main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    Even just "I wanted to make it a white guy" or, better, "I wanted this actor for it" would have been better than "but there's already a girl!"

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    ...you get a chance to make a sci-fi game for a franchise made famous for its alien wackiness, for a company that was made famous for making cartoons about talking objects for over a hundred years and whose mascot is a mouse in shorts and you're worried people won't understand an alien main character?

[​IMG]

And I'm not gonna touch the women quota part.

3. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I'd argue that having an alien protagonist would make people MORE interested in SW if anything. Because, while aliens have been a big part of the franchise forever, they rarely get to be THE lead.

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    This is... this is probably the most utterly infuriating thing I've read in this thread in some time. Jesus Christ.

I really don't understand how so many people can have such weirdly blinkered vision when it comes to SFF.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  5. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I'd like to point out that both the OT and PT had MALE lead protagonists. As did Solo as did Rebels, etc. And the ratio of male to female leads even now is incredibly skewed in favor of the former.

So I really don't get Stig's "logic" here?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  6. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    … I don't really have much to add, except :oops:

"We wanted a female character but Rey was already there" is one of the dumbest reasons they could have given.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Reminds me of how even Dishonored 2 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey added in a male character option because they assumed that their games wouldn't sell unless they pandered to entitled dude gamers. And while I love both of those games (both top among my favorite games ever), you can tell that both games were clearly written with their female protagonist in mind as the main character with the male character added on as an option. They didn't really have the guts to stick to their protagonist, or tell the gamers to deal with it.

And don't get me wrong, I'm in favor of options and customizable characters so people can play someone they identity with. But it seems in many instances, developers shy away from a set character who isn't a generic dude.

Especially in the action environment. Suppose games like Horizon Zero Dawn and the Tomb Raider reboot are the exceptions (and even then, they got a lot of whining from the usual quarters).

I'm disappointed in Star Wars. I mean, c'mon, we got Iden Versio for our only other single-player video game story.

And yet I'm not surprised? Sad.

8. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

9. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006

If the sequel trilogy had a male protagonist we wouldn't be getting game developers saying that it made a lot more sense for their game to have a female protagonist.

Of course we can't prove that but of course it's definitely true.

Like seriously this quote is so gross. It basically says that there are too many cooties in the schoolyard and we need some boys on the jungle gym ASAP.

Guys I stopped at the grocery store on my way home from work today and I could have brought my bananas to the female cashier or the male cashier, but since I had already talked to a female teller at the bank during lunchtime it made a lot more sense for me to buy my groceries from a man.

But since Rey is already a human, it made a lot more sense for them to have an alien protagonist.

... Oh wait I guess it doesn't work like that this time.

Yes it would be so groundbreaking to have a video game led by someone who isn't a human. Maybe some sort of blue speedy hedgehog or a bipedal earthworm or something. One day the world will be ready for such a brave step into the future but let's be honest we're still decades away from such a radical idea. Keep trailblazing, Stig Asmussen, ye noble and heroic soul. You truly are ahead of your time.

Especially the part where you say girls are yucky. Realy cutting edge ideas here guys.

10. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Well, you can see his point since we have a lot of other current and upcoming SW material with female leads, like Resistance, The Mandalorian, Cassian Andor The Series, and.. oh, wait.

11. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    There's been a lot of fantastic news re: representation coming out of Comic-Con, especially in regards to upcoming MCU stuff, but one of the coolest things I've seen from the weekend is some awesome Geordi La Forge cosplay, which predictably has been getting crap from people who are awful and getting praise from people who aren't. But don't take MY word for it:

12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    It amuses me to this day that the default in TSL was a female Revan and that the player had to outright correct Atton.

"Maybe you're right. Maybe I just hoped Revan was a woman."

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Just starting A Crash of fate, and Izzy is described as having golden skin. What the **** does that even mean; I tried googling it and that just raised more questions.

vncredleader likes this.
  14. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I haven't even started it yet but I was wondering whether "Garsea" was meant to be a SWized version of "Garcia".

15. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I think it's supposed to be a signal that a character is East Asian (like Aaron Allston describing a character as yellow skinned in Mercy Kill, oof.) Not sure it works. I am East Asian and I used to buy a make up color called "golden beige."

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would guess that it's like bronze skin but without the reddish tint, or most of the reddish tint

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I've been treating it that way, lol.
    She also has green eyes though, so that just further muddles things. There's also the fact that Córdova is Latina, so Izzy could be a bit of an author avatar. Right now though I'm more or less picturing her like the page image on TV Tropes for ambiguously brown.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Don't tell David Lo Pan.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  19. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    My first guess is the same as JediFreac's. My second is that it's possibly a way of saying Izzy is suntanned with a radiant complexion. I feel like I've read a zillion books that describe a character as having "warm" "honey-colored" skin with a "sun-kissed glow" and to me "golden" sounds similar. But not having read A Crash of Fate, I don't know what other context and descriptions are present so my second guess may not apply well at all to Izzy!

vncredleader likes this.
  20. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    arent izzy's scars white ? so wouldnt that help with narrowing down what she looks like

21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Is she creepy and stares? Does she try to drink her BF's blood? She may be a sparkling gold vampire then. This is a teenage romance novel, so...

22. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Carl Sagan was great.

23. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    That clip never gets old. Sagan knows what's most important, not that humans couldnt just happen elsewhere by happenstance, but rather that fiction would portray something so outlandish yet still be afraid to have people of color present. Or even have actual aliens in positions of power. I mean our only alien chancellor in canon was seemingly a stooge and got blown up. Anyone want some aliens in power in TROS? Like not leaders in the military, or of specific communities, but like important political leaders on the galactic stage.

What I'm saying is: Mildly phalic alien who may or may not be played by Matt Smith for chancellor 2020
    [​IMG]

Snap is VP

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Preach it brother!

25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm sticking with Lando, thank you.

Edit: This post would have been better if I hadn't forgotten I changed my signature. :(

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Gamiel and vncredleader like this.