main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Children of Blood and Bone (first non SW/Indy LFL Disney production!)

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by BigAl6ft6, Aug 6, 2019.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Well, to be fair, Lucasfilm did work on non-Indy or non-Star Wars projects over the decades so it'll be interesting to see that LFL under Disney does keep that going. As in, one every 10 years or so it seems. Also the first LFL fantasy movie since.... I dunno, Willow?

https://deadline.com/2019/08/childr...y-oyegun-rick-famuyiwa-fox-disney-1202662804/

EXCLUSIVE: Disney is giving a full embrace to Children of Blood and Bone, the action fantasy film based on the bestselling novel by Nigerian-American author Tomi Adeyemi that originated as a Fox 2000 property.

This Is Us writer Kay Oyegun is making a deal to write a new script adaptation of the epic fantasy with Rick Famuyiwa, who remains attached to direct. Sources said that the project caught the fancy of Lucasfilm and that its chief Kathy Kennedy is in the process of making this the first feature property to be produced by Lucasfilm that isn’t Star Wars or Indiana Jones.

Sources said some of the pieces are still moving on this one, but the potential involvement of Lucasfilm assures this is an important project at the studio. Temple Hill’s Marty Bowen, Isaac Klausner, and John Fischer were the original producers along with Sunswept Entertainment’s Karen Rosenfelt and Famuyiwa and his VERSE banner. They will continue to be involved but it sounds like Lucasfilm will have a strong hand as it moves forward.

Zélie Adebola remembers when the soil of Orïsha hummed with magic. Burners ignited flames, Tiders beckoned waves, and Zélie’s Reaper mother summoned forth souls. Everything changed the night magic disappeared. Under the orders of a ruthless king, maji were killed, leaving Zélie without a mother and her people without hope. Now Zélie has one chance to bring back magic and strike against the monarchy. With the help of a rogue princess, Zélie must outwit and outrun the crown prince, who is hell-bent on eradicating magic for good. Danger lurks in Orïsha, where snow leoponaires prowl and vengeful spirits wait in the waters. Yet the greatest danger may be Zélie herself as she struggles to control her powers—and her growing feelings for an enemy.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  2. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Cool!

3. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    It's nice to see Lucasfilm still intends to make the occasional non-SW/Indy film in the Disney-owned era. Love the whole idea and concept of this movie in particular, so I hope it turns out to be something special.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    This is great news!

I think a few years ago there were rumblings that Lucasfilm was still looking at non-Star Wars and non-Indy projects, so it's great to see that they are indeed pursuing new projects (although it seems this one was also a casualty of the Fox acquisition).

I'm not familiar with this series, so I may go and pick up this book sometime next week. It sounds really interesting, though! Seems right up Lucasfilm's alley.

Being that this is another fantasy project, I hope that they are also still moving forward with the Willow project...

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Looking forward to it. Has to be better than Red Tails, right?

Right?

:(

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I thought Red Tails was OK, Not the best, but certainly not the worst.

indydefense likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    the post Revenge of the Sith, pre Disney buyout LFL trilogy of Clone Wars, Red Tails and Strange Magic certainly didn't deserve the critical pile on they got.

indydefense likes this.
  8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Strange Magic didn't make it to the cinema here in the UK (if it did it wasn't in my area). However I saw it on Sky Movies and I liked it.

9. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Sounds interesting. I'm curious.

10. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    It feels like a big budget Young Indiana Jones episode.

11. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    More like Children of Sun and Sand:

Plot Summary:

I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    We missed the 1 year anniversary of this being announced. Happy birthday, development deal!

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Is this still moving forward? It's the first I've heard of it.

14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Might have been delayed due to the coronavirus.

15. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I was assigned to the 332 AEW when I was in Iraq, so Redtails is near and dear to me. @Sarge

wobbits and Sarge like this.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Were you at Balad, Baz? I spent months there from '06-'08. When we first arrived, our aircrews went to a briefing with the 332nd CO. He told us that since we were flying out of his air base with the Redtails, we were Tuskegee airmen. He gave us 332nd patches and told us to wear them. So I'm a Tuskegee Airman, but I would never claim to be one of THE Tuskegee Airmen. Those original guys were heroes.

Patch on the left, 4th one down. Since it's the desert camo version, the black panther is actually brown.
    [​IMG]

wobbits and Bazinga'd like this.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    wobbits and Bazinga'd like this.
  18. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I was assigned to the 332nd and was chopped to TF-134 in Baghdad in 05-06. Flew to/from Balad on Hercs a number of times including a trip from COB Speicher where we had to jump on a moving C-130 to avoid incoming rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    Sarge likes this.
  19. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Red Tails is one of my favorite movies. I was really glad to see it added to Disney+.

I just finished reading this book so I am looking forward to see what happens with this project.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  20. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Sarge likes this.