main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Hapes Fan Club-for Queen and Consortium!

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Darth Invictus, Feb 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Now, I have only read CoPL, YJK: Lightsabres and The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons regarding the Hapes Consortium but based on what I remember from those books so is the way I would describe how the Consortium is organised something along this lines:
    * The old noble families, including the royal one, are the decedents of the original pirate families and each control an area of the Consortium, usually their own ancestral area and then some - often a continent or even a whole system. Many of the younger noble families also have areas that they control but not all. The noble families live of (or more often, try to) what their lands can produce and gain or lose land by buying/selling it or as the queen wills. This means that many times are a noble family the ruling group of a planet or system.
    * Not all continents/planets/systems/other have an established owner or belongs to the crown and who gets control, or are denied control, of those areas are important parts of the Consortium's political game.
    * Not all noble families are old, and not all old noble families are important or powerful.
    * each planets/systems is it's own area with it's own culture, costumes and laws (similar to the States in USA) - this means that some planets treat their menfolk similar to Saudi Arabia (or possibly worse), while on other planets the males have a social standing comparable to women in 1980's USA (more or less). Also male members of the nobility many times have more freedom than non-noble males.
    * I have not any idea if the Consortium have a one or chamber/s parliament but it has a parliament of some kind.

---------------------

Some other points I would do based on only the stuff I have read:
    * Teneniel Djo took an entourage of Dathomirians with her to Hapes, in a way do they function as her Varangian Guard.
    * The whole CoPL adventure, which ended with the Consortium's most after sought bachelor coming back with a barbarian witch-princess as his new fiancée + she had other Dathomirians with her and Dathomir become a protectorate of the Consortium (with a station there) lead to a new fashion trend inspired by Dathomir fashion (or rather the Hapans idea of Dathomir fashion). This trend, which also included a fashion for outdoor lifestyles, have waxed and waned but never gone away.

* I can see a trend among nobles in trying to be accepted among Dathomir clans (or at least live "the Dathomir lifestyle" for a period), get their own rancorn, and or witch advisor after CoPL, etcetera.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The point I'm trying to make is:

"Isolder approves of Witches murdering Dathomirian males for siring other males on them"

is not actually supported in the text.

For that matter, it being a common practice for Witches to be murdering their mates purely for siring males on them, is not supported in The Courtship of Princess Leia either.

Maybe some later source, for Nightsisters - but not for "standard Witches".

Gamiel likes this.
  3. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Kessel Run Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

May 11, 2016
    Keep in mind Nighsisters are considered evil by the witches among others because they treat men equally.
    From what I found though you are right the practice seemed to have only applied to Allya herself, at least that´s how its in the german wiki.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Since when? The Nightsisters only start treating men equally long after TCOPL - in YJK (a specific point is made of how this is a very new thing)- and that's never described as an evil practice in itself.

I'd like to see a better source that just the wiki. Allya might be a fallen Jedi - but her first commandment in the Book of Law is "never concede to Evil" - That doesn't fit with her being an out-and-out murderess.

ColeFardreamer and Gamiel like this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I tried with 'children' also and found non

What lordy said.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Accrding to the wiki and apprently this is in the essential atlas, she was darksider for a time and wrote her first code that the nightsisters use, during this time she killed her mates if the kid was a boy. Near the end of her life she abbandoned that and came to that "never concede to evil" this is the code the witches have. Wich is still insane, coming from a bunch of at minimum slavers, likley rapists.

You are right that´s in YJK searching for the quote right now, I think TK grandmother calls it evil though.

Edit: No she doesn´t you are right on that.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Just to go back to the original text regarding Dathomir, this is what my pdf says:

Also it never states that Allya wrote the book of law, what I have seen.

EDIT: we seems to be talking about Dathomir more than Hapes right now. Should we move this to another thread?

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Couldn't find anything about that on the Dathomir page of The Essential Atlas.

Book of Sith does have Mother Talzin claim that "never concede to evil" was not Allya at all, but historical revisionism on the part of Allya's successors.

ColeFardreamer and Anedon like this.
  9. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I see, then I´ll concede the point. Maybe I misread, still think the witches are terrible people though.

But as we are on the witches @Darth Invictus, could we possibly turn this thread into a Hapes and Dathomir fanclub? I mean the two are pretty interlinked.

Thanks, @Gamiel for the quotes.

10. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Dathomir is linked to tenel ka and her mother, but not the Hapans as a whole.

I get the impression the Hapans combine a modern and somewhat pseudo medieval society. With the aristocracy having its ownership of land and what I imagine major shares in hapan corporations, but with new mercantile blood emerging. It's probably more fluid than the 8,000 year families of Game of Thrones, with noble families going extinct, rising, and perishing.

Gamiel likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    There is now a Dathomir Fan Club - from kwa to witches! thread for Dathomir only stuff.

I think the way Bauhaus, from Mutant Chronicles RPG, work maybe is something similar to how Hapes work, but probably without something like the Duke Electors families. The link don't give their system justice, I really recommend reading the original supplement book to fully get the system

12. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Here's a question - where do nonhumans feature in the Consortium?

Lightsabers from YJK featured one nonhuman ambassador (a Mairan, octopus-like aquatic species as I recall) from a Consortium world, but I'm pretty sure that's the only time. The rest of Hapes-related media seems to assume everybody's human. At least, that I can recall.

13. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Female point of view? I guess that depends on if you are asking Adalia or her alter ego the woman who lives on Earth?

On Dathomir, 'rape' is insinuated, can confirm. Isolder was accepting of their ways, also can confirm. These cultures did attract my attention, as a woman who was raised in a society where the implication was 'get married and have kids, be a housewife' (it was a different era people, I was born in the 60's) I found the society where women had power, choices and were in the position men had been in all my life somewhat appealing. Although 'feeding men to Rancors' (something the women rode) was rather disgusting. There is a scene in CoPL there Luke is taken and we all know his last thought before he is knocked out. "You can't just take men for................" She begged to differ.

Example of reverse? In countries like India and China, there are backwater societies who still 'blame' the woman when a female child is born, and often the woman is either forced to murder her own child or suffers to the fate as her husband is allowed to kill them both. WTH!?!? This is our planet.

Whilst I certainly do not condone rape on any level, I do know there are those out there who find the concept of a 'woman taking charge' rather intoxicating. I would also like to think that interacting with the rest of the galaxy would be (in Both Cultures on both worlds) a spark to guide them to better ways. Like Earth, who is moving toward equality on all levels (and in some cases not blooming fast enough) both Hapes and Dathormir would be looking to other cultures and saying 'Hey, that might help or do us good?' At least some of the men seeing what other men in other cultures are doing thinking 'Hey I can do that!' Just as women in our culture have done over the years. Even myself, I used to say as a teenager 'naw Archery is a mans sport.' back in the early 80s, and last weekend I took out the Archery Club Champion Trophy in my age group 5th year in a row. As a race we have evolved, and quickly, so I would like to think that the Hapians and Dathomirians had also done so to a certain point.

That's the RL Me, above. Adalia?

A wry smile and a smirk. 'Yeah, like this one..............' ;) @Anedon is currently working with this character he will confirm she is no push over and is happy to order men around or take them on physically. ;)

SiouxFan and Anedon like this.
  14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Hmm, I don’t know of any other references to non humans of the consortium. Hapes has always been identified as a human culture and polity.

Non human aliens in the consortium though is an interesting and apparently under looked aspect of the consortium.

Gamiel and Adalia-Durron like this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    They are most likely all citizens, part of the Consortium but unable to become nobles (unless some of them are, we have no indications of any non-human nobles but at the same time have nobody said that only humans can be nobles), most likely each of the non-human species that originated in the Consortium or already had colonised an area in the nebula when the Consortium was created have some special rights to their ancestral land (which could be a whole system) and most likely have some other special rights protecting their ancient ways of living. There is possibly also possible that they have some special obligation.

16. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Thx for this great compilation and highlighting some long overlooked details! I will add my own notes later for you!

Few ever truly showed or got the Hapan diversity in that males are treated not the same on all worlds. One world treats them as braindead cyborg army even. Outside of COPL only Dark Journey referenced it I think, or the tie in short story to it with Hapan bio/gentech.

I wish we'd gotten some art of the new dathomiri Hapan fashion...

But most important of all now, Teneniels entourage of Dathomiri she took with her to Hapes. Might those include some of her sisters or relatives have found a hapan male and fathered Taryn and Trista Zel? Or are they clearly on Isolders part of the family related?

Regarding a parliament or such, Hapes seems to have non, at least had none. Maybe that changed. But the Queen has advisors that may or may not belong to a council. Nobles at least meet regularly but if they use government buildings for that or rather do it on the go at parties and balls? Hapans though do have a judical system that has to deal with quite a lot of intrigue and squabbling as well as runaway males, wannabe pirates and the like. So maybe these judical halls double as government buildings, given Hapan politics basically are intrigue, the Queen's court can be a literal court she is judging over. Given many people and nobles bring matters directly to the monarch to settle, it does seem like this is one variant they do it.

Another issue, the Hapan Protectorate that Dathomir became in later sources is sadly ignored until Allston revived it in FOTJ with male clans and many innovations on Dathomir alone. Tradestations and all included. But before that, when Vong invade Dathomir in a 6 month ground battle and loose, or even earlier with Empire returning to Dathomir post COPL (WOTC adventures and sourcebooks told about it!) and even YJK times, Dathomir seems rather un-Hapan and protected. I wish it to be explained how Hapans featured into all these conflicts and why or why not they were there. Teneniel and Tenel Ka both sure would not let Dathomir unprotected or fall to the Empire. All in all, the Empires return was merely a stint with not total domination of the planet I guess. Anyway, thoughts?

We know nonhumans, like Mairans exist and that they have Ambassadors as others pointed out. But I'd say, Mairans living in the ocean are special because they do not bother humans living on land. They do not seek governance and are content with trade and to each its own. So Hapans mostly ignore them save the amabssador business for regulating any conflicts with fellow species or humans. Other aliens probably have long been eliminated, especially landbased ones or those that do not fit hapan beauty standards. I mean, given their fixation they might think some aliens ugly and try to purge them in the past. Simply even to avoid interspecies relations and offspring to dilute their beauty gene pool.
    But lets not forget the Hapans are not averse to new and different cultures if it benefits them. As Gamiel pointed out, them adopting dathomir designs shows they are willing to change, even if it is only to what they think might please the Queenmother to get more power and recognition from her. Then again a consortiium closed off from the galaxy probably just ran out of fashion trends repeating old cycles severa times over and thus jumped on the fresh input of dathomiri design and materials.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    I know its unlikely but: In Doctor Aphra: Worst among Equals the Imperial Minister for Propaganda mentions that 63 systems have recently capitulated to the Empire rather than face Imperial aggression due to her propaganda issues based on the Imperial model world Aphra is currently disurpting. Is it only me or does that number stick out as exactly the number of inhabited worlds in the Hapes Cluster? A subtle nod that Hapes has capitulated to the Empire in new canon? Our first stint of canon Hapes?

18. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Hapes is referenced in a canon guidebook, but only in passing in a map. The number seems to point to Hapes, but it could just be coincidental.

If they wanted to make it explicit, they could just say "Hapes has fallen to the empire" and introduce Hapes properly that way, as opposed to a vague numerical association, that only old EU fans would understand the significance of.

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Where did you get that information from?

Possibly

I think there is a parliament of some kind since there need to be a body that do the day to day business of governing and working out laws, decisions and stuff. The Ereneda of course has the last word on any decision that the parliament makes.

Both.

The way I would do it is that the Consortium have a sentry model spacestation in orbit around Dathomir and have turned the old Imperial prison area into main landing area for visiting traders, scientists and 'station-crew on planetleave.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood my post, all those points was how I would do Hapes not how it was. As in it's fanon not canon.

20. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The dathomiri and the Hapans are both inspired and go different directions in their taking from the Amazonian archetype. Warrior sorceresses riding rancor’s, and beautiful women plotting and scheming and being fantastically rich. Both draw on the same ancient concepts and impulses.

At some level, the concept of women being over men when throughout most of human history it has been the reverse, is alluring, frightening and fascinating for men. Whether that be dathomiri male slaves(or kept men in the Amazonian myth) or men in a position of social and political subordination as in on Hapes.

And for women, the Amazonian concept is appealing for the reasons you state.

21. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    COPL Hapes notes/quotes:

Coruscant is selling Isolder posters for fangirls in the streets.. (Can I get inuniverse Tenel Ka posters?)

Taá lies to Luke as Isolder later clarifies:
    Taá's mother, when Taá was younger, allowed ca. 50 Jedi to take refuge in the Cluster after Order 66, hiding and founding an academy in the ancient ruins/caves on Reboam. But "Vader and his dark knights" entered the Cluster and destroyed them sealing the ruins. (dark knights? Inquisitors!)
    Still I wonder if there is truth in said lie. Her mother hated the Jedi as did the Emperor as they later admit, but did 50 Jedi indeed seek refuge and were lured into a trap instead? Do the ruins exist? Did the Hapans kill the Jedi themselves or let Vader and Inquisitors in to do it for them?

Also COPL has interesting technology: Isolders personal shield can be thrown like Captain Americas and cut enemies in half with its energy edges!

Which guide and map was that? I got them all but did not see Hapes on the map? Was it deliberately placed or just leftover from previous Legends maps of Atlas like many other worlds are?

Well Charubah's cyborg army in COPL consists of only men. Cyborging is a serious process and I doubt the men got to choose it. Maybe it was a punishment to be cyborged or it was decided on top of their heads anyway. The same world that presented the Gung of Command that can turn armies willingless does not seem to be very much into the fair treatment and choice game.

22. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Another observation from COPL before later usage muddied the waters and added here and there to their history:

Hapes and Dathomir both are not only female dominated amazon societies, they both are isolated from the galaxy. One by choice, the other by force. The technological more modern seeming society ends up being more backstabbing and evil-ish than the backwater natureloving society which even is open to change, settlement and interaction with the larger world outside their world. Both societies are said to having had contact with the Jedi, Dathomir via Chuuntor and Yoda, even Allyas exile. Hapes via Order 66 refugees seeking a safe haven and being betrayed and slaughtered, or if more ancient, the ancient past conflicts of Jedi and Sith that lead to Hapes closing its boarders keeping to itself.
    There are many more such paralells even! The entire story is crafted like that.
    Isolder loves Leia, Teneniel loves Luke. Isodler and Teneniel end up together, Luke and Leia... well lets not go there, they had 4 years of fun before Kenobis joke was up thx to Yoda spoiling it. But more seriously: Isolder and Teneniel are both runaways kinda that flirt with changing their societies and very dominant mothers. Hapes and Dathomir show two different kinds of beauty which are in contrast to each other: Hapes is glamor due to breeding, medical tech and genecontrol whereas Dathomir is rough natural no-makeup, strong women beauty. Dathomir and Hapes are a special kind of Yin and Yang where not male and female is paired but two different kinds of female.

I wish we would get a modern COPL type story with modern problems of representation, diversity, equality and gender adressed. How would transgender people fare in Hapes or Dathomir? LGBTQ+ in Hapes or Dathomir? Is there a Hapan culture where men have to wear a burka? When will Aphra go to both these places to tell us?

(crossposted to the Dathomir topic for relevance)

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Most likely, most monarchies sell paintings and posters of the royal family.

Dark Side Elite?

Most likely the later, it's easier to let somebody else do the work and you get some diplomatic points with the Empire.

So we have finally found out the secret identity of Captain Hapes!
    :p

Where in CoPL is that stated? The passage mentioning the cyborg warrior says: "A man came forward to the sound of the music, a cyborg warrior dressed in full Hapan body armor, black with silver trim. He stood nearly as tall as Chewbacca, and strode purposely, pulled some sort of mechanical device from his arm, and laid it on the ground before Leia. [...] ("From the high-tech world Charubah, we offer a Gun of Command.")"
    There is no mention that the cyborg warrior is actually from Charubah (even if it's implied) and noting about that they are an all male organisation nor that they are braindead.

actually while we are talking about cyborgs so would I like to quote myself in another thread regarding cyborgs:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  24. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

I wonder if the Imperial Firebird Society ever had ties to Hapes when the Empire fiddled with Hapes. Given its an Imperial all women organisation and all that as per wotc.

Cap Hapes already has piled up more butt jokes than Cap America ever had!

Regarding cyborgs, yes I added some conjecture on my part for it is implied and I can't see beauty-centric females use cyborg tech on themselves, at least not the kind those warriors wore. We know Hapan operatives of Special Forces from wotc sourcebooks, including depiction in art, where they use some enhancements but not permanent cyborg tech.
    From NJO and YJK we know Hapans are not against protheses, but Tenel Ka is. Hapans even encourage them to restore a natural looking beauty but Tenel Ka is against anything that looks fake. Even to the degree she became a trendsetter that had other nobles refuse protheses. Well those though were stupid enough to cut themselves limbs off to get her favor (as per Denning).

So some points for further discussion maybe:

How much of Hapan beauty is natural and genetic and how much is modern medtech, make up, beauty-ops and the like? They are advanced in medtech and biotech as we know from NJOs Dark Journey tie in short story.

How stupid must inbred nobles be to voluntarily cut off limbs to gain favor? Or did the male suitor not get to decide this and their female superiors ordered them to? Yikes! Or was it just a gamble and Hapan medtech can store and reattach cut off limbs easily even weeks after given limbs placed in carbonite or else?

Hapan Aging: Do Hapans live longer than average humans due to a) genetic beauty lasting longer, meaning better cell regernation and regrowth. b) advanced medtech and c) healthy lifestyles in a society focused on preserving beauty at all costs for beauty is power?
    Taá chume is said to not look her age, she was what? In her 60s? And looked like she is between 20-30? Multiple tales, COPL, Dark Journey etc. mentioned younger men with her and that it was apparently normal on Hapes given age does not show as soon as elsewhere for humanity. So do they age slower/live longer? It would paralell the likewise longer living Dathomiri yet for them its due to Forceuse and lifestyle close to nature.

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You make it sound like cyborgtech has to be ugly.

did we actually get a description about how their implants looked? They may be highly fashionable while also being practical?

Do you remember which book? Also can you find any of the art to help illustrate for the ones who don't have it?

Do you remember what book mentioned that?

Not stupid, power hungry and/or desperate. And with the med-tech Hapes has so would it probably not hurt one bit.

I can see this as likely. And if not so could they probably get some kind of extreme realistic prosthesis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.