main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom Fans

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Doom Trooper, Jan 22, 2018.

1. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I love Short Round's theme, esp. played during the elephant scene.

ezekiel22x, darkspine10 and StarYogi like this.
  2. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    Temple of Doom has the best Indy soundtrack IMO. Every time it was on HBO when I was a kid, I used to sit through the entire end credits just for the music. I also remember a few times holding my tape recorder up to the TV so I could record some of my favorite musical moments (including the elephant ride!) And yes, I realize I'm showing my age right now. :D

christophero30 likes this.
  3. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Willie's theme as well. Although Marion's theme from Raiders is sublime.

StarYogi likes this.
  4. StarYogi

Nov 18, 2005
    Yes and Yes. ^:)^ --> John Williams.

5. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Yes March of the Slave Children is quite a stirring theme.

Sarge and darkspine10 like this.
  6. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014
    I watched Raiders and TOD back to back a few weeks ago. It's amazing how well they still hold up and never get old.

7. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Temple of Doom just has this silly, maigical dream like quality to it. there's really no other movie like it.

Tosche_Station and StarYogi like this.
  8. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014
    Regardless of how Spielberg and Lucas personally feel about it, you can tell they went full throttle with it. From the moment it opens it's non-stop thrills.

9. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    It has no pretense of being anything other than a full-throttle, boys own adventure story. It's the darkest but also the most accessible I think. I've probably said this before but it can be watched as a stand-alone action adventure without even seeing Raiders, and you can easily pick up who is who and what is going on. The story is silly, but very simple, there are no confusing plot points to think about. The antagonists are easy to identify, and are colourful and cartoon-like. It just rattles along getting faster and faster and by the time it has reached the end, not only have you watched them on the mine car "ride" but you feel exhilarated, as if you have reached the end of a ride yourself.

It helps that Ford was in great shape and looked good in this one, from the moment he sits down in the club looking tanned and athletic in the white dinner jacket. He was up there rocking it like the classic Hollywood leading men / movie stars.

It will never date, and I see it as the companion piece to the more "grounded" tone of Raiders.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    StarYogi, Sarge, oierem and 3 others like this.
  10. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    It does suffer though from being basically a remake of Gunga Din, with all the imperialistic ideology thereof. Quick, call in the British army! We need to save the hapless Indians from their evil death-goddess cult!

Sarge and Tosche_Station like this.
  11. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    I dunno, it’s hardly “The Jewel in the Crown”, and Chatter Lal has a dig at the British when he, Indy and Captain Blumbert meet before the dinner at Pankot Palace. The rifle company only turn up at the end for a very short scene so I don’t feel that it is too intrusive.

12. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    yeah I've never had a problem with it. I'd call it more outdated that outright racist. Besides it's tongue in cheek.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  13. StarYogi

Nov 18, 2005
    I believe there was some controversy among the Indian authorities after reading the script concerning possible false public perception of Hinduism. They ended up declining permission to film there and most of the film ended up being shot in Sri Lanka. That said, one of my childhood friends at the time was Indian and he loved it (not sure what his folks thought about it though).

The most over the top scene was the palace banquet obviously. India has an almost entirely vegetarian culture. I admit most of the time I will fast forward through that scene. Still makes me queasy. [face_sick]

14. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    there is a giant elephant santuary in Sri Lanka where they filmed it. I want to go there.if you google pics of it it looks right out of the movie.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    StarYogi likes this.
  15. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    That scene tends to draw the most ire from critics who refer to it as being offensive and ignorant in how Indian culture and cuisine was depicted. I never saw it like that, but instead I see it as just another example of how Pankot Palace has become this sinister place with some weird stuff going on.

I'm sure I read somewhere that there was a deleted scene which depicted a hooded Mola Ram skulking about in the palace corridors at night after that dinner. That would have been a cool thing to see if true.

16. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    it's like a fascinating nightmare that keeps bringing you back isn't it?

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  17. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    It's not so much that the authorities declined permission to film there, but that they made significant demands, such as to not use certain terms like Maharaja, and the right to final cut, which were deemed completely unacceptable. Robert Watts told Spielberg and Lucas that they could get almost everything they need in Sri Lanka, minus the palace, so that's where they were heading instead. In other words: they weren't really denied permission to film in India, they opted to film elsewhere on their own, due to the demands that were made.

18. StarYogi

Nov 18, 2005
    Thanks for the correction.

19. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Definitely. I always preferred The Last Crusade as a kid but I remember when I revisited Temple of Doom a while back for the first time in a long time this scene is where it really dawned on me that Temple was my favorite.

20. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Last Crusade is great as well. and the original is pretty much a perfect movie. but for some reason I watch TOD the most.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  21. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    To me TOD is really the peak of the series. Raiders wasn't bad but it really never impressed me that much, never had the "wow" effect like ANH did. This may offend some fans, but Raiders to me was always an "OK" film, while TOD really felt like THE ultimate big adventure and is to me the essence of Indiana Jones. It didn't impress me as much as ANH did (of course I was younger then) but TOD came close. And I think it was the only movie I saw at a theater after which the audience actually applauded. The only other non-SW movie after that which impressed me like that was probably Aliens. Last Crusade, again, was sort of OK, but I simply couldn't get very enthusiastic about it. There was a lot of Raiders re-hash.... (incompetent) Nazis AGAIN, an artifact from the bible AGAIN. While it's still pretty decent it's just nowhere near as entertaining as TOD. It may be blasphemy for some, but to me TLC felt a little like TFA, too much of what we had already seen before. Where the series kind of jumped the shark was Crystal Skull. But there is another thread for that.
    I don't remember any mention was made in the movie at all regarding Hinduism. The Thuggee were a sect, certainly not regular Hindus. That explains Pankot Palace's weird dinner. And you should not confuse what is happening at Pankot with actual Indian culture. It's like accusing a moderate Muslim for extremist ISIS fundamentalists.
    Besides, Raiders and Last Crusade are also full of "racist" cliches, all Germans are Nazis and Egyptians stupid.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  22. StarYogi

Nov 18, 2005
    Whoah there, I think you misunderstood my post. I'm not the one who's confused about authentic Hinduism/Indian culture vs. what was in TOD. Not in the least. I had several Indian friends growing up and was at their house all the time and had dinner with their parents. I was merely reporting that Indian authorities were worried about ignorant people believing what they see in the movies. That was the rumor I'd heard, but apparently it was not correct. But no, I don't "accuse" TOD of anything, and neither do I accuse moderate Muslims of being extremists, etc. I don't know how you can possibly lump me in with that mindset based on my post. And yeah, I'm well aware that all of these movies are caricatures of reality. I'm not that dense, dude. lol

23. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    If somebody said to me "Describe the best of Hollywood action cinema using just one image" I would respond with this...

[​IMG]

24. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    No, I think you misunderstood. I know you didn't make those claims, nor was I directing my reply at "you" personally. I meant the general "you" in the sense of "one". I quoted you only because you brought up the topic, and gave my own thoughts on it. In no way did I mean to attack you! My mistake, I should have made it clearer and have written "ONE should not confuse..." Hope the misunderstanding is cleared up now.

StarYogi likes this.
  25. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    spit out coffee all over keyboard at Raiders being described as an "okay movie." :p[face_coffee]

Tosche_Station likes this.