main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "Sweet How Things Turn Out" (L/M etc.) Mod!Challenge Timed Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Aug 8, 2019.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Characters: Luke/Mara, Railin Longstar, an OC, and Tionne

Disclaimer: I am borrowing for fun and with affection.

Summary: Realizing how good you've got it. ;)

AN: This is for the Mod Challenge, with a tier time interval-- mine was tier 2 with 5 prompts and a 48-hour interval to post.

#8 --
    1. Your TV trope is: Whole Episode Flashback
    2. Your weather forecast is: Windy
    3. Your random word is:
    Erinaceous - definition: someone who resembles a hedgehog.
    4. Your recycled challenge quote is:
    "I could easily forgive his pride, if he had not mortified mine." - (Jane Austen, Pride & Prejudice), from the Victorian Quote Roulette
    5. Your picture prompt is:
    (Original Link: https://pixabay.com/photos/gift-pack-give-loop-father-s-day-1420830/)
    [​IMG]

~~

It was so blustery and windy that Mara was glad of being able to take a break from lightsaber instruction in the open-air quadrangle and enjoy a quiet cup of caf with Tionne, the Praxeum's historian. Usually, the weather on Ossus was calm and serene, but the last few days, transitioning into spring, had been rather brisk, but the days were growing warmer, although never oppressive.

"How does it feel having your son and daughter here at last?" Tionne asked.

"It's very gratifying, although Ben keeps teasing Ciera; he's at that age when he likes to combine that with obscure turns of phrase; today, he told her she looked erinaceous."

Tionne laughed. "So, you're able to set him straight as a teacher and Mom!"

Mara's emerald eyes gleamed. "That is definitely a perk."

Tionne remarked: "Guess what they're studying in my recent Galactic History course?"

"What?"

"The Eye of Palpatine."

Mara groaned. The whole thing with Callista flashed before her eyes like a flashback of a very badly plotted holodrama, complete with moof-milking and cowardly exits and general romantic denials.

That was one particular bit of history you didn't feel pride to have lved through, although for LUke it was twice as unpleasant, she was sure. But the whole debacle was one she'd rather not remember!

When she mentioned that to Luke later, he gave her a rueful look and said: "Not one of our better moments."

Luke had no idea why he hadn't realized earlier that Mara was the one for him. Somehow, it had escaped him and Mara but all their friends had known the whole time.

"Well, at least it turned out the best for all concerned, eventually." Mara quipped with a wink.

It was not long after when Railin Longstar showed up. She and her husband were going through a rough time, deciding whether to adopt kids or not. Railin was all for it, Devyn apparently not. He seemed unwilling to budge, at least for the time being.

"I could easily forgive his pride, if he had not mortified mine." Railin told Mara. "I always assumed he wanted kids as much as I did, but he either changed his mind, or I totally misread the signals."

"It may have nothing to do with you at all. It could be coming from his own insecurities." Mara told her in a rare moment of compassionate candor. She had, to be honest, felt more than a qualm at the discovery she was pregnant with Ciera and knew Luke had felt unmitigated joy, but had also wondered if Mara herself were completely pleased with the prospect. Parenthood in any form was daunting, and to add to that, taking on a youngling whose history might likely contain all sorts of trauma and drama ... it was no wonder Devyn was leery.

"So, what are you suggesting?" Railin asked.

"Give him time to get used to the idea." Mara said. "He'll come around, eventually, hopefully."

Railin agreed and enjoyed spending time with Mara, Luke, and Ciera. "She has grown so much!" Railin enthused.

Mara and Railin came up with a mischievous idea on how to help Devyn along in the entire parenting process; show him the lighter side.

They sent Devyn a holovid of the following crazy and fun image with Railin's message: "Missing you, and will be home soon."
    [​IMG]

Railin got a quick reply from Devyn and an encouraging: "We need to talk," with a smiling emojie.

Mara and Luke were confident Railin and Devyn would make super parents.

"Devyn will be surprised at how rewarding fatherhood is, despite the challenges." Luke observed.

"Yes, and also realize how quickly children find a niche you never thought needed filling." Mara said, speaking from personal experience.

This observation from Mara, without equivocation or her customary snark, made Luke love her all the more.

Fini.

++++

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  2. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, this was very nicely done! Especially in less than twelve hours - hats off to you, that's quite the accomplishment! :eek: =D=

Most of all, I appreciate how very 'slice of life' this is. It's a glimpse of the every day for our heroes, with parenting and teaching and helping friends through their own ups and downs. I particularly loved how you worked 'erinaceous' in with the siblings' bantering - coincidentally, since I was brainstorming out loud while gleaning ideas for the word list, erinaceous is now my sister's favourite thing to call me. :p [face_laugh] From there, the Jane Austen quote fit seamlessly into the dialogue. The image of the windy weather and Mara and Tionne stealing away with a cup of caf was very clear, and, of course, there is nothing like a Callista flashback to make Luke and Mara reflect on and appreciate what they have now all the more so. [face_mischief] [face_love]

This was a great vignette and a fantastic response to the challenge. Thank you for sharing! =D= [:D]

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I laughed out loud at this, it sounds so much like something my brother would have done! Using an obscure word to not only insult me, but to frustrate me too!

This was so sweet and I like how Mira put it, a lovely little slice of life! Your use of the prompts were seamless, if I didn't know you had to use them, I wouldn't know.
    Great job!

4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Hahaha! Great use of all the prompts, but I just loved this one in particular. Unlike our other two mods, I'd probably be the one calling my sister some obscure word!

I groaned along with Mara at this. It's been a bit since I've been in the SW'verse, but I will always roll my eyes at the whole Callista thing.

Again, seamless use of all the prompts in this fun fic showing our heroes just as parents and friends. And you were so fast at this! I'm blown away!

5. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    So cute! I love Mom!Mara. Makes me miss the old Legends days!

Mara has mellowed out so much that she can share quiet moments with Tionne and even give parenting advice to her friends. Awesome use of the prompts and especially the quote - it was seamless!

6. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    WOW love this with our heroes from (NOW) legends

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks so much; Legends will always be my heart-home for SW. Thanks also to the mods for this unique and inspiring challenge-- the other entries have been AMAZING! @};-

8. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks for writing this! You never fail to amaze me with your Mara stories. You make her much, much more than a red head that is a deadly foe in battle. Much more!

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Mega SQUEEAGE for that. :* [:D]

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  10. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Luke, that is the understatement of the century!!! Nice response to the challenge!

11. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Such a sweet slice of life story, and I love that you include more minor Legends characters like Tionne. Also, Ben using obscure words as insults was hilarious and felt perfectly in character to me.

12. enzo90

enzo90 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 28, 2016
    Ooh.... I would sooo like to see a "mother/son" talk about this LOL

13. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Another great job on a sweet slice of life—and wow, as others have said, you've been turning these challenge stories around impressively quickly! Wonderful banter and conversation by all characters, again showcasing so many different kinds of relationships, from teasy siblings to friendships to teacher-student bonds to family to (of course) romance. It's interesting to think of the whole Callista debacle as something that Luke and Mara can now laugh about—if nothing else, it has given them a good story to tell! Railin and Devyn have some serious decisions to make, it looks like, but they won't be navigating those waters alone: in the Skywalkers they have the most faithful, encouraging friends anyone could ask for at a time like that. Great job, as always, and thanks for this fun, heartfelt challenge contribution! =D=

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks bunches! This mod! Challenge has inspired all kinds of gems and I enjoyed participating! :cool:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019