main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #37-40: A Rogue's End (4/4 released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    It truly sounds like this is the final arc to me. :(
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #37
    SI SPURRIER (W) • CASPAR WIJNGAARD (A)
    COVER BY ASHLEY WITTER
    STAR WARS GREATEST MOMENTS VARIANT COVER BY JODIE Muir
    A ROGUE’S END Part 1: A BRAND NEW ARC STARTS HERE!
    • After all she’s been through, professional disaster-zone DOCTOR APHRA is right back where she started: working for DARTH VADER.
    • What villainous use has the dark lord found for her, to make him spare the life of his most annoying foe...?
    • And how long does she have to try and slither out of harm’s way before he decides to finish what he started years ago...?
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2019 Lucasfilm Ltd.

Star Wars: Doctor Aphra Vol. 7 Paperback – February 11, 2020
    After all she's been through, professional disaster zone DOCTOR APHRA is right back where she started: working for DARTH VADER. What villainous use has the dark lord found for her to make him spare the life of his most annoying foe...? And how long does she have to try to slither out of harm's way before he decides to finish what he started three years ago...?

COLLECTING: STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA 37-40, STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA ANNUAL 3

• Series: Star Wars: Doctor Aphra (Book 7)
    • Paperback: 128 pages
    • Publisher: Marvel (February 11, 2020)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  2. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    This is not a final arc... it comes full circle, sure, but right when Aphra is about to die Vader has to leave for Endor :p

3. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Unless they're gonna market it as Aphra's last story, Death of Wolverine-style, I don't think the title's actually spoiling the end of the arc. Though, that said, I wonder if the "rogue" in question is going to turn out not to be Aphra but
    Tolvan? An Imperial-turned-Rebel would qualify as a rogue, and it'd certainly have an impact on Aphra.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  4. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    I too thought it may be the end of someone but not Aphra's death. Maybe not literal and meaning the end of HER being a Rogue, and she is something/someone else afterwards. Like big change in her life. Not that she would turn less chaotic... or true hero... but change is coming. And that may be the end of her days on the run at least. If it leads into ROTJ, it means the end of her running from the Empire at least, which had turned her Rogue.

I can't see Aphra and Tolvan ride off into the sunset together, sorry, not Legend of Korra ending. Unless Tolvan gets a hapan gun of command on Aphra and drags her with her into the sunset that is :p

Cue more stories after the Honeymoon on Zeltros. We know Aphra loves the place, she was there on vacation before.

revan772 likes this.
  5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Dear lord. Every new arc is the final arc. Stop it! :p

Also.

I would love to see polyamorous Zeltrons again! I didn't put two-and-two together in Legacy and kicked myself after the fact.

6. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    I also don't think this will end with Aphra's death but this arc could mean the end of Apra's story in the OT era but we probably will have to wait for a while to have another series about her as a main character beside one-shots . If Filoni could find ways to save Ahsoka even when she's more connected to Vader/Anakin's past than Aphra is, then I'm sure they could also find ways to save Aphra from him like they already did a few times in this series. I personally would like to see her survive until the ST era. This could also mean the end of Aphra as a "rogue", I think it's a real possibility. Maybe she'll even officially join the rebellion by the end of it even if fail to see how that would work based on the current arc.

7. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    #38 and #39 solicits.
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS DOCTOR APHRA #38
    SI SPURRIER (W)
    CASPAR WIJNGAARD (A)
    COVER BY ASHLEY WITTER
    STAR WARS GREATEST MOMENTS
    VARIANT COVER BY TOMMY LEE EDWARDS
    A ROGUE’S END Part 2: THE DARK LORD FALTERS...
    • DOCTOR APHRA’s reunion with her FATHER would’ve be a happy affair – if he wasn’t a pompous blowhard set to take her job as the Empire’s chief archaeologist.
    • Of course, her dear old dad will have to survive Imperial Interrogation first, and which pair of charming psycho-droids do you suppose DARTH VADER has hired for the job?
    • And what happens when the ancient stones of a long-lost Jedi Temple cast their ghostly influence upon the Dark Lord of the Sith himself...?
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

STAR WARS DOCTOR APHRA #39
    SI SPURRIER (W)
    CASPAR WIJNGAARD (A)
    COVER BY ASHLEY WITTER
    STAR WARS GREATEST MOMENTS
    VARIANT COVER BY TOMMY LEE EDWARDS
    A ROGUE’S END Part 3: SOME LIKE IT HOTH...
    • DOCTOR APHRA has so far failed to seize the secret location of the new rebel base... but that hasn’t stopped the rebels seizing HER...
    • After all the bad blood and countless betrayals, does any love linger between Aphra and her new captor, Rebel Captain MAGNA TOLVAN?
    • But with DARTH VADER himself keeping tabs on her progress, will Aphra see in Tolvan one last, seducible opportunity to sell-out the future of the galaxy, and save her own skin?
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2019 Lucasfilm Ltd.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  8. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Only the Emperor can overrule Vader now and save Aphra and make her his personal chief archeologist! Replacing that old guy from Rebels and sent her to World between World access sites and other nice places!

Sith Temple excavation below Jedi Temple on Coruscant as per unreleased TCW episode and mentioned in Tarkin novel?

Mustafar and Vaders castle and Sith temple below it? as per Vader Immortal?

Bring it on!

9. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm not a big fan of Tolvan and Aphra.

I much prefer Sana.

10. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    Tolvan and aphra is cringe to me so I agree. sana is way better but then again I liked her with Luke too :(

11. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yeah but Sana has standards, of course she's not gonna stick with someone like Aphra.

revan772, Outsourced and Wrinty like this.
  12. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Sana will settle for Lando ultimately... their kid is in Episode IX after all :p

13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    he has a twilek girlfriend

14. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Richard E. Grant.

15. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    o_O

16. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    never mind

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  17. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Issue #40 solicit.

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #40
    SI SPURRIER (W) • CASPAR WIJNGAARD (A)
    COVER BY ASHLEY WITTER
    STAR WARS GREATEST MOMENTS VARIANT COVER BY TERRY DODSON
    A ROGUE’S END, Part 4
    • All good things must come to an end. Unfortunately, so must all evil things. And probably also all things somewhere-in-the-middle-it’s-complicated.
    • Renegade archaeologist DOCTOR APHRA has been outrunning fate far longer than anyone dared hope. But her time is finally up. DARTH VADER stalks her through the shadows of an ancient temple, and this time?
    • Only one of them will be leaving in one piece.
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  18. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Doctor Aphra #37 preview.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Darth_Pevra and Daneira like this.
  19. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    I love that preview :D

Reminds me of The Force Unleashed and what was done to Starkiller there... hehe!

Seems I called it what she would do now. Even after this arc I can't wait for more Aphra anywhere in any form.

20. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't want to get anyone too excited... but Veers Watch just had a Force-damn heart attack.

Senpezeco and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  21. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Both Aphra on the Executor and the line "General on deck!" were making me wonder if Veers Watch was going to have a bone thrown its way. :p

22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This is one of those times where the fan reaction is even better than the real thing (not that there's anything wrong with the comic... but I doubt the writers knew they were introducing such a beloved and long-awaited hero...) :p

23. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    I also love the new context to the TESB probot missions.
    Sideeffect of Rebel base hunt? The greatest archeological survey ever held galaxywide... this is brilliant!

And for someone fearing Vader trying to get reactions from him headon is typical Aphra. Great issue.

But now with archeology large scale on the table and the Emperors favor whispered as coming into play I count on the Emperors own archeological plans being shown, like hunting World between Worlds accessing temples and other ancient sites, his Observatories and more.

Now all I need is for Aphra to meet one of Palpatines Messengers with Palpatine-Holofaces that she can hijack to send out fake orders in the Emperors name :p commanding Vader himself for a brief time.

Though i still want Aphra to dig into Vader's castle... or meet up with Lina Graf with the Rebels. It has to happen!

And I still want to know Vulaada Klam's age... any guesses? First arc she was more a kid, these she looks as if aged a few years instantly.

Outsourced likes this.
  24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh so I guess they teased at NYCC that Aphra will get a new series, presumably also post-TESB like the Star Wars and Vader relaunches. So, cool. :)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Wow post TESB Aphra, okay I'm down! Cuz this story arc for her is winding down. I keep thinking post TESB to ROTJ we may get a bit more Anakin Skywalker peeking around Vader's edges and all which could be interesting.

But even if it isn't, this issue was still great for the Aphra/Vader scenes (the opening scene was a flashback/dream twist on her final scene in the Vader Vol. 1) Why does she keep mentioning Luke Skywalker when that is pretty much exactly the reason Vader wants her gone. And why hasn't he got her gone considering she keeps babbling about Luke every time she's around Vader.

Great new artist on here, though, I think they worked on Runaways, I like them better than the last crew. The panel of Aphra being shocked and all you see is her hand in the air was great.