?” asked Zack. “And where are we?”
    Milo felt a pair of hands close over his upper arms. The duck was examining them closely. “Something’s wrong here,” it said. “How did you get in here?” it asked.
    For a second Milo considered not answering, but another more rational part of his brain told him that if they were going find out where they were and go home, it was probably better to cooperate. “That’s kind of a long story,” he said slowly.
    The duck looked closely at Milo. “The Money Bin has the best security system that money can buy and Scrooge McDuck has a lot of money,” it said. “You four got in here without tripping the system. Mr.McDuck will want to know how you did that.”

10. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Milo, Zack, Melissa and Amanda were taken by the security guards to a holding area two floors up from where they had been found. They were accompanied by the brownish grey duck, who the guards addressed as Fenton. They were met there by what Milo took to be a very thin chicken in a pork pie hat, glasses and a green button down shirt. His name evidently, was Dr. Gearloose.
    “Are these the four you found in my lab?” he asked Fenton.
    Fenton nodded. “We found them in the corridor outside the clean room,” he said. “We don’t know how they got in there in the first place, but they took apart the biometric door scanners inside in order to get out.”
    Gyro was silent for a second or two, processing this information. Something about this didn’t make sense. “I’m going to check on the machine,” said Gyro after after a minute or two of contemplation, “make sure they haven’t tampered with anything.”
    “Should we alert Mr.McDuck?” asked Fenton. “He’ll want to know that Bin security has been breached.”
    Gyro waved a dismissive hand, “tell him if you want, but he probably already knows.”
    Fenton’s phone pinged. He pulled it out and looked at the screen. “It’s from Mr. McDuck,” he said. “He wants them brought up stairs for when he arrives.”
    “I trust I can leave that minimally difficult task in your hands?” asked Gyro.
    Fenton nodded.
    “Good,” said Gyro. “When you’re done, I want you back down in the lab.”
    Fenton nodded again, and Gyro walked off.

Twenty minutes later, Milo, Zack, Melissa and Amanda were brought up to a large conference room. The oak panelled walls were hung with expensive looking oil paintings and a large area rug with a gold dollar sign woven into it covered most of the floor. At the focal point of the room, was a large mahogany conference table surrounded by heavy chairs. Milo’s backpack sat in the middle. Its contents, which included two complete changes of clothes, including shoes, socks and underwear, a pair of rubber boots, an umbrella, four pairs of night vision goggles, two flashlights, extra batteries, a first aid kit, an assortment of tools, a deflated rubber raft, his body armour, and a couple of battered looking Dr. Zone novels, were neatly arrayed on the table.
    Milo rounded on Fenton. “You went through my backpack!” he said angrily. “You didn’t have the right to do that.” Milo suddenly felt a little bit violated.
    “And you broke into my Money Bin,” said a voice from behind him. “You certainly had no right to do that.”
    Milo turned and immediately recognized the head of the bizarre bipedal horse he had seen earlier. The figure walking into the room was a little shorter than Fenton, but his prescience seemed to fill the room. He wore a black silk top hat with a red hat band, a matching red and black frock coat and spats. A tiny pair of spectacles were perched on his bill. The end of a black cane clicked on the polished granite floor. Some of his feathers stuck out in a way that reminded Milo of old fashioned mutton chops. He spoke in a noticeable Scottish accent . He gestured to the conference table. “Why don’t you sit down and tell me who you are and how in the name of Dismal Downs you broke into my Money Bin.”

11. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Episode Ten

The duck in the frock coat and spats walked to what Milo presumed to be his usual seat at the end of the conference table and sat down. He waited patiently while Milo, Zack, Melissa and Amanda sat down next to him.
    “My name is Scrooge McDuck,” he said, “and just how did you get in here without tripping the security system.”
    Milo took a deep breath, wondering just how believable this duck would find his story.“My name is Milo Murphy,” he began. Milo gestured to his friends. “These are my friends, Zack Underwood, Melissa Chase and Amanda Lopez.” Milo took another deep breath before carrying on. “Our being here is an accident,” he said.
    “Is it now?” asked Scrooge, sceptically, “You brought a backpack full of tools, and you took apart two of the biometrics scanners in Dr. Gearloose’ clean room. How did you get in there and what were you trying to do?”
    “I pack my backpack every day,” said Milo.
    “With four pairs of night vision goggles and pliers?” asked Scrooge, a little incredulously,“And a grappling hook?”
    Milo shrugged. “I use the contents of my backpack to help me manage Murphy’s Law.”
    Scrooge looked confused. “You’re having me on,” he said. “Murphy’s law is just an old proverb. Anything that can go wrong-“
    “-will go wrong,” finished Milo. “For most people, Murphy’s Law really is just an old proverb.”
    Scrooge looked appraisingly at Milo. “But, not for you, I take it?”
    Milo nodded. “No,” he said. “I’m different.”
    “How?” asked Scrooge.
    “Murphy’s Law is an inherited trait in my family,” explained Milo. “Every Murphy man for the last seven generations has been born with Murphy’s Law.”
    “You were born with Murphy’s Law?” Scrooge looked at incredulously at Milo again.”But how is that even possible?” he asked. He studied Milo carefully. It was an absurd story, and yet from the way Milo spoke and the way he carried himself, Scrooge couldn’t shake the feeling that his story had the ring of truth.
    “I don’t know,”replied Milo, “I can tell you how it works, though.”
    “And how does it work?” asked Scrooge.
    “My body creates a field of negative probability,” explained Milo.”Any energy fields in my immediate vicinity are automatically skewed toward negative out comes.” No sooner had Milo finished speaking than he heard the sound of a chain snapping overhead. He looked up and saw a large chandelier descending rapidly toward the middle of the table. He whipped out a hand and grabbed his backpack, pulling it toward himself, ignoring the protest of his cracked rib. A split second later, the heavy chandelier hit the table with the sound of splintering wood and metal. The table cracked under the force of the impact, sending Milo’s clothes and tools flying everywhere.
    “Was that-“ he began.
    “Yeah, that was Murphy’s Law in action,” said Milo.
    Scrooge looked at Milo as if he were only just seeing him for the first time. “You’ve lived your whole life like this?” he asked, slightly amazed.
    Milo nodded. “It’s not always easy,” he said, “but I’ve got the three best friends in the world to look out for me.” Out of the corner of his eye, Milo thought he caught Zack, Melissa and Amanda all looking at each other. They all valued their friendship with Milo for his optimism and his almost endless willingness to put others before himself as well as his sheer persistence in the face of the often daily challenges that Murphy’s Law threw at him, but they clearly had had no idea just how deeply Milo valued his relationship with them.
    Scrooge sat back in his chair, studying the hapless teenager and his three friends, who he evidently though the world of.“There’s still the matter of how you got into the Money Bin,” he said at last.
    “I told you, Mr.McDuck,”said Milo, “our being here is the result of an accident.”
    Scrooge involuntarily blinked at the sound of Milo addressing him by name. Evidently they established a repor. ”What kind of accident?” he asked.
    “It was an accident involving Murphy’s Law and an unstable wormhole,” said Milo. He quickly explained how Phineas had built an Einstein-Rosen Bridge in his backyard and that when he had tried to turn it on, Murphy’s Law had hit immediately and everything that could go wrong, had.
    Scrooge was silent for a long time, wondering what to do. He would defer to Gyro and Fenton for the details, but his sense was that Milo and his friends had been very, very lucky. “I don’t exactly know how to help you yet,” he said at last, “but I would like help you if I can.” He picked up the phone next to his chair and made a call. “Launchpad, bring the car around, I’m sending some guests up to McDuck Manor.” He put the phone down for a second, then picked it up again. “Mrs. Beakley, please have four rooms made up, we’re having guests.”

12. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    The drive from the Money Bin through downtown Duckburg up to the gates of McDuck Manor took twenty five minutes. The limousine snaked its way up the winding road to the sprawling compound at the summit of Bear Mountain, stopping only long enough for the elaborate wrought iron gates bearing the legend MD, to swing open. The limousine wound its way up the long tree line drive, circling around a large circular drive dominated by a huge gold dollar sign. The limousine stopped in front the large oak double front doors. The driver, a tall, barrel chested duck in a battered flight jacket, a baseball hat and boots named Launchpad, shut off the engine and got out. He walked around the rear passenger side door and opened. “Well, here we are at McDuck Manor,” he said, as Milo, Zack, Melissa and Amanda clambered out. Milo moved slowly, favouring his right side and his cracked rib.
    McDuck Manor had the air of a baronial castle from the Scottish Highlands. Turreted windows stared down at Milo from all sides. He hefted his backpack and walked up the steps to the heavy double doors. He pushed them open and went inside, followed by Zack, Melissa, Amanda and Launchpad. They were standing in a large entrance hall lined with suits of armour and old paintings. A heavy set duck in a purple blouse, glasses and an apron was waiting for them at the bottom of an elaborate staircase. The room was lit by shafts of sunlight streaming in through large lead line windows.
    As the door banged shut behind them, she walked across the entrance hall toward where Milo, Zack, Melissa and Amanda stood looking around. “Welcome to McDuck Manor,” she said. “My name is Mrs. Beakley.” She spoke in a slightly bored voice. “I am Mr. McDuck’s maid, cook, housekeeper and secretary. If you need anything, please ask me.” She cast a practiced eye over Milo. “If you like, I will prepare an ice pack for your chest.”
    Milo looked slightly startled. At no point had it occurred to him to mention that he had cracked a rib. He wondered how she had been able to tell. “Uhhhh….thanks,” he said. “I’d appreciate that.”
    Mrs. Beakley nodded. “If you will all follow me, I will show to your rooms.” Without another word she proceeded up the staircase. Milo, Zack, Melissa and Amanda followed along behind her, trying to take in everything as they went. Mrs.Beakley eventually stopped half way down a corridor on the fourth floor. “These are your rooms,” she said gesturing to four doors marching away down the corridor. She opened Milo’s door and he stepped inside. The room within was large and well appointed. In one corner stood a large four poster bed. In the others were a writing desk and a comfortable chair with a reading light. A wardrobe stood along one wall. A large window offered a view overlooking the expansive and perfectly manicured grounds. A closed door led to an attached bathroom.

13. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    A cracked rib is painful, so let's hope he gets aspirin for the pain, at least.:(

Good cartoony description, and now they're living the life of luxury, as much as possible. I'm liking your characterization of McDuck.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  14. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, a cracked rib is fairly painful, but Milo is a tough kid and Mrs. Beakley is going rebandage him, so he’ll be fine. As for Scrooge, once he heard Milo’s story and was reassured that Bin security was never really in danger, he’s a pretty reasonable person. Milo interacting with the Duck boys and Della should be interesting. One of the ideas that I’ve been kicking around is the idea of Huey giving Milo a copy the Junior Woodchuck Guidebook. I think he would find it to be immensely valuable in managing Murphy’s Law.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    pronker likes this.
  15. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    When Mrs. Beakley returned ten minutes later, it was with an ice pack in hand and a bundle under one arm. Milo began to slowly pull off his sweater vest, then his golf shirt and finally his undershirt. Once again Mrs. Beakley examined him with a practiced and critical eye. “These bandages have been inexpertly applied,” she said finally. He stood still as she unwrapped the tensor bandages. The right side of Milo’s chest was a mass of purple and black bruising. There was a noticeable protrusion in his chest where his cracked rib was pushing outward, stretching his skin. She gently pressed the ice pack to his chest and he let out an involuntary breath as he felt the frigid numbness spreading through his body. “Keep that there, and I will return with proper bandages.” Milo nodded in understanding. As she turned to leave, she deposited the bundle on the low wardrobe by the door and Milo realized that it was clothing. “As you may be staying with us for some time, I have taken the liberty of procuring some additional clothing in your size.” Mrs. Beakley open the door and went out.
    No sooner had the door swung shut, than it opened again, this time admitting Zack, Melissa and Amanda. They had been talking, but stopped upon seeing Milo with his shirt off, ice pack pressed to chest.
    “That looks bad,” said Zack pointing to Milo’s injury, “even for you.”
    Milo waved away Zack’s concern with a shrug. “It’s just a cracked rib,” he said. “It’s not the first time. I’ll be fine in a few weeks.”
    “Milo,” said Amanda, “we wanted to thank for what you said about us.”
    “Yeah,” said Zack. He coughed once. He suddenly felt a little self conscious. “We had no idea that you felt like that about us.”
    Milo gazed levelled at his friends, “well, I do,” he said. “Being a Murphy is hard,” he said. Milo paused, wondering exactly how to explain how he felt. “Most people don’t realize that, but its true. They just see the runaway construction equipment and the chaos that follows me everywhere, but they don’t realize that Murphy’s Law doesn’t just affect my body,” he gestured to the ice pack pressed to his side. “It also affects my mental health and my relationships-“
    “Does it?”asked Zack, surprised, “I never really thought about Murphy’s Law like that.”
    “It does,” answered Milo, “I’m not really sure how to describe in a way that you’d understand, except to say that it can. As for my relationships,” Milo shrugged and looked at Zack, Melissa and Amanda again, “well, you guys know how unpredictable Murphy’s Law can be.” Milo paused again, wondering how to tell them what he wanted to tell them, “You guys give me a lot of stability. I’ve never told anyone that before, but it’s true.” Milo took a steadying breath. “Sometimes, I feel like you protect from myself,” he said simply.
    There was what seemed to be at least a minute of ringing silence in the room. Zack, Melissa and Amanda looked floored. An image came unbidden to Melissa’ mind of the first time she had met Milo. It had been the bus stop at the end of Milo’s street. They had both been six at the time and it had been the first day of first grade. She vividly remembered that Murphy’s Law had hit when a rocket engine had become lodged on the roof of the bus and she and Milo had been thrown out of the bus and onto the emergency exit door. She and Milo had become fast friends after that. For awhile, she had even tried to study Murphy’s Law, hoping that she might be able help Milo live a normal life free from its effects, but she had eventually realized that he didn’t want that. She had not realized just how much of stabilizing force in his otherwise completely chaotic life she had been over the last seven years and she guessed that Zack and Amanda had had no idea either.
    Melissa blinked a couple of times. “Milo,” she began, “That means a lot to-“
    Milo cut her off with a gentle wave of his hand. “It’s OK, Melissa,” he said, “you don’t need to say anything.”
    “Milo,” said Amanda.
    “Yeah, Amanda,” said Milo.
    “You’re the best friend I think I’ve ever had.”

16. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Episode Eleven

Mrs. Beakley returned fifteen minutes later with gauze. She rewrapped Milo’s chest and showed him how to do it himself without assistance. She pulled the bandages tight, forcing his cracked rib back into its proper alignment. An involuntary grunt escaped his lips as she did it and his chest burned hotly, but Milo found that he had much greater mobility as a result. She left several extras rolls of bandages on the low wardrobe next to the pile of neatly folded clothes. The sun was sinking towards the horizon and the trees in the grounds cast long shadows. “We will be dining on the terrace this evening,” said Mrs. Beakley, “should you care to join us.”

An hour later, Milo, Zack, Melissa, and Amanda walked down from their rooms, eventually stepping out on to an expansive flagstone terrace. It offered a commanding view of the sprawling metropolis below. Milo walked over to the wrought iron balustrade, which had been twisted into an elaborate series of dollar signs. Duckburg was ablaze with lights. Scrooge walked over to join him.
    “Milo,” he said genially,”I’m glad you and your friends could join us.”
    “We never got a chance to thank you for helping us Mr. McDuck,” said Milo.
    Scrooge waved the hand clutching his cane airily.”One of the nice things about being the richest duck in the world is that I can do pretty much whatever I want, and I want to help you if I can, and my employees call me Mr.McDuck. You and your friends can call me Scrooge.”
    “Alright, Scrooge,” said Milo.
    From behind him, Milo heard footsteps and voices, followed immediately by a squeal of delight, which he recognized immediately as Amanda. He turned and saw a duck with a slender build and a long cascade of feathery hair flowing down her back. She was dressed in an old flight jacket, a silk pilot’s scarf and a leather flying cap. She was followed closely behind by a gaggle of ducklings, three boys and a girl. The girl and the boy in a blue T-shirt were laughing at something on the boy’s phone. Mrs.Beakley and Launchpad brought up the rear.
    “Oh!” exclaimed Amanda excitedly, “they’re so adorable,” and before anyone could stop her, she had scooped up a boy dressed in a green hoodie and given him a crushing hug.
    He squirmed and kicked at Amanda. “Hey! What the-! Ow! Put me down!” He eventually wriggled free and fell onto the flagstone surface, landing hard on his backside. He picked himself up, and muttering something about, “Uncle Scrooge bringing home strays again.” He brushed himself off and continued toward the table, which had been set up in the middle of the terrace.
    Milo cast a slightly apprehensive eye toward Scrooge, who was chuckling. “Your friend Amanda certainly seems to have taken to Louie,” he said. He waved to the slender duck in the flight jacket. She turned and walked over to Scrooge and Milo. “You’ve already met Launchpad and Mrs. Beakley,” said Scrooge. “I’d like to introduce you to my niece, Della.The three boys are her kids, Huey, Dewey and Louie. The girl is Mrs.Beakley’s granddaughter, Webby.”
    Della stuck out a friendly hand and Milo shook it. “Hi, Della,” he said, “my name is Milo Murphy,” Milo gestured to his friends, “these are my friends, Zack, Melissa and Amanda.” Della exchanged a round of handshakes with Milo’s friends.
    “Hi, Milo,” said Della, “I hope you and your friends are comfortable here.”
    “Thanks, Della,” said Milo, “Scrooge is taking good care of us.”
    Della seemed to read something in Milo’s expression because she said,“If you and your friends ever need to talk, I understand what you’re going through, Milo.”
    Scrooge nodded.“Della was stranded on the moon ten years ago, just before her three boys were born,” he said. “Her brother Donald, had to raise them by himself. She only just got back a few weeks ago. She hasn’t really found her place yet.”
    As Scrooge spoke, Milo felt a sudden pang. He had a sudden vision of his parents, Sara and Doof and Perry sitting down to dinner at the kitchen table, just like they did everyday, expect that Milo’s seat was empty. Milo was suddenly aware of Scrooge scrutinizing him.
    “Are you alright, Milo?” asked Scrooge, a note of concern in his voice. “Is it your rib?”
    With a little effort, Milo pushed away the image. “No,” he said, “Mrs. Beakley re-bandaged my rib, and how did she know about that anyway?”
    Scrooge chuckled. “She has her ways,” he said. “She was my field partner for awhile, and she’s patched me up more that a few times.”
    Milo sighed, “I was just thinking, well you have your family,” he said. “I should be with mine.”
    “Does Murphy’s Law do this a lot, then?” asked Scrooge gently. He couldn’t help but feel a certain affection for the hapless teenager and admired his friends for sticking by him, despite the many challenges that came with doing so.
    “It’s happened a couple of times before,” replied Milo. He quickly told Scrooge about the Pistachions and the Octalians. As he spoke, he wondered if there was some way to send a message to Cavendish and Dakota. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Mrs. Beakley going back and forth from the kitchen with bowls and platters of food. Milo followed the flow of people toward the table. He found himself sitting near the head of the table next Scrooge and opposite Huey, Dewey, Louie and Webby. Milo suddenly realized that he was famished and immediately began attacking his food. Huey, Dewey, Louie and Webby stared at him avidly as he ate.
    Looking as if he were about to burst from excitement, Dewey suddenly blurted out, “are you really from another dimension?”
    Huey, Louie and Webby were suddenly talking over each other, trying to attract Milo’s attention.
    “How did you get here?”
    “What’s your dimension like?”
    “Can you read minds?”
    “Kids, please,” interjected Scrooge, “let him eat. He’s had a long day.”
    Milo found that he couldn’t help but like Huey, Dewey, Louie and Webby. He put down his fork and took in the four of them. “Yes,” he said, “I’m from another dimension.” Milo had thought about what had happened and had decided that there was really no other explanation. “My friends and I came here as a result of Murphy’s Law.”
    Huey looked at Milo sceptically, “but how does that work?”he asked. “Murphy’s Law is just an axiom. Anything that can go wrong will. There’s no hard science there.”
    Huey’s chair collapsed, dumping him unceremoniously onto the ground. His brothers and Webby laughed. He picked himself up and looked at Milo. “How did you do that?” he asked.
    Milo shrugged. “Murphy’s Law,” he said.
    “Huey,” interjected Scrooge, “Milo isn’t your typical teenager.”
    “He doesn’t look like it,” said Webby.
    Milo felt another pang. For some reason that he couldn’t put his finger on, Webby reminded him of his sister. He briefly wondered if she was thinking of him. He felt another pang and had to push the thought away. “Well, I’m not, “ he said and he explained how he had been born with Murphy’s Law and how it was a inherited trait in his family.
    If anything, Huey looked even more sceptical. “But that doesn’t even make sense,” he said, “genetics doesn’t work like.”
    “In my case it does,” replied Milo, and he explained about how his negative probability field skewed all outcomes in his vicinity to negative outcomes.
    Huey looked at Milo as if he were being intentionally dense. “But probability doesn’t work like that at all,” he said.
    Milo didn’t respond. Huey wasn’t the first person he had encountered who had been sceptical of Milo’s connection to Murphy’s Law.
    Eventually, Mrs. Beakley cleared away the remains of dinner and everyone went inside and began to make their way upstairs. Milo, Zack, Melissa and Amanda ran into Scrooge and Della coming from around a corner on the third floor.
    “Milo, good,” said Scrooge, “I was hoping to run into you again before you went to bed. I’d like the four of you to come down to the Money Bin tomorrow. I’d like you to talk to Gyro about your predicament.”
    Milo nodded. “We’ll see you tomorrow morning then,” he said.
    “Oh, and I hope you won’t take Huey too seriously,” said Scrooge. “He’s always demanding proof for everything.”
    Milo shrugged. “It goes with being a Murphy,” he said. “I know a few people like that.”
    Scrooge nodded. “Well, good night, to you all then.”

17. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    The limousine pulled into the garage under the Money Bin early the next morning. Milo, Zack, Melissa, Amanda and Scrooge got out and walked inside. Instead of following his usual path up to his inner sanctum on the top floor of the Money Bin, he lead Milo, Zack, Melissa and Amanda down to Gyro’s lab. Scrooge placed his hand on the biometric palm reader next to the door, which swung open and they went inside. They found Fenton waiting for them.
    “Fenton,” said Scrooge genially, “good morning.”
    “Good morning, Mr.McDuck,” said Fenton, “what brings you down here this morning?”
    Scrooge motioned to Milo and his friends. “This is Milo Murphy, and his friends, Zack, Melissa and Amanda. I believe you had a run in with them yesterday.”
    Fenton nodded, “Somehow they got in without tripping the security system.” He eyed Milo suspiciously. “How did you do that?” he asked.
    “That’s what we’ve come to talk you about,” Scrooge interjected. “Where’s Gyro?”
    “Checking the machine,” said Fenton.
    “Get him,” said Scrooge.
    Fenton turned and motioned for them follow him. They followed him down the hall past the entrance to the clean room and let them into Gyro’s office. “You can wait here,” he said. He turned and went out again. When he returned ten minutes later, it was with Gyro Gearloose in tow.
    “Good morning, Mr.McDu-“ Gyro stopped upon seeing the four teenagers. “What are they doing here?” he asked acidly.
    “They’re here because I promised them my help,” said Scrooge. “Their being here is an accident.”
    “Is it?” asked Gyro, “because they nearly damaged a very important quantum physics experiment.”
    “Yes, it is,” responded Milo, and he told them about his family’s history with Murphy’s Law and his negative probability field, the quantum anomaly it had created and Phineas’ machine. He watched Gyro and Fenton as he spoke and felt as though he could sense some of Huey’s skepticism in their eyes, but they let him finish and didn’t try to dissuade Milo that he was somehow wrong or crazy. When Milo was done talking after about twenty minutes, Fenton and Gyro looked at each other.
    “Hmmmm,” said Fenton thoughtfully after a while. “Everything in the universe resonates with a specific quantum frequency, if were possible to isolate theirs, perhaps we could open a stable event horizon back to their dimension.”
    “But, what about Murphy’s Law?” asked Milo. “It skews everything around me. Anything that can go wrong will.”
    “Well, what about the Murphy’s Lawinator?” asked Zack slowly. “It worked before and we wouldn’t have to turn it for very long.”
    Scrooge, Gyro and Fenton all looked confused. “What exactly is the Murphy’s Lawinator?” asked Scrooge, and for the first time Milo realized just how bad Doofenshmirtz was at naming his inventions.
    Melissa quickly explained what the Murphy’s Lawinator had been for and how it had worked. “Unfortunately,” she said, with a commiserating look at Milo, “it had unexpected side effects.”
    “I see,” said Scrooge slowly.
    There was another long silence, as everyone pondered the problem of how to safely open a wormhole to Danville without invoking Murphy’s Law.
    “Perhaps, there’s another way to look at the problem,” Zack suggested at last. “What if instead of trying to suppress Milo’s negative probability field, we try to flood it with positive probability instead.”
    Scrooge looked at Fenton and Gyro. “Would that work?” he asked.
    Gyro looked thoughtful. ”Perhaps,” he said slowly.
    “You might need to watch out for Orgaluth’s Law, though,” replied Milo, and he explained how an uncontrolled build up of negative probability ions had almost destroyed Octalia.
    Fenton looked thoughtful. “Well, we can run some simulations and see how it all fits together,” he said, “and we’ll have to run some tests to determine their exact quantum frequency.”
    “And how long will that take,” asked Scrooge.
    Gyro looked thoughtful again. “A week to do the tests,” he said.
    “-barring Murphy’s Law,” interjected Milo.
    “And another week to calibrate the equipment,” he finished.
    Scrooge nodded, “well then, I guess you had better get started.”

18. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    "Almost" being the operative word here. I wonder how the Octalians are doing?

19. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Presumably figuring out how to live with Orgaluth’s Law and yeah it would be interesting if they showed up again for some reason, although I’m not really sure how to make that happen.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    pronker likes this.
  20. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    That's the thing about writing a long story, you can shoehorn ideas in that you get along the way.

21. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, one idea that has occurred to me is that there is a secret story arc that connects World without Milo and First Impressions. In World without Milo Elliot Decker somehow wakes up in what is apparently an alternate timeline where for some reason Milo doesn’t exist and the only other people who remember him are Cavendish and Dakota, who are apparently trying to fix the timeline. Perhaps they are trying to undie Milo for some reason? In Milo’s flashback in First Impressions, Milo and Melissa were thrown from the back of the school bus after a rocket engine became lodged on the roof. It’s heavily implied that Dakota probably saved their lives by hijacking Cavendish’s time vehicle and none of them seem to be aware that they share this connection. Cavendish has repeatedly said that he wants a more meaningful assignment than picking up alien garbage. Perhaps he works out this connection somehow and decides that protecting Milo and his friends is his true purpose.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    pronker likes this.
  22. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Episode Twelve

Scrooge got up and walked out of Gyro’s office, followed by Gyro, Fenton, Milo, Zack, Melissa and Amanda. Scrooge turned one way toward the elevator up to his inner sanctum and the other turned the other way deeper into the labyrinth of Gyro’s laboratory. They eventually stopped in a large central workspace. Work benches with computers and various scientific instruments lined the walls. A large magnetic coil sat in an alcove by itself.
    Fenton turned to the four teenagers. “This is a quantum resonance imager,” he said. “We can use this to scan you to establish a baseline for determining your individual quantum frequencies. Once we’ve done that we’ll move on to additional testing.” He surveyed Milo, Zack, Melissa and Amanda. “So who’s going to go first?”
    In the end, Zack volunteered to go first and Fenton handed him a heavy lead apron. He shrugged on the lead apron, which caused his shoulders to noticeably sag. Fenton walked over to a computer on a stand next to the quantum resonance imager and input several commands. The interlocking magnetic coils spun around, realigning themselves with a series of whirs and loud metallic clunks. At the same time, a stretcher slid from the centre of the machine and Zack slowly lay down, as if he was fighting his claustroavoidance again.
    “We’ll start with ten passes,”said Fenton. He pushed a button and a blue light shone from the centre of the machine. He turned a second monitor and a generic outline of a humanoid body appeared on it with a series of cascading readouts in the bottom right corner. Fenton pushed another button and the quantum resonance imager began to execute a series of pre-programmes commands. Clunk! Clunk! Clunk! The magnetic coils began to rotate around Zack in a slow, methodical fashion. The generic humanoid form on the screen was slowly filled with a multicoloured spectral image as the quantum resonance imager probed Zack’s body at the subatomic level. It took an hour to complete the ten passes of Zack’s body with the quantum resonance imager, and another hour each for Melissa and Amanda. Performing a full scan of Milo took a full three hours because Murphy’s Law kept causing the machine to experience unexpected and highly improbable but not impossible breakdowns, which resulted in the machine having to be completely reset on three occasions, but eventually Gyro and Fenton were able to built up initial datasets for Milo, Zack, Melissa and Amanda. From there, over the course of the next week, the four teenagers were subjected to an extensive battery of tests, ranging from molecular imaging to brainwave analysis to tissue samples and fitness tests. They subjected Milo and his friends to absolutely every test they could think of in order to build up the most complete picture possible of their quantum state in order to have the best chance possible of sending them back to their own dimension. Late in the day at the end of the week, Scrooge came down to check on their progress.
    “Well you haven’t blow up the Bin, yet,” he said jokingly. “That’s encouraging.”
    Gyro and Fenton both nodded. “We’ve been able to isolate their quantum frequencies,” said Fenton. He brought a series of graphics on his computer. “Accurately isolating Milo’s was difficult because of Murphy’s Law.” He nodded at Milo, who shrugged.
    “The machines kept shorting out,” he said. “The quantum resonance imager crashed three times.”
    “But you were able to get what you needed?” asked Scrooge.
    Gyro nodded. “The next step will be to properly calibrate the generator in order to ensure a stable event horizon at the right temporal and spatial co-ordinates.”
    “That’s not something You four will be able to help us with,” said Fenton, with a shrug, “Sorry.” Despite his initial suspicions of Milo, Zack, Melissa and Amanda, he had grown to thoroughly like all of them and would be sorry to see them go.

pronker likes this.
  23. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Eight days later, Milo, Zack, Melissa and Amanda stood garbed once again in four matching clean room smocks. Milo was slightly nervous and he impulsively fingered the quantum inhibitor on his wrist. He couldn’t help but feel a strange sense of déjà vu. The last time someone had tried to send him through a wormhole, everything had gone disastrously wrong and he has been pitched headfirst into an unstable wormhole and ended up in another dimension with a concussion and a cracked rib. Without realizing he was doing it, he pressed his hand to his right side.
    Melissa noticed the unconscious gesture. “Milo, are you OK,” she asked, a look of concern on her face.
    Milo sudden realized what he had been doing and shook himself. “I’m fine,” he said slightly more adamantly than he had intended. He did feel mostly fine he told himself, he felt a dull ache in his chest, but that was just his broken rib bone knitting itself back together.
    “Are you sure?” asked Zack, overhearing their conversation, “Scrooge did offer to let us stay for awhile, until you got better.”
    It was true, Milo reminded himself, Scrooge had been very generous with them. As there had nothing that Milo, Zack, Melissa and Amanda had been able to do to help Gyro and Fenton recalibrate all the generator’s equipment in order to give them the best chance possible of returning to Danville, he had arranged for Milo and his friends to spend some time in St. Canard, New Quackmore and Cape Suzette with Della and Huey, Dewey and Louie. Milo hefted the heavy soft cover book that Huey had given him as a parting gift. He looked at the front cover again, the title read The Junior Woodchuck Guidebook. He let the thick, heavy book fall open in his hands. He looked at the heading of the section that the book had fallen open to. It was titled was “Alien Abductions.” His mouth twitched slightly. That would have been helpful a couple of months ago, thought Milo. He turned from the page that the book had fallen open on to the table of contents and ran his eye down the long list of topic headings. They ran from hike planning, knots, canoe handling, rafting, setting up camp, identifying edible plants, mountain climbing and first aid to time travel, killer robots and tracking cryptids. Milo found that he suddenly had a new appreciation for for Huey, his brothers and their friend Webby. Milo, Zack and Melissa has spent much of the week swapping stories about Murphy’s Law with the Duck boys and Webby who seemed to have an equally endless supply of stories about Scrooge, Della and their Uncle Donald, who they claimed was world class adventurer in his own right.
    Milo saw Zack walking over to him out of the corner of his eye and shut The Junior Woodchuck Guidebook. As he did, he noticed something written on the inside cover. He opened the inside cover. The book had been signed. Milo read, To Milo Murphy, Best Wishes from Huey, Dewey, Louie and Webby. He was still looking at the book when Zack appeared at his shoulder, interrupting his thoughts. Milo shut The Junior Woodchuck Guidebook and packed it in his backpack.
    “Ready to go home?” asked Zack.
    Milo nodded. “Yeah,” he said. Milo paused for a moment and then said, “I do like it here, though.”
    “Yeah,” agreed Melissa, coming over to join them. “Duckburg was nice.”
    “I wonder if there’s anyway we could come back,” asked Amanda.
    “I don’t know,” replied Milo, “We’ll have to ask Cavendish and Dakota.”
    “Doof might know,” Zack suggested.
    “Possibly,” Milo allowed slowly, “but we don’t see him that often.” He suddenly and involuntarily remembered the conversation he had had with Heinz in his parents’ kitchen at one AM. “His time travel research keeps him pretty busy.”
    Scrooge came over to the four teenagers, interrupting their conversation. “Fenton and Gyro have informed me that everything is almost ready,” he said. He looked as though he was debating whether or not to ask them to stay, but instead he said, “You’re always welcome in Duckburg.”
    “Thanks,” said Milo. As Scrooge and Milo shook hands, a deep, electric blue haze descended over the clean room and warning alarms blared loudly. Milo nervously fidgeted with the quantum inhibitor on his wrist again. It had been designed specifically for him by Fenton, who had explained that it would lock Milo’s quantum frequency within a very narrow bandwidth and would prevent him from creating another quantum anomaly. Milo took a deep, steadying breath. Gyro and Fenton were both hunched over their computers studying their readouts and data feeds. Occasionally they exchanged a few terse words with each other.
    “Power indicators are nominal”
    “Anti-proton levels are good.”
    “Muon traps are stable.”
    Gyro entered a string of commands into his computer. In between the upright carbon fibre panels, a pair of curved panels began rose up and began to spin rapidly, soon they were little more than a rapidly spinning blur. Tendrils of energy began to play back and forth in the space between the where the event horizon would eventually form. First one, then three or four, then dozens, then hundreds. Milo checked himself nervously. He didn’t feel the same sense of inexplicable immobility that he had felt in Phineas’ backyard.He looked around at Zack, Melissa and Amanda. He suddenly felt as though they were watching him he tried to give them a reassuring thumbs up.
    At the same time, a pencil thin beam of green energy shot down from somewhere overhead into the swirling mass of energy. There was a blinding flash of light and Milo instinctively threw his hands up in front of his eyes. When the light faded and Milo was able to uncover his eyes, he saw a what appeared to be a hole in space. The wormhole’s event horizon was rimmed with a writhing ribbon of blue-white energy. The middle was like looking through a window. Milo could see what appeared to be his backyard. He could clearly see Doof’s shed. It appeared to night time. Doof and Perry were clearly silhouetted against the window. He could also see the lights from his parents kitchen. His father was on crutches and his sister was stirring something in a pot on the stove. Diogee was sniffing around her feet looking for scraps.
    Milo hefted his backpack and took a step up on to the raised platform. The energy made the air crackle and Milo felt the hair on his arms stand on end. He could sense Zack, Melissa and Amanda following behind him. As he approached the edge of the event horizon, Milo’s vision distorted weirdly as he approached the event horizon. Everything tilted crazily as he approached the event horizon and Milo felt his feet leave ground. He suddenly realized that he was being pitched head first through the wormhole and he tried to curl himself into a ball, but didn’t have enough time and landed in a heap on the back lawn, Milo felt fire in his chest as he landed on his bad rib. At the same time, he felt his backpack pressing uncomfortably down on his spine. From somewhere nearby he heard a series of dull thuds as Zack, Melissa and Amanda hit the ground around him. Thankfully nobody landed on Milo directly this time. He heard the distant sound of Diogee barking, then the back door opening, followed by footsteps and voices.
    The next thing Milo knew a long tongue was licking his right ear and snuffling his hair. “Diogee!” he said excitedly. “Good boy!” Ignoring the renewed pain in his chest, Milo pushed himself to his feet. He brushed off the dirt and gave Diogee a scratch behind the ears. He wagged his stumpy tail and barked happily at the sight of his owner. Milo’s mother reached him first. “Hi, Mom,” said Milo.
    “Milo,” she said, brushing the dirt off of his shoulders, “what are you doing out in the yard? Why didn’t you come straight inside after you got back from Phineas’ house?”
    Milo was suddenly confused. “After I-but Mom, that was two weeks ago.”
    “No, little bro,” said Sara, “that was just this morning.”
    Melissa looked skeptical. “Are you sure, Sara?” she asked. She pulled out her phone. “Here,” she handed Milo’s sister her phone.”Check the date.”
    Sara tapped through the calendar app on Melissa’s phone. Sure enough Melissa’s calendar was two weeks out of synch. “Wizardy,”she said in amazement.
    Milo’s father came hobbling up on his crutches.
    “Hi, Dad,”said Milo with a wave.
    “Milo,” said his father, slightly confused, “what are you doing in the yard? Did you forget that you invited Cavendish and Dakota for dinner?”
    Actually, Milo had forgotten. “Uhhhhh, yeah Dad,” he said. He suddenly realized that talking to the two time agents might be a very good idea. “I guess I did.” He turned and walked into the house.

pronker likes this.
  24. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Episode Thirteen

Milo walked across the yard and pushed open the back door into the kitchen. As he stepped into the brightly lit space he smelled his mother’s cooking. He stopped and took a deep sniff. It smelled wonderful and Milo suddenly realized that his mouth was watering. As he surveyed the kitchen, taking in the smells wafting from the stove, he suddenly envisioned Scrooge, his nephew and Della sitting down to dinner and he wondered what they were doing. His thoughts were interrupted by the sound of the door bell ringing. He walked from the kitchen through the rest of the house to the front door. He opened it and found Cavendish and Dakota standing on the threshold.
    “Hello, Milo,” said Cavendish.
    “Hi Cavendish, Dakota,” said Milo. “Why don’t you come in.” He took a step back and they walked in side. “Everyone’s in the yard,” said Milo, shuttling the front door. Cavendish and Dakota followed Milo back through to the kitchen, where everyone had congregated around the dinner table. Milo’s mother was stirring something in a pot on the stove and Sara had gotten extra chairs for Zack, Melissa and Amanda and was setting three extra places. Milo’s father was balancing on his crutches while shutting the back door. Everyone was sitting down. Milo felt the comforting weight of Diogee pressing against his right leg. He reached down and patted the top of his head. Diogee’s tail thumped happily against the floor.
    “So, Milo,” asked Sara as their mother set a plate of roast chicken and bowls of vegetables on the table, “you went to see Phineas and Ferb this morning, but you said that was two weeks ago? What happened?”
    As Milo helped himself to chicken, mashed potatoes and carrots, he thought he saw Cavendish and Dakota exchange a look that clearly said, “well this ought to be good.” They were well aware of the kinds of predicaments that Milo and his friends often landed in as a result of Murphy’s Law, having landed in a few of them themselves, but as far as either of them could recall Milo had never admitted to experiencing two weeks worth of events that nobody else could remember. Without preamble and around mouthfuls of food, he told them the story.
    “And I thought the Octalian incident was weird,” said Dakota, when Milo had finished talking.
    “Actually, it sounds like the four of you were very lucky,” replied Cavendish earnestly. “You could have ended up anywhere in the multiverse.”
    That thought had occurred to Milo as well, on a couple of occasions during their stay in Duckburg. He had supposed at the time that they should be grateful that Scrooge had turned out to be reasonable person.
    “Yeah, it was strange at first,” said Zack, “but once you got to know them, they were actually OK.”
    “Well, to be fair, Launchpad was kind of dense,” said Melissa. “He kept going on about all the airplanes he’s crashed.”
    “Actually, Milo,” began Dakota slowly, “we’ve been meaning to talk to the four of you.”
    “Oh,” asked Milo, his curiosity piqued, “what about, Dakota?”
    Milo, Zack and Melissa all had the sense that Cavendish and Dakota had rehearsed this conversation more than once, and even Amanda, who hardly knew Cavendish and Dakota at all could tell that the usual easy rapport that they normally had with Milo, Zack and Melissa had suddenly changed.“Well, the four of you are all pretty good at looking out for each other.”
    “Well, I’ve got the three best friends in the world,” said Milo.
    “High praise indeed,” said Cavendish, with a note of approval in his voice,“but first there were the Pistachions-“
    “-And the Octalians,” interjected Dakota.
    “Twice,” riposted Milo.
    “-And now this,” continued Cavendish.“Look,” said Dakota matter of factly, “as much I think that Cavendish is being motivated the fact he wasn’t able prevent Milo from being abducted, doesn’t mean he isn’t right.”
    Milo’s father looked from his son to Dakota and back again, a mix of confusion and alarm on his face. “Dakota, what are you suggesting?” he asked.
    Sara caught Dakota’s meaning at once. “Are you suggesting that someone would,” she paused, as if trying to find the right words, “try to take Milo?”
    Dakota shrugged, “Well Milo’s not your typical teenager. Its entirely possible that there are people with nefarious motives who’d be interested in Milo.”
    Cavendish sighed. This conversation clearly wasn’t going the way he and Dakota had intended. “We don’t know of direct threats to Milo’s safety,” said Cavendish, “but the Octalians were sufficiently interested in Milo to study him and abduct him twice.” Cavendish and Dakota were both watching Milo, as though gaging the hapless teenager’s reaction. “And the Octalians had benign intentions.”
    “Look, Milo,” said Dakota, “we’re your friends and we’re trying to watch your back, so that’s why we’d to make a proposal to the four of you.”
    “What did you have in mind?” asked Milo.
    “We’d like you to consider joining the Bureau mentorship program,” said Cavendish. “In essence, you’d shadow us.”
    “Yeah, it’s not as if we get the cool missions,” said Dakota, “mostly we just pick up alien garbage.”
    Milo was silent for what silent seemed like several minutes, as he digested what Cavendish and Dakota had said. He felt as though Cavendish and Dakota were still watching him, as though waiting for him to react. Milo shot a look at a his father, as though hoping to find some sign there, but evidently Milo’s father was also still digesting the implications of the conversation.
    It was Melissa who finally broke the silence. “So what about Phineas and Ferb?” she asked.
    “You mean the Flynn kid?” asked Dakota, in slight surprise. He hadn’t thought of Phineas and Ferb as a possible means of getting to Milo.
    “I let them study me,” said Milo. “You know, we built the Murphy’s Law Suit, to stop the Pistachions.”
    “Of course,” said Cavendish, in realization, “I had forgotten that.”
    Dakota nodded, “we’ll have to talk to the Flynn kid and his family.”

pronker likes this.
  25. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Good and reasonable use of a respectable length of time for this to take place - many fics have instanteous processes and immediate results!

I always liked that about reading the Barks books. Scrooge was sort of an Indiana Jones in the shape of a duck.

Good plot you've got going. :)

Chancellor_Ewok likes this.