main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom Fans

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Doom Trooper, Jan 22, 2018.

1. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    Ohh, ok - sorry for misunderstanding you! :oops: I get what you were saying now. Yes, just miscommunication.. we're cool!

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  2. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Raiders of the Lost Ark should be shown at film directing school lesson #01 in how to make the perfect adventure movie.

It has an absolutely blistering set-up, which tells you almost all you need to know about the protagonist. He looks for lost artifacts, he's better than his competitors, he is afraid of snakes, he doesn't mind spiders, he carries a bullwhip and isn't afraid to use his revolver. Oh, and he almost always loses everything he manages to get his hands on. That entire opening prologue feels like it is the end of the previous 'episode', which is the intent, being based again on George's love for the old republic serials.

Then it cuts to the college and shows Jones in his other guise and off the main story goes...

Sometimes filmmakers capture lightning in a bottle, Raiders is one of those movies. Cast, story, music, cinematography, tone, everything.

It. is. brilliant.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    yes the best opening 20 minutes of any movie ever imo.

StarYogi likes this.
  4. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    I still have my VHS copy of Raiders of the Lost Ark recorded from an ITV broadcast back in the 1980's when it was on one Christmas. It is complete with some really great old adverts like Club 18-30 with "My Generation" by The Who sang over it, plus adverts for The Yellow Pages and the "new" ZX-Spectrum+ computer.

I watched it over and over as a kid, and those adverts are kind of an inherent part of it now for me lol

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  5. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Well, you can't argue about tastes, but here it is, I said it and still mean it. I didn't say Raiders is "bad", just happen to like TOD better, for reasons already given. Besides, this IS a Doom fans thread after all. Also, Nazis as the villains have already been done to death in Hollywood. Doom is refreshing in that they chose to have a completely different kind of villain, an obscure underground cultist leader, NOT Indians in general. I thing they tried to copy that in Young Sherlock Holmes. In Last Crusade they used the Nazis YET AGAIN. I mean, come on Spielberg and Lucas, show some diversity, you do have enough imagination.
    But what's the point of discussing which is the better movie anyway, on a STAR WARS forum of all places? Some people don't mind saying ANH was merely OK, while some say it's boring or even the worst of the saga, while putting ESB on a pedestal. So why would there not be people who find the second Indy superior to the first?[face_dunno]

6. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Raiders is the more iconic movie, but damn if Temple isn't amazing. Easily my favorite of the sequels.

It's so out-there and bananas, and probably portrays that classic pulp vibe the best of any of the movies. Really fun seeing that nastier, p*ssed-off side of Spielberg too, it's pretty rare.

7. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I love both films. I was just joking. :)

8. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    So, a Temple of Doom question that’s always had me wondering...

How far do you reckon they travelled in those mine cars? Seemed like a long way, and not in a circle either.

9. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    @Bob Effette

There could have been a separate mine car going back the other way, unseen. I would say that the mine car could also go in reverse, but the design wasn't clear to me enough to draw that conclucsion

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    Judging from the movie alone they seemed to go in one direction only, and certainly didn't switch cars. Sure, there were lots of curves, but I don't think they went in circles. As to how far, very hard to estimate. I'd say at least 1 km or 2.

11. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Well let's say it's in real time. The whole sequence runs from 1:35min to 1:40min, just five minutes. If they were travelling at around 35mph average , doesn't that give them a distance travelled of about 2.9 miles. How does Mola Ram get to the bridge first? How does the water get to them? We need answers!!

12. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I wonder if the Thugee guys rode the mine carts like a roller coaster on their time off.

Sarge and Emperor Ferus like this.
  13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Probably some kind of health and safety rule about that..

christophero30 likes this.
  14. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    NO STANDING
    SECURE ALL LOOSE SANKARA STONES, HEARTS AND SKULLS
    KEEP YOUR ARMS, RIFLES AND TURBANS INSIDE THE CART AT ALL TIMES

15. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    I actually loved the dark tone and scary imagery, even when I was 9. The mine cart is unforgettable, as is the scene with Lao Che's plane.

"Goodbye, Doctor Jones."

I wish we could have seen Short Round more, maybe as an adult.

This movie's relative isolation from the others is an asset in my opinion. It could be watched before or after ROLA and make perfect sense.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  16. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    For all we know, there could have been enough curves or spirals to hold up the mine cars even though the exit by the bridge wasn't that far away distance-wise. Maybe Mola Ram had his own secret private and straight tunnel to get him outside much faster. As for the water, it wasn't released until Indy and his friends were already a considerable distance away from the source. With all those deep trenches with lava at the bottom I wonder how the water made it to the cliff exit at all. This is just one of many inconsistencies in this as well as all other Indy movies. Normally one kettle of water, even a big one, would not have the capacity to flood multiple corridors and caves in such short a time. In those lava-filled caves all that water would not have a chance to go any further, and most of it would have evaporated after hitting the lava. So we really have to suspend our disbelief a lot watching this movie. But it's fun to watch anyway.

17. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    @Sith Lord 2015 I really admire you for trying to answer that seriously. lol

Respect.

18. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    Oh, you were not being serious? Nowadays on the internet it's kind of hard to tell. OK, that last line of yours
    should have made the sarcasm clear. Guess I must have overlooked it.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  19. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    More tongue in cheek than sarcastic, but you’re bang on, the movie is great fun anyway despite the need to have a great big suspension of reality.

20. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    I have a funny memory from my childhood regarding the fight scene in the video below. Indy's strange groaning reaction to getting punched in the chest (at the 1:30 mark) was so hilarious to my little group of friends that we would rewind the tape over and over again while laughing hysterically. Just thought I'd share that. [face_laugh]

21. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    I’m watching ROTJ right now, but since I’m alone all night, I might make it a double feature with Temple of Doom.

22. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Isn't the big guy Indy fights the same guy as the German mechanic in Raiders? Pat Roach i believe.

23. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Yes, Roach appears in all three 80s Indiana Jones movies. He also was a Gestapo agent in The Last Crusade.

Iron_lord and christophero30 like this.
  24. RogueZero

RogueZero Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2009
    Though I think it’s definitely subpar, I don’t hate Crystal Skull like everyone else does. Still, I’m glad Temple of Doom doesn’t get crapped on like it always use to, thanks to Crystal Skull. Starting as a boy back in the ‘80s, I loved all three Indy movies nearly equally, with The Last Crusade as my favorite.

christophero30 likes this.
  25. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I love Temple of Doom and all its gloriously surreal silliness. There's really no other movie like it.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    StarYogi and Emperor Ferus like this.