main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Understanding Christianity

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Try to think of purgatory as a kind of concentration camp run by heaven's Homeland security. Try not to ask questions about why there are so many unbaptised children incarcerated there.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Juliet316, CT-867-5309, grd4 and 3 others like this.
  2. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Oh, I know the answer to that last one: angelic red tape. They just can't fill the forms properly for processing.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    I would counter with the fact that when you amass money, many many other people are also enriched, employed and benefit from your hard work.

It's a good thing.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    This prosperity gospel party line is so tiresome. I miss the days when protestants were cool and would organize in violent revolutions to establish anarchist communes. Make Anabaptism Great Again, basically.

CT-867-5309, Rew, tom and 5 others like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Many other people can be employed by and benefit from someone amassing money, provided that the person amassing money hires people at a living wage and donates his or her wages to charities that feed the hungry and shelter the homeless.

When wealthy people hoard their money for themselves, complain about “having to” raise the price of their product due to a new minimum wage or health care requirement which might interfere with their ability to enlarge their mansion unless they raise the price of their product, oppose environmentally sound policies because the inability to turn their country into an asphalt jungle would interfere with their profits (Koch Brothers), or express disdain and contempt for poor people and act on their disdain—no one benefits except said rich person and their buddies.

6. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    pah. or phht. Or some form of guffaw. The Christian god has built a mansion for you in heaven. But if you happen to already have one, that just means She really, really likes you already. #nothinglefttoprove

7. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    The ongoing concentration of wealth at the top in the USA, who have never been richer and with richer billionnaires than ever, while median wages nominally stagnated for a decade, points to the opposite: money follows the same principles as gravity; the more it concentrates, the more it pulls, the less it lets escape.

8. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    This is a fact? Oh, do tell...

9. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Ok, so let's say you limit personal wealth at a billion dollars.

Would

A) More people

B) Less people

C) about the same number of people

be employed by Amazon?

Or WalMart?

10. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    D) Less people per dollar.

11. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Meaning?

12. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Meaning that a lesser share of a dollar made today in the USA by a billionnaire actually trickles back down to working-class people than did ten years ago.

13. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Do you think this is what Jesus wanted for this world? People getting super rich, living the high life, and maybe some wealth trickling down to the rest of us?

14. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    That's not an answer to my question.

Again, you didn't answer the question.

I believe Jesus has no issue, for or against, making a lot of money as long as you follow His teachings, including charity. Why do you suppose it is that Republicans give so much more to charity than Democrats?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/03/your-money/republicans-democrats-charity-philanthropy.html

The more Republican a county is, the more its residents report charitable contributions, the study found.

The researchers said this finding fell within the broad political tendencies of traditional Republicans who favor less government intervention and more donations from the private sector to make up for the lack of government assistance.

“Their preference is to provide for the collective good through private institutions,” said Professor Nesbit. “But we don’t know what type of institutions they’re giving to.”

15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Why did Jesus consider it harder for a camel to fit through the eye of the needle than it is for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God? What qualities about being rich made it very difficult for the rich to go to heaven?

16. robert martins

robert martins Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2018
    For some people with nothing many people posting here are super rich in their eyes. Who decides who is rich? I know some people who consider me rich but I do not even remotely think of myself as that. I also know some people who I consider rich but they think i'm crazy for thinking it.

Sarge likes this.
  17. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    No, it's pointing out you're asking the wrong question. The number of people employed tells you nothing about how a higher concentration of riches effects their standard of living. Their shrinking share of riches as the concentration at the top increases does.

18. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Considering this is the Christianity thread, I'm pretty sure it's Jesus who decides.

J-Rod, Rew, Ghost and 5 others like this.
  19. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    ... Deus vult?

Daddy is the boss, remember? :p

20. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    People get caught up trying to tell who is acquiring their wealth in a godly way and who isn't. Is your restaurant chain closed on Sundays? Does its charitable foundation contribute to anti-LGBT causes? If so: godly. Keep in mind though that all Jews are rich because of a super-secret global political-financial cabal, and not because their God has singled them out for wealth. It gets complicated.

21. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Where can I buy the 30 points of IQ needed to follow this train of thought?

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This belongs here. It’s from a charitable organization to which I make regular donations, one that helps people who are one utility or rent payment away from homelessness. It’s not Christian specific but it can relate to the ideology of Jesus, who did not have disdain for poor people.

Poverty: the newest “dirty” word

blackmyron likes this.
  23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It helps when you actually meet and talk to and become friends with people who have dealt with poverty. It absolutely helps my understanding, for instance, to have a brother who lives below the poverty line. I suspect many people in the middle class don't know as many folks who struggle with having food to eat.

24. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I think it's worth noting that the Bible was not initially designed for well-established, upper-middle-class white folks. It was written with the general message that believing in the word of God would deliver you from evil and is generally a message of hope for people who were poor. As Hebrews 13:5 states,*
    "Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said 'I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.'"​
    The general message here is that Christians "need not want" (as Psalm 23 states it) because they are protected. This is the narrative of the volume itself, but of course, this message is mixed. 1 Timothy 6:7-8 as well as Matthew 6:19-21 suggest that a Christian's sole purpose is to put their faith in God and not rely upon their property for pleasure, with the general idea of what awaits them in the afterlife will be much better. Having grown up as an Evangelical, I can say this is the message I always heard on wealth and money (when I wasn't being told that God thinks I should give more to the Church). Matthew 6:24 also generally aligns with this concept.

The Second Testament also has two other messages on wealth. There's the "Jesus says give up all your wealth and join a commune" narrative and the "return on investment" narrative. The first has already been discussed ad nauseam but the point is built somewhat solidly. I have no additional quotes to add to this narrative. The return on investment narrative is interesting. As Luke 6:38 says, "Give, and it shall be given unto you." There are a few different passages which say that if you give to the poor you will receive as much back. That could mean you'll get more "in the afterlife" but most don't read that way, at least in the context of their chapters alone. Also - Proverbs 3:9-10 implies as a rich person as long as you "honor" God with your spending then you can be righteous. It's complicated. In general, the Second Testament suggests that greed is bad and if you're not contributing to strengthening your community and helping the poor, you're the worst.

*my quotes are KJV because I grew up in the "KJV only" part of the Bible Belt. Sorry.

25. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    As distasteful as I find political partisanship, if I were to hazard a guess, I would talk about how counties that tend to vote Republican also tend to be poorer; which dovetails with my point that the wealthy tend to be less charitable than the poor, despite...y’know...having more money with which to be charitable...

Predictable chest-thumping assertion about moral superiority of Republicans in 3...2...1...