main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Which region have you lived in the most, or identify with the most?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Jul 28, 2019.

?

Which region have you lived in the most, or identify with the most?

1. USA - West (see map, green)

12.9%
  2. USA- Northeast (see map, blue)

21.4%
  3. USA - North Central (see map, orange)

14.3%
  4. USA - South & Appalachia (see map, red)

18.6%
  5. USA - Territories (see map, pink)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Canada

5.7%
  7. Australia or New Zealand

4.3%
  8. UK or Ireland

8.6%
  9. Europe (besides the UK & Ireland)

10.0%
  10. Everywhere else (I wish this poll allowed more than 10 options!)

4.3%
  1. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
  2. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    Northeast - New England and NYC.

3. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    "The stars at night are big and bright..."

Sarge and CT-867-5309 like this.
  4. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I’ll just post this album.

tom likes this.
  5. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I didn't think I'd find any songs about my city. I found nine. 0.o This one is by far the nerdiest:

tom likes this.
  6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    one of ellensburg's biggest claims to fame is getting name dropped in the last verse of this song lol

and whoever transcribed the lyrics here spelled it wrong

anyway, i've lived my whole life in the green part of that u.s map, but i've found reno, nevada, santa cruz, california and ellensburg and olympia, washington all to be very different.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    Sarge likes this.
  7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I've spent most of my adult life in Colorado, and done the bulk of my professional development and real "adulting" here, but I grew up in Ohio and claim that influence. So ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Ayuh, right about theyah.

[​IMG]

Sauntaero and appleseed like this.
  9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  10. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    American Southeast, North Carolina. I lived in Greensboro until I was 12, and in Wilmington ever since. I still have warm feelings for Greensboro, but I hate it here in Wilmington. I'd live in the Northeast if I could afford to.

11. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Before anyone comes after Appleseed for doom and gloom, I have family that has lived in Wilmington and it's pretty bad. It's a major hub for human trafficking which is becoming really, really bad in the Southeast in general. I just read a story of it happening on the Lynchburg-Roanoke corridor I myself drive on all the time.

I grew up in a small city (which can only be called a city here in Virginia) went to college in Charlottesville, taught there for a while, then returned home. Very curious to hear where in Southern Virginia you lived @anakinfansince1983. If you lived anywhere near a race track, we might have something in common.

Also - a note on this map... it seems to be more about modern political alignments than anything else. States that are near the South are considered the South if they're politically conservative ie Missouri and much more importantly, West Virginia. Listen, I've lived in Virginia my whole life and I can say WV is absolutely the laughing stock of this state, but I have no problem saying a terrible state is still southern. West Virginia's entire existence is based around the fact it is not southern. They split from Virginia and declared themselves an independent state because they did not want to be southern and fight with the confederates. That is commendable but also worth noting because classifying them as southern (along with Missouri whose creation was also fraught with debate over whether or not they'd be a free or slave state) does not align with the key identifying factor of the history of the South. West Virginia is more murky... I guess it's kinda midwestern as it touches Ohio, but Missouri is absolutely midwestern.

appleseed likes this.
  12. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    West Virginia isn't southern or midwestern, it is it's own kind of weird trash dump of a place. My parents are from there, and it was and is so bad that they upgraded by moving to North Carolina. You've gotta be crazy to live in the mountains, they told me, and anyone with any sense left.

You could probably classify West Virginia, Kentucky and Missouri all as border states.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  14. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Unfortunately I have now spent more time in Florida than Canada. So I associate more with absolute insanity, the constant clashing of a very vocal liberal population constrained by socially conservative government policies held in place by Big Money, some of the most violently negligent drivers in the country, an urbanized tropical landscape upon which everything is actually some kind insect, arachnid, reptile, or amphibian occasionally separated by hidden Mickeys or Confederate flags. Oh, and the endless adventures of Florida Man.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I lived my first 21 years in Västerbotten province, Norrland, Sweden, but I moved 900km south to Värmland province, Svealand and have lived here for 12 years. I still identify as a "Norrlänning" (Northlander), but I'm certainly more at home in Värmland.

EHT and Gamiel like this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    @WriterMan I lived in Danville.

As far as @appleseed—coastal NC is great to visit, but living there, not so much. So yeah, don’t be too hard on him.

17. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    As a lifelong resident of Florida, you've pretty much nailed it.

Pensivia and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  18. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Huh, I was just there last week. I grew up in Martinsville so very near by!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I was born and lived in Kansas til I was 3, then Long Island for a year until my parents settled back in their home state of Pennsylvania. We lived in the Scranton area for 8 years until my dad took a job in NJ which moved us closer to the border of PA/NJ (remaining on the PA side since taxes were cheaper) so he could commute home everyday to help my mom take care of the family. My family called Stroudsburg home for about 10 years, and I would come home and visit while living in Bloomsburg and going to the university there. After completing college in 4 years, I lived in Jessup with my grandfather, Stroudsburg with my sister, and Old Forge with my girlfriend over the span of 4 years. I finally got a job with my degree back in Bloomsburg area and moved back there. After 8 years out there, I took a job down in Philadelphia where I lived for two years. My wife and I moved out of Philly and now live closer to West Chester for the past two years. Our lease is up this December so the next adventure awaits!

So with all the moving, I kind of feel like a nomad, but I guess you could say I identify with this song. ;)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    DarthIntegral likes this.
  20. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Toulouse, south France (upper Garonne).

Probably has nothing to do with most other regions of Europe ;)

Gamiel likes this.
  21. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Language warning

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Best Massachusetts song:

23. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
  24. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000

Sauntaero and tom like this.
  25. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    k sure. i’ll give you my citys anthem. shame you wont understand **** cus its actually beautiful.

tom, Sarge, Sauntaero and 1 other person like this.