main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Time Period/Era For New Film Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Feb 21, 2018.

?

When do you think the new films will be set

1. Before ANH and after ROTS - Weiss/Benioff

6 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. Before TPM- Weiss/Benioff

100 vote(s)
    64.9%
  3. After ROTJ and before TFA- Weiss/Benioff

6 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. After IX- Weiss/Benioff

12 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Before ANH and after ROTS- RJ trilogy

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  6. Before TPM- RJ Trilogy

29 vote(s)
    18.8%
  7. After ROTJ and before TFA- RJ trilogy

11 vote(s)
    7.1%
  8. After IX- RJ trilogy

68 vote(s)
    44.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. WayoftheJedi

WayoftheJedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2019
    Sorry no it’s a free world.

2Cleva likes this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Actually, no, this place has rules.

3. WayoftheJedi

Apr 12, 2019
    I abide by the rules.report me if you think otherwise.

2Cleva likes this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Not worth it. Was simply appealing for a tiny bit of civility. But never mind. It’s a losing battle these days.

jeangreyforever and Darth_Bertie like this.
  5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Let's get back on topic, which isn't Rian Johnson or other people's posting practices.

6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think it should take place in the time period between when Han and company entered the asteroid field in ESB, and exited the asteroid field in ESB.

zackm and chrcharcor2 like this.
  7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-i-the-phantom-menace-oral-history

Lucas: “Everybody said, “Oh, well, there was a war between the Jedi and the Sith.” Well, that never happened. That’s just made up by fans or somebody. What really happened is, the Sith ruled the universe for a while, 2,000 years ago. Each Sith has an apprentice, but the problem was, each Sith Lord got to be powerful. And the Sith Lords would try to kill each other because they all wanted to be the most powerful. So in the end they killed each other off, and there wasn’t anything left. So the idea is that when you have a Sith Lord, and he has an apprentice, the apprentice is always trying to recruit somebody to join him — because he’s not strong enough, usually — so that he can kill his master.

That’s why I call it a Rule of Two — there’s only two Sith Lords. There can’t be any more because they kill each other. They’re not smart enough to realize that if they do that, they’re going to wipe themselves out. Which isexactly what they did.”

2Cleva, ChrisLyne and Darth_Bertie like this.
  8. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Fantastic. It sounds way more interesting than what the old EU did. Would be great to see a saga of movies where the Sith ruled and a minority of Jedi had to live in this context in which the number of Sith Lords is decreasing but mainly due to their own self-destructive ways.

9. WayoftheJedi

Apr 12, 2019
    I wasn’t aware that criticizing RJ is uncivilized.you are not a mod so mind your own business.you do not set the rules here.

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I am mod though and this thread was already warned by another mod to drop this argument and get back on topic. Please don't ignore mod warnings. Thank you.

11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think D and D will do Old republic and as great as that sounds we kinda know the story and how it will go down, the context is what will sell me their trilogy. Have it begin where the sith rules everything, they rule the galaxy and jedi is powerless to stop them. I love if gives them reason for why their so scared of sith surviving to TPM.

Rian's trilogy is where i'm most exited for, we know nothing of it but know it go to unseen places with all new character no legacy or legends ones in his movies. He dosen't do fan service as far as i recall. The jedi and the force is where his movies will go deep, maybe even expand on Geoge's most controversial topic, Midi-chlorians. I think one of two ways he goes to the beginnig, when there was no Republic and only the jedi as guardians of peace and justice, Maybe give away to how the Sith began.

Or it could like i think most suspects in post TROS. I think it would go to the far furture when both the jedi and Republic has been restored and going strong. The sith hasn't been seen since TROS and prophecy was achived in the end. The jedi goes back to what they were in the old days as guardians of peace and justice, not the politicans they were in the PT. The jedi and republic work together but not depended on each other. They not part of the goverment. We will have a dark and light users who fight with swords and force battles.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  12. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    I'd be happy with all of that.

13. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Whenever, I really hope the new movies break out of the Saga timeline. Before, after, just widen the scope. Get us out of this time loop we seem to be stuck in.

14. The past is the future and the salvation for Star Wars

15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Nah the future is future of Star wars. Go forward, not backwards.

2Cleva and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  16. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Going backwards has more potential and fits better with stories separated from the Skywalkers.

Limiting new films to post IX means your still dealing with a playground skywalkers influenced, and of course the only Jedi that could show up are ones that have their origins because of Rey, etc.

But by setting films long before the Empire and the Skywalker line, new heroes can arise not in the shadow of the skywalkers nor influenced by any events of the films, truly giving the most freedom for film makers/writers. Also creating a good excuse to give plenty of visual differences to separate these films from the Skywalker Saga.

With the past, you have the old republic era. A vast period of thousands of years, so much room to tell stories in the years to come. Also benefiting with popular villains such as the Sith/Mandalorians.

Besides wanting to see that period flesh out, their is the even more distant period known as the “Pre-Republic era” where we know even less then Old Republic, in which I hope we see on film someday.

A time where early hyperdrive exists, but not abundant in numbers like it later is. Early Jedi that haven’t dealt with the Sith yet nor apart of any Republic, smaller in size then their Old Republic and PT era counterparts. See the 1st Jedi temple in its prime. A period where Man isn’t spread around the galaxy to the extent in the films. Some civilizations lacking the hyperdrive. What were darksiders like pre-Sith? To differentiate from the large saber usage of the old republic/PT eras, I would have this period be pre-lightsaber. Further giving this era even more of an identity from future eras besides other changes.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    They can do similar stories post Skywalker saga. When the jedi and Republic has rebuild and become strong again. The past is fun yess, But i want to konw how the galaxy evolves from what has happened and how long it took for the galaxy to recover from Palpatine's reign of terror for almost 100 years. We could have the grysk in furture as enemies of the galaxy.

2Cleva likes this.
  18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think Lucasfilm is going to slowly set up the rise of the Mandalorian empire, and that it will function as the primary villainous entity in the post-ST world.

19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    With the leader wielding the dark saber. Bo-katan will restore Mandalore.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  20. MY Millennium Falcon

MY Millennium Falcon Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2019
    Which is why I selected Rian’s trilogy to go for storyline after IX, with the Mandalorians becoming the new Big Bad of the franchise... And it will be very interesting to see how the mainline Star Wars movies “start afresh” without having to fall back on the Skywalker Saga, for the first time in over 40 years...

IlhamKamaruddin and Bor Mullet like this.
  21. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    In that case, the Rian series may not be identifiable in terms of time frame, it may just be a separate story where we are unaware of how it relates chronologically to other SW movies. I hope it ends up being that way.

22. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I don't want a Mandalorian Empire threat post ST. The threat should be more original then that.

We already have a time period during the Old Republic where the Mandalorians were a big threat. Called the Mandalorian-Jedi war. Already referenced
    several times in the new canon.

I'm more interested in seeing pre-Nuked Mandalore and the mandalorians and their ideology that caused the war. We could also see the Sith make appearances during the war.

23. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    This could be really interesting. Post-TROS we could have the heroes trying to set up a new democratic government with a fledgling Jedi Order being rebuilt while the Mandalorians take advantage of the vacuum to try and conquer the galaxy. With the wielder of the darksaber we could still have lightsaber duels.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yup. Soviet-style.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I was thinking more like the Germanic incursions into Roman territory that signified the end of antiquity and beginning of the dark ages. Like the Germanic tribes were to Rome the Mandalorians have been a constant thorn in the Republic/Empire's side and as it weakens itself by endless civil strife and warfare the Mandalorians move in.

Bor Mullet likes this.