main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Dark (Netflix TV Show)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The Regular Mustache, Jun 27, 2019.

1. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Anybody else here watching the Netflix TV show, "Dark"? I just finished season 2 last night and loved the hell out of it.

Darth Guy and Blobofat like this.
  2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I've watched up to episode 4 of season 2. I thought season 1 was great, but was a little put off by the cliffhanger ending. At the moment I'm enjoying s2 but I feel the writers have changed their minds about a few things, which is always awkward in a series like this.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I try to watch it without subtitles to practice German, so half the time it’s basically

4. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    If they said "Achtung! Sprechen sie Deutsch? Vorsprung durch technik" then it'd be a doddle to understand. But when they blurt out things like "It's a matter of perspective whether Ulrich was here or in the future simultaneously" then you're right. It's brainfog time.

Just got to S2Ep6 and really wanted to binge the rest last night but today was too busy. But now.....now I hopefully get to find out why
    Adam/Jonas looks like a deep-fried Kojak

5. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I finished season 2 today. I don't know if it made sense, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. I particularly like the lack of glib one-liners - everyone is committed to playing it as straight drama.

I did wonder if "Adam" was going to be revealed as lying about being future-Jonas, and instead be the always jealous Bartosz, but that didn't happen. They've got to have some sort of plan for Bartosz though, right?

And I liked Alt-Martha, and admired the producers' restraint in not giving her a katana slung over her back.

Anyway, now I can't wait for season 3. I need to see it now!

6. Blobofat

Dec 15, 2000
    I admired her bangs.

Amazing show. Finding out that the police chief's daughter was also her mother was a bit mind bending. That means the deaf daughter must be her own sister's Grandmother. Guess we have to be thankful they haven't had to give out birthday cards.

And Hannah's visit to Ulrich. That was some Grade A evil witchcraft right there. I'm going to admit it: I fancy her.

One question: Jonas seems pretty able at operating nuclear computer gear. How did he learn that? I remember he said to 1986 Claudia that her future self spent a year teaching him everything she knows but surely it's one thing scribbling stuff down in class and another going full-on boffin and operating the gear for real.

I'm still intruiged to see where Alexander Tiedemann fits into it all. We know he's really called Boris but what was he running away from originally and why did he have a gun? There's obviously far more to him. Is he also a traveller of some sort from the past or future?

7. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I was also thinking the same thing about Bartosz and still think it could turn out that way.

tom and soitscometothis like this.
  8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i just caught up. i'm still really scratching my head about the ending. like did the loop break? or did the older jonas also have that experience of being rescued by martha? if he did why'd he go through the trouble of getting her in the bunker? if he didn't how did he survive the apocalypse? bah, i'm sure it will be explained in the next season, but i hope it actually makes sense and they don't just kind of wave it away. this show can definitely hurt your brain at times.

soitscometothis likes this.
  9. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003

I'm going to have to rewatch at least the last season. And probably make notes and draw diagrams. And that's just to remind me who is related to who.

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The introduction of alternate universes is going to make the plot way more complicated.

soitscometothis likes this.
  11. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Big time! All I remember about the last season was that it was amazing and very confusing so I’ll definitely have to do a rewatch or watch a YouTube recap.

Blobofat and soitscometothis like this.
  12. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    The first episode of season 3 did not disappoint.

13. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I've now rewatched the first two seasons and have a much better grasp on what's going on, who's who etc. Unless you're taking wicked complex notes it's pretty much impossible to understand it all with only one watch. Very happy to be going into the final season this way

Blobofat and soitscometothis like this.
  14. Blobofat

Dec 15, 2000
    That's what I'm aiming to do as well. I've forgotten half of it.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  15. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I re-watched season 2 before starting season 3. Back when season 2 debuted I hadn't bothered to re-watch the first season, which was a mistake. After finishing season 2, I immediately re-watched season 1 and season 2 back to back to try and lock it all down in my head, so I've seen the first two seasons twice. Even so, I still have moments of confusion about who is related to whom.

edit: Actually, that means I've seen season 2 three times. I can't count and I'm trying to understand Dark...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Blobofat, darthcaedus1138 and tom like this.
  16. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Kids, you're going to want those diagrams.:confused:

17. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Yep. I’m glad I watched a couple recaps of the first two seasons before watching season three.

Just finished season three last night and loved it! Such an underrated show.

18. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    It was a great show, and the ending, whilst not perfect, wasn't bad at all.

There were a few things that I felt either didn't really hang together or were glossed over for the sake of hitting the required emotional beats.

There was also something that I wasn't sure I understood, though (I mean, it's Dark, there are lots of things I'm confused over, but this one I think has some logic behind it which I simply haven't picked up on yet):
    The cut on Martha's cheek that she gets going through the fence jumps from side-to-side. I feel this is something which is supposed to tell the audience something about which Martha it is, but I'm not sure what, or what the logic behind the mirroring is. I mean, I've only seen s3 once so I might well have missed something or simply be mistaken about the mirroring of the cut... a second watch might clear it up for me.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  19. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I think the mirroring was just supposed to be a tell as to which world we're in. So when the cut is under her left eye, we're in Adam's world and under her right eye we're in Eva's world. That's why the scar on the Adam and Martha's son switches sides, even though there's only one version of them.

Amazing.

20. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I thought it must be something like that.

21. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I noticed that too and just chalked it up to a continuity error.

Similarly I could've sworn that the scar on one of the trio guys lip hopped from side to another a couple times too but I could be wrong.

22. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Makeup on a quality show like Dark would never make that mistake. When I first noticed it I wondered if a shot had been flipped in the editing room because it read better that way, but they forgot to edit the facial cut with cgi; however it then kept happening, so it must have been deliberate. I think AmazingB take is correct, but I'll have to re-watch this series again (and let's face it, I was always going to have to do that!).

23. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I’ve never felt so entertained and put off by a show lol. I loved it but at the same time I want those 24 hours of my life back. Brb I’m going to hang myself after that depressing finale.

24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i thought the finale was more bittersweet than depressing. it's hard to picture how the show could have had a happy ending, at least in the traditional sense. this was probably the closest we were ever going to get, and that last moment was i thought really beautiful and touching. overall i was mostly hooked by the atmosphere of the show and some great performances by the actors, who kept the show grounded even as the premise got more and more out there. there were definitely times where i felt completely lost but after a while i just kind of went with those moments, trusting that the show would somehow pull it all together. and it mostly did, though there are still a lot of loose ends in my brain.

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I finally got around to finishing this. I rewatched the first two seasons immediately beforehand and I'm glad I did. I would have been completely lost.

I think there were some missteps, mainly losing "our" Jonas, the version of the character we had been following the whole time. Once he got killed we didn't have an anchor. I got confused as to which Jonah knew what, as I did with alternate Martha. With the limited time they had left, I wish we hadn't spent so much time on a first season remix. I was able to guess what happened to alternate Helge; I didn't need to see Ulrich bash in his face again.

One of my favorite parts of the finale was when "Adam" and "Eve" realized that things were going to change and they didn't have to keep up to stupid "game" anymore.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
    tom and darthcaedus1138 like this.