main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Time Period/Era For New Film Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Feb 21, 2018.

?

When do you think the new films will be set

1. Before ANH and after ROTS - Weiss/Benioff

6 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. Before TPM- Weiss/Benioff

100 vote(s)
    64.9%
  3. After ROTJ and before TFA- Weiss/Benioff

6 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. After IX- Weiss/Benioff

12 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Before ANH and after ROTS- RJ trilogy

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  6. Before TPM- RJ Trilogy

29 vote(s)
    18.8%
  7. After ROTJ and before TFA- RJ trilogy

11 vote(s)
    7.1%
  8. After IX- RJ trilogy

68 vote(s)
    44.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    I imagine the look/feel of the new canon KOTOR era (when we get there) will be more distinct than what we've seen previously in Legends.

2. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    It damn better be. I couldn't get invested in the games due to that stuff, at all. Like "this far in the past, and ships and droids are exactly the same, tech hasn't advanced anything majorly between here and the PT/OT?". Just took me way out of it somehow, especially when the soldiers in the head-to-toe white uniforms showed up, looking like 5% variants on a stormtrooper.

Just...yeah, ancient-era Star Wars can be hugely interesting. Just make it as different tech/look/society-wise as the friggin' dark ages were to now in real life. Droids probably shouldn't even exist, if space travel does it's really rudimentary, galaxy isn't all interwoven as a government/economy yet, automatically that makes it all a million times more worthwhile than just the era we know with a new skin/coat of paint surface-wise.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  3. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Well, it's called Star Wars for a reason. It wouldn't really make a whole lot of sense if things looked particularly ancient while still having space travel. And not having space travel would be kind of stupid when looking at the name and premise of the franchise. That obviously doesn't mean that things should just be a copycat of the saga movies. KOTOR may have been a bit too similar in that regard, while Tales of the Jedi was a weird mix that barely fit to anything. It's as if they thought "this is supposed to be ancient stuff, so lets use some designs from our ancient past" while also keeping quite a few modern elements around, which didn't make a whole lot of sense, but did look cool at times.

Are you mixing up KOTOR and TOR by the way? Because there are no white uniforms in KOTOR, only TOR went with the "lets copy the stormtroopers/clonetroopers" approach for some unknown reason. KOTOR had silver(ish) or golden looking common Sith troopers (depending on your graphic card) and red looking squad leaders, while the Republic had rather weird looking red/yellow ones.

4. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I don't want the function of technology to advance too much; this is space fantasy, not science fiction. Like, I expect to see technological advancements on Star Trek, but with Star Wars, the function should more or less be consistent, with small advances pertaining to utility like how fast ships can travel and how stable everything holds together. If we're going to believe that the Jedi have been protecting the galaxy for "a thousand generations," that means interplanetary travel has existed and been more or less commonplace for approximately 25,000 years. The changes should be in respect to how everything looks and feels, because if we can see such a huge change in the visual aesthetic of the designs we see in the 19 years between RotS and ANH, we should damn well see some even more monumental differences in the designs of several thousands years prior.

Emperor Ferus and Bor Mullet like this.
  5. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    At least when dealing with Pre-Republic/early old Republic days, the FTL needs to be much inferior to what exists in current Star Wars. Rarer, not as reliable, slower to get to destinations, and not for very small spacecraft.

Some other ideas to distinguish a new trilogy from the current ones.

Blaster rifles/pistols that are not as good. What if they cant carry the same level of charge (expire faster)?

More usage of slugthrowers. Makes sense in an age where their are more saber users engaged in war.

No white armored troopers (also not an armor with a very similar style to clone/storm troopers).

A independent droid faction, a threat to Republic and Sith alike. Giving further reason why droids are mostly not allowed to progress to be self independent in later days.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  6. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Yeah, sorry Oissan, probably thinking The Old Republic rather than KOTOR. Played both, never got that far into either one though due mostly to the aesthetic than the gameplay being a problem.

About the tech thing, just because it's fantasy rather than sci-fi that doesn't mean there can't be any broadly-logical change when you're talking about time gaps this huge, 10 000 years or whatever it's supposed to be. We already have some precedent for it in canon anyway, look at those Jedi books Luke's hoarding. Pretty sure the prequels-era Jedi say 300 years before The Phantom Menace weren't exactly using paper-and-ink documents. Space travel should rationally have been around for a long time in-universe, given how advanced everything is, but saying it'd be near-on identical 10 000 years prior seems kinda silly.

Also, you can still have space travel, just separate it from what we know by saying maybe they haven't figured out hyperspace yet. It's all more local, within a small quadrant of neighboring planets, a handful of species have interaction with each other but it's not this huge linked up many-thousands-of-worlds thing just yet.

Yeah, SWF91, differentiating the blasters would be great too. Not sure exactly how, probably still lasers, but find some "equivalent of a musket" type of approach, more primitive than the WWII-type feel of the ones we know.

Personally I'd just lean really heavily into the samurai stuff for this. Jedi & Sith aren't even quite a thing just yet, in their total infancy and maybe not even going by those names just yet, there are like maybe 20 of each of them, little tiny cults just starting out. Either sabers are brand new inventions or they're still using physical edge-blade weapons even, play it out like some Kurosawa movie. Lighter on tech, heavier on philosophy & all. No big huge CG battles, more a little warring-clans type of story set 10 000 years before Yoda came into being.

Bor Mullet and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  7. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    I actually wish that Lucasfilm would use these vast budgets to try and create something genuinely new - I mean non-Star Wars. Even if not, there's so much SF and Fantasy literature you could adapt that would be so much more interesting than what either of these new trilogies is likely to deliver. It really does just seem like the slow milking to death of a cash cow. I hope I'm wrong.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  8. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I think you really need a period where fans a familiar with....which only leads to KOTOR.....

9. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    What would be the point of setting the Weiss/Benioff trilogy in the past? One reason I suppose would be to distance themselves from the other movies to give them the freedom to do what they want without worrying about mucking up the existing canon.

What’s the other reason though? Do they want to tell the story about the first Jedi and Sith? Will it be about the first republic? All I know is I don’t want a trilogy about the downfall of the first Jedi or the downfall of a government or anything like that. It’s more or less been done already.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  10. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    GoT and the Tolkien novels have extremely rich backstories. SW has yet to really do that with the new EU. This would be a great opportunity to flesh out this universe and give the saga films a context.

IlhamKamaruddin and avcpl like this.
  11. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    If they are going to do KOTOR then it must be Benioff & Weiss trilogy cause :

1. Fans have been wanting to explore this time period for many years
    2. Benioff & Weiss would be more adaptable to do this since GOT had that old style feel
    3. Rian Johnson has stated that his trilogy would be completely different from any thing we have seen & set in a part of the galaxy never explored before
    4. I think Disney actually listen to fans and this is what we want

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  12. topgoalscorer_no11

Jul 23, 2001
    Flash Gordon's due a remake:
    1. That was Lucas's original plan, he only wrote Star Wars when he couldn't get the Flash Gordon rights, so it would be going back to basics for Lucasfilm.
    2. RJ or B&W could write it without fear of the fury of an entrenched fanbase, since there aren't any fans.
    3. It's sexier than Star Wars.

13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Uh...

Bor Mullet and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  14. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    You meant Flesh Gordon

15. topgoalscorer_no11

Jul 23, 2001
    No, vanilla Flash Gordon is already much sexier than Star Wars. I can only assume you've never seen it.

16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Let's stop talking about how sexy Flash Gordon is, since it's ridiculously off topic.

17. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    You realize I had a six paragraph post ready for this topic, right? Damn you!

18. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I know. I wanted to stop the discussion before you saw it. We all know how passionate you get about the subject.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    [​IMG]

EHT and TCF-1138 like this.
  20. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Considering how much LFL love making prequels I'm guessing that at some point we'll get a young Palpatine movie.

21. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    I'm so torn on the Palpatine-origins idea. On the one hand I'm pretty fiercely of the mind he's evil-upon-evil-upon-evil-and-an-origin-is-useless-because-he-came-outta-the-womb-Devil-evil.

Buuuut with all the raving over that Lucas TV project, the Palpatine script blowing people's minds and you feeling actual sympathy for him, I'm damn curious too. Don't think I'd want to ever have that made, but I'd give anything to read the script they're referring to. Great Satan Palpatine should stay how it is, he's just awful for the sake of being awful, but man, the TV ep sounds so out-there crazy I'd love to get a rundown of what they had in mind. It's especially weird-sounding given George was shephering the project himself and he's the source of the "GFFA Devil" take.

22. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    By the way, has Lucasfilm ever attempted a GFFA historical tome, ala Tolkien’s Silmarillion? Seems unlikely, as it could restrict them over time, but I wonder if anything like that was ever considered (even as a brief sketch).

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    WayoftheJedi likes this.
  23. WayoftheJedi

WayoftheJedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2019
    Old republic is a safe bet for Weiss/Benioff but RJ I don’t know. Apart from RJ shouldn’t do anything SW related ever again i think it will take part in the unknown regions.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    2Cleva likes this.
  24. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    The Great Sith War, also known as the Sith War, the First Sith War,

3996 BBY This would be a great time period for the first movie in the trilogy.......

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  25. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m not a fan of TLJ, but can we at least try not to work a shot at RJ into every single post here?