main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit [Fantasy Flight Games] Because it just keeps getting better

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    FFG always makes/reuses good art.

Not sure if I'd ever use it, but having access to CIS campaign options is always nice to have on hand.

JediBatman likes this.
  2. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    DarthJaceus, Iron_lord and JediBatman like this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Because I'm Gamiel: I have not been following FFG's release and was wondering if we have seen any appearances of any new Force traditions or have been given any new information about established non Jedi/Sith Force traditions?

Nom von Anor and ColeFardreamer like this.
  4. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Nexus of Power, while mostly focused on planets with a history or strong connection to the Force, talks a bit about some other Force traditions, I'm not sure how much is new info and how much is reused.

But what's definitely new is the the planet Weik. A colony ship crashed thousands of years ago, now all the inhabitants have a medieval style society and technology. They think the Force is magic, lightsabers are rare technology they call sunfire blades. There's the Jedi-like Paladins of the Adamite Tower (note: their tower is the bridge of a crashed Stardestroyer, which is awesome). Other groups include the Skyholme Lucites, the Skyholme Astromancers, and the Cendiary Priests.

5. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Someone who's read the new Clone Wars books for the RPG: Do they give us an explanation of what happened to Anaxes?

6. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Sorry for the delay but I had a lot on my plate and only now am finishing to read the latest FFG book I started long ago...

Aside the preview pages posted a while back, there is more about Dathomir and Nightsisters that is new-ish and especially for new canon interesting. The book does go a bit into Dathomirs past and actually adds to it but keeps it vague, it references some Legends past, but at the same time shrouds it in mystery and gives alternate pasts as well as multiple tales going around and the truth not being known. I may get more into it in the Dathomir topics later.

While the book several times refers to Allya, it also calls in question her tale as being absolute truth, given the Jedi Council has NO records of her exile or her apparently. (not anymore? made up by Witches? was she ever even a Jedi or did she lie about that?)
    Furthermore Dathomirs past with Paecian Empire is adressed with interesting wording and even the Republic used it as informal penal colony to dump troublemakers, which is new compared to the Imperial and Paecian uses as such before only.
    The book also reinforces and directly mentions that Palpatine promised Talzin to rule by his side as well as deepens some nightsister delusions of grandeur regarding their own plans of galactic domination, influence and more.

The book is really packed with lore, though some kept vague or between the lines, it is there and all cultuers in it need time to be adressed here. I take questions and look up stuff if wanted. But patience with me.

Stay tuned for more!

7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    @AdmiralWesJanson

I know you're not the biggest fan of Mon Cala ships, so I'm sure you're stoked about the Starhawk! ;)

Personally, I love it. I actually think that a mixed fleet of Nadiri Starhawks and Mon Cala MC85's would be pretty unbeatable. :D

--Adm. Nick

8. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    I'd not say unbeateable... just cross Armada with Legion and you got nice teams of infiltrators taking your ships out from the inside! Or spreading Mon Cal specific viruses on board via droid infiltration. War ist nasty :p

I know Legends is gone, but I would just need one Fallanassi to have your ships fight each other thx to powerful illusions! Or use one of Thrawns repurposed Mole miners to hijack entire fleets :cool:

PS: cetero censeo Dac esse delendam!

Cronal likes this.
  9. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    More Collapse of the Republic intel: If I put something in "" it is a direct quote from the boo!

Dathomir has humans, Zabrak, but the majority are Dathomirians, an all female near-human species with pale white, blue or gray skin. Hair can be any color of the rainbow.

"Dathomirians have multiple stories about their origins - all contradictory. One commonly told story claims the Jedi Council exiled a woman named Allya, who trained the women of Dathomir in the Force. The Council has no such record. At least one band of exiles survived on the vibrant yet violent planet. These proto-Dathomirians continued to explpre the Force, applying their discoveries toward practical uses, creating the alchemy, magicks and weapons they now employ.
    Over generations since, these people - who began calling themselves Nightsisters - bonded with the human and Zabrak criminals exiled (...). They remained a matrilineal and female-only society; the male humans and Zabrak are never invited to join their clans. "

Few rejected the nightsister ways and magicks and live as hermits. Should they intend to return to the clans they only need to proof "her lineage through a genetic test, via a magickal ritual, or by revaling secret Nightsister knowledge. Once a Nightsister, always a Nightsister."

Dathomirians are divided by clans lead by a Mother who passes down her wisdom orally or in written form. "Dathomiri society contains quite a number of texts by thee Mothers (plural!), somtimes based on specific theme of wisdom , using shadows, light, law or other metaphors to teach their lessons. The tomes blend history, spirituality, local knowledge, folklore and insight."

"Some of the Nightsisters wisdowm has come from their exploration of the many ancient ruins scattered across the planet." (a reference without mention to the Kwa?)

"Most Nightsisters believe Dathomir hosted at least one empire in the ancient past, though this is unverified." (Kwa Empire? Paecian Empire? Dathomiri-Sith Empire during New Sith Wars era?)

Dathomiri and Nightbrothers have repurposed some of the ancient ruins to their own use, turning them into temples with stone facades depicting revered Nightsisters and Zabrak. (proof that the locations we saw in TCW are of Kwa origin???)

Dathomiri language, they speak a basic dialect mixed with criminal slang from across the galaxy (due to the exiles) and they also speak a language called Paecian, extracted from the ruins of Dathomir. (proof the above ruin mentions are Paecian and not Kwa?). Dathomiri language mixes Paecian, Basic and Criminal Slang words.

Also the book confirms further that Mother Talzin sent sisters away to earn credits, gather intelligence in the galaxy at large. Over time, more and more Nightsisters banded together under her, so she leads not just her own clan but all Nightsisters at some point in the Clone Wars.

10. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    for those who want to know, the book details a bit more the Confederacy relations between corporations and separatist senate and in several spots clarifies a lot of questions we had over the years about them.

In short, its like this: All separatists are united by a common enemy and the prospect of doing their own thing once the war is over. Without a uniting threat, some think they may go independant without the Confederacy afterwards. While many smaller worlds joined the Confederacy for different reasons the corporations did, they soon found themselves exploited by them and had to give up land, rights and other ressources in order to buy protection if unable to do so themselves. The book also clarifies, the Confederacy droid army is for attack only, leaving defense basically to local non-droid forces mostly except for few critical bases and centers. The Senate is nearly powerless given Dooku and the Corporate run council are the true leaders. But too often newly joining worlds learn that too late. Many join because the Republic allows no trade with separatist aligned worlds and facing the ruin of their economy, worlds then secede to keep the business running, not for ideological reasons, until they fall prey to the big corporations needs.

A lot from the TCW show is adressed and deepened in the book. Including failed attempts at peace talks, Banking Clan and Trade Federation working both sides with only rogue elements joining the Separatists, etc.

more Nightsister stuff from the book:

-"Nightsisters transform their own blood via rituals into pure ichor bestowing an unnatural Forcesensitivity."
    -"They can create powerful items from raw ichor, grant a physical being gifts, and even raise the dead."

This reinforces my comparison between the ichor mists to the Anzati's Soulsoup of Anzat where the dead are supposed to reside, join up with.

So is this ichor maybe a perversion of the Force? The Force is life, creates and permeates it and life returns to it after death. But what if the return is prevented and instead channelled into the ichor-y mists like on Anzat and Dathomir? That would mean, the Force is weakened and the power within these mists is power stolen from the dead that were not allowed to rejoin the Force. Necromancy at its best, which makes sense then that Nightsisters can raise the dead with it or transform it into objects, as Jedi and Forceusers can not do given they do not steal from the Force its lifeenergy forcibly.

If my assumption is true, nightsisters transforming their blood, the essence of life so to speak into ichor while alive, connects them even more so to the mists, empowering them, as well as granting them a status between life and death.. as Mother Talzin several times employed before her final death.

With all Nightsisters dead now after the massacre of the Clone Wars... the mists must be more powerful than ever before given the fresh input they got. Waiting to be tapped, either by Maul making his Crimson Dawn base on Dathomir, or later on Ghezerion and others.

Headcanon sidethought: Dathomir is red, Ichor is green... the more ichor, the greener Dathomir becomes? As in Legends post ROTJ? Maybe? Was TCW Dathomir red because the nightsister rise and heavy use of it depleted the green? And yub... Soylent Green is people! Another paralell that fits here!

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The SSD is even more beautiful than I had imagined. (Quarter shown for scale). [​IMG]

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It's missing the Alliance Starbird to show of it's full beauty.

13. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Because you are Gamiel, Jello will probably show some mercy.

Gamiel likes this.
  14. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

Ah Jello just hid the Starbird with a coin :p we all know this to be true!

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Wonder why they decided to outright state that the Jedi order have no records of Allya. Also, was it not Luke who proclaimed that Allya was a Jedi, not any dathomirian, in CoPL?

I so want to know if the book is using ichor right here or not :-B

That could mean that the nightsisters get a power bonus while on their home planet [face_thinking]

Only until the GM decide that it's not so, or it's explained in canon that some survived

I smell a PC origin!

16. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005

I don't mind Mon Cals, I just don't like seeing them focused on at the expense of everything else.

I do like the Starhawk, especially with the comparison to the B5 Omega class. Hoping it is in the 2K plus range, otherwise it makes it seem a bit odd that one could drag an executor out of orbit. Not sure what the obsession some people have with pushing for the smallest possible case for ships.

If it is missing, just use vader to choke another officer and reroll some dice!

I just picked up mine today. Now to figure out where to store/display the thing. Maybe sit it on top of my old Star Wars Minis AT AT?

17. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Seems like another case of not setting things in stone so that GM's can roll however they want with it. "If she wasn't a Jedi, then who was she?" sounds like a potential plot hook for the right kind of character.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But they are setting something in stone by doing that: now it's set in stone that the Jedi order have no records of her.

19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Would be funny if she was actually an exiled Sith...

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Since it was ca. 600 years ago Allya appeared on Dathomir so do she have to be a Baneite Sith if she was a Sith and then the questions that follows are: was she a master or an apprentice? And why was she left on Dathomir?

21. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    Isn't it possible that Allya wasn't her real name, and the Jedi had records of her under another name? I don't think this is the route they're taking with the establishment of the Dathomiri, but it's still possible, right?

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  22. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I mean they still had Phanius down as one of the Lost Twenty and did not realise he was Ruin, so...

23. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I know, I was just teasing you a bit. I'm actually stoked that they went with the Nadiri Starhawk vs. another MC design. I definitely want an MC85 for Armada one day, but I'm beyond happy we got the Starhawk first. It definitely reminds me of a bulkier, beefed up B5 Omega-class. Size wise, here is a good comparison from Twitter based on the assumption that the shield/sensor globes are the same size as an ISD's:

[​IMG]

It also shows how freaking HUGE the MC85 cruiser is. I definitely like the idea of the NRDF's home fleet being build around a large battle line of mixed MC85's and Starhawks.

--Adm. Nick

Iron_lord, JediBatman and KerkKorpil like this.
  24. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    I like the "under another name" angle... fits with my Sunrider/daBoda theory hehe

Would that make her one of the Lost 20? Jedi kept records of those, so, why how and when and by who were records destroyed or edited so Jedi had their previous records no more? And even without records... Yoda would have been alive and memorized it maybe... so how can one evade the question of Yoda finding out records are gone?

Well it is not important what one became, the Lost 20 are just lost ones.. doesn't tell what happened afterwards.

Golbolco likes this.
  25. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    This might be somewhat tangential, but I don’t understand the Lost Twenty number at all. From 2000 BBY onwards only 20 people left the order? I assume specifically they were Jedi masters, or otherwise Jedi of some kind of distinction, but it still feels implausible to me.