main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics The Rise of Kylo Ren 4 issue Comic by Charles Soule

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jid123Sheeve, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

We are officially getting a Knights of Ren Comic, this December staring Kylo, Luke and the Knights of Ren.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2019
  2. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Beat me to it by a second.

Edit: not really a second but you know.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Oh man! Lol.......Good thing, I'm never sure how new book information gets distributed on this sight page. Would hate to step over anyone's toes lol

4. MikeWW

MikeWW Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2019
    "December"
    Remember when lead ins actually lead in?????

5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

It still counts if it's BEFORE the movie ;p

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Oh I hope they are weird. Please be a bunch of weirdos, Knights O'Ren.

7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

If Luke is involved I'm curious if the KoR are Kylo Ren fellow student/Jedi learning buddies.

Charles Soule also calls it "From Ben to Ren"

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2019
  8. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    I'm surprised they're (only) telling this story in a comic. Not disappointed, just surprised

9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Probably because they don't wanna give away TOOOO much, but wanna build on the fact the KoR are in the movie. So a good middle ground, and then after 9 will get the book or TV show (Most likely a book but still...)

BigAl6ft6 and Darth Kickass like this.
  10. Darth Kickass

Aug 3, 2013
    I would have assumed a book and then a comic adaptation down the line, but you're probably right about not wanting to reveal too much.

11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

But...I think it's a good sign of where things are going post 9 when the box opens.

12. Darth Kickass

Aug 3, 2013
    I hope so, there's definitely more to that storyline than a four part mini can explore

13. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    With Luke being in this, but the series called the Rise of Kylo Ren, its probably going to only touch on the final days of the Academy.

But it will for certain create stepping stones future stories about Luke, Ben, and the other students.

14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I wonder if this will double down on the idea that the KoR are Luke’s former students

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Think we will get a date IU for this comic?

16. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    This series is great news in my opinion, and quite overdue. As a fan of his Darth Vader series, I find C. Soule an excellent choice for the writing duties, so I'm eager to see where this series is going!

17. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Luke may have a more prominant role in flashbacks. Most of this story is going to be about Kylo, not Ben. Luke never shared scenes with Ben after he became Kylo until crait.

So while having most of the story set post Acadamy fall, the writer sprinkles in young Ben and Luke flashbacks, contrasting Kylo Ren with his former self.

lovethedarkside likes this.
  18. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I got a feeling we're heading towards another Star Wars: Obi-Wan & Anakin type comic after this one or maybe even a NJO type book.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Soule writing Ben to Ren is amazing, although I have a feeling this'll be more of a Kylo and Pals type of story with some limited flashbacks (like the Anakin and Obi-Wan miniseries). Still shows they have so much content to cover in Episode IX that they had to shunt off a significant part of Kylo's backstory to a comic. But a fantastic writer of Dark Side Star Wars-ing to boot. His Darth Vader Vol 2 #25 is astoundingly good so great to see Soule gets to tackle it. If they can get Giuseppe Camuncoli to do the art it'd be gold.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    BobaMatt likes this.
  20. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I’m so excited for this. And I’m glad they chose to tell this story via comic. I think comics are the best medium outside of film/tv to tell a Star Wars story.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 and BobaMatt like this.
  21. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Rise of Kylo Ren has the potential to be awesome. Luke vs Kylo and his knights? I want to see that live action, but alas...

Tython Awakening likes this.
  22. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    It's probably not going to be very comprehensive - many of these types of releases so far have mostly been about one contained story, or a couple, like Shattered Empire, that sort of give us a smattering of helpful information rather than a real in depth coverage.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  23. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Probably not an exact one, but Pablo's been hinting on Twitter that Luke's exile lasted for around 5 years; that's a fair assumption considering Bloodine is 6 years before TFA, but I'd assume he'd have known about this (and any other Luke/Ben plans) when he made those comments.

24. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    Man, people really want their 10 book long series that span 7 years.[face_laugh]

BigAl6ft6 and BobaMatt like this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah I agree, I think it'll be great (big Shattered Empire fan too) but the focus will be sort of limited. Soule is awesome at conveying dark side in brief snippets of character, I do think we'll see Kylo's evolution from Ben to Ren (I picture this starting right after the Jedi training temple slaughter) and skip around or flashbacks. Only 4 issues, I think we'll get the story but not every nook and cranny of it.

I also agree that aside from movies (and we'll see how live action TeeVee pans out) that comics is one of the better mediums to tell Star Wars stories, especially important ones. Visuals!