main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode IX Box Office Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Marathonjedi77, Dec 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    So Spiderman; Far from Home is opening in the US today, or actually it already had limitid previews at midnight - reports now it made about $ 3 mill. It also has a six day opening ( i don`t like those and did not like it when the prequels did not open on a Friday either), which means less fun for statistics. Sony has downplayed the opening, a shocking $ 125 mill over 6 days - its gonna make much more than that.

2. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Supposedly, the site Pulse (don't know much about it) has shut down which people used to track films. Also, something going on with Fandango tracking, making it hard to follow box office trending.

3. Othini

Dec 6, 2012
    ^ Whats you take on the OD for it? I have no clue, because its a Tuesday ( hello!) and pre July 4th,is the weather good in Texas? :cool:

I plan to see the movie in the weekend. I like Tom Hollands Spiderman version a lot.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  4. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Spider-Man: Homecoming made $154.2M over 6 days so that kind of a number would indeed not be good. As a sequel to SM:H, it should be more frontloaded though launching mid-week will totally hide it in the FSS multiplier, but shouldn't in the days it takes to obtain 90% of its gross number I also use for comparisons.

5. Othini

Dec 6, 2012
    I am also seing people predicting $ 200 mill over 6 days - i admit $ 154 mill is not great, but yes, its launching on a weekday. China numbers are already great, but they are still in the «childhood» of experiencing Spiderman - just can`t see a Marvel fatigue to hit the US audience now. This summer is not showing good opening numbers, but both Spider and Toy Story 4 will probably have good legs into July, its not a lot of competition except Lion King.

6. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Toy Story 4 got upticked in it's second weekend domestically by nearly $2 million. It essentially made $60 million this past weekend and is still on pace to beat out Toy Story 3 which again did a $400/1 billion+ split. Toy Story 4 is still being bashed for it's box office total in some circles. It has a good chance to be the biggest "G" movie in history. Again expectations by some "trade insiders" is just too big especially since as we talk about before, there is some cannabolism going on with all these blockbusters which Disney expected but decided it was okay because Disney+ was their main concern.

7. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Regardless of my feelings of TLJ - no way I'd be watching that. Looks like hot garbage. But that's me - have fun to all who do see it and I hope you enjoy.

8. RP McMurphy

RP McMurphy Jedi Knight

Feb 8, 2018
    There's some great video out there of exit-polling for the PT...

There's certainly a feeling that some fans will love it no matter what and others will hate it no matter what. I'll be waiting to see the movie before adding it to any good or bad list of mine.

Luke02 and Darth Buzz like this.
  9. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Exactly @RP McMurphy and honestly that is what good fans do. They do not just gobble everything up hook, line and sinker but also not cynics either. The extremes in the Star Wars base have IMHO ahead on their skiis for my taste. To me I look at the Disney Era so far as a net positive for Star Wars as a whole but that doesn't mean I don't have some problems with some of what has come out which I won't go into since it's a topic for a different day.

10. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Still there is a difference between looking forward for a movie and thinking positive or going all in with negativity and making up my mind that the movie will be bad before I've seen it..

11. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Yes I agree @KyleKartan and some fans are already hating on TROS saying it will suck no matter what while some others are in the opposite boat saying it will be awesome no matter what. The hyperbole on both extremes is not useful or really welcome IMHO. I am excited for TROS but I must be honest and say my excitement for TROS is not what it could been after TLJ. I said before that coming into this year Episode IX was not the movie/content I was most excited to watch and that is true. If you told me that in mid 2017 I say you were crazy. So yes while I remain a optimistic and hopeful fan I am more guarded after TLJ. I do admit that.

alwayslurking likes this.
  12. Othini

Dec 6, 2012
    This is typical Deadline reporting: :confused:

Industry estimates have Sony/Marvel’s Spider-Man: Far From Home averaging around $43 million in its opening day, with the possibility it might be seriously higher or as low as $38M. Those figures include the $2.8M-$3M midnight showtimes.

13. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Aladdin's the flippin' energizer bunny! Wow! Gonna get close to $350 million domestic and at least painfully close to $1 billion WW.

End Game has a real shot at Avatar. It's going strong-ish here with the "re-release" (or whatever you call it). Will probably end up around $860 million in NA whereas it was looking lucky to hit $840 million just a little bit ago.

I have no real intention to see SM: FFH. I read the synopsis. To me it sounds dull as hell. Wait for video. LK's the one I'm waiting for.

Knives Out looks intriguing, but won't see it. No true interest. But I will say that I bet you anything Katherine Langford is being consisdered for Ariel. She's trained vocally in many different styles and has the Ariel look (and even dyed her hair red this year for a bit). At least we KNOW one person who won't be considered: Bella Thorne. Yikes! The long-running rumor has been Zendaya and, while I think she'd be great, there would be an awful lot of confusing marketing issues with the classic Little mermaid stuff.

There are rumors about Melissa McCarthy considered for Ursula (probably just rumors) but supposedly they have officially cast 2 peeps:
    Jacob Tremblay: Flounder
    Awkwafina: Skuttle (who will be a diving bird to shoot under water scenes)
    I would expect a decent amount of cast members to be announced in August along with a release date. I really wonder if they can get it out by May, 2021. If they can streamline and start filming before the year ends then it's possible.

qui-gon-chan and ChrisLyne like this.
  14. Othini

Dec 6, 2012
    Jacob Tremblay as a young Jedi student with Kristen Stewart ( think she is a great actress) as the first female Sith lord on screen. Soundtrack by Thom Yorke. What you waiting for Benioff and Weiss.

15. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
  16. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    If the theaters truly wanted to save smaller films, then they listen to what George Lucas and Steven Spielberg said years ago and simply drop the prices of them to $5 throughout their run. People are not going to spend big money ($10 or more typically a ticket) to go see a romantic comedy or some drama they can basically the same experience at home for a fraction of the cost six months (or sooner) earlier but if the tickets were cheaper then more people be willing to go. Then again I think it's mute anyway because the model will continue to change with more and more streaming services coming. The smaller films will just be for those and really leave the box office for big tentpole movies..and even some of those will be moved to streaming.

KyleKartan, Def Trooper and Solo88 like this.
  17. skybender

skybender Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2017
    I hate to be that person considering I always loved going to the movies, but Toy Story 4 had to be one of the least enjoyable experiences I ever had in the theater between the little kids that were way too young to sit through a movie and the swearing teenagers busy gossiping and texting rather than actually watching the movie. It was an interesting mix, that's for sure, and one that made it hard to focus on the movie. I finally understood the gripe that is a much more enjoyable experience sitting in the pleasure of your own home, watching a movie on a HD TV. I actually hope that cinema goes that direction now.

18. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    Just got back from Spiderman. it was good the end credit scene left me shocked

Well Robert Patterson is Batman so the other Lead of Twilight can be a Sith Lord XD

Kole, Luke02 and Othini like this.
  19. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    First of all, you need to tweet at Daisy Ridley and explain to her that her quotes today in USA Today don't make any sense and she has no idea what she's talking about. Because she acknowledged the problem and in fact said she wasn't surprised by it, as Disney was clearly doing something different with TLJ. She didn't agree or disagree with it one way or another, but she certainly acknowledged it wasn't just a few fans. And she would know better than any of us on this thread. She certainly didn't say that after TFA, because your claim about TFA being followed by a lot of complaining is unfounded. Because it's clear TFA was very well received compared to TLJ.

I would actually agree with you that all the SW movies prior to and after TLJ are masterpieces. They would all be on my list of top 15 movies of all time. The difference with me is that I actually wait to decide whether something is a masterpiece until I see it. It doesn't automatically qualify as one of my faviorites because it's a SW movie. The odds are pretty good, but I do have to see the movie first. The fact that you've already decided ROS is one of your favorite movies is your prerogative. But don't feel sorry for people who actually wait to see the movies before declaring it a favorite. Those people are actually engaging in the work of art as opposed to being sycophantic about it. No artist would ever want to hear that someone would consider their art a masterpiece or one of their favorites before they've even experienced it. It's preposterous. Any artist worth their salt, including even RJ, would reject that kind of loyal response, because at the very least, you're saying the artist's choices don't even matter in the end.

I want Episode 9 to break the box office record. I hope it beats Avatar, or End Game, or whatever is number one by then. I think it has a shot if JJ nails it.

But the movie has no shot at all if it is even remotely like TLJ. Can we agree with that?

20. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Funny how the Knives Out trailer is already getting mixed reaction - some like it some hate it sound familiar.........

Obironsolo and 2Cleva like this.
  21. Othini

Dec 6, 2012
    Yeah, sounds like every Star Wars movie released after 1980...;)

Kole and KyleKartan like this.
  22. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Sounds like people that don't like TLJ are saying it's bad. I'm shocked.

23. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    I have no idea if Knives Out will be good or not... but based on that trailer, I predict it bombs at the box office. Time will tell.

2Cleva likes this.
  24. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    You like TLJ, right?

25. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Knives Out looks like it's a lot of fun. The mystery genre doesn't really draw big crowds, so I wouldn't expect it to make a ton of money regardless of the director and the unnecessary vitriol thrown his way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.