main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming "That's rad!": The Yakuza Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ramza, May 30, 2019.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Since I know a couple of other Community posters are also fans of this series, I decided to make a thread for the premier mahjong simulator on the market. Also something about gangsters or something, I guess.

Yakuza is a series of excellent mahjong games that essentially takes the Shenmue formula of creating immersion through detail rather than scope, but with the added twist of having gameplay that's actually fun. Where most open world games traditionally focus on a huge map, a Yakuza title will focus on a small number of cities (typically only one or two) peppered with loads of side quests and activities so fleshed out they basically become entire games in their own right.

The appeal is twofold - you can be interested in the crime drama, which follows a lot of traditional (read: pre-Battles Without Honor or Humanity/pre-Godfather) tropes about honorable criminals doing crimes but like, honorable crimes, and there's honor, and brotherhood, and crimes, but you can also be interested in the multi-part sidequest where you teach a gay erotic photography artist that it's important to not exploit his subjects for financial gain. So, basically, there's an ultra-serious melodrama taking place against a background of chickens running real estate agencies. It works, though I'm not sure why.

Currently we're probably waiting on an announcement of the localization of the recent remasters of Yakuza 3-5 (Ryu ga Gotoku 3-5 if you're a giant weeb) which have come out in Japan, really seem to exist for the purposes of the Western audience that has recently begun to grow for these titles in the wake of Yakuza 0, and are generally considered some of the series highlights. Will we get an announcement at E3? Maybe.

In the meantime, enjoy this typical selection of gameplay moments:

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I have been dying to play these games, specifically because Shenmue was my favorite game for a very long time and they remind me of that in their world-building and story-focus. I have Zero and Kiwami, and plan to play them in that order.

Of course, for the last year a lot of my play time has been dedicated to making my way all the way through Kingdom Hearts. So I think once that's over, Yakuza will be my next series. I played the demo for Yakuza 6 back when that was out and loved it.

So yes... basically I have nothing to add right now, except that I will be playing these games soonish.

3. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    So the biggest tip I can give a newcomer (and probably one of the biggest points of divergence from its Shenmue roots) is that once the game opens up you're never, and I mean never, actually in a hurry. The plot will claim something needs to be done immediately, but this is a huge lie. Take the time to go do fun stuff in between objectives.

4. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Is this where I sign up to the Nugget appreciation club?

Ramza likes this.
  5. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    That's good to know. When you have a neat world like this with lots of things to do, it can feel sucky to have to rush through. I'm not one to get caught up for *too* long in mini-games, but I could probably be convinced to do some karaoke :D

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Since you're planning to play 0 and Kiwami I recommend the slot cars for reasons I cannot fully divulge.

7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I'll have to keep that in mind, even though I don't know what a slot car is.

8. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Do you know what scalextrics are? They're that.

I had this set as a kid.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah the glorious plot bollocks of this series - and everyone sells it with such conviction. It's utter balls from start to finish of macho posturing but so entertaining.

The one thing I miss from the Kiwami games is the crap-talking intro that was in 3 and 4, can't recall if it was in 5 and 0. You walk along a street, some dude comes and picks a fight, you beat the crap out of him and his friends, there's a scene of apology and compensation!

10. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Since I can't seem to find the "What are you currently playing?" thread, I would just like to say that I recently started playing Yakuza 0 and am enjoying it very much.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yes. Welcome to the club Reynar-san, now step this way for your welcome beatdown from Majima-san..... Unless you beat him.

Reynar_Tedros and Chewgumma like this.
  12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Ahhh I am trying to decide my next PS4 game to play, and thought I was deciding between Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Astrobot Rescue Mission.... but then I forgot about Yakuza 0! Oh no! What do I do.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Play Yakuza 0.

Then Kiwami

Then Kiwami 2

It's a hell of a good trilogy. The games are ridiculously fun and if you have any inclination towards minigames, well.... Say goodbye to your life.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I have those three and that was the order I was going to play them.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yakuza 0 is quite brilliant in that it works both for those who played 3-5, like me, while also being just as good as a starting point.

3 is getting a PS4 remaster too, but not a full remake like 1-2. 4-5 will likely follow, but I've seen no confirmed release dates for these yet.

The other great thing about the Yakuza games is: You've had a bad day at work, a whole lot of frustration - so going medieval on a bunch of thugs in Japan is a hugely satisfying venting session.

16. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    The remasters of 3, 4 and 5 are coming to the west, with 3 having shadow dropped today.

The titles aren't available individually, so you might want to wait a few months if you want all the games right off the bat.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeeeep, just saw that on Reddit and I'm stoked. Now I can play literally all the games remastered on my PS4. I may indeed play Yakuza 0 as my next game now. Just need to play the last level of Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Chewgumma and Jedi Ben like this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    And 3 is superbly nuts. It's also the last before they start doing split character narratives, returning to Kiryu only for the finale.

"May" !?

Chewgumma likes this.
  19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well I have a large backlog competing for time! I might have to play the final season of TWD first for instance.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Nah, make time for Kiryu - you'll love it. The zombies can wait, they ain't going anywhere.

Chewgumma likes this.
  21. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009

[​IMG]

Remember when Sega considered the franchise to be dead in the west? Now we're potentially getting Yakuza Ishin!

Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Think they've missed a trick on the new collection. Think it would have been better to release individually as digital copies, with that limited run physical release in Feb. Could then do individual PSN sales on each too.

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I just do digital games now mostly anyway. And I'm gonna have to play 0, Kiwami, and Kiwami 2 before I get to any of these. So I don't mind.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yes, play in order or we're sending Majima round.

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Oh for sure I'm all about story so I wouldn't play out of order.

I was gonna play this when I got back to my house once my AC was fixed. But now they have to completely replace my AC unit, so it's gonna be a bit longer.... should I go ahead and download this onto the PS4 in my parents' basement? I think so. That'll be something to start this weekend, Yakuza 0!

Jedi Ben likes this.