main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Definitely Not Improved Even More Horrible Than The Last Two Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Unknown Regions could simply mean uncharted territory in the furthest reaches of the known galaxy. It doesn't take much more explanation than that. I mean, SOMETHING has to be beyond the Outer Rim. If the Emperor of the known universe wants to keep his back up/emergency contingency plan hidden away, he above anyone else would have the means to create a hidden fleet and/or clone army and station them in the Unknown Regions.

Maybe this was Palpatine's contingency plan in case Vader mounted a moutiny against him or some other Jedi rose successfully to challenge him.

2. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    leaked TFA 6 months before the movie was out. Got a LOT of stuff right regarding TLJ, except for a couple of interpretation mistake and wrong information. So yes, MSW is very reliable, but they connect the tidbits the way they can, which is often only as good as anyone's guess.

3. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Well.....I think my dog can link those tidbits better than MSW.

4. TheDutchman

TheDutchman Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2015
    The EU might...i havent read any of it.

TLJ....not so much

5. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I know the books and such have been hinting at stuff in the Unknown Regions, but to be honest, they’ve been so vague and broad that it doesn’t really come off as setting up the Sith Troopers and possible Sith Fleet, and instead seems like an attempt by LFL to turn those vagueries into a kind of Get Out Of Jail Free card for not setting up anything substantial in either the films or the books to justify a massive, third party faction popping up in the very last film.

In contrast, if Abrams snuck in a Chiss slave or Stormtrooper in some FO scene, I’d see that as a genuine element created by the books... if still not supported by the films. And in further contrast, if the Sith Troopers, Sith Fleet, and all that turned out to be Kylo showing his fanboy side and trying to define and control the “Sith” on his own terms as part of his own regime’s attempts to strengthen his personal power base, that would be something actually hinted at by the film’s.

TFA saw someone leak an actual summary of most of the film in one go, though still with some mistakes. TLJ saw MSW make a lot of dead-on-predictions dealing with costumes, suggesting one of his best leakers is located there.

He got the Sith Troopers and an appearance by the KoR... but I’m inclined to think he hasn’t yet gotten a full TFA-sized plot leak yet at all, simply because of how Kylo centric his info has been. A full leak would include a *lot* more about the heroes. And, if I remember correctly, while he had heard rumors of Matt Smith playing a younger Palpatine, he was just as in the dark about McDiarmid’s return as everyone else.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  6. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@godisawesome

No, there was a article about the Matt Smith thing: https://makingstarwars.net/2019/04/...-in-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-plays-out.

(Gonna put a spoiler here because it might be big: I know this is a rumor mill thread but better safe then sorry.)

• The rumor is that Matt Smith isn’t Palpatine reborn or rejuvenated but a dark side acolyte.
    • However, during The Rise of Skywalker, Smith’s character is willfully possessed by the spirit of Emperor Palpatine.
    • During the final act of the film Rey and Kylo team up to fight the Palpatine possessed Matt Smith.
    • The two-on-one duel is pretty intense for the duo.
    • Eventually Kylo Ren kills Palpatine’s host body
    • Palpatine’s spirit then jumps into Kylo Ren’s body.
    • Kylo Ren is strong enough to not lose total control of his mental faculties.
    • Kylo Ren struggles to take control of his body but subdues himself and his weapon while beckoning Rey to kill him.
    • Kylo does the right thing and becomes Ben Solo again as he sacrifices himself to kill Palpatine.
    • Rey having never toyed with the dark side like Kylo Ren and the acolyte did means Palpatine has body evil enough to inhabit.

They also got the Supremacy or as it was called "The Mega Star Destroyer" and the Poe v Holdo plot down

TROS does have a spoiler google Doc for anyone interested https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NdogzVKRgecnANjj3I_0d-mUFI5n2AswYDBdOEnmwvc/edit

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2019
  7. TheDutchman

TheDutchman Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2015
    this sounds terrible...which means JJ could definitely have written it

8. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I was referring to before that speculation/leak came out; that particular leak/speculation came out after Palpatine was confirmed by the trailer and McDiarmid’s debut at Celebration. The speculation about Matt Smith playing (specifically) a “Young” Palpatine is from November, 2018, though I don’t know if MSW ever covered it himself, since all the examples I can find are other sites, who cite The Weekly Planet Podcast for the info, who cite an anonymous email in turn.

The Holdo vs Poe plot *was* a MSW leak as well. I just tend to find that I think of TLJ as more the concept art/costuming leak because of some of their early leaks being *dead* wrong.

MagnarTheGreat likes this.
  9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean True or False a lot of this is more just how something is executed in the plot of the film itself.

I remember a old TFA leak about how the Senate was being manipulated and polarized by Snoke into not doing anything about the First Order, and well all that got cut in the film even though the supplementary material has more or less gone along with that basic premise.

Also in terms of Rumors I think those keeping up knew that Han was gonna die in TFA (Despite that being a easy guess given the history of Star Wars) and I think people knew Luke was gonna be in one scene at the very end.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh true, the books have had to be massively cautious but, at this point, I'll take anything I can get because I do want this trilogy that's all over the place for a drunk jawa driving a landspeeder to not completely crash!

The books give reason for why no one has access or view of the UR. They set up a vast Imperial R&D network, numerous observatories and the Imperial fleet remnant went there to become First Order, but the idea that that all stayed separate to become some new Sith Order is an out of the blue twist all right. I'd agree it could be deemed the ultimate get out of jail free card, but I also see bringing Sidious back as that. If it all works? I can live with it.

11. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    All of these rumors about the sith troopers and Palpatine's spirit make TROS sound like a standalone film. Absolutely NO connection whatsoever to TFA or TLJ. A complete do-over.

12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

At this point i'm kinda waiting to see how Palpatine expected all of this to happen.

Like did he know "Okay in thirty years my apprentice grandkid is gonna be stupid enough to accidentally unleash me so I gotta be ready when that happens" I'm still wonder how he knew none of this was gonna go wrong.

Like what if this fleet all died.

What if Snoke didn't make it.

What if Rae Sloane never founded the First Order.

There a lot of speed bumps in Palpatine plan.

PendragonM likes this.
  13. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I do kinda agree with this. I’m sure we are missing a lot of context, but all this stuff kinda feels out of left field. It’s sounds awesome, but not cohesive.

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Same is true of Empire plan v1.0. But we're still talking of a guy who manipulated an entire galaxy into war and empire over a 20 year period, built planet-killers and came within a fraction of ruling said galaxy eternally.

It's worth remembering that though he plans, Sidious also improvises and then claims it was all part of the plan. (Almost like a certain bunch of creators currently! ;) )

See those comics and books out in Nov / Dec? Go buy.:D

cwustudent likes this.
  15. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Exactly - because the overall Star Wars story and Canon material is not just from the movies. All forms of their released media is what makes up the complete story and the rumours make perfect sense for those who have read about Palpatine"s ressurection plans and the like.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean hey...if the end results are good...Who cares how we got there ;p

Darthur C. Clarke likes this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Doubled

18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@Jedi Ben

Part of me wonders how much of this is Chris Terrio's influence on the film...Espeically in terms of the UR stuff

JJ never comes off as someone who really cares (Although I don't know how he personally feels but I can take a guess) about the books and the other material.

And when he was with Kasdan...well Kasdan didn't even know who Plageuis was so that should say that, took his son to tell him Maul was alive.

Wonder if Terrio is playing the part Jon Kasdan did with Solo...Someone who knows EU/Tie in material and is taking from that more then the other writers did.

Neesh, Jedi Ben and alwayslurking like this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    At this point I don't care who does it, I just want it to be good.

20. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    While I don't disagree, what sounds awful on paper might not play out like that on film. For example, Reddit went nuts when it came out a few days before Endgame premiered that it was a time capper that ended with Iron Man dying and Captain America retiring in time with Peggy Carter. That turn out pretty well since it was meant with not only critic and movie goer approval but is the worldwide box office champion now. Yes on paper it doesn't sound great and again really seems out of left field since none of the previous films have led up to that. But it's all in the execution so it turn out on screen, will just have to see.

21. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Chris Terrio: "The first movie I ever saw was Superman 2. I almost drowned in a pool at age four playing Aquaman. I went away from comics for most of my life. But I stayed on top of super-hero movies. The ones that intrigued me the most were the [Christopher] Nolan’s films. They were ways of asking interesting questions in a genre form. We stand on the shoulders of those films in a way. Nolan helped establish a space in which super-hero movies can be taken more seriously. We thought a lot about those films, to a point where I had to stop watching The Dark Knight because I found I was rewriting it." "It’s impossible to know everything in the DC universe, but I threw myself into it and tried to learn as much as possible and I found such intelligence in so many of the comics. Obviously Frank Miller is a well-known and respected writer who influences this film very directly. Also writers like Grant Morrison, who asks difficult philosophical questions in an extremely smart way. I tried to take in as much as I could while also keeping a little bit of an outsider’s eye." "It’s almost archetypal. In Batman’s origin [the murder of his parents], the primary thing I was thinking about is the fact he falls. It’s the primary metaphor for Western literature: There was a moment before and then everything fell. That brings up questions of Superman. I began to think Batman and Superman occupy different parts of the mythic imagination. In superhero stories, Batman is Pluto, god of the underworld, and Superman is Apollo, god of the sky. That began to be really interesting to me — that their conflict is not just due to manipulation, but their very existence. In the end, there’s a common humanity which I think is discovered at a certain moment in the film." "With [Wonder Woman alter ego] Diana Prince, I thought it would be better if we met her as a civilian first and involved her in the plot in a way that felt like a thriller. She’s a mysterious woman interested in the same things Bruce Wayne is. The fun of it is if you don’t immediately reveal her in superhero guise, you get to revel in the moment when she finally does reveal herself. If you bring in a character in a kinetic way, then you accept the reality more easily."

Yeah there's a part of the reason I didn't care for those movies after Man of Steel: I never liked Frank Miller and to a lesser extent Grant Morrison's take on Batman. I suppose it's not too much of a leap for him to take up Dark Empire and others as the next inspiration.

It's also not a stretch that If Terrio sees Kylo Ren as a dark Batman the death of his sister would be the catalyst for Ben becoming Kylo Ren (evil Batman). Then evil Batman and SuperRey team up at the to take down Darkseid Doomsday Palpatine. And there's a lot to not like about it.

22. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Terrio and JJ make a ...Very unique combo I will say.

Though for me anyone who says something + about Grant Morrison is a good thing.

Neesh and Luke02 like this.
  23. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    There were a lot of fans who absolutely detested that ending, just saying....

24. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Maybe the alleged SW bible was just a big EU reference guide. TFA was recycled OT, so maybe TROS is recycled EU.

25. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    And easily 3 times that many that loved it. It kinda became the biggest movie....EVER.

You can't and won't please everyone. Personally, I think too many fans these days have seriously unrealistic expectations. I love them to death, but all of this is still just stories. Entertainment. Hopefully, good entertainment. But so long as the story is even halfway competent and the acting decent, the effects believable, people have nothing to complain about. Y'all should have grown up in the 80's and 90's when most sci-fi/comic book/fantasy stuff was lucky to even get made, let alone with a budget that could possibly do it justice.

Neesh, Luke02 and Ender_and_Bean like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.