main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Definitely Not Improved Even More Horrible Than The Last Two Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Is he wearing a fez?

2. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
  3. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    The inclusion of Palpatine at all would make NO sense if it didn't tie together everything that has been happening in this trilogy. Otherwise, TROS is a stand alone and not really part of a trilogy.

4. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Their theory is the basically same as the one I've been pitching here for a while as one of the possibilities. I've wondered if Rey was taken intentionally or by accident though 'cause it could go either way really without much to go on.

https://boards.theforce.net/posts/55894862/

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  5. Mila Lazarus

Mila Lazarus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2018
    I don't really get the parallels with The Goonies/ST. Rey is not with a band of friends like the TG/ST are: in TFA she only bonds with Finn and 2 seconds with Leia, in TLJ she bonds with the villain and is separated from her only true friend, and meets Poe only at the end, with 2 more seconds with Leia. The dynamic is very different. And in The Goonies as well as Stranger Things, we are not obsessed with these kids' lineage, even for Eleven; we want to know where her powers come from, but not with who her parents might be. Knowing where Eleven's powers come from will probably help us to understand her better; knowing who Rey's parents are won't do that.
    As far as Rey is concerned, the only two interesting things about her, or at least what interests most people, seem to be her parents, the guy who wants her dead (but also loves her, apparently...) because he's a Skywalker, and who she'll marry at the end. She herself doesn't seem interesting enough. Something's missing here.

6. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Isn’t Rey recognizing Zorri’s ship new info? My mind went straight to your theories when I read that. That’s evidence in support of what people have been speculating about for a while. We weren’t wrong when people thought it looked like the ship in her vision immediately after the teaser dropped.

Uhhh we did meet Eleven’s mom in Stranger Things. That’s how you tell a complete story about a character. You don’t say, “here’s a protagonist, nothing about her personally matters to the story.”

11-4D, godisawesome , 2Cleva and 3 others like this.
  7. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    I must admit that I hope the Zorri thing is true, for a few reasons. First, it tells us that Kylo was flat-out wrong about Rey and that her parents could have been anyone. I don't necessarily have an issue with Kylo's version being true, just that I don't feel like it was the truth as it was presented. Second, it gives Zorri a greater connection to the story than "Random bounty hunter that helps the good guys." Finally, it gives Rey a connection to Finn in regards to the First Order trying to take children.

The whole thing is actually a great way to make Rey really a part of the overall arc even if she isn't related to a legacy character.

8. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Maybe Matt Smith is all of the Sith Troopers. Like Jango was.
    We learned more about Eleven and her upbringing as the story went on though. The more we learned the more interesting she became. The same is still possible for Rey if we get some more.

AhsokaSolo likes this.
  9. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    It's new info hearing it directly, but it's been speculated that might be Zorri's ship in the teaser, and it shares a striking resemblance to the ship that dropped kid-Rey on Jakku. So that adds up.

Glad to hear Keri might be in more than one scene/location though, she deserves more than a brief cameo thing.

I wonder why they have to "escape" the planet, like whether it's the FO tracking them down or even the knights personally showing up for some big throwdown? Would be pretty awesome if it's the latter and Zorri plays some part in fending them off in an action sequence.

As for the second part of the MSW report, I'd be pretty on-board with the idea that Zorri used to be a more morally-shady type in terms of her employers, and she couldn't bring herself to kill a little girl so dropped her on Jakku. Like her boss offed Rey's junkie parents, and due to Zorri Rey made it out. That'd be cool. Maybe a little similar to the rumored Mandalorian plot though. But yeah, so long as she's not her mom, Zorri playing into Rey's origins would be welcome. So it'd be a situation of Ben telling a half-truth in TLJ - the parents were junkie nobodies, but they didn't sell her off, rather were killed by a boss/dealer/slaver/whatever.

10. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    That Zorri stuff would be amazing if true. I was hoping that ship played a part. I remember Pablo at one point saying the ship she saw leaving was this.

[​IMG]

That ship is clearly not the one below. Even if turned upside down. That doesn’t mean that the concept art has grown irrelevant to the real thing.

Regarding the TFA shot... it’s small enough that I could buy this sticker as close enough if it’s the actual finished product they went with in the end. It won’t be the first time a minor visual gets slightly retconned in a later episode and it won’t be the last.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    That’s also my first time seeing that sticker. It’s weird that they’d flip the tail fins directions from pointing up to pointing down like that. That’s one of the more prominent visual cues even if you’re looking to retcon. Unless those move up and down? I suppose some of the details on the back could move for flight and that would help explain that aspect more.

I’m not convinced it’s the same ship. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t matter if she’s saying it’s familiar but may not be the actual ship.

Darthur C. Clarke likes this.
  11. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    Yes from their end it is, though in my head I figured she'd have to had recognized it at some point for this story path to work. Like the island in TLJ she said to Luke she saw in dreams and Kylo Ren got in her head during the interrogation in TFA.

Anyway the placement of the ship in the teaser looks like a deliberate tease that there's more to that story - which both Ridley (archive) and Abrams (archive) have said in interviews.

I've always thought Rey was taken away from her family (Han, Leia, Ben) and presumed dead.

Then the title this time can reference her character this way:

The Force Awakens [in Rey]
    [Rey becomes] The Last Jedi
    The Rise of [Rey] Skywalker

Like a character returning from the dead, like a phoenix rising from the ashes.

12. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    That ship looks almost Aliens/Cameron-esque somehow. Pretty cool.

Didn't really get that design sense from the brief shot in TFA though, should be interesting to see how they match up.

EDIT: Why wouldn't Leia have sensed who she is, Magnar? And she'd be a bit of a jackass keeping that to herself, once she knew. No way Leia would hold that back, after having her own family-revelation craziness three decades ago.

13. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I’m a fan of the PT, and the OT and ST, and see prequel elements and references all over TLJ and to an extent TFA. Johnson even said he was watching the prequels during the filming of TLJ. That being said this isn’t really the place for this discussion so I will give it a rest.

14. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    Simple - she thought her daughter was dead, just like Vader with Luke/Leia in the OT.

15. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Leia's force-sensitive (and if recent reports are to be believed, trained to a certain extent - evidence of that in TLJ too). She'd sense Rey's the daughter, even if she'd thought on a conscious level the daughter was deceased. Subconsciously that'd be trumped by the empathic sense stuff, once they're in close proximity and have met.

Han not knowing/realizing is one thing, but Leia's another.

16. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Far less simple. Vader changes personalities and lives and cuts everyone else he once knew off and only knows that his wife was killed by him while pregnant.

In Rey Solo theory Leia would give birth to her at an age when Ben Solo was 10. He’d remember losing a sister. All this talk of family issues in their EU stories and no talk of a dead or missing daughter and sister? They meet a girl the exact same age as the daughter they never had and don’t even talk about that? The brother meets a girl the same age as the sister he didn’t know and feels he has a force connection and doesn’t consider his missing sister? Hard to believe any parents who looked into their babies eyes would forget them.

This is part of why I still think the lineage tie in will be Rey Kenobi. He’s suspiciously absent beyond her first steps line and J.J. is bringing everyone back and loves Kenobi and his own grandfather. This story sees more about grandparental legacy and the OT is the parent story more. Kenobi hasn’t been on screen to meet her yet, unlike Luke and Leia, so if they tie her to him and explain later there’s none of those questions.

17. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    So, it's impossible for a force sensitive person to be in the presence of someone they are related to and who they believe is dead without recognizing them through the force. Except for Vader - it's completely possible then for "reasons."

18. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    The Sith Troopers don’t look more “modern” than the normal FO troopers. To me, they actually seem a bit 90s. Busier, design-wise, than the more 2010s-looking “Apple troopers” JJ created for TFA.

Krueger likes this.
  19. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    Leia said she knew Luke was her brother the entire time in ROTJ: "Somehow I always knew [you were my brother]" Yet she said nothing prior and even kissed him before. As IX was supposed to be Leia's movie and backstory presumably, it would be the movie to get into her fears and past more after Luke and to a lesser extent Han's were finished. Perhaps she had some Force vision warning her not to interfere with the child's destiny when or if she returned. There was also some things written in the canon like the Ahsoka novel which said that Force connections can be broken off - Ahsoka's was broken off from Anakin's after he became Vader. Even Ben thought Luke was dead when he defeated him before somehow later finding out he still lived.

Maryann Brandon, editor of Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: (48:30) “I know… It’s a weird thing that [hug between Rey and Leia], isn’t it? It’s like sometimes you’re working on a movie and there’s this thing that’s really powerful and you can’t really explain it. Like the hug between them is really powerful and you’re like, ‘Well, I didn’t see that coming.’ The lack of Chewie at the end was a big discussion and I think you know we did the best we could because that’s what was shot and you’re absolutely 100% right like… your emotion is with Chewie because he’s like this great character who always saves the day. Ummm… You know it’s one of those… I mean we tried to cover it up. But I guess the thing is what we tried to do is have Chewie go with Finn to try and make sure Finn’s OK and Leia went for Rey. The whole idea there I think is that they have a special connection that they don’t even know about. There was an earlier idea at one point that Leia knows who [Rey] is. And we sort of took that out because it didn’t make any sense. Um… because we don’t know who she is! So that’s what I’m talking about – you just kind of keep – things just evolve and you go, ‘that’s not a good idea, that is a good idea.’ ‘Keep that,’ or ‘Lose that’.” (May 15, 2016 – this video has edited out certain parts since its original posting including this part)

Todd Fisher: (paraphrase) “There are big surprises coming – with this movie [Star Wars: Episode IX], and with this performance and with this unused footage [of Carrie Fisher as Leia] – This one is really for the fans.” (August 3, 2018)

J. J. Abrams, co-writer/director of Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: “[To keep Carrie Fisher in the film] we looked at what the story was leading up to this movie, we talked about what we wanted to do. We realized immediately that there was no way to tell the story to conclude the Skywalker Saga without Leia. It was just…she’s too important. And we didn’t want to obviously use a CG character – that wouldn’t ever work for us and we didn’t want to recast of course – and then we went back and looked at the footage that we had cut which I had bemoaned doing at the time on Episode VII and we realized we had the answer to our impossible question weirdly in this footage [of Leia].” (April 12, 2019)

Colin Trevorrow, former writer/director of Episode IX: “I’ve seen all of the theories [about Rey’s lineage] and you know I have to practice how to answer these questions. What I do know is that we’re going to make sure that that answer is deeply and profoundly satisfying because Rey is a character that is important in this universe, not just in the context of The Force Awakens, but in the entire galaxy and she deserves it. So we’ll make sure that that answer is something that feels like it was something that happened a long time ago, far away, and we’re just telling you what happened.” “I love Rey [she’s my favorite character]. But I love her. And I love what she represents in that universe and where we can take her. It’s pretty incredible.” “What’s interesting is I’m not creating a host of new characters. I have a lot of characters that people really love that we’re going to make sure are all honored. No one’s going to be left behind.” “[I want want the presence of Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher to be even greater in my film. I can’t wait] to find new places that we can take those characters.” “They are icons, but they’re also people that have suffered tremendous loss and challenge over the course of all these films.” “By the time we get to Episode IX, I look at that movie as one movie, as three movies, as six movies, and as nine movies. It’s something that needs to honor a story that has been told over a period of 40 years.” “I don’t want to ignore any of it, and I respect all of it. It’s something I think the fan base is going to embrace.” (January 12, 2016)

Colin Trevorrow: “I can’t [say] too many specifics, but [Leia] was really where I began when I started thinking what this story [of Episode IX] was gonna be. It was about her in a lot of ways. Obviously, you know, Rey is the hero and that’s the character who we’re tracking through these films but each one of them has had a character from the earlier trilogy who’s really been the keystone of the film and she was going to be. So it was very tragic and very sad for all of us beyond just the fact that we lost somebody that we all love. And it’s my responsibility now to find a way to honor her and keep her soul and her presence in the film without…without Carrie. It’s very sad.” “Yes. The ninth episode will wrap up [the sequel] trilogy.” (June 8, 2017)

20. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Total non-issue. Vader didn’t sense his kids. His kids didn’t sense him. They also didn’t sense each other. The force isn’t an ongoing maternity test.

11-4D, DarthRosie, KSennia and 8 others like this.
  21. Shadojoker

Shadojoker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    "Kylo using his last energy to turn into Ben Solo"...this movie is sounding more and more like

[​IMG]

22. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    If only whomever left her had left her with the same last name as her father the way Kenobi did:

[​IMG][​IMG]

It would have been much easier. lol.

[​IMG]

RetropME and Shadojoker like this.
  23. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    When you have 30 years to just sit around and hide, the only thing you really have to do is upgrade your armor.

alwayslurking and Shadojoker like this.
  24. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    Keep in mind also that the real Mizzlewump (March 2014) referenced a Sith homeworld, and the daughter of Han and Leia, among other bullet points. Those things were not revealed in TFA (got the planetary weapon though), yet...we're already seeing signs of the return of the Sith only now. In TLJ we saw a changed Luke who was 'the last of his kind' who saves the day at the end in a bad way and an apprentice who took control when he overthrew his master. What's key that is missing...the revealed daughter of Han and Leia.

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2014/09/new-star-wars-episode-7-leaks-plot-rumors.html

25. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    Well, for one, they aren't going to drop big bombs as far as plot points in EU materials barely no one in the GA reads; two, they don't talk about family issues nearly enough as I would have liked in the ST. We still don't know what happened in those missing THIRTY years or why Ben turned. Why is it such a mystery? Why not lay it all on the table in TFA?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.