main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Dathomir Fan Club - from kwa to witches!

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Gamiel, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Hey all, this is a gathering for anyone, who likes, loves, or is interested in the lovely, magical, ancient, somewhat deadly and continuity headache giving planet Dathomir!

I hope this thread grows.

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    According to the wook' so was the Book of Shadows written by Gethzerion and in real life was it first mentioned in Cracken's Threat Dossier, not CoPL.

Also, in CoPL so was 'nightsister' a term for any witch that fell (possibly even a term for any lawless) and they had not been organized until Gethzerion came along. This was later retconed

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  3. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Good idea for a thread. I Hope this grows.

4. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    There is a rather rich culture on this world, and one that appealed to a younger version of me a great deal. When I read CoPL I was a newly married lady who was born in the 60's and the mandate was 'get married, have babies, be a good housewife'. Its not till I got older that things changed and opportunities afforded only the males in my world were no open to myself. I remember telling my Geology teacher in High School that I wanted to be a Geologist (yeah, exciting not!) but it never happened as the man looked me in the eye an laughed almost hysterically. "Women aren't Geologists!" he stated. Down in a blaze of failed glory, that's what happened to my goal that day, I never looked back at it till I was in my late 30's by then I had two little kids and no time to consider it. Husband said only two years ago, "its time, go study Geology" I laughed, its a six year degree, who in their right mind is going to employ a Geologist fresh out of University and looking to retire in 8 years? Yeah, missed it by that much.

The idea that the culture is totally reverse to what we, as women, lived for a thousands of years on this planet and in come cultures here are still living it. There are still women out there being tortured or being killed for giving birth to female children, and that's insane when we understand genetics. So the opposite culture was interesting to observe, and for a bit of fun indulge in mentally, but in over all its wrong in my mind. Equality is my mandate these days, and if my daughter said 'I want to be a Geologist' I'd be encouraging her to the fullest. On that front, she wants to be an International Peace Ambassador for Australia' and she is well on her way to that having just represented our nation at the Youth United Nations in Thailand last week at a Peace Conference. She was offered two jobs while there by members of the UN.........she is 22. This is what I mean, today's women have the opportunities that, only a generation ago, were out of reach. So I would like to think Dathomir, now seeing the outside galaxy, would be moving the same way. The men making a mark on the culture and moving away from the traditional roles. Of course there will always be the older generation who would fight this kind of progress, some people like the status quo, but the men on Dathomir (if only a small amount of them) Saw Han and Luke, even Isolder, they saw men who were no living in fear, who did what they had to and who were not afraid to stand up with a woman and call themselves equal - may not have been listened too or acknowledged, but they tried and voiced!

Anedon , BookExogorth, Ava G. and 2 others like this.
  5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Darth Maul meets a Nightsister in a comic published in 2000, long before any link between Maul and the Nightsisters was known to exist. She asks Maul if he knows what she is.

The fact that the Kwi were once the Kwa was established in the “Infinity’s End” comic, also published in 2000.

6. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    The Cartoon and comics don't seem to cover more than just the Night Sisters........they were not the only residents on Dathomir. The Warrior Class - the Witches had clans, with names that reflected their environments. These women were in abundance, and they knew the Nightsisters were no good. One rule held them all - like a ring even :p - "Never concede to evil".

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Anedon likes this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Why not just do it for yourself?

------------

movie this from the Hapes thread:
    Do you remember where you read that part? Because I don't remember it and can't find it in my CoPL pdf when I do searches.

We find out that in YJK: Shadow Academy so is Tenel Ka surprised to find out that her mother (Teneniel Djo) had captured Luke to be her husband when she was young and that she (Teneniel Djo) now was very much against that tradition.

8. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Exactly, it, like here on earth, was a different time.

9. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Kessel Run Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

May 11, 2016
    I can confirm its on two wikis(wookieepedia and the german jedipedia), and no the german text isn´t just a copied transalation of the english one, so I doubt the wiki people just invented it.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    They may have gotten it from a later, more obscure source like Cracken's Threat Dossier.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I'm not trying to say that it was not stated somewhere, just that it don't seems to be part of the original description, and I want to know where it is stated.

12. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    As I said yesterday, I don't know. I believe I've read it somewere somewhen. I thought it was in Courtship but it apparently isn't but I can't say where.
    But the fact that it is found in two different wikis I would say confirms it is in the books somewere.

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's possible that the same person edited both wikis.

14. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Given that the text surrounding it is pretty different I highly doubt that.

15. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Although I am a huge fan of the Republic comic series, I did not like the 'Infinity's End' arc, amongst others because of Quinlan Vos' depiction. It is very clear that John Ostrander did not write those issues.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  16. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    No comics really here, just books.

Anedon likes this.
  17. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Same with me, never been a huge comic fan.

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The lack of sourcing is problematic. Plus it's in the Witches of Dathomir entry but not in Allya's own entry.

This leads me to the conclusion that it should be treated as Dubious until someone can find the actual source for "Allya killed her mates whenever she birthed a son."

Gamiel likes this.
  19. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Well in the german wiki this is inside her article. So its defenetly no copy paste or same editor.

"In den folgenden Jahren vermählte sich Allya mit einer Reihe der männlichen Sklaven. Zuvor wurden den Männern die Folgen ihrer Entscheidung, die ihnen überlassen blieb, klar gemacht: Zeugten sie Töchter, so würden sie mit Geschenken und Macht über die anderen Sklaven belohnt werden. Entsprossen jedoch aus der Verbindung lediglich Söhne, so würden die Männer den Rancoren zum Fraß vorgeworfen werden."

"In the following years Allya married with a number of male slaves. Ahead of it the males were told of the consquences of their descision: If they concieved daughters they would be rewarded with gifts and power over the other slaves. But if the relationship concieved only sons the men would be fed to the Rancors."

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The English Allya article has none of that:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Allya

But the Witches of Dathomir (English) article is similar to the German Allya one:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Witches_of_Dathomir

These traditions insinuated that Allya reduced the population to willing subjugation in a single lifetime, with the few who did not follow her becoming food for the rancors; among her followers, favored slaves were offered the chance to become mates, in the knowledge that if they fathered sons, they would be fed to the rancors.

Maybe there are clues in the Edit History for each one?

The point is that the info is clearly not in Courtship of Princess Leia itself.

Gamiel likes this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You mean he is likable and don't constantly dance at the edge of the dark side? :p

You miss so much, you know.

General Immodet and Iron_lord like this.
  22. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    So I'm told, but comic books stores near me. Have to go into the city for that and I've not done that in years.............years.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  23. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Going by the edit history of the german one I would guess its either in New Essential Chronic or Crakens Thread Dossier, probably the later it seems.

And here it is @Gamiel, @Iron_lord Its on page 13 of Crackens Threat Dossier:

[​IMG]

ColeFardreamer and Gamiel like this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

Wonder why the author of that part of the Threat Dossier decided to ad that into the background of Allya & Dathomir. It dose not really feel that fitting with how it was presented in CoPL.

25. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Why does it not fit? Men are said to be slaves in courtship, so why does a revealtion that the witches abuse and sometimes kill these slaves not fit?