main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Ships and Vehicles of Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by KnightOfRen, Dec 13, 2017.

1. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    “Okay here’s what we want you to do: take aspects of the the OT vehicles and then make them ugly. Cool?”

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The answer to are you right is almost always no. :p

Bor Mullet likes this.
  3. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I actually really like the Eta-2's.

:(

dekaneas, moxlox, Jamie1001 and 2 others like this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s OK to be wrong from time to time. That’s what makes you human.

5. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018

Throw up yer dukes, fiendish knave. Fisticuffs shall ensue! *Twirls mustache*

6. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    All those forest worlds and so far we haven't seen a walker plunder it's way through, branches snapping and whole trees reduced to matchsticks.

7. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I kind of wish that the TIE Dagger was the First Order's primary fighter class from the start of this trilogy. Unless the red edges of the wings imply that these are used by Sith troopers?

[​IMG]

8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Interesting that it looks more like an Imperial TIE than it does a First Order TIE.

9. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    It looks like the wings have wooden paneling on the inside. FO running low on funds are they? Anyway, I quite like the design, although the classic TIE Interceptor beats them all.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  10. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Yeah, that color scheme is definitely food for thought. Not so much the red highlighting, that can just be some specific squadron (even the Sith troopers perhaps?), but the Imperial gunmetal being back is...hmm. Love they've ditched the bland Steve Jobs white-plastic look, though.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  11. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I think it's the best design of all the FO hardware, reminds me of the TIE/D from Dark Empire. Kylo's shuttle is meh imo, and the Resurgent SD and FO TIE are too similar to the old Imperial models to stand out. SKB was meh too, same with the new walkers. And of course the Giant Toaster Oven, (sorry, battering ram canon) was offensively bland.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  12. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    The Eta-2 is probably one of the best designs in the PT so
    The red markings denoted Special Force pilots in TFA. Also worth noting that the 'Stardestroyer' in the trailer appears to have red markings along it's flanks. I'm beginning to wonder whether there may be two separate factions at play, the normal First Order and the Allegiant lot.

whostheBossk likes this.
  13. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    By "Allegiant" we mean Pryde as a separate FO faction?

I'm sorta thinking the opposite, he and Hux are with Ben's "core" FO, the guys we've got in the first movies (but obviously with all the rivalry from Hux as in the first two, maybe Pryde's in agreement that Kylo's unstable/unprofessional or whatever but they're still working for him more or less loyally), maybe these red fighters play into the whole "Sith" thing, whether that ends up being loyal to Ben or Palpatine who knows, but sort of with a different agenda outside if the regular First Order's. Ben having some side-game running, maybe.

Seems pretty sure from the recent descriptions that Ben's running the main FO show though, and given we've heard the red troopers are loyal to Ben, seems reasonable the red-livery ships might be theirs.

14. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Allegiant is such a odd name to throw into the mix. Allegiant to whom? And why the different uniform? Plus the Sithtroopers may answer to Kylo but what it their name implies they only really answer to the Sith (Palpatine)? Palpatine knows the best way to bring down a Jedi is a sneak attack and in sufficient numbers. There's something fishy going on and if they really want the First Order defeated or severely weakened then a war between two factions is the way to do it.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  15. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Yeah, it's odd to me too. Is that official from any promo stuff, or just a speculated/placeholder name we're using?

And yeah, the red troopers being Ben's strikes me as odd too, even with that official description. Kinda wouldn't be suprised if there's some twist where Smith's guy's been running them as some long-game thing since before the trilogy started, and they're kind of a "double agent" play, as far as Ben's concerned they're his but they're basically there keeping tabs on things for Smith & Sheev.

The color scheme change is sorta perculating in my head as something along those lines too in a broad sense. Still kinda figure Pryde & Hux are part of Ben's original Order though, even if they don't like him. If he's declared himself Emperor/Supreme Leader by now and the Knights are back on the scene, not hard to imagine those types just stay in line due to fear.

16. Commodore_Chris

Commodore_Chris Jedi Padawan

Oct 9, 2017
    I agree. I think we were close to getting these in TFA too - if memory serves, something similar to the TIE Dagger was shown in The Art of the Force Awakens.

17. Turinsd00m

Turinsd00m Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    Since Palps was supposedly sending forces and equipment to the edge of the UR since he first became emperor, it makes since to me that we'd see more traces of those older forces the closer we get to finding out what is really going on out there. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a whole Sith Fleet in waiting that shows up in TROS and consists of rebuilt/ modified craft from both the PT and OT.

whostheBossk likes this.
  18. KING_KENOBI

KING_KENOBI Jedi Master star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    I would LOVE to see a time jump and see technology 10 years as it really would have evolved,that would go a LONG way!

19. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    I don't know that Palpatine would have much out there in the UR while he's emperor, Turin. Kinda sounds more like that was more laying the groundwork for later, a few elite people here and there doing some scouting for if he ever had to enact his Plan B of sending certain hardcore loyalists out there because he wanted the main Empire dead if he ever was killed.

Pretty sure the "Imperial guys going out to the UR" and The First Order are the same thing, it's just that the guys scoping it out while he was alive didn't know why. Can't see him having a huge army out in the UR, seems the army he was building out there (indirectly and post-humously) was the First Order.

We don't know jack about Smith's guy yet, but if he's human I'd kinda guess he's probably originating out of the normal GFFA.

20. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    A LONG way to what? The F.O. are still flying around in fighters that have not changed much for over forty years another ten years won't make any difference.

21. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Why would technology change over 10 years in the GFFA anyway?

They have basically everything in The Phantom Menace that they do in The Last Jedi, practicality-wise, science-wise. It's just the designs that evolve, and even then the minor evolution between the OT and ST makes infinitely more sense than the giant stylistic changes between the PT and OT.

Sarge likes this.
  22. KING_KENOBI

KING_KENOBI Jedi Master star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    Thats what I meant..New models of spaceships and fighters...anything to ditch that Off brand OT aestethic-
    The prequels to OT does make perfect sense as a generation shift in tech and fighter technology..as should the next,,

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  23. moxlox

moxlox Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Well each to his own! Only this weekend I was playing with my 4yo and his SW toys and was thinking how much more original and interesting the PT ships were compared to how the seemingly lack of evolution ST ones are. Exception in the ST being Kylo's TIE Silencer which is awesome with its "squashed" angular cockpit design.

I've always like the Eta-2 Jedi Interceptor in ROTS. I think its cool, and its my 4yo's favourite ship too (well after the Falcon!).

whostheBossk likes this.
  24. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    It doesn't make that much sense, K_K, not over 20 years between trilogies or 33 between another.

One generation of ship to the next in a military sense, the Imperial-to-FO similarities are totally in order.

4th generation US all-purpose fighter:

[​IMG]

5th generation US all-purpose fighter:

[​IMG]

Same country/military, same company (the 22's a majority Lockheed, but Boeing/McDonnell Douglas did the airframe). Same approach, just incorporating stealth that's become a huge advantage since, and improved avionics, internal weapons bays and stuff. That's the sort of change you see over a couple of decades - incremental, evolution not revolution.

Pretty much the same as the Imperials-to-First-Order. Tinkers and upgrades on the same design philosophy, improve what works rather than throw away a tried-and-true success story.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  25. Turinsd00m

Turinsd00m Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    I was taking my insight from Wookiepedia which states: "For decades, Palpatine had been seeding the Unknown Regions with storehouses, shipyards, and laboratories." Now granted, there is no source cited for that statement, but I think it lines up with what I've read in the new Canon Novels so far. I know for sure that Palps and Tashu first showed up on Jakku and started groundwork on his UR Observatory in 30 BBY, which was only two years after he was elected Supreme Chancellor in 32 BBY. Since one of the purposes of that Observatory was to plot a safe path through the UR to something Palps thought was the source of his power, I don't think it a stretch that he'd be building up forces along the border of the UR, in anticipation of the path being eventually found.

My guess is, that this source of power Palps feels is a darkside nexus planet, the opposite of the lightside nexus planet that Yoda found deep in the galactic core in TCW. As soon as the path was opened shortly before the events of ROTJ, Palps started relocating his most trusted people and those military building resources all the way to that planet where he started using them and the darkside power that festered there to build a monstrous Sith Clone Army (had 30 years to work on it) while the remaining people and resources stayed closer to the border of the UR and eventually became the FO. The FO would be Palps first wave of attack on the GFFA which would work to weaken the rebels turned republic while acting as a barrier that would prevent anyone unwanted from making the trip to the UR and exposing what he truly had in the works. My guess is that the rank and file of the FO don't know about this connection, probably due to the fact that Palps wanted to keep this ultimate army a secret until the time was right to strike and seize the whole galaxy once and for all.

To me, the Sith Troopers are a clear evolution of what Palps would be looking for in a new army. What greater measure of control could he possible have over the galaxy that to rule it with the largest army ever- consisting of fully obedient clones that all have their own shoulder cameras/ holoprojectors? The clones from TCW were highly effective and these new Sith ones will have been in the works for three times as long as the ones the republic were using. Think how much more highly trained they would be. This all sounds like exactly what the Emperor-who-just-scrapped-his-old-rebel-infested-Empire-to-start-a-new-and-improved-one would order!