main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 SWC22 Costume/cosplay thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Obi Anne , Jun 8, 2018.

1. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I've read some things about the Jedi robes and other GE merch potential being acceptable. So I'll have to inquire about that. If not, than I need to get on with learning how to make my own costume.

2. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    Making your own outfit can be rewarding,but time consuming, what makes you feel good about making it, is when someone asks you or compliments your outfit and asks you where you got it, you say, "I made it", they go, "Wow, that's good!" but if you can't make one and must purchase, get a good authentic costume or augment one.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  3. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    The clubs do not require that you make everything yourself, but it has to be of good quality and fit right. Most licensed costumes are mass produced and simply do not have the right quality and attention to detail that is required. I've heard rumblings that what's for sale in GE is not good enough for approval, but it is probably up to each single costume piece where some of them are good and some are not. As a general rule I would not buy a full costume from any commercial vendo and accept it to be approvable out of the box.

Padme501st likes this.
  4. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    If I was thinking about joining a club, I'd first find out what the outfit rules were and if I was able to make it to their standard. I wonder what those Jedi robes are like since Disney says no long capes or robes in the park or are there exceptions?

5. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I will try to have a lot less with me next year compared to Chicago. At the moment I'm thinking Willrow Hood and Admiral Daala. I have another fun project I'm thinking about. Back in 2015 me and my travel friends came up with the idea of making 18th century SW costumes for 2017. I came as far as ordering the fabric, but then the post lost my package and the fabric didn't arrive in time. Now I have just finished making an 18th century ball gown out of that fabric, and it wouldn't be too much work to add some fun to it to make it a SW interpretation. It would be a lot more fun to do it as a group than as an individual project though. It would also mean having to wear a fully boned corset and silk in the Anaheim heat, and I'm not sure that's a good idea.

This is my 18th century gown in rebel orange.
    [​IMG]

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    You could probably make that into something Queen Amidala would wear without too much trouble..

7. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I would definitely love the satisfaction of being able to make the costume myself. But I don't have the skills whatsoever to do that. I'll see what other options might be available to get an approved costume fairly easily, just to get my foot in the door and start trooping. The 501st garrison in my area recommends a Tie Pilot costume specifically for that reason. And then go from there in regards to seeing about more complex costumes. The only reason I was thinking Jedi to start off is so that it could potentially double as being my costume for both Rebel Legion and Saber Guild. So we'll see.

Yea, I wouldn't consider anything from any other retailer but GE, and I only did so because I had read some people asking about it on the Rebel Legion recruit facebook page for my area. This coming week I'll make some serious inquiries about how to get started, perhaps even ask for a mentor to help guide me along.

Btw, glad your coming out to Anaheim. I'm looking forward to the meetup!

ChrisLyne and JonSB like this.
  8. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    Obi-Anne, what a beautiful gown! how long did it take to do that? you are so good! A historical group I belong to would love to see your goods! many of them try to make something that elegant! Yeah Motivate! what you can do is look at the basic construction of the GE outfit, while you are "training" to learn construction of outfits, find a pattern from one of the clubs, which they should have many of, and with help, if you need it, attempt to make it. When I first started sewing, in 7th grade years ago, we had the basic Singer sewing machine, and it could be a pain! my husband bought me a Bernina a couple years ago and I'm still learning about it! I want to try out a basic Jedi robe soon. Hope you try sewing out! Very good luck!

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  9. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I started with the gown the weekend I came home from Chicaco and then I worked into the morning of the ball with it. Thankfully I already had the proper underwear for it. I try to put what I do on my blog, https://costumekullan.blogspot.com/ , but when I'm stressed I have a tendency to skip over it. I still haven't posted all I did for Enfys for example. I think I would never have started costuming if people had said that sewing was hard, I just thought it was something you did since I had always seen my sister sewing. Now looking back it took me several years until I made things that I still think look good, but back when I made them I was happy with them and that made me sew more and more and raise my sewing level little by little.

I would definitely see what they write on the Rebel Legion Jedi forums when it comes to how the GE costumes will be judged. I'm guessing not enough people have seen them upfront yet to be able to form an opinion.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  10. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Oh boy, this is really going to cost me. I'm doing some research on a Cassian Andor costume build. But since I have zero costume making abilities, I'm basically going to have to go piece by piece, find decent quality ones that would be up to standards for Rebel Legion, and then purchase them all separately. Sites like Etsy or other high end costume/prop purchasing sites.

Is that an acceptable means of going about it? At least for a first timer. Or is that kind of frowned upon?

I'm going to ask for a mentor through the Rebel Legion recruit facebook page I'm in, but I'd rather ask you guys here first.

11. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    If it was me and I was just starting out, I would first look into the feasibility of raiding @Padme501st's closet for pieces.

12. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I don't know if Amidala pieces are going to exactly suit what I'm going for.

ChrisLyne and star_wars_is_good like this.
  13. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    It’s totally acceptable to commission pieces or go through Etsy etc for your first pieces. Honestly I made a full blown Britney Spears Toxic Flight Attendant outfit from scratch for Halloween before I got my Imperial staff officer but I wasn’t about to do my officer from scratch with basic skills. So I did a custom order from cosplay sky using 501st measurements, ordered my cap from a someone who makes 501st approved caps, same for my rank bar and belt. I ordered my dosimeter from a fellow 501st member on Etsy and bought my boots from some website after a ton of research. The forums usually have links to places that sells approvable stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  14. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Sometimes you have to be a little more open minded.

Padme501st and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  15. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    @Padme501st: Yea, I'm figuring to go about it in a similar manner. I'm doing a bunch of research right now so I can at least ask direct questions about all the specific pieces or about how to get them, instead of just a general "how do I go about this". So far the Cassian specific facebook page has some good links, and I'm going through the Rebel Legion forums as well. Etsy seems like the go-to for a lot of items.

Padme501st likes this.
  16. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    Do that research! I'm not the best seamtress in the world, my mother was excellent, when Barbie dolls came out in '65, she got patterns for the clothes and made my first Barbie outfits! but she did not show me how to sew, I had to learn it in Jr. high. I'm still improving on my Jawa outfit after all these years.

Padme501st, JonSB and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  17. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    Not SW related but my cosplays for Con of Thrones just came in! I ordered them from Cosplaysky first week of June and requested custom size and honestly I’m very happy with them. I just did a quick trial run to see how they look

[​IMG]
    Here is my Daenerys. I actually have a dragon pin that also came with it and of course I won’t hold the chain when I wear it at the con

[​IMG]
    Here is my Cersei Lannister from Season 8. I can’t wait to wear this next to Jamie Lannister in my photo op!

18. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Awesome! You look great!

Padme501st likes this.
  19. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Padme501st likes this.
  20. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'll most likely wear my Tie Reserved costume for at least one day. There is usually a 501st photo day. I think I'll even try to get my son setup since we have over a year.

21. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    This may be overly ambitious, but since there's over a year to Cele, I'll try finishing Mandalore the Ultimate from KOTOR comics. (Would be nice to have a masked costume, to avoid students while trooping lol). Got foam for the armor and material that I need to burn and damage for the cloak, and somebody on Etsy is selling masks.

22. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I like to picture Yoda wearing a mask when he goes out to the supermarket to avoid being recognized by younglings.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  23. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    Went to my first Game of Thrones con last weekend and had a blast. "Cosplayed" all 3 days and it was the first time my feet didn't hurt after a con. It's like the days when Celebration was small.
    Met Jerome Flynn and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (who absolutely loved my Cersei costume) and 3 regular extras
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Made the yellow dress. Was inspired by the Dornish dresses style and then I hand embroidered the Targaryen symbol and Daenerys and added some flowers. Took forever and honestly was going for more embroidery but ran out of time. It was my first time doing embroidery so that played into it. I plan to add more embroidery to it.

ChrisLyne, JonSB and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  24. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    Absolutely wonderful and elegant outfits! I wish I was able to attend that con.! I love GoT!

25. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Great pics! Did you make everything? If so top notch skills!