main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Engage!" - Star Trek: Picard Discussion Thread [Paramount+/CraveTV]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Voider, May 16, 2019.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    And miss a potshot at the local vintage? Never! :p

dp4m likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The line on Countdown and the Discovery tie-in stuff is canon but it comes from the writers of the products themselves (who work with the movie/TV writers) but none of them has had the official CBS Holy Declaration of Canon. But honestly, I'm pretty liberal with my tie-in product canon, unless it's directly contradicted by the films or TV shows, it's all canon. Even the TNG/X-Men dangit! So right now I don't see anything in that teaser that consists of vineyards and Picard looking bummed that explicitly bounces Countdown comic from canon, right now.

I never got into the Destiny Star Trek relaunch books cuz I had a feeling the TNG era was going to come back anyway.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    Iron_lord and PCCViking like this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I never much cared for Beverly. Is that an unpopular opinion? Anyway, just never found her interesting, or well-acted.

4. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    what, you didn't like the sexy candle episode? or the leotard? My favorite episode with Beverly was when she was teaching Data how to dance. Good times!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    There were a couple Crusher-centric episodes that I liked well enough ("Remember Me" and that one that introduced the Trill) and her plot in the Worf-breaking-his-back episode was good, but she was probably the most underutilized of the main cast. From season 3 on she was mostly just the doctor who appeared when they needed doctor stuff done.

6. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Midnight's edge isn't a trustworthy source. They are just a bunch of haters who make stuff up.

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, she was very good in that scene. Spiner and McFadden played well together. But generally, when she speaks, I hear ACTING! (tm)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Fifi Kenobi likes this.
  8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Weird that the woman who isn't an actress in quite the same way, but is a professional dance choreographer and dancer, was best in the episode where she teaches dancing and that people don't like her acting. :p

AhsokaSolo and Sarge like this.
  9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/picard-has-a-dog-now-1836249496

[​IMG]

10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    “You are named after the dog?!”

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm already

[​IMG]

in anticipation of the Riker's arched eyebrow when he reads the collar in the inevitable cameo.

12. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    "Jean Wick Picard": "The Borg had better not harm my dog."

:p

13. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    “Number One, why did you Number Two?”

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Both the teaser and the poster seem to indicate that it's alot of Picard hanging out on his Vineyard. Bold!

15. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Having loved the Picard character yet often being bored senselessly by TNG itself, I'd say that sounds great.

16. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    And in Picard's case, bald. :p

17. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I can't decide if the cliched "I'm a badass looking over my shoulder" look is cool or stupid.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Impossible to tell until the dog does it in the next poster.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

So we had some initial reactions in the general thread. But some unexpected details there ripe for speculation.

With Seven's inclusion and what seems to be a captured/salvaged Borg Cube. Could this be either hinting at, continuing or incorporating aspects of the Hive miniseries into the show? I forget how that series ended but including Seven and Picard in a Borg storyline can't help but reach that initial conclusion.

Also announced: Jonathan Del Arco is returning as Hugh! So we'll finally have some continuation of the Rogue Borg plotline (particularly interesting if he ever meets Data/B4 again).

The girl he's protecting- a new Borg Queen? Some carrier of the Collective? The last Borg is in captivity, the galaxy is at peace...

[​IMG]

We also get to see what have to be Klingon ships as well.

One wonders if the Data we see is B4-become-Captain Data ala Countdown, a holodeck recreation of Data for the game or a reassembled Data from those parts.

Speaking of those parts- If he has every piece of Data, then some part of that is literally a junk drawer.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    definitely getting a Borg-centric overall plot to at least S1 and I can't quite buy that if Picard has to go off and do a whole Borg thing that Seven/Anika Hansen would just be like "Good luck, Picard!" Speaking of her, it was fun to see her come off as rather human in her few lines but I hope she can still cite chapter and verse Borg records and data.

21. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    I thought it would be concentrating on the Romulans? [face_thinking]

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    Darth Caliban and Juliet316 like this.
  23. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    They could be an evolution of the Romulan Valdore-type.

Edit: and Last Best Hope is a novel, not a comic.

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    Darth Caliban and The2ndQuest like this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The Countdown mini for 2009's Star Trek was great, I'll pick this one up because it looks like the same team (and it seems more directly related to what happened with Picard while the novel looks more like about the other crewmembers). The Khan mini was great too, the Countdown to Into Darkness was.... well it had young female Bajorian Mudd in it and Captain Robert April, that was neat but very superfluous to the movie itself. (Khan mini is the much better as a prequel tie in even though the framing story takes place after the movie)

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    cast panel about Picard from Hugh, Riker and Seven!

https://trekmovie.com/2019/08/05/st...alks-sevens-new-voice-rikers-return-and-more/

Interesting point from Jeri Ryan, trying to wrap her head around Seven not being as clipped as she was 20 years ago

Honestly, it was freaking terrifying, and these two [Frakes and Del Arco] can attest to that! They both saved my ass! I was freaking out. She was a very specific character for four years on Voyager. There was a lot of growth, and all of that. She went from being a machine to learning to be human. But, particularly the way she moved and her voice, that was what I was really hung up on. Her voice didn’t change that much in four years. So, she had a stilted, very formal, very stylized way of speaking, at the end of Voyager. So, when I got the initial script, and from I knew from the original pitch with James [Duff] a year and a half ago, she is not the same Seven. She is much more human. She been on Earth for a long time, she has been through a lot. So, when I saw that initial script and as you saw “what the hell are you doing out here?” It’s a very, very different voice. And that is what was freaking me out.

So I was happy because Johnny [Del Arco] was working before I did and he said: “once you get in costume, it helps.” And it does. It informs the way the character moves and the way the character stands and that kind of thing. But, I was having a real hard time with her voice. I just couldn’t hear her in these lines. I couldn’t find it and it was really freaking me out to the point where my husband was like: “I have seen you get freaked out by a script, ever.” And so thank God this one [Jonathan Frakes] was directing my first two episodes. And Johnny [Del Arco] worked before I did, so he had just gone through all of this himself.

I was literally freaking out. I was bursting into tears: “I don’t know what her voice is! I can’t find her.” So, Johnny came over and we had lunch and read the script for like an hour and finally he just – I was so freaked out I couldn’t think clearly about it – he said after an hour: “just try this, what if…” The Borg have always been hated, they are universally hated because they were bad guys, they were tough. But, there’s other elements in this world with the Borg. And, what if she had to make the choice to be as human as possible, to survive, to sound as human and act as human as possible. Clearly, she is always going to look like a former Borg, because she has these implants that cant go away. So, what if she had to make that choice – a conscious choice – to sound as human as possible. And that’s all I needed. That’s what I needed! I just needed something for it to make sense as an actor as to why she would have that huge of a chance. Then it made sense to me. I was still freaking out in my first scene.

Also, random fan speculation post I read, but "what the hell are you doing here, Picard?" = maybe Seven is running a Former Borg Drone retreat or something. Oddball idea but not entirely impossible either.

Also, just extrapolating about maybe Janeway coming back, if the entire Borg crisis in Picard is created by a Crazed Admiral Janeway that would tick off a huge chunk of Trek fans but I’d kinda love it. Janeway always seemed kinda extreme in some of her choices in Voyager that they papered over and it really turns out every Admiral in Star Trek is either just an exposition piece or completely evil. Or Kirk. Who got demoted anyway.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019