main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Marijuana laws

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, Aug 7, 2019.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So I don't know that we have a thread on this, at least not a recent one. I figured we could use one since this is a huge deal in the west right now politically.

Luxembourg right now is gonna become the first EU country to completely legalize recreational marijuana. And wants to convince others to follow suit.

Thoughts? I honestly want to hear from people with whatever view. Even though I personally am very pro legalization for both medical and recreational purposes for adults... Despite never having used it myself.

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Legalize it. Back in the day it simply didn’t have as many advocates as alcohol, and they’re on an equal level for me. Except alcohol is so much worse.

3. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I'm a Canadian and I love our legal bud.

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk

4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Woah, woah, woah...gotta be careful with that. If you try to set an example for other countries, they might try to invade you or something.

5. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes, if frat pledges were puffing weed instead of chugging beer, they wouldn't have died. I

don't quite fathom how people don't know it's never lethal, you can't overdose. They'll bring up how places with legal marijuana experience increased ER visits... But ignore or don't know that these aren't for anything but paranoia usually, and all these people are fine.

6. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Here in the UK popular opinion is rapidly shifting towards legalisation. We've even seen a cross-party research group claim that weed could be legal within 10 years.

The pearl clutchers and the tabloids have since claimed legalisation would cause crime to skyrocket, but the whole reason cross-party support is growing is because all evidence points to the opposite. You're removing a valuable criminal market from the streets and are offering a safer strain of weed for public consumption. Then, on a more cynical level, there's the tax-revenue, which would be a massive boon to our economy at a time when it's going to need all the help it can get.

7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Sure, I'd say the UK could put the tax revenue right into the NHS. They need it.

8. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Nah, the NHS won't need it. Boris' bus said we'll have £350 million being pumped into it every week come November. Weed money would just be extra gravy!

[​IMG]

Mar17swgirl, FatBurt and solojones like this.
  9. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I'll just say that I did not utilize cannabis until I was 27. I smoked it occasionally in Texas. I only had three edibles during my first four months here in Oregon, and I could not stop giggling. Admittedly, I'm a bit of a lightweight. That's why I doubt I'll try it again.

However, I support legalization for both medical and recreational reasons. It has helped some people I know with depression.

10. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Luxembourg is not a country to take seriously. Can't even take it seriously as a country. It's a city with a bunch of hills and some vaults.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Without Luxembourg the union of the Low Countries wouldn't have a cool-looking name.

SuperWatto likes this.
  12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Happy to be back in a legal state.

DarthTunick and solojones like this.
  13. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Well here it goes. My unpopular opinion. First off, I hate being around people who've had too much to drink. People really don't know when to stop or even realize they've had too much. Every time I've been scared in public it's because someone or more than likely two people have had too much to drink and they are fighting or just cussing really loudly around children. I haven't spent time around people who smoke a lot of marijuana, but if it makes you act stupid like they do in movies, no thanks! Also, way too many people have DUI's in this country. I can only imagine how many people already get behind the wheel after enjoying some marijuana. I also don't want to sit behind you at a concert and have to smell like marijuana, or get that stench out of my clothes when I get home (Yes this has happened to me). I don't like to be around people that smoke cigarettes either

Medical wise, most meds say not to operate machinery/cars while taking them. So I really don't have anything against people using marijuana for pain or other medical reasons.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    R2-DK and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't like being around strangers who are obviously buzzed or high, but it's practically unavoidable at any concert or public event. Idiots are idiots; pot doesn't make people "stupid." Speaking for myself I've never even considered getting behind the wheel high. I actually had to refuse idiots a couple times. Really harshes my mellow, man.

15. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I’ve never liked pot and being extremely allergic to it, it disappoints me that smoked versions are becoming legalized.

Eat it in food, use the oil, that kind of thing sure go right ahead, but the stench from smoking alone clogs my sinuses and makes my lungs seize up. To say nothing of folks actively smoking anywhere near me.

So it sucks that all forms are being legalized. The health hazards for others should have been considered, but...no!

Enjoy your weed in your space, but not mine please.

R2-DK, Rew, Darth Smurf and 1 other person like this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My stance has been “legalize it and tax the hell out of it” for probably 30 years now. And I’m pretty sure it would be legal across all 50 states if it weren’t for the private prison lobby. The alcohol lobby is partially responsible as well.

I can certainly see regulations against smoking weed in public the way there are regulations against smoking tobacco in public, and I would support that, but what people do in their own space is their business.

Also reminded of the ending of The Daily Show’s election special in 2016.

Trevor Noah: “So what do we do now?”
    Roy Wood Jr.: “We can smoke weed in Massachusetts.”

17. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    If there's a limit for it being smoked in public, that's fine. I hate the smell of cigs.

18. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    It will be legal here in Illinois come January 1st and I'm all for it. Hopefully the money the state gets from taxing it actually goes towards improving the state but it's Illinois so who knows.....

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I think it should be legal to use in private or establishments similar to hookah bars and such. But I do hate the brazenness of smoking it in public now that it’s been reduced to barely a slap on the wrist. But that’s just dad me trying to protect my child from having to inhale second hand smoke.

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I think smoking anything in public should be illegal because of the dangers of secondhand smoke. All other methods should be allowed anywhere if they're medical, or in any private area for recreational.

Smoking anything is bad for you. I don't plan to do that once I get my medical amount filled. I do have my Missouri card, but dispensaries aren't open here yet.

Is there *anyone* who is fully opposed to it? Should I summon @J-Rod?

Rew and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  21. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    No need, I can fill in for him. Legalizing weed is wrong because liberals support it.

22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Is second hand smoke even a thing any more?

23. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    According to these ads I've been seeing on TV, yes. I'm sorta under the impression that second-hand cigarette smoke is worse because of all the weird crap they put into it...though if someone wants to correct me on that, go ahead.

24. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I am against it except for medical reasons. After the "smoke kills" hysteria now everyone cheers weed smoking? Really?
    I really wonder how people react when the first stoned idiots jump their car and mow down some kids on their way home.

We are not talking about a smart young guy smoking for fun at a festival. We are talking about a generation that now gets the opportunity to become heavily addicted to something in addition to alcohol, tobacco and medics which will negatively influence our whole society.

I don't say that someone who smokes marijuana is a criminal - I say legalizing it entirely will become a big problem for our society

R2-DK and Master_Lok like this.
  25. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm neither for nor against recreational marijuana. I realize it's safer than alcohol in most respects, but I also find that there's a tendency to downplay negative side effects (it's addictive, can lead to pretty severe mental issues, cause allergic reactions, etc.). For medicinal purposes, I'm all for legalization, but it needs to be regulated just like any other medicine.

Oh, and I hate potheads. I don't mean everyone who uses it, but the kind of people who make it into a lifestyle. The kind of people who claims it makes them smarter, and follows that up by telling you about some great epiphany they had when they were high, which is always something stupid. :p